Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I actually like this game and am Blacktoll I'm actually Hideous Kojima rn my bad on Steam and Helborg in-game. I joined some pubbie House (what clans are in this game) and took a town and defended a city. Most of the time though I'm just queuing up battles and leveling my troops

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Game's pretty good. I was going to make a thread about this once the bandit issue got fixed.

You're probably smart to either do expeditions for a bit or (once it gets fixed so they spawn properly) do some PVE bandit/rebel raids on the world map once you hit 30 though. The match-making system will pair you up with 60's and above due to how the leveling system works. Leveling technically stops at 60, but it's still pretty goddamn annoying to roll into battle against someone that can rampage around the battlefield like Sauron. You can level extremely fast in this game if you know what you're doing (Like one level per 2 battles.) but holy poo poo is it disheartening at first before you get to 40-45 or so.

Even though it's a beta (and it appears to be a real beta. They're doing testing and bug fixing and such instead of just showing it off in unofficial early access) it's a good time to get into the game. Not many uber high level or rich people loving up the market. Since the game has Age of Wushu and Eve-like logistics in that everything can be broken and needs resources to repair it's all pretty cheap. You can already see some real asshat guilds trying to gently caress things up for new players by ramping up tarrifs and such. So best to out-level their shenanigans while you can. The top right eastern/weeaboo region is literally surrounded with groups on all sides of the starting area seemingly trying to extract as much wealth out of new players as possible, for instance.

On the plus side, this means there's a clear and defined group of assholes to mess with. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 8, 2019

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 4, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Is that one of the bosses nudely T-posing their way to victory? I've never seen that before. :v: Though I have encountered a few AFK farmers. They usually get screamed at by the playerbase though if they notice them trying to be lazy. Which usually provokes them into participating. So that's something.

Also a tip for dealing with the AFKers: Bringing a nodachi with the life steal skill and it's two starter skills trivializes at least the early tiers of expeditions. It only takes 100 SP to unlock it too, so it's worth getting and extremely easy to obtain. The intro quests once you're out of the tutorial zone will probably give you enough for it by doing them. Failing that (assuming you want some versatility by getting ranged) i'd recommend getting it after your ranged.

The nodachi is a ridiculous mass murder machine designed to just devour entire squads of troops and turn them into more HP via life steal. The downside being that it's weak to ranged due to being the "all in on offense" option of the weapons that's focused around NPC troop slaughtering. Obviously that means it also sucks for 1v1ing heroes unless you know how to abuse the stun and life steal feature. Though that can be mitigated by bringing in your own troops to act as stun lockers and ablative shielding. Regardless, if you're even slightly good with it you won't have any trouble all at nearly soloing expeditions. I say nearly, because the end boss can be a bitch. Especially if he decides to bring archer's you're weak too.

To give an idea of what I mean, I regularly get 100-150 kills in any expedition I take part in. Which given how quickly that means the group is advancing on offensive missions means we're usually at the final boss in seven or so minutes. So I haven't had much trouble with AFKer's so far. Heck, I pretty much solo my way through most of the expeditions i'm in so long as it isn't that one that just shits anti-hero/infantry artillery all over the place. I've not met anyone that enjoys doing that one since it means that barring a coordinated team you're gonna lose a bunch of troops you have to replenish afterwards.

That being said if you run a low mass damage hero sniping weapon like a rifle I can see why expeditions be frustrating. I tried running with the musket in that one expedition where you have to advance through a heavily entrenched village and gently caress that. It works alright on the one where you have to defend the wooden fort so long as your team knows to secure the gates as a choke point, however.

Or to put it in another TL;DR way: The game seems to encourage not sticking to one type of weapon. This extends not just into combat but also what activities are available.

Edit: Also, as another tip: Try putting long pikes or halberdiers behind an entrenched group of spear militia/a unit that can deploy a shield wall that have been told to hold position. The pikes will turn the two lines of spear militia into an unbreakable wall that requires a hero to basically sacrifice themselves/get severely injured to break.

The front two lines of pikes can stick their weapons out in front of the shields of the shield wall. Meaning they can that due to long pike/halberd's knockback they can essentially immunize/vastly reduce the rate the shield wall loses it's blocking capacity. So long as you baby-sit the pikes and the team mate with the spears/pikes isn't an idiot you can wipe about a 1/4th of the entire enemy team's troops with a bit of luck. Which means they're pretty much hosed in the long haul since no troops=getting zerg rushed by your troops.

You can also do this on maps like the "defend the officer/civilian" wooden fort expedition map to completely trivialize an entire wave of content by holding a choke point that can't be bypassed. They'll run in, hit the shield wall of the spear militia, and promptly get stabbed by the spear before some pike wielding rear end in a top hat knocks them back into the crowd for even more damage. Just don't let too many enemies stack up behind them or there won't be any room to knock the NPC's back. Which means the shield wall will collapse due to a prolonged onslaught of attacks.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 9, 2019

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
This sounds cool as hell and I have no doubt it will actually majorly suck. Downloading.

Wait o can play this on steam? Did I just download this stupid shady Russian launcher for no reason?

Comrayn fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 9, 2019

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Comrayn posted:

This sounds cool as hell and I have no doubt it will actually majorly suck. Downloading.

Wait o can play this on steam? Did I just download this stupid shady Russian launcher for no reason?

It's got bugs, but once they're patched out I could see it being really good.

Not sure what's up with the launcher. Though I haven't noticed it eating up my bandwidth or anything like that.

It is in fact on Steam though it still uses the launcher. Kinda surprised it hasn't gotten more attention given the distribution platform it's on. It seems like it just got buried and no one knows of it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 9, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I made a House called FreeriderCompany the idea is to merc for bigger houses during territory wars and otherwise be POS bandits feel free to request an invite

It's FreeriderCompany or 54363 my bad

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 10, 2019

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Got to level 12. No idea what's going on but this capture point mode seems really lame. My troops all disappear if I die, I'm getting stun locked by spear guys I think, not even sure. These fights just haven't grabbed me and the game wants me to keep doing them until level 15 before it gives me the next quest. I also don't really know why there's an intro camp when the first town you go to gives you intro quests all over again.

I really like the whole concept but so far it seems like a mega grindfest.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I made a House called FreeridersCompany the idea is to merc for bigger houses during territory wars and otherwise be POS bandits feel free to request an invite

I don't see it when I search. I scrolled way to the back because I figured maybe it's ranked by how big the company is and it's cool to see a bunch of racist company names and no way to report it.

My name is "Stupid" in game.

Comrayn fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 9, 2019

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kopitar
May 21, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

I made a House called FreeridersCompany the idea is to merc for bigger houses during territory wars and otherwise be POS bandits feel free to request an invite

Look for House 54363

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Comrayn posted:

Got to level 12. No idea what's going on but this capture point mode seems really lame. My troops all disappear if I die, I'm getting stun locked by spear guys I think, not even sure. These fights just haven't grabbed me and the game wants me to keep doing them until level 15 before it gives me the next quest. I also don't really know why there's an intro camp when the first town you go to gives you intro quests all over again.

I really like the whole concept but so far it seems like a mega grindfest.

I don't see it when I search. I scrolled way to the back because I figured maybe it's ranked by how big the company is and it's cool to see a bunch of racist company names and no way to report it.

My name is "Stupid" in game.

The intro town's are very seperate from each other. We're talking "starting out you'd probably starve trying to reach them by walking to them" levels of separate. And the stuff they get into in the intro towns is separate from the stuff they get into in the tutorial camp. If someone started in the intro town as well they would run the risk of wandering outside of the town on the world map and would be crushed by random pubbies when they left the safe zone. Which is expensive until you get through the tutorial quests in the camp and city. Which would pretty much cripple a character. That's probably why.

Also, spear guys are loving assholes. Having played to nearly 30 so far I can say with confidence that a few of their moves are extremely in need of a nerf. They can apply a +25% damage buff to themselves and everyone around them on top of this weird spin to win combo attack (even saw other players call it that). That means they can just melt anyone that gets in close to them that isn't familiar with how to counter their moves.

The solution to their bullshit damage buff and spin move is to back off the second you see them get this red aura around them. It'll wear off fairly quickly and then you can go on the offensive. Unfortunately, most spear guys i've encountered seem to either be pre-made groups queuing together or are smarter than the average player. So they know this and will zerg the poo poo out of you with several other aura buffing spear guys the second they see you go on the defensive to wait out the first damage buff.

Basically it's the current FOTM. Marksmen were the previous FOTM. And before that it was ranged soldiers being spammed left and right to create an insane wall of arrorws and bullets. The previous FOTM's got nerfed so if you're playing as one i'd say just enjoy it while it lasts.

Also, we should really decide what region goons are going to roll in before making a house. Otherwise we'll be isolated from each other and there won't be much point in joining the same house.

Personally speaking, I rolled in the northeast starting region/the place that has a big asian themed city/is basically a giant desert as the starting city since I figured that any of the western/european regions would be filled with deus vulting racists and other associated assholes.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 9, 2019

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I asked for an invite before logging off but I started in the northwest. I don’t really have time to play much anyway so no big loss.

I almost picked the spear as my starter but went with long sword, then took poleaxe for my second free one, which I have to grind out a bunch of games before I can use. Are there any other outlier weapons either good or bad?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 4, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

puberty worked me over posted:

Spear, Longsword and Shield, Glaive, and Musket seem to be the popular weapons at the moment. Nothing jumps out at me as being particularly bad.

Musket is good if you want to snipe heroes or high end troops. I wouldn't recommend it if you're wanting to go all in on slaughtering NPC's. It's very much a single target damage weapon with a lot of close range mitigation designed to help you kite.

Other than that, not really sure. I read on the steam forums that shortsword and shield is apparently insanely good at the moment. No clue how to build it properly though, and it sounds like it needs a certain stat point build to be overpowered.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much if you already rolled in the wrong region. If you're sub-15/20 you could either reroll and get back to where you were in maybe 2 hours tops of matched battles. If you don't want to do that then they're apparently going to open up the middle region either at some point during open beta or after it's over. Once it's open players can cross from the european and asian themed starting regions to each other. It also means you can have cultural wars, since nations can expand.

Actually, it'd be a good idea to at least have a town or so under our control if we can get this started. So that'd be a good time to rush for a city of our own, assuming this guild can't take on in whatever region it's gonna be in.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 10, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I already rolled in Ostaria or the town to the NW. God speed.

A good plan, if we all are able to coordinate, is to take a piece of the map and charge enormous tariffs on the resources there.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
what's this about swording nazis in the face? where do I sign up

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Only this stupid dumb game would think it's a marvelous idea to not allow people to team up if they happen to pick different regions to start in. Corrected OP, when they open up the regions I will just walk over to the Northwest assuming goons are still playing this by then.

I do like the idea of loving with the most "Teutonic" house we can find.

I would be down for rerolling if I wasn't level loving 46 already lmao.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This game is way more fun than I expected it to be. It's got a kind of Guild Wars 1 feel, and the rare occasions you get someone to coordinate with you on th battlefield feel super rewarding.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

NeurosisHead posted:

This game is way more fun than I expected it to be. It's got a kind of Guild Wars 1 feel, and the rare occasions you get someone to coordinate with you on th battlefield feel super rewarding.

Game is super rad. It's jank as hell but fun as hell.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
There's a big long angry thread on the steam discussion board about max durability decreasing with repairs. Has anyone actually found themselves in a rough spot because of that, or is it just gamers being gamers? Having only hit 20 I don't expect that it's going to be something I worry about any time soon, at any rate.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

I already rolled in Ostaria or the town to the NW. God speed.

A good plan, if we all are able to coordinate, is to take a piece of the map and charge enormous tariffs on the resources there.

Yeah. Unfortunately i'm stuck in the wrong part of the map if we're going with the NW area. I'm in the weeb NE Mad Max desert starter region. Anliang, I think it's called? Not sure how the hell i'll cart all my supplies and troops to the NW if we're going with that area, but i'll figure that out later.

NeurosisHead posted:

There's a big long angry thread on the steam discussion board about max durability decreasing with repairs. Has anyone actually found themselves in a rough spot because of that, or is it just gamers being gamers? Having only hit 20 I don't expect that it's going to be something I worry about any time soon, at any rate.

The only time I noticed it was when I lost an open world battle. Most of the matchmaking content seems to restrict or outright nullify any losses you can take by playing the game. For instance, troops need to be healed and replenished after open world fights and expeditions.

This isn't the case in like 90 percent of the available content including all matched PVP and the basic PVE content. Expeditions do actually have a minor version of troop loss in that you need to replenish and heal them. However unless you really eat poo poo during a match it's remarkably cheap. A single training match against bots will easily fund like 12 expeditions too assuming you're alright at both and not throwing top tier troops into a meat grinder.

Where armor and troop loss does count is in the aptly named "Ironman Mode". Ironman mode is a form of match making different from PVE and PVP matchmaking battles where all the losses count. This is in exchange for higher drop rates and rewards. Basically, it's the game's version of taking an optional hardcore mode setting and turning it on. Also, you can't queue for it until you're almost halfway to the point where levels stop giving attribute points so as to avoid screwing yourself.

The other area of the game where this can happen is in the world map. Lose a battle and your troops and armor will get hosed up. Not entirely, mind you. But yeah. After one lost battle in armor i'd been wearing in match-making for several days the oldest pieces had a yellow indicator showing that they were getting close to needing repairs. I also had to replenish the number of troops I had left at a nearby friendly town. Which since i'm surrounded by noble houses that are auto flagged to hostile means the starting town.

That being said, the armor does not decrease in usability by a large amount. To give an idea of it, it appeared that my max durability on my vendor armor decreased by a whopping 1 points after repairs. This was with a max durability above 50. So you'd have to be putting that armor through absolute hell for it to be unusable. We're talking a sustained pitched battle across a day or so of non stop combat, i'd imagine. So either the people ranting about it are just being whiny jerks or they've been up to some ridiculously heavy combat.

In addition all those :words:, many troops have a number of special upgradeable traits (troops can level up too and have skill trees unique to each troop) that reduce the amount of losses they take. Some of which include things like "does not lose as many men when defeated in ironman or open world content" or stuff like that. So I imagine there's something like that for armor out there. It's just that no one has it yet.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 10, 2019

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is there a way to disband a unit?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Archonex posted:

Yeah. Unfortunately i'm stuck in the wrong part of the map if we're going with the NW area. I'm in the weeb NE Mad Max desert starter region. Anliang, I think it's called? Not sure how the hell i'll cart all my supplies and troops to the NW if we're going with that area, but i'll figure that out later.

The only time I noticed it was when I lost an open world battle. Most of the matchmaking content seems to restrict or outright nullify any losses you can take by playing the game. For instance, troops need to be healed and replenished after open world fights and expeditions.

This isn't the case in like 90 percent of the available content including all matched PVP and the basic PVE content. Expeditions do actually have a minor version of troop loss in that you need to replenish and heal them. However unless you really eat poo poo during a match it's remarkably cheap. A single training match against bots will easily fund like 12 expeditions too assuming you're alright at both and not throwing top tier troops into a meat grinder.

Where armor and troop loss does count is in the aptly named "Ironman Mode". Ironman mode is a form of match making different from PVE and PVP matchmaking battles where all the losses count. This is in exchange for higher drop rates and rewards. Basically, it's the game's version of taking an optional hardcore mode setting and turning it on. Also, you can't queue for it until you're almost halfway to the point where levels stop giving attribute points so as to avoid screwing yourself.

The other area of the game where this can happen is in the world map. Lose a battle and your troops and armor will get hosed up. Not entirely, mind you. But yeah. After one lost battle in armor i'd been wearing in match-making for several days the oldest pieces had a yellow indicator showing that they were getting close to needing repairs. I also had to replenish the number of troops I had left at a nearby friendly town. Which since i'm surrounded by noble houses that are auto flagged to hostile means the starting town.

That being said, the armor does not decrease in usability by a large amount. To give an idea of it, it appeared that my max durability on my vendor armor decreased by a whopping 1 points after repairs. This was with a max durability above 50. So you'd have to be putting that armor through absolute hell for it to be unusable. We're talking a sustained pitched battle across a day or so of non stop combat, i'd imagine. So either the people ranting about it are just being whiny jerks or they've been up to some ridiculously heavy combat.

In addition all those :words:, many troops have a number of special upgradeable traits (troops can level up too and have skill trees unique to each troop) that reduce the amount of losses they take. Some of which include things like "does not lose as many men when defeated in ironman or open world content" or stuff like that. So I imagine there's something like that for armor out there. It's just that no one has it yet.

Not that this game has the interest which warrants this, but we could have an Eastern and Western Houses allied with each other.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It’s kind of weird that I am just now to the part of the game where it is about to explain the open world to me but I’m level 15 and each swing of my weapon has done 1000+ damage since level one.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I got this game like 3 months ago before I released the alpha wasn't even out yet and played it when the alpha dropped -- it's fun. But I also thought Tiger Knight was fun so my bar is pretty low for this genre.

Mind if I team up with you guys? I'm gonna be messing around in the beta when I have time and this game is ten times better with other people to coordinate with in battles. Also, did they announce a wipe after beta? Or is all our progress going to carry over?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

No wipes my dude! I'm in Ostaria (the NW knights/European faction) and the House name/ID is in the OP. Feel free to request to join and I'll accept when I login tonight. I'll probably make a discord server too.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Comrayn posted:

It’s kind of weird that I am just now to the part of the game where it is about to explain the open world to me but I’m level 15 and each swing of my weapon has done 1000+ damage since level one.

If anything, it seems like damage will go down later on. I noticed as I got to 30 that my damage to a few soldier types started to decrease due to increased armor on their part. Though this might be because barring a rare schematic you can't get level 20-25 weapons. The schematics drop from bandits, rebels, and their camps. Unfortunately bandits, rebels and their camps are all bugged at the moment.

Due to that the next gear level is around 30 from what I can tell. At 30 you can either buy new low grade vendor gear or start crafting gear that can be pretty drat powerful.

It seems like armor penetration can be extremely useful in this game since I noticed I did a lot more damage to serfs and other resource gatherer types that have low armor. Likewise, i'm not sure how armor is calculated but it seems to be extremely useful in mitigating damage. My ironcap swordsmen on my NE starter character can straight up annihilate entire groups with minimal casualties, barring getting overrun or hitting a bunch of heroes.

Also, I have a character i'm gonna roll NW with as an alt. If the house takes off it'll be my main. I'll hit you guys up as DoomYodel later.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 10, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ok, cool. This isn't going to solely be a goon clan or whatever. That said, if someone is a Deus Vult chud or otherwise terrible, they'll get the boot.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
How important is stat distribution? Can you be effective with both a ranged and melee weapon?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Baller Time posted:

How important is stat distribution? Can you be effective with both a ranged and melee weapon?

Hmm, from my limited experience you'll want something that coincides well with dexterity since that determines piercing damage which is the main dmg for bows, guns. I believe spear plays well and probably dual daggers but I'm not 100 on that. Keep in mind that ranged weapons tend to only allow light armor. I think muskets may allow for medium.

I personally try to keep my weapon choices within my armor class (heavy) So I use longsword, shortsword and poleax

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Glenn Quebec posted:

No wipes my dude! I'm in Ostaria (the NW knights/European faction) and the House name/ID is in the OP. Feel free to request to join and I'll accept when I login tonight. I'll probably make a discord server too.

Great to hear -- I'll hop on and see if I can find you! If you start a discord, you can use the GDN bot to auto-auth people with SA accounts and still add non-goons as you like. :toot:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Kimsemus posted:

Great to hear -- I'll hop on and see if I can find you! If you start a discord, you can use the GDN bot to auto-auth people with SA accounts and still add non-goons as you like. :toot:

I'm not familiar with discords finer things, GDN being one of them. I'll try and figure it out.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm not familiar with discords finer things, GDN being one of them. I'll try and figure it out.

If you need help, just PM me here or message me on Discord if you decide to set one up. I'm sure there are a good handful of people who are playing/will play this game.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Just make sure you don't put points into toughness because 100 health per attribute point is piss even with the Longsword's flat % based heals.

Using longsword, I went strength and armor --- did I gently caress myself? Should I have gone str and Dex?