Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer pal

anyone have thoughs on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Yes it's good

beer pal

i bet theres a lot of people in byob who have an opinoin on dune and if i should read it. nows your chance people.

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
It's very good, but I'm glad I read it when I was younger, because nowadays I don't know if I'd have the attention span for something like that

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Manifisto

may I suggest snorting dune instead

the rich world building really benefits from nasal ingestion

Farecoal

There he go
reading is 4 nerds op

beer pal

heres a question i have about dune: does it have themes? i just finished another really long sci fi book and i was disappointed that it didnt have much themes

beer pal

Farecoal posted:

reading is 4 nerds op

its hip 2 be square

Goons Are Gifts

Farecoal posted:

reading is 4 chill dudes op

ftfy

Manifisto

it turns out the real dune was inside us all along

Stoner Sloth

it is quite the spicy read

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Macnult

if you like science fiction you would probably enjoy dune. most people who have only read the first book say it’s really good. same goes for those who read the first three books but anything after that people get really angry about the book dune

Macnult

i am a casual fan of sci-fi so reading dune 1 was good enough for me

i also loaned my copy to a friend recently and she really liked it too

lol but

body is a dinosaur
canonical dune reading list

1) lynch dune
2) god emperor of dune
3) anecdotes about jodorowsky's dune
4) abuse heaped on brian herbert (rightly)

Stoner Sloth

I liked them up to God Emperor and even that a lot of people didn't like but the first few imo are good reads. But yeah, anything after that I'd not bother with unless you're very bored and find all the earlier ones great and don't mind them being spoiled forever... so yeah, I wouldn't bother.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

yeah, go for it. just realize that if you decide to read the series, the books get progressively worse as they go on

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

It's good. You should read on to God Emperor at least though cuz that's the one where you're either like "The gently caress was that poo poo?" Or "drat that was weird af and owned."

treasure bear

im waiting for the denis villeneuve film and then i will read the copy ive had for 5 years

beer pal

you cant just read a book as soon as its printed, you gotta let it age a few years in the cellar

Korean Boomhauer
dune nukem: drat theres a worm

xcheopis

Generally, people advise reading until you get to a book you don't like, then stop because it won't get better. I read all the original Herbert books and can confirm. Also, do not, for the sake of your soul and sanity, read any of the books written by his son and that other wanker.

Manifisto

lol but posted:

canonical dune reading list

1) lynch dune
2) god emperor of dune
3) anecdotes about jodorowsky's dune
4) abuse heaped on brian herbert (rightly)

Farecoal

There he go

Korean Boomhauer posted:

dune nukem: drat theres a worm

im here to snort spice and find the kwisatz haderach, and im all out of spice

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Lynch Dune = best Dune and I will fight you IRL if you disagree

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Lynch Dune = best Dune and I will fight you IRL if you disagree

Same

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

If your Dune doesn't have Sting, well, it's no Dune at all

xcheopis

hamjobs posted:

If your Dune doesn't have Sting, well, it's no Dune at all

What if you've disliked Sting for decades, though?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

xcheopis posted:

What if you've disliked Sting for decades, though?

Then you're wrong. :colbert:

xcheopis

hamjobs posted:

Then you're wrong. :colbert:

Am not.

xcheopis

Sting sucks. Always has, always will.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

xcheopis posted:

Fight me in the street

sweet geek swag

Adjust lasers to FUN!

xcheopis posted:

That's no way to talk about the man that saved Bart Simpson.

xcheopis

hamjobs posted:

Fight me in the street

Wrist braces at 20 paces.

xcheopis

sweet geek swag posted:

That's no way to talk about the man that saved Bart Simpson.

Sucks! And blows!

Manifisto

xcheopis posted:

see when you say "always" it makes me think you are including the police in your assessment

in which case you are objectively wrongo and should feel ashamed

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

see when you say "always" it makes me think you are including the police in your assessment

in which case you are objectively wrongo and should feel ashamed

I only dislike the police because of Sting, who sucks. Otherwise, they are fine.

Manifisto

xcheopis posted:

I only dislike the police because of Sting, who sucks. Otherwise, they are fine.

okay then, we will only listen to the tracks with gordon sumner on vocals, and everyone's happy

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

okay then, we will only listen to the tracks with gordon sumner on vocals, and everyone's happy

I'll be off listening to a better band. :smuggo:

Stoner Sloth

lol'd

also yeah, I've never read the brian herbert books myself - figured they'd be poo poo and sounds like i was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

beer pal posted:

heres a question i have about dune: does it have themes? i just finished another really long sci fi book and i was disappointed that it didnt have much themes

For an earnest response to this point, you might want to pop in to the Book Barn and ask in the science fiction thread. "Ecology", for example, but from someone who knows what they're talking about, i.e., not me.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554972&pagenumber=1&perpage=40