Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The babies seem fine :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

readingatwork posted:

LMAO apparently concerned christian soccer moms randomly discovered Adult Swim and are having a meltdown over it.
Before they jumped to Adult Swim to make Xavier: Renegade Angel, The Heart She Holler, and currently The Shivering Truth, PFFR did a kid's show parody Wonder Showzen for MTV2 airing alongside Beavis and Butthead reruns and FYAD reject Andy Milonakis' self titled vehicle. Here's a 4 page GBS thread from a few months back that starts out lamenting how underknown it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTdOGsWq9oM

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 20, 2020

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Daikloktos posted:

Before they jumped to Adult Swim to make Xavier: Renegade Angel, The Heart She Holler, and currently The Shivering Truth, PFFR did a kid's show parody Wonder Showzen for MTV2 airing alongside Beavis and Butthead reruns and FYAD reject Andy Milonakis' self titled vehicle. Here's a 4 page GBS thread from a few months back that starts out lamenting how underknown it is

The audio in this made me think my headphones were broken in a new and exciting way.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Daikloktos posted:

Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but man do I not 'get' these shows. If they're supposed to be funny I guess I don't understand the humor, and if they're not supposed to be funny I have no idea what they're going for. I've seen episodes of all these shows and they may as well be tablets carved in Sanskrit for all I get out of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You're supposed to laugh and then feel bad that you laughed at a song about slavery or a character saying "A doctor's sacred mission is to do everything in his power to avoid losing his job."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Wonder Showzen DVD sets are a delight, because you can fall asleep watching an episode, wake up and realize your tv has been playing the same three second sound byte for the last 5 hours. Nothing like broadcasting children scream 'rat feces, cow lips, POISON' to your apartment complex for hours.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've been shown a lot of Tim and Eric clips and I think it's basically the same phenomenon where certain people percieve feet as sexy and I am not those people.

The uncomfortable and hilarious receptors are so close in their brains and the neurons get confused I guess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SolarFire2 posted:

Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but man do I not 'get' these shows. If they're supposed to be funny I guess I don't understand the humor, and if they're not supposed to be funny I have no idea what they're going for. I've seen episodes of all these shows and they may as well be tablets carved in Sanskrit for all I get out of them.

It's more because you're unfunny

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

moths posted:

I've been shown a lot of Tim and Eric clips and I think it's basically the same phenomenon where certain people percieve feet as sexy and I am not those people.

The uncomfortable and hilarious receptors are so close in their brains and the neurons get confused I guess.

Agreed, can't stand Tim & Eric

the fact that they might have had a role in us not getting a third season of The Big O just amplifies it further

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, can't stand Tim & Eric

the fact that they might have had a role in us not getting a third season of The Big O just amplifies it further

Wait, what? What the gently caress why did Tim ad Eric do that?!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Just ratings as far as I know. Tim and Eric stuff was far cheaper to make.

I actually didn't mind Tom Goes to the Mayor, but I didn't care for anything else they've made.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 21, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

From what I heard they threw a hissy fit when they found out the proposed budget for Season 3 was going to be like several times what they were getting for their show and they threatened to walk if Adult Swim went forward with it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

From what I heard they threw a hissy fit when they found out the proposed budget for Season 3 was going to be like several times what they were getting for their show and they threatened to walk if Adult Swim went forward with it

They were barely starting on Adult Swim around then so I'm not sure what weight they had to throw around.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

it's because these shows do things i don't expect them to

moths
Aug 25, 2004

But what if I expect increasingly tired non-sequitors? Will it be crowned the next Too Many Cooks?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's not nonsequitors though, usually it's building on a simple unusual premise in increasingly bizarre ways, rather than just stringing along random stuff. like it's unexpected, but it usually relates to what was happening previously in some fashion, it just takes things in an unexpected direction. that's different from a nonsequitor.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

also even if it was a real nonsequitor sometimes it's just fun to see uncomfortable imagery and situations. it's different from other media and makes me feel differently from how other media does (or at least, unlike other media it invokes these emotions intentionally), and that in itself can be worth watching just for the novelty of it and examining how the uncomfortable imagery is constructed and why it's uncomfortable. "it's not funny, it's just uncomfortable" is still different from "it's bad," though obviously if you don't enjoy it, you just don't enjoy it, and that's ok. i think a lot of people would share your opinion, if that's important to you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's fair, and I hadn't really considered that the uncomfortable vibe is curated and deliberate. (Which it definitely is.)

I more just get irritated with the lol random media and occasional lazy swipes at some kind of meta performance art depth.

Uncomfortable doesn't generally make me laugh, but I'll take that over whatever the other thing is.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

moths posted:

But what if I expect increasingly tired non-sequitors? Will it be crowned the next Too Many Cooks?
That would have been so good if it didn't need to fit a TV slot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's really not that far removed from Monty Python.

Like the actual show, with all its experimental twists and turns and segues that didn't always work very well, not the fondly manicured compilations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
midnight gospel's pretty good to me imo but i don't have astrology conversation induced PTSD like half of you apparently do.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

cool

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Impermanent posted:

midnight gospel's pretty good to me imo but i don't have astrology conversation induced PTSD like half of you apparently do.

Woo bullshit bugs the poo poo out of me because it’s obviously nonsense but people take it surprisingly seriously (often times dangerously so). At best it’s sad people believing they can do magic so they can feel special but at worst it’s cynical conmen selling your grandmother space crystals as an alternative chemotherapy. Needless to say I have very little patience for any of it.

That said I actually finished MG a while back and it managed to pull itself into “good” territory by the end. The woo is still dumb and annoying but as the show progresses it starts to be more clear that it has more to say than just idle shower thoughts about pop mysticism and if anything is critical of how it’s used as a way to avoid dealing with harsh realities.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Close Enough really hit that Regular Show itch.

The best thing about it is we won't get any Moredcai failed love aspects with it.

It was nice, solid. I haven't heard anything about extra seasons yet?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PicklePants posted:

It was nice, solid. I haven't heard anything about extra seasons yet?
Cancelled, unfortunately

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Weird you don't see anybody ever troll like that in TV IV. Do they probe for it?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
actually a 2nd season has been unofficially confirmed (shows up on some people's resumes)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

actually a 2nd season has been unofficially confirmed (shows up on some people's resumes)

I hope this is true, because I liked Close Enough and would enjoy seeing more of it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I enjoyed the Weird Al episode a good bit. Hopefully they go back to the longer form stories for the next season.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember Bushworld Adventures? This is the same dude following up on another short.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRCusack/status/1286161029215301637

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember Bushworld Adventures? This is the same dude following up on another short.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRCusack/status/1286161029215301637
That was awesome. This guy is gold.
My only caveat is that I'm not sure I liked Smiling Friends as much as these other two.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

I hope this is true, because I liked Close Enough and would enjoy seeing more of it.

I worry about Close Enough staying power cause it has a niche ( early to mid 30 year olds with kids) but drat does it absolutely nail that niche for all its worth.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
My only caveat is they didn't go straight to network with him. Or is that prejudiced these day?

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Daikloktos posted:

My only caveat is they didn't go straight to network with him. Or is that prejudiced these day?

Louie CK can basically be blamed for why Close Enough didn’t go to cable, and why the entirety of TBS doing animation mostly failed, Final Space aside. They were clearly banking on his star power and when all his grossness came out I guess they just have up. Least compared to Tarantula, Close Enough has a decent chance of getting a 2nd season

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Here's something that has almost no chance of being good:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1291007059048243201?s=20

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not that the last revisit (under more of John K's control than the original was) was any good either

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I like how pretty much every animation professional I follow on twitter basically went

"no"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can't wait for the first trailer so people can start blasting it's 'cal arts style' no matter what it looks like.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty surprised that everybody's already down on it even without John K's involvement. Like I personally hate it automatically because I hated the original show and don't think the IP has anything to offer the current era, but I always got the impression that a lot of people somehow remembered it fondly.

I guess it's impressive that so many people have changed their minds about the cartoon after learning about the abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I like how pretty much every animation professional I follow on twitter basically went

"no"

Sexual abuse allegations aside, John K was a notorious elitist prick about animation (especially regarding writers in animation) that burned so many bridges it doesn’t surprise me professional animators have this reaction.

The guy had a public feud with The Simpson’s in the 90s that was all his doing.