Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is a void in my life that has been left by Bojack Horseman and it cannot be filled by rewatching Bojack Horseman. God I wish I had even one more show in that vein with that caliber of wordplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

There is a void in my life that has been left by Bojack Horseman and it cannot be filled by rewatching Bojack Horseman. God I wish I had even one more show in that vein with that caliber of wordplay.

That show had some of the greatest animal puns of all time and I miss it dearly.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Netflix did pick up Tuca and Bertie but no idea when it’ll premiere it’s second season due to the pandemic

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Desperate Character posted:

Netflix did pick up Tuca and Bertie but no idea when it’ll premiere it’s second season due to the pandemic

Oh it did?? Hell yeah

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I didn’t like Tuca & Bertie, overall the vibe is radically different. I love Hanawalt’s artwork and I really adore Wong but I’m not a fan of Tiffany Haddish really at all, and the overarching plot of using social media media to “cancel” Pastry Pete just fell completely flat for me and Tuca’s plotline... I guess I just completely forget everything she did except for going to hang out and make fun of the Burning Man art collective.

If S2 gets rave reviews I’ll check it out but I’m looking for Bojack’s mood and humor more than I’m looking for its visual style.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Oh it did?? Hell yeah

Adult Swim did, netflix is still unionbusting.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Adult Swim did, netflix is still unionbusting.

My brain did a 180 on that whoops lol

I like tuca and Bertie as it embraces more on the surreal elements than Bojack did (besides the drug segments). I feel like it’s wrong to judge one season of t&b to all of bojack as the first few episodes to bojack were admittedly weak. I’m excited for a second season

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

netflix is still unionbusting.

Idk where this rumor came from, Netflix's animation studio is very much in the union.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Megera posted:

Idk where this rumor came from, Netflix's animation studio is very much in the union.

They cancelled BoJack after the creators unionized, IIRC.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
https://twitter.com/RaphaelBW/status/1319389848537493505?s=19

Netflix probably had dumb corporate reasons for cancelling Bojack and Tuca (there was hardly any marketing whatsoever for the latter) but it wasn't because of unionizing at least

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Megera posted:

https://twitter.com/RaphaelBW/status/1319389848537493505?s=19

Netflix probably had dumb corporate reasons for cancelling Bojack and Tuca (there was hardly any marketing whatsoever for the latter) but it wasn't because of unionizing at least

Huh! I was wrong then, I didn't see that tweet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing I heard is T&B was cancelled in retaliation for the Bojack crew unionising.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

The Great North is real talk-y, like Bob's Burgers, but not real funn-y

I'm kind of digging it. It's not quite as good as Bob's Burgers but it's still decent and it will probably get better over time as the writers find their footing.

They desperately need to reconsider the opening song though. It's kind of cute as a one-and-done but I can't imagine listening to that for 5 more seasons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing I heard is T&B was cancelled in retaliation for the Bojack crew unionising.

Netflix has a total deathgrip on their data, but word from the Bojack thread was just that they did actual zero promotion for the show. We had dozens of goons who were like "The only show i have ever watched on netflix is Bojack and I only heard of T&B from this thread"

there were some theories that unless your Netflix algorithm had you pegged as an out teenage lesbian it would just refuse to recommend it to you.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Netflix has a total deathgrip on their data, but word from the Bojack thread was just that they did actual zero promotion for the show. We had dozens of goons who were like "The only show i have ever watched on netflix is Bojack and I only heard of T&B from this thread"

there were some theories that unless your Netflix algorithm had you pegged as an out teenage lesbian it would just refuse to recommend it to you.

That's how it was for me, I didn't know anything about it until I heard about it on Twitter and here. I'm not a lesbian, but I'm pretty gay so who knows. :v:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, I was one of the many people who never had it recommend to them by the algorithm, despite using Netflix to almost exclusively to watch adult targeted cartoons at the time.

I only knew it was out because I had been following the production, either through malice or incompetence that show got buried.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Tuca and Bertie seems like one of those "checks off the diversity boxes" shows they expected to be mediocre at best and also pat themselves on the back for airing it.

That it was loving incredible was a unintended outcome and not something they wanted to have to deal with.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Tuca and Bertie seems like one of those "checks off the diversity boxes" shows they expected to be mediocre at best and also pat themselves on the back for airing it.

it is very lisa hanawalt, it is clearly an extension of work from one of her art books (hot dog taste test). like if netflix gave her a show based on the strength of her work for bojack, tuca and bertie would have been the exact kind of show she was most likely to make

this book was published in 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it is very lisa hanawalt, it is clearly an extension of work from one of her art books (hot dog taste test). like if netflix gave her a show based on the strength of her work for bojack, tuca and bertie would have been the exact kind of show she was most likely to make

I heard Tiffany Haddish's voice in my head as I read this.

I'm so excited to have another season of this show in my future.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you want to give your love of all things animated that aired in 2020 (or any other show), swing by the Annual TVIV Poll thread and cast your votes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217

:siren:Deadline for submissions is 12:01AM PST on Jan 18th:siren:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

That last panel is great and nails that "Oh god, this used to be way less embarrassing when i wasn't sober" element of Tuca's character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That doesn't surprise me, there's a lot of bits about Tuca and Bertie that are clearly hitting the ground running and flashbacks to previous stuff. It seems a common thing with TV shows nowadays; they expect you've watched a ton of stuff and don't need to have everything explained to you from the word go. Also means you can have flashbacks putting things into new perspective.

Though wondering if I should rewatch, with things in mind like Bertie having completely ignored the other bakery employee.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only true belly laugh I got from Tuca & Bertie was the scene you realize that the other employee was there the entire time, even when Bertie was jacking off in the bathroom. I had to pause and wipe away my tears of laughter.

Talk about relatable, am I right? Right? Folks...?

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, I was one of the many people who never had it recommend to them by the algorithm, despite using Netflix to almost exclusively to watch adult targeted cartoons at the time.

I only knew it was out because I had been following the production, either through malice or incompetence that show got buried.

Speaking of algorithmic failures, did you know that Season 3 of Disenchantment drops on Friday? I didn't until today!

Truly a staggering achievement in advertising.

HypnoCabbage fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 13, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder if Netflix dislike animation, at least for adult audiences, because it's harder to do the 3 batch orders they like, most animation studios want to work in 20-26 ep batches, so if the show gets renewed, they're committed to around 4 releases.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Is Disenchantment any good? I watched the first half season and it didn't quite hook me.

While I'm here, this is another reminder that everyone needs to watch/rewatch Gary And His Demons.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Disenchantment is basically medieval Futurama with aggressively mediocre writing. There are a few solid gags here and there but on the whole I found it fairly disappointing. Still going to watch the next batch of episodes though.... :shrug:

Also can confirm that Gary and hid Demons is freakin' fantastic.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

readingatwork posted:

Disenchantment is basically medieval Futurama with aggressively mediocre writing. There are a few solid gags here and there but on the whole I found it fairly disappointing. Still going to watch the next batch of episodes though.... :shrug:

Also can confirm that Gary and hid Demons is freakin' fantastic.

Disenchanment is way too focused on ~serious plot time~, it's a show that absolutely should not be a serial narrative. You can't have a really silly setting and also focus heavily on an ongoing dramatic plot. The more serious/dramatic episodes of futurama only worked because they were rare.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Disenchantment is on the lower end of mediocre.

That said, so much time has passed between when I last watched it (Part 1) and now (Part The Third) that I'm tempted to check out some stuff out of morbid curiosity.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You can't have a really silly setting and also focus heavily on an ongoing dramatic plot.

Nahhhh. I can think of plenty of shows that work this way.

e.g. Search Party, a show that's also got a new season out this weekend.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Disenchanment is way too focused on ~serious plot time~, it's a show that absolutely should not be a serial narrative. You can't have a really silly setting and also focus heavily on an ongoing dramatic plot. The more serious/dramatic episodes of futurama only worked because they were rare.

It's also that the serious plot stuff wasn't handled particularly well. It's too serious to be particularly funny but not serious enough to get invested in so it ends up just kind of falling flat.

It's frustrating because there's a good show in there somewhere if the writers can just pull their head's out of their asses and find it.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Come And See posted:

Is Disenchantment any good? I watched the first half season and it didn't quite hook me.

I enjoy it for what it is. There are some fun characters and every episode has a decent gag or two.

But I think it's too flawed to grab me like Futurama did, and I think a lot of its problems come down to the fact that it's not just trying to be Futurama But Replace Sci-Fi With Fantasy. It ALSO wants to be a very serialized action comedy with lots of world building, and since it's trying to do both at the same time, it just doesn't mesh very well, and it goes back and forth between interesting but way too busy and kind of dull.

If you feel like toughing it out, Season 1 has a neat twist at the end, and I felt like Season 2, while less funny and memorable than 1, also worked better overall. If it's not doing it for you well into Season 1, it's probably not going to change your mind.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You can't have a really silly setting and also focus heavily on an ongoing dramatic plot.

i dunno bojack sure managed it

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Come And See posted:

I'll also add a, "Meh" assessment. I powered through to get to the end of what was currently available. The scripts just all feel like they're lacking the level of polish that Futurama got. Even the jokes they reuse from Futurama don't quite hit with the same impact. They're also trying to use big plot points, but, most of the other characters suck, so I don't feel too bad when bad stuff happens to them.

Most of Elfo's characterization mostly fizzled He went from being an elf who didn't want to be happy and make candy all the time, wanting something new, enough to venture into a new world, to being a complete idiot, pining after Bean.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I always found Disenchantment to unfortunately just be the same level of humour as Futurama, lacking any growth from the years since Futarama started, and in some cases dipping into more modern wacky Simpsons level gags.

Basically the least good parts of Simpsons and Futurama in one place with neither of their saving graces, in a way it made me feel like Matt just has never managed to move past the creation of Futurama and the Simpsons in terms of writing skills, which is probably unfair.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

i dunno bojack sure managed it

Yeah, 'silly' isn't inherently dark or bright. (see 2000AD)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I tried Disenchanted for like 4 episodes and I’m gonna be honest, I’m just too old for shows where a central plot conceit is that one of the boy characters is just obsessed with one of the girl characters. The Fry/Leela romance had some great writing in the original 4 season run of Futurama and recycling it here just seems, uh, incredibly lazy and stupid, IMO.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole Fry/Leela thing in retrospect kinda works at least better than... most 00s romances in that they actually get along and Leela isn't opposed to Fry's interests arbitrarily, but he just doesn't suit her preferences as is. And he's not completely single-mindedly obsessed with her.

That said, it's a low bar. I've joked that the Anakin/Padme dynamic in the Star Wars prequels came off badly because it wasn't supposed to be healthy, but it's not like a 00s audience would have any reasonable bar to measure from with literally any other media of the era.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

I tried Disenchanted for like 4 episodes and I’m gonna be honest, I’m just too old for shows where a central plot conceit is that one of the boy characters is just obsessed with one of the girl characters. The Fry/Leela romance had some great writing in the original 4 season run of Futurama and recycling it here just seems, uh, incredibly lazy and stupid, IMO.

Fry and Leela works because they're both entertaining characters, Elfo and Bean doesn't work because Elfo is a terrible character who drags down every scene he's a part of.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Against all odds season 3 of Disenchantment is decent. Not amazing mind you, but it’s more or less figured out it’s tone and the jokes land more often than they used to. Also there’s a couple more heartfelt scenes that actually land pretty well which was a nice surprise. Definitely worth watching if you were ambivalent on the show before but thought it had potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Against all odds season 3 of Disenchantment is decent. Not amazing mind you, but it’s more or less figured out it’s tone and the jokes land more often than they used to. Also there’s a couple more heartfelt scenes that actually land pretty well which was a nice surprise. Definitely worth watching if you were ambivalent on the show before but thought it had potential.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't love the show or anything. But it's pretty clear to me, after three episodes into the new season that the show is more of a adventure story romp, told in the style of The Simpsons or Futurama, rather than a out and out comedy.

So it's not super funny, but it's also doing its own thing. And I respect that.

It's like a less funny version of Wrecked, of The Detour.