Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Das Boo posted:

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1552321600371965953?s=20&t=ekDEPGPWj-IEzKjWxwxjuw

I don't know who the gently caress has AMC+, but eeeey! I worked on this!
Wow, that looks great! Definitely gonna check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Das Boo posted:

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1552321600371965953?s=20&t=ekDEPGPWj-IEzKjWxwxjuw

Oh sick, I was wondering when we’d get a look at it. Those comics had better be upsettingly high rez, yo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Looks neat! Gotta confess I thought the art (at least in that screenshot) looked kinda bland but watching it in motion on the clip looks much better.

Don't have AMC+ though... I'll have to find someone in my friend group to mooch off of

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Congrats, Das Boo!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Danke! It does look better in motion than in stills, no worries. I know we alternated episodes between Tiger and DR Movie, so it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out. Also the goon MegaMan comic shows up in episode 4 and I definitely didn't save the finished BGs from that scene or anything. It's a brief cameo, but I'm so happy it made it in!

I got some real nice work out of this and it's gonna be the first thing I can publicly add to my portfolio since Florpus. I know animation moves slow but goddamn. :qq: Mercifully a lot of Pantheon crew got picked up for My Adventures With Superman and I got to ride that train to job town.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Danke! It does look better in motion than in stills, no worries. I know we alternated episodes between Tiger and DR Movie, so it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out. Also the goon MegaMan comic shows up in episode 4 and I definitely didn't save the finished BGs from that scene or anything. It's a brief cameo, but I'm so happy it made it in!

I got some real nice work out of this and it's gonna be the first thing I can publicly add to my portfolio since Florpus. I know animation moves slow but goddamn. :qq: Mercifully a lot of Pantheon crew got picked up for My Adventures With Superman and I got to ride that train to job town.

drat i have to find anyone with an AMC+ account, that looks super cool. there's sooooo much rad (mostly adult) animation coming down the pipeline

also i started out on low budget shows like Bojack and Tuca and was used to seeing what i worked on air within a year (on time we literally finished cleanup animation on an adult swim show like 4 days before it aired). i recently started working on higher budget shows, and, yeah... still no trailers or promo art from something that started right after Tuca season 2 production ended??? :smith:

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_spuxXnul0U

Helluva Boss S2 started today. Supposedly, they're aiming for a more consistent release schedule this time around; hopefully everything with the animators stays good, because I enjoyed this and am looking forward to more.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve been watching the new Harley Quinn season and I’m really not feeling it. Also idk what the deal is but the animation in the second episode is all kinds of messed up.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

RubricMarine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_spuxXnul0U

Helluva Boss S2 started today. Supposedly, they're aiming for a more consistent release schedule this time around; hopefully everything with the animators stays good, because I enjoyed this and am looking forward to more.

There was so much good stuff in this ep and it's always nice to hear more singing from Bryce Pinkham--I totally got in to A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (the musical Pinkham starred in) because of this show.

Just real impressed with the work they're doing. Was totally worth the wait

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Child Stolas is precious

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Child Stolas and Child Blitz are everything. They're up there with Baby Octavia

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wonder how much of this was meant to be in the canceled episode

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oxxidation posted:

I thought it wasn't cancelled but because it was taking so long they just went ahead and started season 2 and plan on airing the other episode after this one. That's what I thought was the deal anyway.

edit: :lol:

https://twitter.com/AnimatedMau/status/1553431969811275777

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 30, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

The talent they get for this show blows me away

https://twitter.com/Edward6660/status/1553439977257713666?t=mb-ENFNf47GeYopZDC-iVQ&s=19

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

goddamn they actually pulled gottfried out of hell for this?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nikumatic posted:

goddamn they actually pulled gottfried out of hell for this?

:vince:

holy poo poo I haven't laughed so hard all day

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Warbird posted:

I’ve been watching the new Harley Quinn season and I’m really not feeling it. Also idk what the deal is but the animation in the second episode is all kinds of messed up.

I thought that they were okay, but a little exhausting. I kind of wish that I didn't binge watch the first three and wonder if I would have liked them better spread out. Like episode 2 has way too much packed into it especially coming off of the intentionally overpacked first episode.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I enjoyed Harley Quinn but, yeah, I did notice that the second episode had some really stilted, non-fluid animation. Not sure if it’s a budget thing or what.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is there anyone here who really likes Disenchantment and can talk about it? I've watched a few episodes and I don't know if I just came into it with the wrong expectations for a Matt Groening comedy or what. It has some really big names and Netflix keeps renewing it, am I the problem?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Bramble posted:

Is there anyone here who really likes Disenchantment and can talk about it? I've watched a few episodes and I don't know if I just came into it with the wrong expectations for a Matt Groening comedy or what. It has some really big names and Netflix keeps renewing it, am I the problem?

No, you're not the problem, it's just not very good.

They have some real talents on that show and the voice actors are doing their best, but there's only so much good actors can do with bad writing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Bramble posted:

No, the characters are bad. Elfo is a creepy Fry, Luci is just boring bender, and Bean is Leela 2.0. The only entertaining character is John DiMaggio's king character. Also, there is too much focus on a serious ongoing plot, which isn't compelling to watch. Not every show needs to be heavily serialized.

I think the Futurama D&D movie was a warning sign of things to come.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, the characters are bad. Elfo is a creepy Fry, Luci is just boring bender, and Bean is Leela 2.0. The only entertaining character is John DiMaggio's king character. Also, there is too much focus on a serious ongoing plot, which isn't compelling to watch. Not every show needs to be heavily serialized.

I think the Futurama D&D movie was a warning sign of things to come.

There's always fads heavy serialization is something that's just going to happen for 5-15 years. Videogames have that horrible period where everything was WoW, it even bled over into pen and paper with D&D4.0 basically being pen and paper WoW.

Thankfully plenty of stuff exists if I want a fun adventure already. Time to explore classics in new genres.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I still remember the first trailer and how misleading it was. It made it seem like Bean was going to have adventure out of the castle, but then season one it's like oh she actually stays in the castle. Also the payoffs for serious plot threads have been weak, kinda shows Matt Groening is more strong at writing episodes that have don't have an ongoing plot than not.

And yeah the king pretty much steals the show. John Dimaggio will guarentee a chuckle or two.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
There were actually TVIV threads for Disenchantment. When I looked back a few pages it looks like there was a new thread for season 2, so season 1 is probably archived. The general forum consensus was that it was mediocre to bad. There's some fun moments but there's also just a lot of wasted talent and it never felt like they had a good idea of what they were doing. For a show that gets way too bogged down in serial stuff, it doesn't seem to know what it wants to do with it.

It's probably not fair to do this, but I think it also seems a little worse than it is because you can tell that they really thought that they were making a new classic. The show's really full of itself and just assumes that you're going to love all of the characters and the main plot. So when that's not happening it really falls flat.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Disenchantment had bad bones to begin with and then wrapped them in meat with terrible sound design and lousy, aimless bloated Netflix pacing. And I like the show more than most people seem to. I don't think I ever finished the latest episode drop tho and likely never will.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Yeah, I was watching the last drop, and I just turned it off and started watching something more fun. It was just a slog to get through. Multiple episodes in a row that were just completely humorless.

Even DiMaggio as the king turned into a bummer with a multi episode arc about his trying to sort out his trauma. Not exactly fun watching material.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Disenchantment never got to the point of being unwatchable in the 1.5 seasons I saw but it struck me as being rather unambitious with its characters and setting and having a sensibility that was 10-15 years behind its contemporaries

the gags aren’t funny enough to let the show stand on its merits as a comedy and the plotting isn’t new or interesting enough to let it stand on its own as a drama. it winds up being bland but inoffensive

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 31, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a big problem with Disenchantment is that it is constantly rushing through stories. It is hard to care about anything that is happening when you know that in two episodes they'll just move on to something else.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The greatest crime Disenchantment commits is that we keep getting seasons of it while we only got one of Tuca and Bertie (the resurrected version isn't quite the same, but still decent) and The Dark Crystal.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I only watched the first season but someone pointed out how silent it was, just no background noise and I think that is part of why I was just could never get into it

also, I just plain don't like elfo

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

muscles like this! posted:

I think a big problem with Disenchantment is that it is constantly rushing through stories. It is hard to care about anything that is happening when you know that in two episodes they'll just move on to something else.

That is exactly my problem with it. Whatever big thread that finaly gets connected and next episode it is forgotten.

I bet the next season Bean is gonna be with her lesbian mermaid gf for one episode and head to back to save the castle.

Elfo annoys the poo poo out of me because he seems to reset every single time. Bean views him as a friend and he accepts it. Then episode later he's back to flirting with her again.

He is pretty much creepy rear end fry.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 31, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

World Famous W posted:

I only watched the first season but someone pointed out how silent it was, just no background noise and I think that is part of why I was just could never get into it

also, I just plain don't like elfo

Elfo is awful. He's initially presented as the moral anchor character to the main trio, sorta like Leela in Futurama, but in addition to his morals degrading over the series he becomes the sorta simp-y character Fry does, but never in a charming or earnest way that Fry does despite both being idiots. He just doesn't work as a main character like the other two, or even the king, can.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
How the hell do you write an ingenu character that's being a bigger creep than a literal demon?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Disenchantment suffers from a lot of inconsistencies. Inconsistent writing, inconsistent characters, inconsistent plotlines, etc. It wants to be an inconsequential comedy but also tell a coherent narrative and the result is a show that’s not terribly funny but also undermines the story it wants to tell at every turn. I don’t hate it and will probably watch the next season but I’d be lying if I said I’d be heartbroken if it got canceled.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Happy Landfill posted:

Child Stolas and Child Blitz are everything. They're up there with Baby Octavia

my only issue with kid octavia is her voice actress (who is great otherwise) can't really do a kids voice so it just sounds kinda weir still leads to one of the best scenes of the show, but yeah kid stolas and kid blitz are great and that was probably the best episode so far.

i like that he was "kinda" an ok dad within the spectrum of the show, like he saw his kid liked the small urchin child and bought him.

Happy Landfill posted:

There was so much good stuff in this ep and it's always nice to hear more singing from Bryce Pinkham--I totally got in to A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (the musical Pinkham starred in) because of this show.

Just real impressed with the work they're doing. Was totally worth the wait

yeah. loved it, i am kinda surprised they are playing stella as straight up emotionally abusive and probably physically abusive rear end in a top hat from the get go instead "arranged marriage that had some love their at one point but it imploded because reasons". i assume they will examine that more but its weirdly refreshing because i get tired of every rear end in a top hat villain character being misunderstood or etc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the canceled episode was apperently supposed to be blitzo and loona going to that hellhound party and that wolf girl from Vivs orginal musical video would sing that song. but the song was copyright issued or some poo poo so they will have to remake it. apperently its gonna get redone or something and drop someday.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 1, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, I really liked how Paimon is the Least Worst Dad--doesn't remember his son's name but will totally take him to the circus and buy him a friend :yayclod: That's certainly more effort than I was expecting! He also remembered which clown kid Stolas liked! Also, if you didn't catch it, Johnathan Freeman voiced both Paimon AND Blitz's dad

I'm genuinely curious about the Goetia as a whole and all those dynamics. Like, Stolas is clearly one of many sons so that makes me wonder if we'll meet other family members, beyond his brother-in-law, which we know from Twitter. The way Stella threw out Andrealphus' name makes me wonder if he has some clout. And I'm really curious about the implications of Octavia being some sort of back-up heir. Interesting stuff all around.

And yeah, Stella's terrible but I kid of dig her being unredeemable.

Just real excited for the rest of the season :toot:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, I really liked how Paimon is the Least Worst Dad--doesn't remember his son's name but will totally take him to the circus and buy him a friend :yayclod: That's certainly more effort than I was expecting! He also remembered which clown kid Stolas liked! Also, if you didn't catch it, Johnathan Freeman voiced both Paimon AND Blitz's dad

I'm genuinely curious about the Goetia as a whole and all those dynamics. Like, Stolas is clearly one of many sons so that makes me wonder if we'll meet other family members, beyond his brother-in-law, which we know from Twitter. The way Stella threw out Andrealphus' name makes me wonder if he has some clout. And I'm really curious about the implications of Octavia being some sort of back-up heir. Interesting stuff all around.

And yeah, Stella's terrible but I kid of dig her being unredeemable.

Just real excited for the rest of the season :toot:

yeah same. i also like that paimon doesn't really have a shape and just takes the closet one approximation of whatever kid he has. i feel like the goetia are probably like the Hapsburgs of hell and they have a couple back up heirs.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Octavia is specifically a cautionary tale, so maybe the entire point was the marriage failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah same. i also like that paimon doesn't really have a shape and just takes the closet one approximation of whatever kid he has. i feel like the goetia are probably like the Hapsburgs of hell and they have a couple back up heirs.

Oh, I didn't catch that but looking back you're right! That would explain the shadow-y shape change.