Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Movie not tv but if you like stopmotion animation you owe it to yourself to watch Mad God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

I've been meaning to get my sister's HBO Max password and catch up on some stuff and welp.

I've been struggling for more than a decade trying to figure out what could get me motivated to get out of bed in the morning, and thinking about rich people who can go anywhere and do anything and then decide to go to a boring office job that makes everything worse is giving me Lovecraftian madness. I know I'm talking about dumb cartoons getting cancelled and not Raytheon, but, goddamn.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly I’ve never heard of any of those shows except for Infinity Train and that’s only from this thread.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I wonder how unfunny the new ep of Harley Quinn will be. At the very least I'm sure I'll enjoy it more than the A League of Their Own series thus far.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly I’ve never heard of any of those shows except for Infinity Train and that’s only from this thread.

A lot of them are just regular kids shows, which is probably going to be a bummer for some parents out there. Or not, I'm not sure how well HBOMax got the kids accounts off the ground.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I can't speak for all of them but I know that these ones at least are decent if (if you can enjoy kid's shows)

-Close Enough
-Elliot From Earth
-Mao Mao
-OK KO
-Tig n Seek

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe we’re just curving around the edge of a black hole and on this side animation is mostly for adults at this point and kids today would rather just watch computer generated puppies teach them about how being a cop and listening to your parents is awesome.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I would not show Close Enough to kids.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Mao Mao was really good, and it's gone.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Close Enough is not for kids. It's pretty funny though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Why the gently caress would they make their IP backlog inaccessible

Guess I'll just cancel my HBO max subscription

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Why the gently caress would they make their IP backlog inaccessible

Guess I'll just cancel my HBO max subscription

Yet more tax incentives apparently:

https://twitter.com/GroverMcGalahan/status/1560056770998837248?t=v4rrswcbn-f2ps87a94h0A&s=19

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

This popped up in my youtube recommendations recently, and I figured some of you guys might dig this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QTkft7oYc

It's kinda like a Cowboy Bebop mixed with Invader Zim [and a bit of an obvious S.C.U.D. influence]. Some very expressive and weighty stylized animation

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Part of that may be because streaming services are very bad at advertising shows to let you know what's out there to watch.

That's not the whole list either. The second half has less things I'm interested in, but it's not right to cancel summer camp island when they already had a bunch of the show in the can, ready to release. I think Mao Mao also had teasers of finished animation for season 2 that they just...never released for no reason. And I'm a little sad for Uncle Grandpa to be gone.

Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs looked like trash.

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1560051429066153984

There's also Young Justice getting cancelled again, and there's bound to be more to come. But who the gently caress knows how much will stick after the company sees a dip in revenue from just randomly abandoning sources of profit.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Slightly Absurd posted:

This popped up in my youtube recommendations recently, and I figured some of you guys might dig this:

It's kinda like a Cowboy Bebop mixed with Invader Zim [and a bit of an obvious S.C.U.D. influence]. Some very expressive and weighty stylized animation

I love this aesthetic I don't know why but I immediately thought Earth Worm Jim. I don't have 30 minutes right now so I'll have to watch it later.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

pixaal posted:

I love this aesthetic I don't know why but I immediately thought Earth Worm Jim. I don't have 30 minutes right now so I'll have to watch it later.

Goddam, Doug Tennapel is one of the biggest heartbreaks I’ve ever experienced artistically. I just don’t understand how someone who could create such silly and surreal alien worlds would be such a CHUD irl, it just makes no goddamn sense. How could the same guy that wrote Earthboy Jacobus be a bigot, I just don’t get it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to know more about the tax law that says if you take all your product stock and set it on fire you don't have to pay taxes based off of what you could've sold it for if you hadn't destroyed it

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wonder how unfunny the new ep of Harley Quinn will be. At the very least I'm sure I'll enjoy it more than the A League of Their Own series thus far.

Okay, so this week's episode was actually really damned good* and got the first sustained laughter from me this entire season. Hopefully it's the end of the "Honeymoon Period" and the show can get a plot for its main characters back.

* ...because it didn't focus heavily on the "OMG I LOVE IVY SO MUCH BUT I CAN'T/WON'T NOTICE I'M BEING AN ANNOYING rear end in a top hat BECAUSE JOKER DID THE SAME THING TO ME AND NOW I'M DOING IT TO IVY" angle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I want to know more about the tax law that says if you take all your product stock and set it on fire you don't have to pay taxes based off of what you could've sold it for if you hadn't destroyed it

Megas XLR all over again.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Bust Rodd posted:

Goddam, Doug Tennapel is one of the biggest heartbreaks I’ve ever experienced artistically. I just don’t understand how someone who could create such silly and surreal alien worlds would be such a CHUD irl, it just makes no goddamn sense. How could the same guy that wrote Earthboy Jacobus be a bigot, I just don’t get it.

The bug monster hive mind on Earthboy Jacobus was meant to symbolize collectivism, as in Democrats and communists, who are the same. Yes, really.

It’s insane how he can show such empathy sometimes, but also if you don’t want people to die of preventable diseases or don’t want police to be trained to take sexual pleasure in killing black people, you must be a brainwashed bug monster and literally satanic. Even in the same work.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah can I start a studio, pay artists to do nothing, and then cancel the show and make a ton of money??? Like what and why are these laws?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Megera posted:

Yeah can I start a studio, pay artists to do nothing, and then cancel the show and make a ton of money??? Like what and why are these laws?

You don't make money they are tax write-offs so you can take the losses and subtract them from your earnings to pay less taxes. By canceling 2million in projects they can avoid paying taxes on 2million profit.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I also read that if they removed a completed series that they don't have to pay residuals.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I've worked on several animated shows that got erased from all streaming platforms at some point, but they were around for a bit and were uhh... "poorly received by the critics". Two are actually just gone. Not even available to buy and good luck finding them elsewhere :filez:

Erasing shows that are good and came out like in the last year or two is really disturbing. Especially for "residuals". How much could that possibly add up to if (I think) the only people getting those on animation projects are the SAG voice talent and the writer and at pretty terrible rates compared to live action.

Edit: apparently according to an animation guild friend I am part wrong. Animators don't get residuals directly. That money goes to the guild health insurance. So for the union shows lazlav is saving a buck off animators healthcare.

Vishass fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 18, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Guessing we won't be seeing the second season of YOLO Crystal Fantasy either.

Edit: Oh, hey, apparently it wasn't renewed for a second season. I thought it had been, my bad.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Slightly Absurd posted:

Checked this out on my lunch break and it's pretty good! I'd give it a watch!

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 18, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vishass posted:

Edit: apparently according to an animation guild friend I am part wrong. Animators don't get residuals directly. That money goes to the guild health insurance. So for the union shows lazlav is saving a buck off animators healthcare.

Wow so it's somehow even scummier than it seemed at the start! Yeesh.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Open Source Idiom posted:

Guessing we won't be seeing the second season of YOLO Crystal Fantasy either.

Edit: Oh, hey, apparently it wasn't renewed for a second season. I thought it had been, my bad.

Wait what? I could have sworn it was. It was my favorite documentary in years.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, so this week's episode was actually really damned good* and got the first sustained laughter from me this entire season. Hopefully it's the end of the "Honeymoon Period" and the show can get a plot for its main characters back.

* ...because it didn't focus heavily on the "OMG I LOVE IVY SO MUCH BUT I CAN'T/WON'T NOTICE I'M BEING AN ANNOYING rear end in a top hat BECAUSE JOKER DID THE SAME THING TO ME AND NOW I'M DOING IT TO IVY" angle.

A few of the things Joker did got a good laugh out of me. Especially the scene where he walked up to Debbie's car.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Yeah animation is in a dark age right now. After all these cancellations, I tried to get a dvd of final space (sold out) and all the legal streaming sites are missing half the episodes. Now they are removing pilots and trailers from OK KO and Infinity Train. It’s insane the things we are losing right now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Infinity Train is now gone, zapped

I guess that means they're not all leaving at the same time, just randomly

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Yeah Mao-Mao and OK-KO are confirmed gone too. At least the latter is still on Hulu for now

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Close Enough is still there, but it looks like they zapped all the "kids shows" at the same time, so maybe they're zapping kids shows and adult shows at different times/days

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Close Enough has deals with other streaming services so it might stay until those expire.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You'd think burning all goodwill of every fan of any of these shows would be a factor in their cost analysis

Maybe in a year from now we will all be buying their reality shows anyways as every other form of entertainment has been forcibly eliminated

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Everybody will just become horror fans because Shudder will be the only streaming service left with non-garbage content.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is the Tekken Netflix show good?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bust Rodd posted:

Is the Tekken Netflix show good?

https://twitter.com/ColinWilliamson/status/1560545771094949889

It sounds pretty corner-cutty

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
It seems to me like they have too many corners, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
lmao someone forgot to apply feathering to the shadow layer.