Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Having watched the first two episodes last night, I don't think kids are the target audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

netflix is still unionbusting.

Idk where this rumor came from, Netflix's animation studio is very much in the union.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
https://twitter.com/RaphaelBW/status/1319389848537493505?s=19

Netflix probably had dumb corporate reasons for cancelling Bojack and Tuca (there was hardly any marketing whatsoever for the latter) but it wasn't because of unionizing at least

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i don't think there's there's enough action in the Bojack/Tuca & Bertie thread to keep posting in it anymore, but i can delete this and post it there if i'm wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYrCEamNs6s

Edit: VVVV thanks, just did! also found this in the related clips from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XQVSWhANiA

Megera fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 19, 2021

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I appreciate any adult animated show that isn't ugly to look at. Also having Lake Bell voice act in more things.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I'm rewatching YOLO Crystal Fantasy and it's still great. Also Saberspark's latest vid introduced me to Peepoodo, which is unlike anything I've ever watched, and it's super entertaining. It somehow manages to be super crass but not in an eye rolling way.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
We watched about 20 minutes of America: the Motion Picture on Netflix before we had to turn it off because the writing was just so bad. What an astonishing waste of artistry, it's such loving gorgeous 2D animation.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
And teeth

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah, animation people know it's a lovely practice, but the allure of a longer-than-normal job is hard to resist. Thanks, gig economy!

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Danke! It does look better in motion than in stills, no worries. I know we alternated episodes between Tiger and DR Movie, so it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out. Also the goon MegaMan comic shows up in episode 4 and I definitely didn't save the finished BGs from that scene or anything. It's a brief cameo, but I'm so happy it made it in!

I got some real nice work out of this and it's gonna be the first thing I can publicly add to my portfolio since Florpus. I know animation moves slow but goddamn. :qq: Mercifully a lot of Pantheon crew got picked up for My Adventures With Superman and I got to ride that train to job town.

drat i have to find anyone with an AMC+ account, that looks super cool. there's sooooo much rad (mostly adult) animation coming down the pipeline

also i started out on low budget shows like Bojack and Tuca and was used to seeing what i worked on air within a year (on time we literally finished cleanup animation on an adult swim show like 4 days before it aired). i recently started working on higher budget shows, and, yeah... still no trailers or promo art from something that started right after Tuca season 2 production ended??? :smith:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

I want to know more about the tax law that says if you take all your product stock and set it on fire you don't have to pay taxes based off of what you could've sold it for if you hadn't destroyed it

Yeah can I start a studio, pay artists to do nothing, and then cancel the show and make a ton of money??? Like what and why are these laws?

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I guess my partner and I are who the reboot was made for, haha. We really enjoy the "lo-fi beats to study to" vibe of the reboot.

I remember watching the first two episodes of the original when it first came out and really hated the pacing because it came across as a random monkey cheese humor webcomic of the 2000s brought to animation, and I did rewatch the first ep again after starting the reboot and felt the exact same way.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I've never read Lackadaisy, but this pilot (and Hazbin's too, for that matter) feel like you're already supposed to be familiar with and in love with these characters, so I was just really bored throughout. Also the pacing was so weird that none of the jokes landed for me.

That said, incredible artistry all over at every level. I love seeing animation done to actual VOICE actors. SungWon Cho was great as always, and I'm happy to see Malcolm Ray getting some work outside of Nostalgia Critic. That action sequence (while still having those weird pacing issues in it) was really well done.

This, Helluva Boss, and Hazbin make me hopeful for a positive direction for animation, except for the part where I'm 80% sure the artists are getting underpaid (because that's been the non-union industry for at least a decade now lol).

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I worked on a show called Captain Fall a couple years ago and it just came out on Netflix yesterday, which I don't have anymore. I never watched the animatics the whole way through but I thought some of the jokes were pretty good if anyone's interested in watching a really dark comedy.

Also does Netflix still refuse to show anything new on the front page?

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I got to do storyboards on a couple episodes. My proudest one is the helicopter fight sequence in the third ep and the weirdest one was the gorilla disassembly line (obviously no idea how much they changed since I rolled off over two years ago (and the crew is shocked the show actually saw the light of day after so long))

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah, it's a script-driven show so I didn't write any of the dialogue (and Liza using the fist was also written in the script), but I had fun playing up those two just finding childlike joy with each other while they casually do horrifying things. It was really fun for the board artists to be able to use more cinematic angles and not get told we don't have the budget for that.

I really am glad to hear someone enjoyed the show!

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i preferred the show when it was less serialized, but maybe a rewatch would be better.

i also didn't like the fionna and cake episodes after the first one, but wow am i loving the fionna and cake show :3:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I thought it was clear by the end of episode 4 that there was not enough time left in the season to even get to know the other 2 white guys, let alone kill them

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I watched Tenchi Muyo OVA, a few eps of Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki (god, that was awful), and all of Tenchi Universe on Funimation. Then as we were 7 episodes into Tenchi in Tokyo, it got pulled and has never resurfaced since

That was 3 years ago, I'm still upset I couldn't finish that corny show

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 8 has an incredible joke for fans of season 1

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I've never really liked Superman, but I really liked MAWS because of most of the characters (and, as stated before, making Clark's struggle about being normal), but felt the villains were never really much of a threat. The penultimate episode felt really weak to me.

That said, I will be watching season 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Saw that Army of the Doomstar is up on Max. While the plot was nothing really the write home about I did enjoy all the interesting imagery, especially everything around the possession.

It only had like one song too! The Klok Opera really set the bar high, I listen to the score often. My husband and I were just bored with the new one despite the gorgeous animation. Brendan Small made a whole movie for people who are way into the lore while forgetting the band is supposed to be a bunch of dumbasses