Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it is very lisa hanawalt, it is clearly an extension of work from one of her art books (hot dog taste test). like if netflix gave her a show based on the strength of her work for bojack, tuca and bertie would have been the exact kind of show she was most likely to make

this book was published in 2015

That last panel is great and nails that "Oh god, this used to be way less embarrassing when i wasn't sober" element of Tuca's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder if Netflix dislike animation, at least for adult audiences, because it's harder to do the 3 batch orders they like, most animation studios want to work in 20-26 ep batches, so if the show gets renewed, they're committed to around 4 releases.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

There needs to be a balance though. Disney+ having 10 mins of credits for every 30 min episode is just as counterproductive

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

They missed a trick by not having him break the card over his knee.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

The Late Phillip J. Fry basically justifies the Futurama revival on its own

Prisoner of Benda was also good, especially because they legit proved a mathematical theorem for it

Is it Ken Keeler who was a literal math phD?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

just finished scott pilgrim and it loving ruled. music was great, animation was great. i loved ellen wong's voice acting especially, and where knives went as a character

going back and catching up on the thread makes me realize how long it's been since i read the books because i cannot for the life of me remember who lisa is

Scott and Kim's friend from high school who was clearly WAY more into him than Kim was but he was oblivious. In the book she comes back to Toronto for a bit and tries to hook up with Scott because she's feeling down about herself and wants the ego boost, which results in Ramona getting jealous.

Edit:Or was it that she was into him but he was obsessed with Envy in the past... i forget

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 20, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nikumatic posted:

Have they said anything about a second season for Scott Pilgrim?

I'm mostly curious because of the massive amount of WE BETTER GET A SECOND SEASON AFTER THAT CLIFFHANGER ENDING that I've seen around and I am completely goddamn baffled.

Like, it straight up said via title card that the last few minutes were the epilogue of the story and the "cliffhanger" seemed pretty clearly just a "the wheel keeps turning" / joke.

I believe O'Malley has said it's like 85% exactly what you say with 15% "hey if Netflix want more..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, I think half the reason it even got done this time is that the cast did one of those Zoom table reads for charity during the early days of lockdown in 2020 and had a blast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Netflix got suckered by the bingedrop stuff working 10 years ago when they'd drop one show a quarter. But doing it every week means it's a miracle if anything gains traction regardless of quality or demographic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah that works weirdly well. Especially with Todd just being a bigger, dumber Scott, he basically didn't have whatever defence Scott had against Wallace's infamous closet key.

It's funny though that Envy just jumped right to "I'm a solo act now" after she found out Wallace had seduced Todd because none of the other extenuating circumstances that otherwise broke up TCADH exist in Takes Off, at least as far as Envy is aware. So Lynette basically got fired without cause this time around.

That girl just keeps getting the shorter and shorter end of the stick with every new iteration of the story, I swear.

This bums me out as it kind of misses the stuff that was the strongest to me about Scott's side of the story in the books (which is NOT the League fights, those are more about Ramona as the show basically acknowledges) which was the Kim/Lisa/Envy stuff which the show kinda just drops.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, the bacon pancakes mashup was big. John DiMaggio makes for good viral soundbites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tgacon posted:

Also Cody Rhodes and Kenny Omega for some reason

...wait, WHAT?