Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also first episode is up free on Youtube from HBOmax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkKNKtMjJ2o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Megera posted:

i don't think there's there's enough action in the Bojack/Tuca & Bertie thread to keep posting in it anymore, but i can delete this and post it there if i'm wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYrCEamNs6s

:justpost:

It's stuff like this that generates thread activity. No same in reviving a dead thread.

Hopefully I can watch the new season on the Adult Swim app.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would watch a show starring Harley Quinn's Bane.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are the Adventure Time specials something I can just jump into? I fell off the last few seasons and never bothered going back and watching them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

3 episodes into Inside Job and I'm enjoying it. Mothman voiced by Ron Funches is something I never knew I needed in my life, too bad he seems to be a minor role.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

papasyhotcakes posted:

So has anyone seen Villainous? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villainous_(TV_series)

I came away pleasantly surprised at the quality of the series, and it was full of cameos and references to other CN shows and animation tropes even JoJo got a shout out . Its a short watch at only 11 minutes per chapter for a total of 6 chapters in the first season. I hope it does well enough that it can get a second one.

I remember seeing the trailer for this a few years ago, didn't know it came out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Already gone

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Probably a typo or something so they had to redo the tweet

https://twitter.com/SonyAnimation/status/1467294398413262850

Is this it?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't believe that's the episode they dedicated to Marcia Wallace.

quote:

In an epilogue, Ned Flanders recalls how much he loved Edna by reminiscing them doing the tango together, and is sad about her passing (as he is shown wearing a black armband). Then Nelson comes by to say "Ha-ha" until he offered his sympathy to Ned about how he also misses her.

Like they couldn't make the episode centered around this?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mantis42 posted:

On the positive side, Smiling Friends owns.

e: New South Park episode's entertainment rapidly depreciates when it's political angle becomes apparent, news at 11

I haven't kept up with South Park what has that been up to?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Watterson still basically a hermit?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

pixaal posted:

Roger being just as confused how he's multiple people is always a fun gag.

I can't find a clip of it, but I still love the bit where he tries to convince someone to eat at his restaurant, by being everybody and having to stop himself when tries to be an unhappy customer.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Horny internet artist: famous for following character guidelines

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love the name plates flashing behind the characters like it's an Imaishi joint, the whole thing is Imaishi as hell and I love it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crain posted:

They stopped focusing on Beach City and the only good part of that show were the extremely deep cuts to niche DelMarVa coastal culture like square pizza and Ocean City MD boardwalk fries. (/s)

This except no /s

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They said no Scooby Doo, but didn't say no Scrappy Doo.

It's his time to finally be redeemed!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YeahTubaMike posted:

My expectations weren't exactly high, but the most recent Family Guy episode was very, very dumb.

How so?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Das Boo posted:

Bob's Burgers has the most beautiful BGs in an adult comedy series, though. Detailed and endlessly deep with rich color, often cel-shaded with high and low lighting. Oh my god, I love BB BGs and would love an art book of them, please and thank you.

I caught up on Bob's recently and the backgrounds in that one Halloween episode with the wolf had me going :eyepop: they were just absolutely gorgeous.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

readingatwork posted:

This world didn't deserve Neo Yokio or it's big Toblerone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68y7byyWZo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_gofMT48h8

what the gently caress is this show lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

readingatwork posted:

Neo Yokio was an anime parody (made in the US) about a rich dipshit exorcist who's biggest ambitions revolve around impressing other rich dipshits who hate him. I unironically love it and I don't think I've ever seen a show where so much of the audience just completely missed the point.

If I recall correctly most of the criticisms of it revolved around:

1) The show looked and sounded like a bad anime that got translated by a worse dubbing company
2) The main character was an unlikable piece of human garbage
3) The show made absolutely baffling decisions constantly
4) Jaden Smith's voice acting, lmao

But here's the thing, I'm pretty sure all of that was completely intentional. When you lose your mind because a major character beat just revolved around an awkward piece of product placement I'm pretty sure that that's exactly what the show was going for. It's trying to replicate that weird awkward feeling you get watching Garzey's Wing or The Ghost Stories Dub and it nails it imo.

NY also got a lot of poo poo for being classist which is just completely baffling to me considering it so clearly despises the rich. Hellena's speech in the Big Toblerone clip is actually pretty representative of the show's outlook on the subject and Jaden Smith's attempts to make it to the top of a best dressed list or to create a new club drink are consistently treated as vapid and shallow. In the end I think this one boiled down to a lot of people having difficulty with the idea that sometimes you're *supposed* to hate the protagonist and that their actions don't necessarily represent what the series considers "good".

Basically, imagine the show had premiered on Adult Swim at 2am and suddenly it makes a whole lot more sense. Unfortunately it went to Netflix and just sort of appeared one day with no context so most people had no loving idea what they were supposed to do with it. Which is a shame because I think NY is low key kind of brilliant and had a lot of potential that was wasted.

Or maybe I'm just reading a deeper meaning into Em Malley poetry, idk. Either way I thought it was funny,

Not gonna lie I was won over by this other clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBLntBrOPc

The punchline is legit funny to me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flopsy posted:

There was a lot more casual racism in animation back then. But he was unique in calling it out way before most would've recognized how lovely that was. There's a lot of stuff I enjoyed in my youth that's kinda cringe looking back on now, but that's normal I think. Worst for me is Ace Ventura Pet Detective and the big "twist" at the end.

edit: Hell I even found a segment on how ridiculous it stayed even into the the 80's. Not to say there weren't similar things int the 90's but the last one is a doozy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCslIs6juK8

I have never seen Rickety Rocket until now Jesus

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YeahTubaMike posted:

I had similar feelings about Glenn Howerton as Ernie on The Cleveland Show.

How did I not catch this what the gently caress

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's also "who's laughing now" the episode where beast boy grows some armpit hair and then the plot suddenly turns into a bizarre yet surprisingly in-depth and honest satire of the current state of the American college education system (especially in regards to how horrible and destructive student loans are).

"That's what you get for convincing people to spent thousands of dollars just to learn things they could figure out for free! Leave them with an amount of debt and a useless piece of paper that reads "Diploma"! They're pedaling a dream that doesn't exist anymore!"

Teen Titians Go is dumb humor written in really smart ways.

ThunderCats Roar was cancelled too soon, it was weird and fun.

The recycling episode where it ends by zooming out past their recycled paradise to show the world hosed up by the waste of big companies.

Now that's some top quality cynicism.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Watched S5 of Aggretsuko and forget the messaging there was like 2 or 3 seasons worth of plotlines and I don't think any of them actually resolved or get so glossed over it's hard to count it. Like Retsuko and Haida decide to get married in a scene transition and it's never commented on at all what the hell lol.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neeksy posted:

Aggretsuko is written by someone who is vaguely aware that society exists, throws a few references to things they might have heard about on the news, and prettymuch calls it a day after shrugging their shoulders at the way things are.

Remember when the super-genius young upstart's amazing plan was... to cook the books a bit? And that's it. That was the extent of the plan. It failed because it was the most obvious scheme with no intrigue whatsoever.

It feels so much worse this season because they don't even shrug their shoulders, it's like they bring it up and just forget about it so Retsuko can deliver a monologue about Rage.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So did they make Haida not a weirdo, like he finally gets the girl he wants and then just acts like a weird dick.

He's pretty chill this season, but maybe because his brother and father are just so much worse. Like his new internet friends meets up with him irl because she clocks as not a weirdo, but then again he does drop the equivalent of $3000 on gacha rolls at the encouragement of said friend.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

Yeah anime backgrounds especially are nuts.

Like imagine painting this and it goes by in a few seconds

Though apparently being a background painter for anime pays better than being an animator. So if you like painting and want to work in animation it can be sorta worth it. I mean, everyone who works in anime is poor but if you're a BG painter at least you won't be dirt poor.

Background artist being a separate person has me wondering, do the backgrounds come before or after the animations?

I never really thought of it because for the most part everything is so cohesive now. Like I never see anything like books sticking out in a bookshelf because a character is gonna interact with it anymore.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pigbuster posted:

This Adult Swim short is pretty delightful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahf8KjDeZ3I

I like it very relatable and the artstyle reminds of OK KO.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mutantIke posted:

I know Dexter's Lab chat is over but I just want to say the Speed Racer episode deserves to be shown in college classes. Not sure what kind of college classes but something somewhere

The episodes clearly inspired by some anime were always my favorites or maybe I'm just a sucker for giant robots.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Hardwick the voice of Dale Gribble passed away :smith:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/08/10/king-of-the-hill-dale-johnny-hardwick-voice-actor-dead-dies/?adid=social-tw

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What would you all say had good endings? King of the Hill had a pretty good send off episode and of course Futurama had a good 3 endings.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Still need to finish up Amphibia and Owl House.

Also forgot about Gravity Falls, Stan tricking Bill will always be a top tier moment.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

The people who say "all movies are too irony-poisoned and quippy these days" are the people who only consume godawful franchise movies and nothing else so they literally have no idea what actual cinema is like in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ28knLt5Rs

Cody Johnston actually just did a really great breakdown on why people think like this too.

Just got done watching and this is a good video. Had no idea about modern CGI and the Producer side of movies.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TwoPair posted:

Uggghhhh I know it's bad but I watched that poo poo so much as a kid nostalgia is blinding me in a big way

"Now I've got your money!"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love how much you can tell O'Malley regrets how he handled Lucas Lee originally. He's got to be one of the top 5 characters now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I will continue to fawn over Scott Pilgrim Takes Off and Lucas Lee's hot bod. :colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mycot posted:

He was NOT nearly that big in the original it's so funny

Reminds me of what Jujutsu Kaisen has been doing with some of it's characters this past season

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Reminds me of the Great Gender Reveal Fire that happened a few years back.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s pretty darn good yeah but if you’re one of those “why do they keep making all these comedies that aren’t actually funny?????” people steer the gently caress clear. If not, check it out!

Wait is it a comedy? What I read made it sound more like a drama or maybe an introspective piece or something like that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id have to dig it up, but it was big in the Devient art mock threads, basicaly steven universe got big and every artist copied sugars art real hard because it was the in thing. except people add weird amounts of detail and poo poo and always make the eyes water to do sugars crying effect but it looks like melting eggs.

on the other point
its less 90s and more a nostalgia wave for 00s/early10s stuff now too. maybe its just because i hang on weird artist discords but i see alot of nostalgia for those times more then 90s. digital circus is more dark comedy based vaguely edutainment games and shows from those times. HB/hazbin is very much the edgy zim/grim adventures/hot topic thing but with more meaningful character and no gen z nihilism uber mean humor.

https://twitter.com/LOWCOSTCOSPLAY/status/1733785911417331986

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always found Top Cat downright incomprehensible.

You're not the only one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RCVYJLXPuo