Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/after-undercover-video-exposes-animal-abuse-at-fair-oaks-farms-grocery-store-removes-products/

quote:

A dairy farm in Indiana has come under immense scrutiny after an undercover video released by an animal rights group revealed newborn calves being abused by farm employees. Footage shows Fair Oaks Farms workers dragging calves by their ears, throwing them into small plastic enclosures and hitting them with milk bottles.

The abuse extends to kicking and beating calves, as well as force-feeding them until they can't breath. The video was filmed by a member of Animal Recovery Mission, who got a job at Fair Oaks Farms and went undercover as an employee from August to November of last year, CBS Chicago reports. The farm is located about 75 miles southeast of Chicago.

The Animal Recovery Mission recently released the video, which prompted local law enforcement to launch an investigation.

The calves appeared to stay in filthy, overcrowded and hot conditions. Temperature readings show it was more than 100 degrees inside their hutches. Dead calves were dumped in mass grave sites by employees, the video shows.

Animal Recovery Mission also alleges supervisors and owners at the farm were aware of the conditions and took part in the abuse.

In response to the video, local grocery store chain Jewel-Osco said it was removing all Fairlife products that come from Fair Oaks Farms from its stores.

"At Jewel-Osco we strive to maintain high animal welfare standards across all areas of our business and work in partnership with our vendors to ensure those standards are upheld. We apologize for any inconvenience," spokeswoman Mary Frances Trucco told CBS Chicago in an email.

Mike McCloskey owns both Fairlife dairy products and Fair Oaks Farms. He released a video statement following the backlash from the Animal Recovery Mission revelations.

"I am disgusted by and take full responsibility for the actions seen in the footage, as it goes against everything that we stand for in regards to responsible cow care and comfort," McCloskey said in a written statement on the company's website.

"The employees featured in the video exercised a complete and total disregard for the documented training that all employees go through to ensure the comfort, safety and well-being of our animals."

Fair Oaks Farms said five people in the video were identified and four of them are employees at the farm. The fifth person is a truck driver who works for a third party.

Coworkers caught three of the four employees abusing animals, reported them to management and they were fired before the Animal Recovery Mission video was even released. The fourth was fired Tuesday, according to Fair Oaks Farms.

The truck driver, who was responsible for picking up the calves, will not be allowed on Fair Oaks Farms again.

"A full investigation of all aspects of the video is underway, during and after which disciplinary action will be taken, including termination and criminal prosecution, of any and all employees and managers who have violated either our animal care practices or the law or both," the statement reads.

Fairlife said it has immediately suspend deliveries and will provide more animal welfare training for employees. The company also promised to increase animal welfare checks and will no longer get dairy from farms that violate its animal abuse policy.

It is unclear if Fairlife will still get dairy from Fair Oaks Farms, since both are owned by the same man.

tl;dr person spends 3 month at a dairy farm, quickly finds rampant animal abuse and surprise cameos by cocaine and marijuana

The big video itself at the center of all this,
:nms:URL because the thumbnail is a bummer::nms:

As always, you can find all the outrage you want on Twitter:

I guess my question is why the hell would anyone wanna attack cows anyway? Sure, they can be dumb as a loving brick but I just don't know how you get to this point. They stand around, eat, poo poo and moo. Maybe people are just jealous?

I guess this thread can also double as the "this happens a lot more than we'd like to admit/farms are loving awful" thread, if anyone has stories to share. The worst I've got is the high number of pasture parties I never went to back in my hometown. But hey, even then at least people were partying with cows and not....yknow, being awful to em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I used to go to my grandparent's farms a lot and they had a very horny and smelly goat called Ace who got massive erections if a little bit of soapy water got into his creepy goat eyes.

That's my farm story, though the circumstances there are probably better than the ones in the OP

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

i have cows. they're retarded. this is false.

thanks OP take my 5

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So, this is how livestock auctions get to be.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

This will do nothing to halt my desire for milk, cheese and NY Strip steaks

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
strongly suspect that people who get enjoyment from hurting animals when they can get away with it generally have the same mentality toward humans and should probably be thrown into the sun

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this is the undercover expose i want to see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANHjRWShHvE

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Imagine actively voting to perpetuate the abuse of animals.

https://apnews.com/baf3b2fa1dae4f518e8e79df32a4bec5

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not every good person is an animal lover but I’ve never met or even heard of someone who abused animals but was otherwise cool or fun to be around.

It’s just a clear indicator of being a lovely person.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If you can recognize that it is cruel to drag and hit them you should also be able to recognize that it is cruel to slaughter them. scooby doo running sound effect plays as brain immediately scrambles to rationalise that part away.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Moon Atari posted:

If you can recognize that it is cruel to drag and hit them you should also be able to recognize that it is cruel to slaughter them. scooby doo running sound effect plays as brain immediately scrambles to rationalise that part away.

I think you can want steak while also hoping whatever death the cow got was quick. I could very well be wrong on this one, but I'm not sure how many people sit down and ask for a steak, medium tortured.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
tortured steak is the new aged steak for the wealthy elite

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Not every good person is an animal lover but I’ve never met or even heard of someone who abused animals but was otherwise cool or fun to be around.

It’s just a clear indicator of being a lovely person.
It's a shame the inverse isn't true I'm an animal lover and I'm boring as poo poo.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
What is the point of killing the calves if they're your source of profit? Was it like just the bulls? Do they raise male cows for meat or do they quickly cull them like male chicks at poultry farms?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moon Atari posted:

its possible to kill an animal via utterly painless methods or through means that are so fast there is no opportunity for the animal to suffer
get personal politics out of here

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 8, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where does cow tipping fall in the spectrum?

And yeah this shouldn’t be a veganism thread imo. Abuse is bad was ops point.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

Where does cow tipping fall in the spectrum?

Cows sleep laying down.

Putty posted:

What is the point of killing the calves if they're your source of profit? Was it like just the bulls? Do they raise male cows for meat or do they quickly cull them like male chicks at poultry farms?

those weren't slaughtered calves, they were dying from abuse & neglect

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This is the natural outcome of eating meat at such industrial volumes. Repent carnivores.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Peanut President posted:

Cows sleep laying down.

rip

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm not trying to promote veganism or anything, but it seems like whenever livestock gets treated like a faceless product and nothing else, horrific abuse ensues.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The worst part is that this place marketed itself as a tourist attraction specifically because it was supposedly a humane dairy. My parents had been there several times. They are not happy about this.

The thing that made me angriest was the fact that they just lied about using the calves for veal.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

its possible to kill an animal via utterly painless methods or through means that are so fast there is no opportunity for the animal to suffer

Is killing something that would rather live not cruel in and of itself, even if not especially painful?

Do you think capitalist industry would bother to reliably achieve such carefully executed murder? Even in terms of how the human workers are treated it seems like one of the least ethical or regulated industries.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
When I grow up I’m going to bovine university!

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A lot of this probably stems from these places hiring the dregs of society, because I highly doubt they care if you have a non drug related felony.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

DangerDongs posted:

A lot of this probably stems from these places hiring the dregs of society, because I highly doubt they care if you have a non drug related felony.

In the video there's literally footage of dudes snorting coke and smoking weed out of a soda can pipe, as well as marijuana plants growing right there on the property, so I don't think they care about drugs much either.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

EorayMel posted:

I used to go to my grandparent's farms a lot and they had a very horny and smelly goat called Ace who got massive erections if a little bit of soapy water got into his creepy goat eyes.

That's my farm story, though the circumstances there are probably better than the ones in the OP

He sounds like he lived a good life and if it was a just world these calves would live happy lives getting massive erections from errant soap as they frolicked in the fields.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kuato posted:

When I grow up I’m going to bovine university!

Iowa state has this.

Moon Atari posted:

Is killing something that would rather live not cruel in and of itself, even if not especially painful?

Do you think capitalist industry would bother to reliably achieve such carefully executed murder? Even in terms of how the human workers are treated it seems like one of the least ethical or regulated industries.

No. And no that’s why regulations are required.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DangerDongs posted:

Plenty of felons who show plenty of respect and love for animals, the problem is that animal abuse is so common, hard to prosecute, and even difficult to expose, that just "normal," regularly everyday people with no criminal history can abuse the poo poo out of animals with little to no recourse from the law.

And they know that, so in cases like this farm they can indulge in their imp of the perverse and just be as sadistic as they please.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The fact that the head of this company is a veteranarian isn't lost on me.

Gonna be interesting to see if anything happens to that side of his business, too.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

numbertwoposter posted:

i have cows. they're retarded. this is false.

thanks OP take my 5

being stupid as poo poo just re-enforces the point they're big dogs

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moon Atari posted:

having children is abuse. end life

yes. male chicks are killed by hundreds a day falling asleep in a co2 chamber. the captive bolt pistol that can kill something virtually instantly has been the blockbuster movie accessory of choice for the past decade. everyone but you knows about these things probably

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 8, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk if the method of killing matters so much, the real cruelty is in penning animals in a tiny room for their entire life.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
"I am disgusted by and take full responsibility for the actions seen in the footage" says owner, before firing four people and not being fired or punished in any way himself.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Shinjobi posted:

pasture parties

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Colonel Cancer posted:

Idk if the method of killing matters so much, the real cruelty is in penning animals in a tiny room for their entire life.

But enough about weed dealers

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean, at least they were fired, mostly before this went public? It seems quite well handled for once, even if the precognitive crime squad were asleep at the wheel as usual

E: Oh welp, on the general conditions perhaps not

Amicus curiae
May 31, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yes. male chicks are killed by hundreds a day falling asleep in a co2 chamber

is it human-sized

asking for myself because i don't have any friends

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah they just stuff an old Toyota full of chickens and leave it in a garage

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DangerDongs posted:

COW DRUGS :texas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

having children is abuse. end life

Actively killing something and reproducing despite the inevitability of death are incredibly, overwhelmingly and obviously different. If your morality genuinely couldn't distinguish between giving birth and murdering a child you would be completely dysfunctional.

yes. male chicks are killed by hundreds a day falling asleep in a co2 chamber. the captive bolt pistol that can kill something virtually instantly has been the blockbuster movie accessory of choice for the past decade. everyone but you knows about these things probably

Literally every bit of footage that has ever emerged from slaughter houses looks bad, and it is an industry that goes to great lengths to try to avoid leaks and has lax regulations in most places. In most western countries more than half of all meat sold is halal or kosher slaughtered, meaning the captive bolt doesnt kill but provides a "reversable, temporary stun", to make the animal less mobile during the actual killing method (bleeding out from slit carotid artery). There is pretty extensive evidence that this stunning is far from carefully administered and maintained anesthesia, and it being far from unconsciousness. Even if it is a killing blow, the process of getting to the bolt isn't without cruelty, with most spending a lot of time caged and in transit before making it to slaughter.

It is absolute fantasy to think slaughter houses aren't constantly punctuated by animal squeals of pain. Labourers who work in them don't even try to deny that. I've had family who have worked in them, in a country that tends to have better regulation than most, and who are very pro-meat eating, but they don't lie to themselves or others about the nature of the business. I'm not even advocating veganism, just moral honesty. It's weak ethical character to lie to yourself or accept cheap comforting fantasy like you're a kid believing your parents when they tell you your dog went to live on a nice farm somewhere.