Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Moon Atari posted:

Actively killing something and reproducing despite the inevitability of death are incredibly, overwhelmingly and obviously different. If your morality genuinely couldn't distinguish between giving birth and murdering a child you would be completely dysfunctional.

Literally every bit of footage that has ever emerged from slaughter houses looks bad, and it is an industry that goes to great lengths to try to avoid leaks and has lax regulations in most places. In most western countries more than half of all meat sold is halal or kosher slaughtered, meaning the captive bolt doesnt kill but provides a "reversable, temporary stun", to make the animal less mobile during the actual killing method (bleeding out from slit carotid artery). There is pretty extensive evidence that this stunning is far from carefully administered and maintained anesthesia, and it being far from unconsciousness. Even if it is a killing blow, the process of getting to the bolt isn't without cruelty, with most spending a lot of time caged and in transit before making it to slaughter.

It is absolute fantasy to think slaughter houses aren't constantly punctuated by animal squeals of pain. Labourers who work in them don't even try to deny that. I've had family who have worked in them, in a country that tends to have better regulation than most, and who are very pro-meat eating, but they don't lie to themselves or others about the nature of the business. I'm not even advocating veganism, just moral honesty. It's weak ethical character to lie to yourself or accept cheap comforting fantasy like you're a kid believing your parents when they tell you your dog went to live on a nice farm somewhere.

shut up jesus christ

How about instead of all that poo poo we laugh at the fact that this company sold a brand of milk called "Fairlife" while abusing the poo poo out of these animals. The whole industry of "organic", "wholesome", "fair" agriculture seems especially insidious. Like, at least with a company like Tyson meats you know what their game is and they make no illusions about it, while companies like this are doing this incredibly holier-than-thou thing while all the time beating the gently caress out of their cows, or poisoning Chipotle customers with bad lettuce because their "organic" farming methods do things like dump raw sewage on food for human consumption because they're stuck in the loving dark ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Moon Atari posted:

Actively killing something and reproducing despite the inevitability of death are incredibly, overwhelmingly and obviously different. If your morality genuinely couldn't distinguish between giving birth and murdering a child you would be completely dysfunctional.

Literally every bit of footage that has ever emerged from slaughter houses looks bad, and it is an industry that goes to great lengths to try to avoid leaks and has lax regulations in most places. In most western countries more than half of all meat sold is halal or kosher slaughtered, meaning the captive bolt doesnt kill but provides a "reversable, temporary stun", to make the animal less mobile during the actual killing method (bleeding out from slit carotid artery). There is pretty extensive evidence that this stunning is far from carefully administered and maintained anesthesia, and it being far from unconsciousness. Even if it is a killing blow, the process of getting to the bolt isn't without cruelty, with most spending a lot of time caged and in transit before making it to slaughter.

It is absolute fantasy to think slaughter houses aren't constantly punctuated by animal squeals of pain. Labourers who work in them don't even try to deny that. I've had family who have worked in them, in a country that tends to have better regulation than most, and who are very pro-meat eating, but they don't lie to themselves or others about the nature of the business. I'm not even advocating veganism, just moral honesty. It's weak ethical character to lie to yourself or accept cheap comforting fantasy like you're a kid believing your parents when they tell you your dog went to live on a nice farm somewhere.

for someone who posts so many words about "moral honesty" you seem to lack it

as far as i can figure, someone who is "morally honest" would be able to discern differences that there are many reasons for actions and be honest about the implications and results of those reasons

but instead of pissing back and forth about that, maybe we should be just regular honest and get you to define this bullshit term because the first result for it on google, far from a definition that anyone can reason about or even quibble with, is a psuedo-intellectual blog post with one of the most Silly White Girl urls i have seen in my loving life (https://motivation.media/moral-honesty)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moon Atari posted:

im talking to the guy who both conflates all killing with torture and who apparently doesnt understand how to use context well enough to relate what i said to what i was responding to and instead takes it in isolation

Moon Atari posted:

Literally every bit of footage that has ever emerged from slaughter houses looks bad
good footage doesnt leak just like cars not crashing doesnt make the news

Moon Atari posted:

I'm not even advocating veganism, just moral honesty. It's weak ethical character to lie to yourself or accept cheap comforting fantasy like you're a kid believing your parents when they tell you your dog went to live on a nice farm somewhere.
you could advocate moral honesty and call people out about almost anything in any thread instead of jumping on this thread with your veganism stuff. in denying that you just now surrendered moral honesty and ethical character

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I want a steak right now.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I also want people treating cows (and animals in general) like poo poo to go to jail.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’m having a pineapple and ham pizza tonight from Casey’s.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Burt Sexual posted:

I’m having a pineapple and ham pizza tonight from Casey’s.

My ni...
Neighbor.

Good choice. Next time consider throwing some green bell pepper in the mix!

Woden
May 6, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

its possible to kill an animal via utterly painless methods or through means that are so fast there is no opportunity for the animal to suffer
get personal politics out of here

Why don't they use those methods for people on death row if they're that good?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Woden posted:

Why don't they use those methods for people on death row if they're that good?

Because state-ordered human execution is about revenge and nothing more?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Because people want public executions, but a public execution where they pop a bolt in the guy's forehead then string him up and drain him would be a little too much

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s been scientifically proven over and over again that all of our execution methods are designed to appeal to the viewer, not to insure comfort for the inmate, and they are pretty much always paralyzed and in incredible pain.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s been scientifically proven over and over again that all of our execution methods are designed to appeal to the viewer, not to insure comfort for the inmate, and they are pretty much always paralyzed and in incredible pain.

Nitrogen gas is probably the least painful, but no one uses it cause they actually want people to suffer.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Death Row inmates always get a cushy last meal. John Wayne Gacy got fried chicken and strawberries, but personally I would demand a Jumbo Shrimpers Net Catch, from the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company (and oh yeah, don't forget about 15 Dr. Peppers to wash it down :) )

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Put all cows in the electric chair

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

sweet geek swag posted:

Nitrogen gas is probably the least painful, but no one uses it cause they actually want people to suffer.
It's pretty cheap and easy too, why don't they use that for slaughterhouses?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Takes too long

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
im gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
the animal abuse is hosed up but i had to stop the video when i saw that they were smoking marijuana. uh trigger warning much?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i love eating bovine flesh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jose Mengelez posted:

the animal abuse is hosed up but i had to stop the video when i saw that they were smoking marijuana. uh trigger warning much?

If people need weed or coke in order to not abuse animals, then by god I say let them do all the drugs.

But in this case they did not seem to help the situation.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What’s weirder to me is that groups of people engage in the abuse together like it’s super normal.

Like if I caught a lady smacking her kid in the head at the grocery store I’d probably bite my tongue but if someone touches an animal in front of me I become Captain Mother loving Planet.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

gently caress being paralysed and suffocated or whatever america has their unlicensed executioners inject you with after eyeballing the dose, if you guys wanna execute people either use a firing squad or the classic reliable guillotine

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or just don’t loving murder people because that’s a hosed up, expensive, and authoritarian thing to do.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

And it's not even a good deterrent. Literally flushing millions of dollars down the toilet to make a handful of people feel slightly better.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Or just don’t loving murder people because that’s a hosed up, expensive, and authoritarian thing to do.

i mean i am australian and that's obvious to me but if you're gonna do it at least do it in a less torturous way

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Hell half of it is about leaving a dignified corpse. Sure third world execution by being dragged out and shot is awful but I'd much prefer having my head instantly exploded over being fed an agonising drug cocktail.

Or we could, you know, not kill anyone :shobon:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Harming animals for one's own pleasure? I can't believe it!

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I never understood why animal abuse is so horrible at seemingly every factory farm. Not systemic abuse as a by product of like, the slaughterhouse process, but just person on animal cruelty. Is it reflective of the local culture in the areas these operations tend to be in? Or, my guess, is it because the work is lovely, stressful, difficult and underpaid, so workers end up taking out their petty frustrations on the animals?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I imagine a lot of workers come to resent the animals for various reasons, almost like how people stuck in retail hell often end up hating the customers they have to deal with all the time. This is no excuse for animal abuse though. That's hosed up as hell. If you're killing a creature to eat it the process should be as stress-free and painless as you can possibly make something so violent as slaughter.

Same as how you shouldn't take a shot at an animal when hunting unless you're 100% sure it will kill quickly.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Replace all cow farms and slaughterhouses with cricket farms (and slaughterhouses) and then it's ok for sick fucks to abuse them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I imagine a lot of workers come to resent the animals for various reasons, almost like how people stuck in retail hell often end up hating the customers they have to deal with all the time. This is no excuse for animal abuse though. That's hosed up as hell. If you're killing a creature to eat it the process should be as stress-free and painless as you can possibly make something so violent as slaughter.

Same as how you shouldn't take a shot at an animal when hunting unless you're 100% sure it will kill quickly.

Also the more an animal suffers the more likely their meat you may or may not eat after torturing it is gonna be pumped full of adrenaline as it panics and realizes it is about to die, which usually makes the meat taste worst.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

Hell half of it is about leaving a dignified corpse. Sure third world execution by being dragged out and shot is awful but I'd much prefer having my head instantly exploded over being fed an agonising drug cocktail.

Or we could, you know, not kill anyone :shobon:

Saudi Arabia is a fairly hosed place but at least they don't shy away from what they're doing. They have an official executioner who will lop your head off with a sword :stare:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

EorayMel posted:

Also the more an animal suffers the more likely their meat you may or may not eat after torturing it is gonna be pumped full of adrenaline as it panics and realizes it is about to die, which usually makes the meat taste worst.

I do agree but to me this is secondary. I hunt and I have no problem killing animals and enjoying their delicious flesh. But I can't stand the idea of killing an animal slowly just on an emotional level. I've let tons of animals pass by because I couldn't guarantee a humane killing shot. The idea of gutshotting an animal and them getting away to painfully die after several days is loving horrifying to me. Every animal I've killed was from a shot right through the boilerworks that bled them out fast as hell. I'm not a moron and I'm not going to call it painless, but it's still better than confining an animal and beating the piss outta it and so on and so forth. Just godamn kill the thing as fast as possible. :(

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Put all cows in the electric chair
whoa whoa slow down edison

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

gary oldmans diary posted:

whoa whoa slow down edison

That was an elephant that edison killed. I guess it was like a big cow.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Colonel Cancer posted:

Replace all cow farms and slaughterhouses with cricket farms (and slaughterhouses) and then it's ok for sick fucks to abuse them.

mods please ban this animal abuser tia

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Moon Atari posted:

Do you think capitalist industry would bother to reliably achieve such carefully executed murder? Even in terms of how the human workers are treated it seems like one of the least ethical or regulated industries.

Lol, do you think a government run factory would give a poo poo either?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
You shouldn't be mean to animals ):

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Imagine actively voting to perpetuate the abuse of animals.

https://apnews.com/baf3b2fa1dae4f518e8e79df32a4bec5

the other side of this is: imagine actively voting to increase the cost of food in america

almost all animal welfare/food crusaders in america skim over the fact that poor people can already barely afford to eat, restaurants can barely afford to operate, and all their reforms would make food more expensive. not that that matters to bougie facebook moms

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Heer98 posted:

I never understood why animal abuse is so horrible at seemingly every factory farm. Not systemic abuse as a by product of like, the slaughterhouse process, but just person on animal cruelty. Is it reflective of the local culture in the areas these operations tend to be in? Or, my guess, is it because the work is lovely, stressful, difficult and underpaid, so workers end up taking out their petty frustrations on the animals?

Capitalism doesn't even bother treating the humans on the bottom humanely it's no real surprise the frustrated and raw workers begin to hate everything about the animals they're barely paid to handle. Doesn't justify or even excuse it but stuff like this needs a topdown solution that invests in a good environment for the workers as well as the animals and I think we'll find things just naturally improve. But that would likely result in less yachts and vacation homes so maybe the best we can do is pass more regulations that make food more expensive and blame the workers for "failing to follow company policy" whenever a leak like this happens.