Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Imagine actively voting to perpetuate the abuse of animals.

https://apnews.com/baf3b2fa1dae4f518e8e79df32a4bec5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where does cow tipping fall in the spectrum?

And yeah this shouldn’t be a veganism thread imo. Abuse is bad was ops point.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kuato posted:

When I grow up I’m going to bovine university!

Iowa state has this.

Moon Atari posted:

Is killing something that would rather live not cruel in and of itself, even if not especially painful?

Do you think capitalist industry would bother to reliably achieve such carefully executed murder? Even in terms of how the human workers are treated it seems like one of the least ethical or regulated industries.

No. And no that’s why regulations are required.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’m having a pineapple and ham pizza tonight from Casey’s.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Feel free to return to the topic.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Bones posted:

What if they still beat up the baby animals, but it was only for, say, an hour a day? Like you could just go ham and wail on 'em as much as you wanted, but for the rest of the day you have to be super duper nice to them and give them cuddles and snacks?

Not a perfect solution, but it's something!

Only if you take the beatings for the other 23 hours.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Beef: it’s all about misogyny in consumption

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

M Condriano posted:

Toxic masculinity is different from misogyny, they just have a lot of overlap. People who get mad about vegetarians also usually think soy beans give you boobs and make your balls fall off, which is actually kinda hilarious since it's so huge in China, the most populated country in the world (clearly they weren't having fertility issues when their population passed a billion and had to be fought with legislation and policy instead. You'd think the government would just lower the price of tofu if it was any good for making you less fertile).

How many bugs, on average, do you eat a day?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

M Condriano posted:

None, they don't sell insect products in the west. Though If I was the emperor of the Earth you'd all be eating insect protein instead of mammal protein and cows would be extinct.

All smug, no bug.

Fe should’ve saved that for the inevitable probe

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dude gettin beefy itt

E ah gently caress, it wasn’t a HH reference

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Mods please change this thread name to "The Bug Thread."

TIA

Done

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

M Condriano posted:

They do talk about it in one of them, but those are things that can be addressed through infrastructure and regulation (though I'm aware that both of those things are rapidly disappearing in America) and has been done pretty successfully in the few nations that farm insects for food.

Unsurprisingly this too is dishonest, different types of insects have different nutritional potential, including fats. The only nutrient lacking in insects is calcium, which is found in non-meat products quite easily. Also supplements exist for situations out of the ordinary and are very cheap and accessible for pretty much everyone.

I love you so much.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Please remember this is gbs and not dnd. Be funny AND informative/entertaining. We all love each other.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

pseudanonymous posted:

You're just totally completely wrong. What do you think the efficiency of a cow is, in turning calories into calories? Could we instantly stop eating beef tomorrow? No, it would take a bit of time to convert. But the idea that meat is in any way an efficient way of getting calories is just...

Oh, maybe you're just trolling. Please tell me you're trolling and I fell for it.

DnD style poster, I demand you post a funny cow and insect picture itt. 60 minutes. No words.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

roomforthetuna posted:

No.

If you could explain how what I wrote made you think I was suggesting that I would really appreciate it.

Edit: and I suppose in the meantime I'll explain how I was not suggesting that. My negation of "our ancestors ate lots and lots of meat and that's how we got brains" was not "our ancestors were vegetarians", it was "our ancestors probably ate less meat than 'lots and lots', and/or there is no real reason to believe that brains were in any way a consequence of what meat they did eat, and there are valid reasons to not believe it." More importantly, I was suggesting that "a scientific fact" is a very different thing from "a thing some researcher claimed one time." Most importantly of all, I was suggesting that the person stating that the meat=brains nonsense was "a scientific fact" is a jerk for doing that. I hope this is a clearer explanation that won't be mistaken for a completely different claim that centers around a word I didn't even use.

Lol you went back and edited this. And you post super vegan. Do you eat HH?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

roomforthetuna posted:

Yes lol I appended some text what a hilarious weirdo.

What is HH?

Hamburger helper. It’s kinda a thread. Come post!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

poverty goat posted:

the main difference between a bug and a cow is that a bug has real purpose in the world independent of humans, which must be preserved, while the cow is a food item engineered by humans that has no place in the natural world outside of a pasture

What do gnats do? I mean besides serve as food? It’d take a lot to satisfy me admittedly.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

mushroom_spore posted:

Yeah parasites are no joke when you're eating an entire god drat animal. On a related note all those kids who've eaten raw earthworms on a dare probably have parasitic worms in all of their organs now.

I'd totally eat most bugs (except for the ones that give me the "no that one is a FRIEND" reaction, like bees and pillbugs and also tarantulas cause I've had them as pets) but not like these people that just have bland as hell cricket powder shakes or dump unseasoned dried bugs on their salad or whatever. If you're gonna eat a bug, there are countries where they've been doing that for probably thousands or millions of years and they know how to make those things delicious by now. Throw some sauce and spices on there, do something. (I mean sure a lot of them also do just eat the things plain or raw in addition to getting fancy with it, but you don't have to.)

https://forestsnews.cifor.org/32088/grubs-in-tubs-cameroons-larvae-love-just-got-so-much-better?fnl=en Look at these little bastards, they apparently taste like crayfish.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_85253847_fried-grasshopper-is-one-of-food-street-in-thailand.html?fromid=R2VlQlF6enUvejg2Skk3TzgyNEwzUT09 Fried grasshopper even LOOKS like crayfish. Land crayfish.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_85385539_fried-grub-is-one-of-food-street-in-thailand.html Fried grubs are nature's chicken nuggets.

People definitely also eat all of those things too, except maybe wetas since I think a bunch of them are endangered. But I would imagine things like crickets and ants are infinitely easier to raise in large numbers in captivity, while large tarantulas have to be kept separately, must be fed with other bugs you also have to farm, and they also grow more slowly than some bastard cricket that eats anything and hits maximum size in three months or less.

Like it doesn't differ all that much when people are just traditionally harvesting adults from the wild anyway, but you couldn't really farm some bugs as well as others.

How many bugs you ate, goon?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The White Dragon posted:

imo mod challenge to everyone saying we should all eat bugs, eat the bugs

How would that work? Bc I’d love to see goons eating bugs 🐜 no dox

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Please pm Burt warranted entries into into this challenge. Link requested of post(s). Mushroom-spore is up first.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone one getting a “Eat the Bugs” post from me, or any other mod/admin, has 48 hours to acquire and eat (swallow) the bugs of their choosing. It must have your username clearly visible, with said bugs as well. The evaluation will be predicated on the quality of bug eating and narrative associated. The punishment will be consummate to... whatever we feel like.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

mushroom_spore posted:

Yeah parasites are no joke when you're eating an entire god drat animal. On a related note all those kids who've eaten raw earthworms on a dare probably have parasitic worms in all of their organs now.

I'd totally eat most bugs (except for the ones that give me the "no that one is a FRIEND" reaction, like bees and pillbugs and also tarantulas cause I've had them as pets) but not like these people that just have bland as hell cricket powder shakes or dump unseasoned dried bugs on their salad or whatever. If you're gonna eat a bug, there are countries where they've been doing that for probably thousands or millions of years and they know how to make those things delicious by now. Throw some sauce and spices on there, do something. (I mean sure a lot of them also do just eat the things plain or raw in addition to getting fancy with it, but you don't have to.)

https://forestsnews.cifor.org/32088/grubs-in-tubs-cameroons-larvae-love-just-got-so-much-better?fnl=en Look at these little bastards, they apparently taste like crayfish.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_85253847_fried-grasshopper-is-one-of-food-street-in-thailand.html?fromid=R2VlQlF6enUvejg2Skk3TzgyNEwzUT09 Fried grasshopper even LOOKS like crayfish. Land crayfish.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_85385539_fried-grub-is-one-of-food-street-in-thailand.html Fried grubs are nature's chicken nuggets.

People definitely also eat all of those things too, except maybe wetas since I think a bunch of them are endangered. But I would imagine things like crickets and ants are infinitely easier to raise in large numbers in captivity, while large tarantulas have to be kept separately, must be fed with other bugs you also have to farm, and they also grow more slowly than some bastard cricket that eats anything and hits maximum size in three months or less.

Like it doesn't differ all that much when people are just traditionally harvesting adults from the wild anyway, but you couldn't really farm some bugs as well as others.

mushroom_spore Eat the bugs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

M Condriano posted:

It's a pretty bizarre thing to argue that we evolved to do something so we should keep doing it forever, completely ignoring the entirety of all science outside of evolutionary history that all indicates that humans are perfectly capable of living quite healthily and successfully without eating meat.

It's also strange to try to argue that any kind of food would be worse for the environment than beef production.

It's also strange to ignore the fact that insects are healthier and less environmentally damaging of a food source than all the meat we eat now, and that the only reason we don't eat them now is because white people from a continent that didn't have good insects to eat took over the world and brought their cultural norms with them. Not to mention the lack of ethical concerns in farming insects, which all available science indicates do not experience pain or suffering in any way (nociception is not the same thing as pain).

...I guess it's not that strange if you understand that everyone who argues so much about how they have to eat meat constantly is just doing it because they have their masculinity all wrapped up in their meat consumption and aren't thinking about anything else in reality.

M Condriano Eat the bugs

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

RossMan4Life posted:

This thread sucks, but it got me thinking about eating bugs. I definitely don't want to eat crunchy exoskeletons and eating a creature's entire body is kind of gross. Instead of trying BS 3d meat printing, it'd be sweet to have a bio engineered big land lobster that we pen up like veal. If I can get a portion sized muscle out of a big worm or whatever, that sounds appealing. I imagine I'll be long dead before something like that could happen though. I'm guessing cricket flour is like the only way they'll ever be remotely palatable to most people. Sorry my post sucks, I'm just thinking about giant land bug meat while hungry.

What's the deal with those giant banana slugs? Let's eat them.

RossMan4Life Eat the bugs

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

roomforthetuna posted:

No.

If you could explain how what I wrote made you think I was suggesting that I would really appreciate it.

Edit: and I suppose in the meantime I'll explain how I was not suggesting that. My negation of "our ancestors ate lots and lots of meat and that's how we got brains" was not "our ancestors were vegetarians", it was "our ancestors probably ate less meat than 'lots and lots', and/or there is no real reason to believe that brains were in any way a consequence of what meat they did eat, and there are valid reasons to not believe it." More importantly, I was suggesting that "a scientific fact" is a very different thing from "a thing some researcher claimed one time." Most importantly of all, I was suggesting that the person stating that the meat=brains nonsense was "a scientific fact" is a jerk for doing that. I hope this is a clearer explanation that won't be mistaken for a completely different claim that centers around a word I didn't even use.

roomforthetuna Eat the bugs

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dazerbeams posted:

Are goons gonna do that for us next?

How much you value you’re username?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dazerbeams posted:

I’ll stop posting, no need to threaten me. :(

Nah my bad, post on good goon

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
All those challenged have 48 hours to meet the challenge. Anything after that is open to discussion.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
The best bugs are sold by cosmeticbeautyplace. A+++

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

M Condriano posted:

There's no way I could get anything sent to me in 48 hours, and it would take more than $10 (to buy a new account) to put my face on the internet anyways, so you can disqualify me now if you like.

Sorry about your boasting.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Honky Dong Country posted:

I honestly I only ordered actual food bugs because I don't feel like chasing one down out in the yard.

...Also they're flavored.

Within the parameters, bug proponents that don’t follow through will not be able to login without a donation.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any bug proponents that post after their six wears out and before the ban goes through, gets a 30 stacked.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where all the bug eaters today? Eery silence.... lol

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 15, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VikingSkull posted:

making people eat bugs is classic 7th grade bully strategy

Everyone challenged purported that bugs were the path forward to econirvana. What are your opinions on bugs?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Really need closure in this thread. I'll donate $20 to a cat shelter if a goon steps up and eats some bugs, and posts a video.

No doxxing so wear a mask.

Tension.

Is.

Building.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Really need closure in this thread. I'll donate $20 to a cat shelter if a goon steps up and eats some bugs, and posts a video.

No doxxing so wear a mask.

Well honky is committed, I’ll donate $50 to the aspca for the next bug eater.

E challenged goons included

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Honky Dong Country posted:

Only thing visible is gonna be my stupid mouth and username and balls.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

its all nice on rice posted:

Does your friend know about lactase pills? I'm intolerant too, and they work just fine for me. Or is she one of the super intolerant who has to run to the bathroom at the sight of cheese? That's unfortunate if so.

They started selling crickets at Safeco Field for Mariners games last year. Apparently they sold out almost every game.
It's T-mobile Park now, though, and I've no idea if they still sell them.

Lol no way

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DrHammond posted:

Cost Plus World Market had dried and flavored crickets last time I was in there. It's late now, but if no-one beats me to the punch I'll try and earn those catbux tomorrow.

Pick ur probe. It’s like 5central I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

DrHammond posted:

Gawsh I hope they still have those crickets :ohdear:

DrHammond Eat the bugs