Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/peter-bright-charged-soliciting-sex-minors/

quote:

Tech reporter Peter Bright has been arrested for soliciting sex with children online. He was employed by Ars Technica until recently.

A federal complaint alleges that Bright sought to molest a 7- and 9-year-old and met with an undercover agent for this purpose, at which point he was arrested. It also states that Bright claimed to be in a sexual relationship with an 11-year-old. He is currently being held without bail.

hm how could anyone have ever suspected?

supposedly there's more rambling about age of consent on the ars forums

e: lol

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one of those that is really hard to treat in a funny computer forum. hosed up.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
correlation between someone earnestly discussing 'age of consent' and being a pedophile is like 100% lol

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
:ohno:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pram posted:

correlation between someone earnestly discussing 'age of consent' and being a pedophile is like 100% lol

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

lol i met him at an ars LAN party in ahwatukee az in 2002. he was a small, pimply, and timid man, and in no way the abrasive rear end in a top hat he was on the otherwise “civilized” ars technica forums.

god forums culture was so weird/unique back then. obviously sa was sa, ars tried so goddam hard to be erudite, and |H| was like monster energy drink and nerd stink taken bbcode form. kinda miss how the web was way different before everything got bought by Condé Nast and started being mined for ad revenue. sa did the right thing w/ the pay wall.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

pram posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have no idea who this is

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I met PeterB at an ars meet and discussed Windows Vista with him and I think some of the points made it into an article. Triply shameful there.

Turnquiet posted:

ars tried so goddam hard to be erudite

members thought just because you registered on a particular Internet forum you were so goddamn smart

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

i have no idea who this is

prominent ponderer and pontificator pertaining to pedophilia, pizza phd.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

saw this mentioned in a couple other threads already but not the tweets jfc :stare:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

cool.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
First gaming journalism and now this!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

wow thats insanely hosed up

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
years ago he jizzed in his cereal and ate it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
never get high or your own guy supply

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Never heard of this guy or "tech journalism" before, but I have heard of kid diddling and I'm 100% opposed to it.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yikes but the yikes gets worse every time this guy appears

i was going to make a p4 pan poly pervy pedophile joke but nothing seemed funny or good because this guy is a monster

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
he posted ephebophile apologia on ars for 10 years before they hired him

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

pram posted:

nah, some people argue age of consent changes from the point of view of changing laws so that teenagers having sex with each other can have access to birth control and other sexual health services

blanket accusing anyone who talks about it of being a paedo is not a good thing for helping reduce unwanted pregnancy and std infection amongst teenagers

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

graph posted:

years ago he jizzed in his cereal and ate it

weetabix, specifically. He made a (long since deleted?) ars forum post about it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

first I’ve heard of this dude, but he seems like a real piece of poo poo op

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i read a long form article of his once that basically amounted to "apple is great now but im sticking with windows." thanks for reading

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Thankfully these guys leave a trail of confessions and evidence online

There was that other guy that tweeted something like, "heh the feds didn't know about my external backups :smug:" and they turned the car around and went right back lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SpaceAceJase posted:

Thankfully these guys leave a trail of confessions and evidence online

There was that other guy that tweeted something like, "heh the feds didn't know about my external backups :smug:" and they turned the car around and went right back lmao

lol I want to see that one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Salt Fish posted:

Never heard of this guy or "tech journalism" before, but I have heard of kid diddling and I'm 100% opposed to it.

:yossame:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1137094769757294592

and this guy totally knew all along

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
we spend a lot of money on f-35s but i bet if we spent that on searching twitter for people making self-referential pedo jokes and having strong opinions on the age of consent then running stings it'd cost less than f-35s and would get more kiddy diddlers off the streets

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

all the people coming out of the woodwork to distance themselves from know repeated pedophile pizza man when all they had to do is say nothing and people would forget they knew him

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

we spend a lot of money on f-35s but i bet if we spent that on searching twitter for people making self-referential pedo jokes and having strong opinions on the age of consent then running stings it'd cost less than f-35s and would get more kiddy diddlers off the streets

anything costs less than an f35 and some of them even fly

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Father Jack posted:

nah, some people argue age of consent changes from the point of view of changing laws so that teenagers having sex with each other can have access to birth control and other sexual health services

blanket accusing anyone who talks about it of being a paedo is not a good thing for helping reduce unwanted pregnancy and std infection amongst teenagers

mmmhmm *writes down father jack in list*

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

pram posted:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pram posted:

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

pram posted:

like a priest wasn't on the list already.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Father Jack posted:

like a priest wasn't on the list already.

drink! feck! arse! girls!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Paul Turok is not having a good day

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

non technical piece of human garbage

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
lol at joe belfiore in the list of people he respects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

Paul Turok is not having a good day

lmao