Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

this was fascinating tbf

what I'm still not entirely clear on was that Carlin made the Anabaptists sound like cult members, such that the revolt was like some kind of medieval Waco / Ruby Ridge, when I get the impression that they were somewhat more similar to The Diggers of ye olde England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look I just like thinking about violent amish

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

i say swears online posted:

look I just like thinking about violent amish
compulsory rebaptism rules. "you didn't have the faculties to truly understand and consent to your baptism, so it's invalid. now accept this new one or we will beat the poo poo out of you and throw you in the river"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

what I'm still not entirely clear on was that Carlin made the Anabaptists sound like cult members, such that the revolt was like some kind of medieval Waco / Ruby Ridge, when I get the impression that they were somewhat more similar to The Diggers of ye olde England

I listen to In Our Time, the BBC pop-history/culture/science podcast, and half the time with the history episodes it's to get angry with the guests they have on. Their episode on the Siege of Munster took a similar view of the Anabaptists from what I recall. They throw in a bit of anti-communist, anti-Jacobin propaganda too. It's wild how much they are against the French Revolution on that show.

Here's the description

quote:

Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the Siege of Munster in 1534-35, when radical Anabaptists tried to create the 'New Jerusalem' in a small German town, with horrific consequences.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b00nkqrv

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

I listen to In Our Time, the BBC pop-history/culture/science podcast, and half the time with the history episodes it's to get angry with the guests they have on. Their episode on the Siege of Munster took a similar view of the Anabaptists from what I recall. They throw in a bit of anti-communist, anti-Jacobin propaganda too. It's wild how much they are against the French Revolution on that show.

Here's the description

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b00nkqrv
I saw that they did a Hannah Arendt episode recently and I had to stop myself from listening to it

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
lol Jacobin deleted the "genocide is bad, but" tweet

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tirade posted:

lol Jacobin deleted the "genocide is bad, but" tweet

but not the one from 5 years ago when the article was first published

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/618053903284858882

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the bosnian conflict and rwanda are about the central pieces of mythology that legitimised the modern doctrine of humanitarian intervention and responsibility to protect as a just cause for war, so it's absolutely worth discussing them in that light imo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

the bosnian conflict and rwanda are about the central pieces of mythology that legitimised the modern doctrine of humanitarian intervention and responsibility to protect as a just cause for war, so it's absolutely worth discussing them in that light imo

i'd pin that more on the first iraq war and even the shift in warhawk rhetoric in the us toward narcoterrorism in the 80s to justify our loving around in latin america

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the kuwati ambassador daughter scam is legitimately one of the greatest scams of all of history

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
was it sniper 2 or sniper 3 that took place in serbia in the late 90s and the plot revolved around the snipers rescuing a dissident journalist

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i'd pin that more on the first iraq war and even the shift in warhawk rhetoric in the us toward narcoterrorism in the 80s to justify our loving around in latin america

i agree that it bears including, but rwanda and then bosnia really cements the ideology that's going to end up in libya - the democratic party's kind of war

regardless, the point stands - if you're interested in the outward ideology of western military action post cold-war, bosnia is an important case

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Crane Fist posted:

Me, because I've abandoned politics and started exclusively listening to rude tales of magic

Hey, thank you for this. I'm really enjoying it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

was it sniper 2 or sniper 3 that took place in serbia in the late 90s and the plot revolved around the snipers rescuing a dissident journalist

sorry I only played sniper ghost warrior 3 and the plot vaguely resembles this

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't have strong feelings either way, but there is a massive amount of white women trying to "cancel" a brown-skinned Muslim man for cracking jokes about Elizabeth Warren:

https://twitter.com/shafieikeyvan/status/1282075320808546304

seems relevant

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

sorry I only played sniper ghost warrior 3 and the plot vaguely resembles this

the movie. it's the one where they replaced billy zane with bokeem woodbine

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the movie. it's the one where they replaced billy zane with bokeem woodbine

'neither of those are real names, you can't trick me, i won't be fooled into revealing my activation phrase

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

'neither of those are real names, you can't trick me, i won't be fooled into revealing my activation phrase

my reaction to reading any current day celebrity news

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Much like everything Republicans do, they tested the waters on humanitarian war, and Democrats adopted it and codified it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Listened to the latest useful idiots and Taibbi is insufferable with this letter thing. Not to mention that he doesn't get the problem. The problem isn't that Bari Weiss is a hypocrite for signing that letter. The problem is that it is obviously her goal to silence criticism by treating it as a violation of freedom of speech.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

joepinetree posted:

Listened to the latest useful idiots and Taibbi is insufferable with this letter thing. Not to mention that he doesn't get the problem. The problem isn't that Bari Weiss is a hypocrite for signing that letter. The problem is that it is obviously her goal to silence criticism by treating it as a violation of freedom of speech.

precisely. liberals don’t seem to understand the concept of acting in bad faith, much less lying. which you think they would have learned from the bush administration and Iraq. then again if they did their fave would be implicated and Biden would be rotting in The Hague, not trying to sit in the Oval Office

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

when does revolutions come back, anyone know?

curious to see what duncan does after this is over, as he’s said it’s his last one (would have liked a china or cuba series but oh well)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

curious to see what duncan does after this is over, as he’s said it’s his last one (would have liked a china or cuba series but oh well)

I think he said October

as far as what hes doing after I don't think he knows for sure yet he did talk on twitter a long time ago about doing a series on the Gilded age and Long Depression in the US

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Victory Position posted:

the only thing more dangerous than a cop with a gun is a psychiatrist with a gun

Psychiatrists are statistically more likely to be sociopaths, so that makes sense

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

very unfortunate that he set a deadline of ending the thing before his new book comes out because china absolutely should have been included but there's just no way he could have covered it in under a year

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

KomradeX posted:

Dan Carlin sucks, he's a good story teller but a terrible historian, and he's bragged about how historians don't like him. I was really into the world war one series till her cited Naill Ferguson and I stopped listening

Interesting! I've never heard him brag about that but he certainly hits the "I'm not a historian" line about 60x per an episode. I didn't get that far into the WWI series either for about the same reasons, and IMO A World Undone is a much better succinct WWI summary with a fantastic narrator. The first half of the first episode sounded like he had just skimmed that book and Guns of August and added some impromptu Hitler quotes here and there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I had to stop listening to Dan Carlin after the millionth time he had to stop and rant about libertarianism.

“The government, like all governments, was greedy and dumb. They were greedy and dumb and made stupid rules because that’s all governments do. All governments become bad because the power corrupts them into wasting money.”

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

I haven't listened to it, but would it have been something along the lines of the the shivaree?

Nah, I'd be this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehmic_court

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

i think of demons posted:

I saw that they did a Hannah Arendt episode recently and I had to stop myself from listening to it

How did they gently caress up? (There's a lot of ways, like HA was an academic philosopher coming from a very specific intellectual background that most people have no idea about and just treat EiJ as some boilerplate middlebrow journo work)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you meet your fave on the road, cancel him

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thotsky posted:

Hey, thank you for this. I'm really enjoying it.

Glad to hear it! I'm doing what I can to put the word on the street

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I had to stop listening to Dan Carlin after the millionth time he had to stop and rant about libertarianism.

“The government, like all governments, was greedy and dumb. They were greedy and dumb and made stupid rules because that’s all governments do. All governments become bad because the power corrupts them into wasting money.”

what episode was this

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

How did they gently caress up? (There's a lot of ways, like HA was an academic philosopher coming from a very specific intellectual background that most people have no idea about and just treat EiJ as some boilerplate middlebrow journo work)
I just didn't listen as I wasn't that interested and get irritated when anyone has anything but venom for Heidegger

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

I just didn't listen as I wasn't that interested and get irritated when anyone has anything but venom for Heidegger

A Heidegger-fucker like Arendt must be impossible for you to discuss, then

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Toph Bei Fong posted:

A Heidegger-fucker like Arendt must be impossible for you to discuss, then
well obviously, but i meant someone agreeing with her defense of his thought as not just loosely related, but entirely unrelated to his Nazism

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Crane Fist posted:

If you meet your fave on the road, cancel him

:hai:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

Interesting! I've never heard him brag about that but he certainly hits the "I'm not a historian" line about 60x per an episode. I didn't get that far into the WWI series either for about the same reasons, and IMO A World Undone is a much better succinct WWI summary with a fantastic narrator. The first half of the first episode sounded like he had just skimmed that book and Guns of August and added some impromptu Hitler quotes here and there.

Yeah I dived into The Guns of August shortly after, he should have just done the audio book version of it

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

Listening to his completley incoherant ramblings on his recent politics pod was good for a laugh at least. Just a superb example of a pudding-brained belief in america.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I have nothing but venom for no-avs. ( heidegger is a good phil, even if you don’t like his politics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The history of post-Munster Anabaptism is basically one big WE ARE NOT LIKE THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE cry.