Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the mean lunch lady posted:

lol she was on the last citations needed

once again, gently caress The New Inquiry and anyone who wrote for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

i love matt but all throughout like July in the run up to bernie-bux ending he was always "RELAX of course they are going to extend it, they just want to wait until the last minute. there's no way they don't extend it"

lol

the hopium of settler america is totally invincible

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
also they were pretty sure trump couldn’t a SC nominee through without lame duck maneuvering and then romney comes out and assures everyone it’ll be done long before that

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

also they were pretty sure trump couldn’t a SC nominee through without lame duck maneuvering and then romney comes out and assures everyone it’ll be done long before that
who. chapo?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Slanderer posted:

why do so many people on a joke forum fail to understand jokes

Yeah I'm struggling to understand why so many people seem to be treating that like a serious comment

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I linked someone to a transcript of a Citations Needed episode talking about how IP law causes problems in Africa, in connection to the issue of a potential COVID vaccine being gated behind trademarks and patents:

Jason Hickel, the guest posted:

if you look at one of the main problems that the Global South faces right now is that they have a lot of difficulty paying the patent licensing fees that they need on sort of basic medicines and technology including for renewable energy access. And one of the reasons for that is because of the TRIPS agreements, the Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights, which is an agreement that came into force under the World Trade Organization in 1994, which basically massively extends corporate patents law around the world

and if you look at the consequences of these intellectual property laws around the world, they’ve been absolutely devastating. I mean the AIDS crisis that devastated my home country of Swaziland during the 1990s was, was entirely due to the fact that people were unable to access generic medicines when they needed them, even though those medicines were available. Right? Because TRIPS effectively prevented them from doing so.

The response I got was:

quote:

Propaganda.

quote:

the AIDS crisis that devastated my home country of Swaziland during the 1990s was, was entirely due to the fact that people were unable to access generic medicines when they needed them...

Access to generic medicines does not prevent AIDS.

Access to generic medicines cannot cure AIDS.

If the IP Rights law somehow magically went away, the AIDS crisis will still be there.

While it has problematic aspects like any multi-country application, IP Rights Law does not cause AIDS crises.

Pure Propaganda. Such a stretch to lie so much, just to sell your agenda.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Troy Queef posted:

once again, gently caress The New Inquiry and anyone who wrote for it
I never looked at it before today and that front page is pretty dire

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I am just flabbergasted at anyone who thinks the reason republicans would push someone through before the election is because they're not sure Trump can win. No, they do it because you would be crazy to take that chance no matter what.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I linked someone to a transcript of a Citations Needed episode talking about how IP law causes problems in Africa, in connection to the issue of a potential COVID vaccine being gated behind trademarks and patents:

The response I got was:

Access to generic medicines does not prevent AIDS.

Access to generic medicines cannot cure AIDS.

If the IP Rights law somehow magically went away, the AIDS crisis will still be there.

While it has problematic aspects like any multi-country application, IP Rights Law does not cause AIDS crises.

Pure Propaganda. Such a stretch to lie so much, just to sell your agenda.

I want to say look into what the Gupta family was pulling in South Africa, but I'm not quite sure that's the right place to look

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Judakel posted:

I am just flabbergasted at anyone who thinks the reason republicans would push someone through before the election is because they're not sure Trump can win. No, they do it because you would be crazy to take that chance no matter what.

idk what’s so hard about this for people to understand

more power now vs possibly less power later

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

N. Senada posted:

libs have 80s-00s brainworms where they think if they just point out republican hypocrisy that all will be peachy and roses and their wish will come true because everyone will suddenly abide by FACTS N LOGIC as dictated by sorkin. it hasn't worked. it's never worked. but, by god they believe with every fiber in their being that if they just wish hard enough powering their energy crystal that somehow THIS TIME pointing it out will surely make them see the err of their ways

libs are a waste

vote! for! rapist!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

N. Senada posted:

Dems are about to be demoralized and not turn out so probably win now win later and maybe lose sometime before we all fall into the ocean.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Xaris posted:

libs have 80s-00s brainworms where they think if they just point out republican hypocrisy that all will be peachy and roses and their wish will come true because everyone will suddenly abide by FACTS N LOGIC as dictated by sorkin. it hasn't worked. it's never worked. but, by god they believe with every fiber in their being that if they just wish hard enough powering their energy crystal that somehow THIS TIME pointing it out will surely make them see the err of their ways

libs are a waste

vote! for! rapist!
If (when) the other rapist win, just ask them why they are surprised, Trump was always better at rape.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

the mean lunch lady posted:

lol she was on the last citations needed

stopped listening to citations needed about 4 months ago because they have a lot of the sort of takes that are like when libs learn to co-opt anarchist language

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

libs are a waste

vote! for! rapist!

it never ceases to amuse that libs believe in their heart of hearts the people that drove the generation that impeached a president over a blowjob out of office because they weren't vicious enough are somehow loyal opposition who fundamentally want the same thing as them

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

Conservatives are trying to make "anti-Catholic tropes" a thing, but it's gonna fall on its face. The people who hate super religious Catholics the most are other Catholics.
https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/1308441912983072768?s=20

The irony here of these dudes assuming that Catholics don't hate their fundamentalist subculture is that Jewish people loving HATE Haredim

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Judakel posted:

Dems are about to be demoralized and not turn out so probably win now win later and maybe lose sometime before we all fall into the ocean.

lol we’re in hell fam even when they lose they still don’t lose (see Obama’s appointees and RBG not retiring)

it’s like they made a devil’s bargain but there’s no ironic payment

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I asked awhile back for recommendations on podcasts but didn’t hear back much

my current lost is
5-4
Citations needed
Chapo (sometimes)

does anyone have pretty reliable recs for non-ironic listening purposes?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

N. Senada posted:

my current lost is
5-4
Citations needed
Chapo (sometimes)

History Chicks does some pretty good deep historical dives on important women in history

Trashfuture is basically British chapo, but is really hit-or-miss. They have their own Amber, except swap out being dumb with being painfully unfunny.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

N. Senada posted:

In no particular order:

Three Moves Ahead for video games

Lions Lead By Donkeys for military history that isn't right-wing wankery

In the Shadows of Utopia is a really good history of Kampuchea if you want to do a deep dive into that

This Week in Virology if you want to hear from people talking about coronavirus all the time

Rev Left Radio for current events by a communist, Red Menace by the same person except they read books on left theory

Moderate Rebels for foreign affairs

illennials for noted goon poster Serf and his brother

The Worst Wing for an episode-by-episode watch-through of The West Wing and why it sucks rear end, also by goons

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

N. Senada posted:

my current lost is
5-4
Citations needed
Chapo (sometimes)

my current favourite non political stuff is welcome to LA and you must remember this, they're kind of lib but im interested in LA/hollywood history and they're really good and well produced.

gh0stpinballa has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Sep 23, 2020

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i also like crimetown and monster: zodiac. they're the only 2 true crime pods i listen to tho i don't generally care for TC.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

zegermans posted:

The irony here of these dudes assuming that Catholics don't hate their fundamentalist subculture is that Jewish people loving HATE Haredim
The only time I had to deal with a tradcath in real life, it was a guy stalking one of our students. My Catholic boss was just filled with loathing for the little weasel.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

N. Senada posted:

my current lost is
5-4
Citations needed
Chapo (sometimes)

Radio War Nerd (If you're willing to pay a couple of bucks.)
Economic Update
David Harvey's Anti-Capitalist Chronicles
Intercepted (This is mostly a news podcast, so they have some succ/lib guests on.)

The somewhat ironic
Trillbilly Worker's Party
Qanon Anonymous (They kind of thread the needle, the deep dive episodes they have are excellent. They recently did one on Posadism.)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

trueanon is genuinely excellent and the only yankee podcast i recommend to people irl

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

In no particular order:
In the Shadows of Utopia is a really good history of Kampuchea if you want to do a deep dive into that

good to hear this is decent. I heard the rec on inward empire but was nervous about jumping in. I'll start listening after I finish Fall of Rome

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

good to hear this is decent. I heard the rec on inward empire but was nervous about jumping in. I'll start listening after I finish Fall of Rome

I've actually been to Angkor Wat and I can confirm it's legit. The guy sounds Australian so I was a little skeptical at first but he knows his stuff.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Paffgen posted:

She's also the girlfriend of the white In Defense of Looting anti-union lady, from the New Inquiry (red flag) formerly Occupy exploiter.

I think she was on Citations Needed a week or 2 ago and I had essentialism alarm bells going off in my head the entire time, mostly due to the lack of discussion on the exploitation of minorities being within a class structure and nothing on working class organizing.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I think she was on Citations Needed a week or 2 ago and I had essentialism alarm bells going off in my head the entire time, mostly due to the lack of discussion on the exploitation of minorities being within a class structure and nothing on working class organizing.

That's not great but what do you think the world essensialism means my goon?

E: as a postmodern Marxist,

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1308828728269697024?s=20

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've actually been to Angkor Wat and I can confirm it's legit. The guy sounds Australian so I was a little skeptical at first but he knows his stuff.

how was Angkor Wat? that is a place I have always wanted to see if at all possible

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

N. Senada posted:

my current lost is
5-4
Citations needed
Chapo (sometimes)

Ballin Out Super

Age of Napoleon

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A beautiful boy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

stopped listening to citations needed about 4 months ago because they have a lot of the sort of takes that are like when libs learn to co-opt anarchist language

CN is still a pretty good rec to pod-jon libs that appeals to an NPR-brain, and they do have some pretty good insightful episodes, but largely poo poo I already know or is obvious and still has annoying lib brainworms

they don't really produce episodes very often anyways and their newsbriefs suck

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

CN is still a pretty good rec to pod-jon libs that appeals to an NPR-brain, and they do have some pretty good insightful episodes, but largely poo poo I already know or is obvious and still has annoying lib brainworms

they don't really produce episodes very often anyways and their newsbriefs suck

I wonder what's the best series of podcasts to recommend to convert a PSA listener to a Trueanon listener assuming they could convert but need coaxing?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Trabisnikof posted:

I wonder what's the best series of podcasts to recommend to convert a PSA listener to a Trueanon listener assuming they could convert but need coaxing?

ALAB, especially the episode on deutsche bank

libs love credentials like having a jd

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Revolutions and West Wing Thing

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
stav is good

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Victory Position posted:

how was Angkor Wat? that is a place I have always wanted to see if at all possible

it's as good as you think, you could spend a couple of days there easily.

when i went a monk took a picture of me without asking :( there's signs everywhere asking tourists not to do that to them, it's not fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
any good music related leftist podcasts?