Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Apraxin posted:

eh, in the same way nagorno-karabakh’s a part of azerbaijan. they’re defacto independent, it’s just not formally recognized

The situation is too complex to explain to any non-Somali, but it’s illegal under the African Union charter to recognize somaliland, and it’s 40% unionist, so recognition would cause a second civil war in somaliland.

needless to say, don’t think qalaadis should opine on Somalia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

gh0stpinballa posted:

i actually quite like your posts but the 2 times we have interacted directly i have received only hostile energy. fair enough imo i can still enjoy your posts.

if you don’t like her posts then put her on ignore, like I do to all earnestposters

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Sacramento is the Saint Paul of California

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

MizPiz posted:

Coronavirus is going to become a superbug when it incorporates Virgil's DNA

Yeah, I had it. was coughing,puking and making GBS threads myself for a week.

allah preserves the believers

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

T-Mans avatar really suits them.

behead those who insult Amber

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Crane Fist posted:

T-man is right, trying to get laid is the only reason to ever talk about something a woman said or did and since we're all quarantined the internet is now just for the fellas

I don’t want to have sex with amber.

I want to marry her and have racially ambiguous kids with her who’s face she can smoke in ( because cigarette smoke is good for children’s lungs)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

i skipped a huge clip where he talks about rome or some poo poo, really slogs down 15-20 min in or something i think

I'll finish the rest tommorrow, only like 10 min left i must have skipped like 20 minutes of just incoherent bullshit lol

the German centre party was a catholic party, most German liberals would vote for the German State Party, which had a whopping total of...

20 seats.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Crowsbeak posted:

I know Somalis who are against illegal immigration .

lol did you meet my uncle?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

the class of your parents and childhood. some people "make good," ie become professionals, landlords, and/or business owners when their parents were not, despite retaining or even cultivating working class shibboleths. presumably the same thing can happen in the other direction.

but even if that's true, who cares, i was making a useless technical correction, not an assessment of an actual podcaster's actual class character.

Class isn’t economic in Britain, it’s social. You can be a working class billionaire, or an nob who doesn’t have a cent to their name.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

GANDHITRON posted:

No wonder why everyone hates him now

Virgil is the t-man of chapo, because he’s the worst mic and I have to look at replies to see what he’s crying about now, because I have him on block

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

how do I join the cumtown telegram?

can they chapo-check me on there?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

every time I read t-mans posts I shotgun a load of Prozac straight down my throat

. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “bad-post ” style of humor was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” t-man to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

don’t reference the subreddit

Jewel Repetition posted:

You can tell T-man is a bad poster because she doesn't have a No Joe tag

t-man is bad because they don’t have a big beautiful golden tower that shows they support and appreciate the best president

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

i say swears online posted:

I bet she wears a straw hat she bought in cuba

drat. don’t make me imagine amber sunning herself on the beach. im fasting.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

straw hats are part of Ambers heritage, just like straw men is part of the people who hate hers heritage

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Autism Sneaks posted:

her heritage is castles with lava moats, kidnapping princesses, having stinky Italian feet on her head etc.

I’ll be probed for horny-posting if you guys keep putting amber and feet in the same sentence

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

[img] https://i.imgur.com/W1uSDnn_d.jpg[/img]

like how could you guys hate the type of person who posts stuff like that! her heart is just as beautiful as her mind.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 08:42 on Apr 25, 2020

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

i say swears online posted:

tanya: "shivering in my own filth, while my neighbor ran her oxygen off a truck battery, while they..."

the dashas found a Tanya now?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Fanta is the nazi soft-drink.

that’s why I always detour around Autobans and take privately built free market TOLL ROADS when I’m in Germany.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

NotNut posted:

ironically Zero HP Lovecraft came to this same conclusion even though he's a far-right mystic and, iirc, anti-gnostic

What an @!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

papa horny michael posted:

amber didn't like him because he refused to not employ a sex pest writer iirc

sex pests are like highlanders

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I do not understand dwarf fortress

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

like every few months I download it with all of the newb mods, hacksense and whatever, and it completely baffles the poo poo out of me. I end up wasting a couple hundred megabytes before I delete it, then I read about the lore and try playing it again.

my computer automatically knows to send me to the download page at the same time every month now somehow.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

T-man posted:

tankies are just larping revolution, sucking out support by being the loud assholes that get conflated with actual leftists

you should know a lot about being a loud rear end in a top hat

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Saying orcs are racist is correct (they very obviously represent our old impressions of humans from band and chiefdom societies, or sometimes of humans with lower socioeconomic status like soccer hooligans and african americans) but also counter-productive. Fantasy stuff is inherently fascist but it allows the fascism present in every person to be indulged in a harmless way without directing it to political ends. When you start forcing people to confront it and making it an open shameful issue instead of something politely ignored, you get rid of that release valve

orcs are classist, not racist. Mordor and the Orcs represent the “New Industrilized England” and the factory working class, while the shire represents the old England of roast beef and rural living.

The real irony in all of this is that tolkein conceived of the orcs as the corrupted industrial working class who were violently throwing the world out of balance with nature, unlike the "good" rural working class of happy-go-lucky peasants represented by the hobbits. This is a super british trope, but it's more Blake's "dark satanic Mills" than Kipling's "Gunga Din"

PawParole has issued a correction as of 22:08 on May 2, 2020

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Yeah that's true of Tolkien orcs but not D&D orcs, which iirc was where the discourse started

This argument that essentially different species inside of a fantasy space who are essentially different act differently is some kind of racist dog-whistle is actually racist itself . It’s pretty loving offensive, like when PETA tries to be woke and compares owning a dog to slavery.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 22:17 on May 2, 2020

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Autism Sneaks posted:

how white are you

the only white part of me are my eyeballs. ( and my nails, I haven’t cut them enough since Ramadan started)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

orcs aren't racist, they can't be racist due to the power balance between them and humans

orcs can’t be racist because they’re a different species, and race is always pseudoscientific nonsense, whether it’s the aryan race or the “negro” race or the British claims that the Irish were a variety of bog dwelling gorilla.

The only differation in human beings is like coloration and facial feature shape. The Orcs are literally a loving different species. Of course they act different, just like a zebra doesn’t act like a wolf!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Can anyone recommend me a tabletop game with a lot of lore, since we’re on that topic anyway.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

it has a write up by fatal and friends, which means it’s Bad

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Fantasy is about making embodiments of deeply felt ideas people have. What part of this are you missing

read a book that isn’t written by Ayn Rand or her Wheel of Time simp.

Varinn posted:

a huge part of colonialist-era scientific racism was classifying people as other species of human, to explain why they were just naturally predisposed to rape and violence, and had to be culled.

creating a world in which this is actually true is extremely weird! orcs can be a different species of human, but describing them as "biologically violent" ABSOLUTELY is hinging poo poo on racist poo poo, dude

“Orcs are savage raiders and pillagers with stooped postures, low foreheads, and pig-like faces with prominent lower canines that resemble a boar’s tusks.”

didn’t know Africans looked like that. I would absolutely love to have boar tusks tbh.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

like outside of Varg, literally no far-righter compares any human to Orcs. There is literally no human culture on earth that’s like orcs.

It sounds like someone just watched Bright on Netflix and went : "Oh I get it now! Orcs are brown people and elves are asians. It again falls on me, a vegan with an ironic mustache who grew up in a gated community, to save the minorities from this oppression."

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

fairy meat is my favorite tabletop.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

There've never been human cultures of raiders, who had lower levels of technology than the people they were raiding, and who were thought of by those people as ugly and savage?

the British East India Company?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

You're almost there

enlighten me of the great Indian raid on blighty, where they nicked the brits sense of taste and took it back to Delhi.

Varinn posted:

the point is that describing people like that is exactly what the british did when they were writing about the "lesser races", you dunce

nobody is falling for your dumbass "whos the real racist here??" poo poo

it’s a description, your supposed to describe everything in a descriptive way. Look at the wiki page for humans

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

to be fair, so are Swedish people.

the black people are "natural warriors" though. :hmbol:

don’t step up to Hammerfell. I love swordsinging and I want the next game to be set in the Redguard Homeland

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Farm Frenzy posted:

idk what the redguard homeland lore is but bethesda would make it wakanda

Yokuda was sunk by elvish magic.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Crane Fist posted:

The EIC absolutely did not have lower levels of technology than the people they were raiding, the only real driver behind their success was "better guns, better at firing guns"

They couldn’t even get the Mughals to give them a Firman of trade in the 1740’s, and they imported literally billions of everything from India , from advanced steel to textiles.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

no, they had to import most things using boxes of Spanish bullion. This is early East Indian company time, around Childes War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

The conflicts heavily affected major cities like Mumbai, Madras, Kolkata and Chittagong, which resulted the intervention of Emperor Aurangzeb, who seized all the factories of the company and arrested members of the British Army, while the company forces commanded by Sir Josiah Child, Bt captured further Mughal trading ships and set the houses on fire of many faujdars.

Ultimately the British East India Company was defeated by the army of the Mughal Empire and the company was fined 150.000 rupees (roughly equivalent to today's $4.4 million). The company's apology was accepted and the old firman was granted by Emperor Aurangzeb.