Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looking for some tips on desk ergonomic related stuff. Long story short, looking for a new desk, and have questions about desk height, options, ergonomic stuff.

Got ulnar nerve issues on my left arm a couple months ago, numbness in hand, saw the doc etc, took a bit off from PC gaming. Also used a standing desk for a couple months (made with stacks of graphic novels), back to sitting down now. Found I'm gonna have to saw my old huge wood desk in half and throw it out, since it's too tall to get the 90 degree arm angle, even with an extra high office average chair.

So I used to have my arms on elevated arm rests to get my arms at a proper angle, but leaving them there all the time caused that nerve issue. So now I'm gonna give using no arm rests a go. But to have my arms at a good 90 degree angle I'll need a lower desk surface, and thin in the middle with no drawer so I can have room to mess with chair height more.

Also a more general question about the hand height thing. They say you want your shoulders relaxed, and also a 90 degree arm angle. This pretty much means your keyboard will be in your lap, right? Or an inch or two higher than your knees at most, at least for me. That's why I'm thinking I'll need a thin desk with no middle drawer. Any thoughts on the ol' keyboard height and arm angle thing?

My old desk is 29 inches high. My knees go about 25 inches high with the chair at mid height, which feels good for my knees. So I'd want an inch of clearance above my knees, but also want to lower the desk at least a few inches. So maybe a 26 inch tall desk. An adjustable height desk is a fancy thought too, then the chair wouldn't be the only adjustable part of it.

So in a nutshell, switching to gaming with no arm rests, no wrist rests, need a lower desk, and interested in any thoughts on the whole desk ergonomics topic.

Also, where do you find a desk shorter than 29 inches? Looking on amazon, 29 or 30 inches is the standard. (edit: looks like ikea has a some adjustable / shorter desks)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Maybe just add a keyboard tray to the underside of the desk? My old desk has one built in and its 24" high with the surface at 30"

Also you'd probably have a better time asking around the desk fetish thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920891

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 10, 2019

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

After 20+ years of using a mouse/keyboard I've started to have problems with pain in the bicep/deltoid area of my right arm. It's a burning pain, usually not too bad on Mondays, but by Thursday-Friday, the pain is pretty bad.
I switched to a height-adjustable desk at work and that has helped a bit. My desk at home is still too high (29 inches versus 27.5 for my work desk) so I'm now looking at getting another height-adjustable model from Ikea. My work desk is still slightly too high but Ikea has a different model that adjusts down to 22 inches so I'm going to be buying that in the near future.
I know that Ikea furniture isn't the best quality but it's pretty much the only option if you don't want to drop $500+ on an adjustable desk.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good luck there!

AgentCow007 posted:

Maybe just add a keyboard tray to the underside of the desk? My old desk has one built in and its 24" high with the surface at 30"

Also you'd probably have a better time asking around the desk fetish thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920891

Thanks, I read some of that thread but didn't know if such a lengthy post would fit. I'll ask a quick question in there. Keyboard trays are a possibility, though for this old desk I'd have to remove the middle drawer, and the wood bar and side frames under it. Good idea though, since it opens up the option of getting a simple cheap 29 inch desk and attaching a tray.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Good luck there!

Thanks, I read some of that thread but didn't know if such a lengthy post would fit. I'll ask a quick question in there. Keyboard trays are a possibility, though for this old desk I'd have to remove the middle drawer, and the wood bar and side frames under it. Good idea though, since it opens up the option of getting a simple cheap 29 inch desk and attaching a tray.

Up until the couple month I've also taken the approach of having an adjustable desk chair in combination with a foot rest. I've used both a soft foot rest and a solid foot rest and like the solid one more: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJJ2E76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said I recently have tried to task myself with what you're describing, which is to have a non-keyboard tray desk solution with a chair that my feet can rest on the ground. I'm 5'7 with relatively short legs. The desk I got is:
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/p...bra_d=&libra_g=

The chair piece is something I've spent a lot of time looking for. I'm in the process of getting an old chair I bought re-upholstered because I wanted a chair that did not have casters that I also thought was comfortable. If you don't have opposition to an ergonomic chair it's probably your best bet. Alternatively you should look for retailers that sell both new and used chairs and just be patient. It took me the better part of 3 months to find one I liked.