Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

jojoinnit posted:

Hmmm that'll be annoying since the only one of his films I've seen is the remake and that was on a plane so not very optimal.

I tried to keep the spoiler so I apologise if that's overly vague.
I was just listening to an ep where they announced Demme was scheduled, I had forgotten.

Also: watch Stop Making Sense immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

jojoinnit posted:

Hmmm that'll be annoying since the only one of his films I've seen is the remake and that was on a plane so not very optimal.

Demme's got some great movies, leaving aside the obvious ones like Silence of the Lambs, which I watched for the first time this year and made me vote for Demme in March Madness.

In other news, I managed to get my hands on a copy of the Joe Hisaishi/Hiyazaki soundtracks. I'm a happy, happy man. Listening to Kiki's soundtrack yesterday made me tear up a little.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

jojoinnit posted:

Demme won March Madness so he's not a secret or anything. He has some pretty great films!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It's weird how many of his movies I've seen without ever realizing they were by a single director. The only two since Silence I haven't seen are the Truth about Charlie and Ricki and the Flash.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's weird how many of his movies I've seen without ever realizing they were by a single director. The only two since Silence I haven't seen are the Truth about Charlie and Ricki and the Flash.

When I saw Rickin and the Flash in his filmography I let out this loud 'WHAT'.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Jeez the first 5 minutes of the latest ep really makes me miss Griffin McElroy. This guest is just too pompous. Never seen Shrek, hates on Disney's Aladdin which he's also somehow never seen, and apparently has just never heard of Rat Race, i guess because it's all below him.

Also Spirited Away is great but maybe the best film ever made? Come on, David.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Just Chamber posted:

Jeez the first 5 minutes of the latest ep really makes me miss Griffin McElroy. This guest is just too pompous. Never seen Shrek, hates on Disney's Aladdin which he's also somehow never seen, and apparently has just never heard of Rat Race, i guess because it's all below him.

David Rees is 47 years old, even if he wasn't a weird countercultural satirist guy him not watching childrens cartoons in his 20s isn't really that unusual and especially not back in the pre-internet days when adults being super into childrens media wasn't nearly as common or socially acceptable as it is now.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
David Rees is weird but great. Going Deep owned. Also Spirited Away IS maybe one of the best films of all time? That’s not that controversial a statement, I don’t think?

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

When Rees said "I think all interesting movies are either puzzles or dreams" I kinda went 'woah' for a second. Dude's got a point there!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm really looking forward to the Howl's Moving Castle episode because that was the exact point that I felt like Miyazaki's reliance on the same few tropes and focusing on visuals and mood over coherent story kind of imploded on itself and I want to see how it holds up to them shotgunning his content in rapid succession like this.

Also looking forward to not one but two special episodes this month.

https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1159640846276411396

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Decent JOKER discussion, though I kind of don't know why it happened. Its not bad in any real enjoyable way, its just messy and unfocused and doesn't really know what it's trying to say.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

Decent JOKER discussion, though I kind of don't know why it happened. Its not bad in any real enjoyable way, its just messy and unfocused and doesn't really know what it's trying to say.

twisted

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

That was probably one of the first times I really disagreed with the Two Friends, especially when they said Gemini Man is better than Joker.

It's just not. And this is coming from someone who had a blast watching Gemini Man!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Kinda surprised this thread wasn't resurrected when Rise of Skywalker dropped. I only recently got into the two friends but went through the OT and ST eps before seeing episode 9. Man, they are absolutely glad to be done with star wars and it shows in the episode. I tried to listen to the podcast with my wife (I think she listened in on the Last Jedi episode) and she HATED Griffin for constantly chiming in and interrupting David. This really is a love it or hate it podcast, but it was also probably not a great idea to have her listen to a Star Wars episode first. Anyway I'm listening to their Wachowski series and also trying to stay current on the Demme series but it's hard to find time to watch the films I haven't seen before listening to the corresponding episode. Gladly the show is entertaining enough even when you haven't seen the movie.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The Wachowski series is great! Agreed about this podcast being entertaining even if you haven't seen the film they're discussing. I rarely have time to watch movies to the point where I've still not even seen Star Wars 8. I still haven't seen Stop Making Sense, sorry goons. I actually don't think I could recognise a single Talking Heads song but I really enjoyed the episode on it!

I've just realised that I've probably "seen" more movies via this podcast than I've actually literally watched. Sometimes they're descriptive enough that I very much feel like I "get it" and that'll continue since I will probably never actually sit down and watch the Miyazaki stuff (I've only seen Howls Moving Castle) or the early Demme's. A few years ago my friends got mad at me and made me binge all the Godfathers and Die Hards over two weekends, to give an example of how behind I am with popular culture. The Godfathers were great. I wish they'd stopped the Die Hards at 3. I've still never seen a Rambo or an Alien and I think those are probably the next thing I should experience, at least the first couple of each. I recently read an interview with Michael Biehn and it made me interested to see his acting against Sigourney Weaver in those.

This long post went very off topic and I apologise and blame the drink.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

jojoinnit posted:

I still haven't seen Stop Making Sense, sorry goons. I actually don't think I could recognise a single Talking Heads song but I really enjoyed the episode on it!
Yeah, you should fix that.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

I wish they'd stopped the Die Hards at 3.

Everyone does friend...everyone does.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

I will probably never actually sit down and watch the Miyazaki stuff (I've only seen Howls Moving Castle)

You should also fix this.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
This episode turning into Star Wars talk was a turn. I think their predictions were dead on? I haven't seen the movie but I have listened to two podcasts on it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Blank Check posted its 5th anniversary special episode. I’ve only been listening for a few months so some of the clips of old episodes they’re playing are taking me by surprise. Namely, that absolute magic trick JD Amato pulled on the Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk episode. I mean holy poo poo, that’s probably the funniest thing I’ve heard on any episode of any podcast ever.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
and I’m David

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mlmp08 posted:

and I’m David
The perfect post to resurrect the thread.

I'm very behind on the podcast but the string of episodes they just finished (Carpenter up through They Live!) is such a fantastic stretch of filmmaking. Carpenter is such a great cinematic voice.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

and I’m David

:master:

Yeah I’m way behind too, due to being obsessive about watching the films before listening to the episodes. I’m on Escape From New York which so far is a great episode, meanwhile I’m trying to catch up on the backlog, in the middle of Spielberg. On the one hand it’s great to have so many episodes and movies to look forward to, on the other hand I don’t have nearly enough time to keep pace. Not to mention the Patreon episodes.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

and I’m David

Crash! A PIPE goes through the window!

oh no

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 22, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Vampires is fun

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
The thing that makes this podcast really sing is that they're two friends

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The fact that David is usually the guy trying to keep things on rails and partially on time makes the episodes where he comes in punchy or hot extra special occasions.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

crimedog posted:

The thing that makes this podcast really sing is that they're two friends

Also that they don't do bits.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
They are, however, pro-Smits

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Not feeling the current Carpenter series because Carpenter is a number one movie nerd director so everyone already had million of takes on him and rankings and reevaluations and what not, but

1) Alex Ross Perry using most of his episode to do a lecture on american horror movie history was wonderful
2) Memoirs of Invisible Man episode mostly talking about Chevy Chase and where did it all go wrong with him multiple times was nice

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Not feeling the current Carpenter series because Carpenter is a number one movie nerd director so everyone already had million of takes on him and rankings and reevaluations and what not, but

Gotta agree. I'm also not much of a horror movie guy, so this series has basically been a full skip for me.

That said, the next commentary series is the Santa Clause trilogy, so that will be a blast. Their episodes on the Polar Express and Christmas Carol were great, so I'm down for much more Christmas content.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Gotta agree. I'm also not much of a horror movie guy, so this series has basically been a full skip for me.

That said, the next commentary series is the Santa Clause trilogy, so that will be a blast. Their episodes on the Polar Express and Christmas Carol were great, so I'm down for much more Christmas content.

We're on such opposite wavelengths from one another that if you and I ever met it might cause a matter-antimatter explosion

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've really enjoyed this series precisely because I wasn't really a Carpenter head or huge into horror. Sure, I had seen some of the biggest movies or saw them forever ago, but this has been a fun look at not just what Carpenter was up to, but what other horror folks were up to around the same time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Are you even skipping the non-horror Carpenters?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What show/movie was Griffin referring to during the Memoirs of an Invisible Man episode where he said a star only had 2 hours of energy in a day and they had to shoot around it?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Amazon’s live action The Tick. Reference himself as Arthur.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Oh I thought maybe it was that but for some reason I thought he really liked being on that show

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Doesn't mean it wasn't tiring.

Also, the Kitty Korner here sure is familiar.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i've been obsessively watching the george lucas talk show and it's actively making me stupider

highly recommended for anyone who wishes blank check was only the dumbest bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mlmp08 posted:

Oooh, and here I thought he was talking about Peter Serafinowicz.