Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

1. What do you like to do in a role-playing game
I really enjoy versatility. Like, as a rule, if there's a generalist class I'll do that. I tend towards warrior and rogue types when they're good, but hack wizards into make the prior two work when they aren't. I like messy party dynamics and the emotion stuff looked pretty interesting when I skimmed the rules earlier.

2. What tone should we be going for here?
Put me in the high adventure camp, typically, but I think there's room for the darker edges around the power fantasy. I think Exalted isn't a bad frame of reference for the blend. On the one hand, it's a kung-fu adventure madhouse. On the other, it can be a nuanced look at the cost of power and how it changes people.

3. What themes should the game have?
I agree with the lines being drawn in prior answers. I think, fundamentally, I'd like a nuanced look at the whole fantasy/reality split that makes the actual struggle to choose meaningful. If everything is terrible, that steals the impact away from the narrative. Paint a flawed world, but one that ultimately offers a reason to want it. You can't have wish fulfillment without the fulfillment, right?

4. Finally, who are these people?
High school gaming group reunion sounds solid to me. There's a lot of rich space in exploring how leaving the group for years (or the subgroup that stayed together) changes things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I definitely dig that tension and I like Red Moon for the setting name.

I figure that Sofia would have been on the side of would-be important storytelling, though she was pretty mousy and it was easy for the other players to rope her into Murderhobo Distillery adventures. Her deal was that she lived out of the bussing zone, but couldn't get a ride home until her dad got off work and picked her up. It was basically down to the after-school game club or some sort of sport and, well, she was bookish. I think Sofia kept in the hobby when she went off to college, but hasn't played the Pathfinder-alike since. Much more in the indie and narrative gaming space.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

What was your best subject? Your worst? How smart were you?

Sofia excelled at English, did fairly well in Math and Social Studies, and was consistently on the D+/C- line for whatever Science class she had. Overall she's got a pretty intuitive understanding of most things, but didn't really have the study skills to deal with things like Chemistry when it didn't make sense.

Were you bullied?

A little, but more in the passive social estrangement sense. She probably figured it was her fault for not being assertive enough to join social groups, but the default friend group of the game club was probably a significant chunk of her social life.

Were your parents divorced?

Sofia hasn't really ever gotten the whys and hows out of her dad, but yeah. Her mom took off when she was little.

What did you think you'd be when you grew up?

Astronaut. Pity about the whole science thing, huh?

Did you have any hobbies? Music?

I think Sofia probably focused in on something like photography. Maybe had a rough darkroom setup in her closet. Probably used a tremendously beat up old camera she got at a yard sale or something.

What did you hate about yourself?

Sofia hated (and, honestly, still hates) that she's not great at asserting herself. She wants to be someone who can navigate social events with as much finesse as she can write an article, but her attempts to force it have never ended well.

Who were you most jealous of?

Sofia really envied how well Winona seemed to navigate the politics of school, whether or not that was actually the case, and had so many people that she'd hang out with.

Were you in love with anyone? Lust?

Hmm, I feel like there may have been a crush on Tony back in the club days, but Sofia wouldn't have done anything about it unless he was really signaling it was mutual. Possibly with neon signs.

What do you do now? Do you enjoy it?

She's got a gig as a writer for a paper in the nearby bigger city. She doesn't hate it, but I think that she's still working on a novel in her spare time and hoping that she can make it big with that.

Are you married? Divorced? Multiple divorces? If so, who to?

She's quasi-happily single.

Do you have kids? Did you want kids?

I don't think so, for either question. Sofia's not someone super focused on her career, but I see her as someone who has grown into a strong sense of what she wants to be doing at any given moment. Being a caretaker of any sort, past something more passive like a cat, really doesn't suit her.

How do you think about your teenage years? How do you think about your time playing RPGs?

I think it was something of a bright spot in a much less happy time. College was good for her, so was getting out on her own, but she does remember some of the story arcs quite fondly. Not the ones with Tony's ninja stripper lesbians, maybe, but some of the other ones have given her some ideas she's working into her own story.

If someone makes a movie of this game, which actor plays your persona?

I'm envisioning someone like Mia Maestro, circa 2006 Poseidon.

Why does your persona hate their life?

Her dad keeps haranging her about settling down and having children, her social life is best described as "parasocial attachments to popular youtubers," and journalism isn't anywhere near as rewarding as she thought it might be. She basically sees all the opportunities and whatnot she was given and realizes she's converted that into utter, banal mediocrity

Tricky fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 14, 2019

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Here's my sheet as well. Of note, I'm really tanky when I'm charged up and given the circumstances, I think I'm somewhere in the 1-2 range right now. I'd definitely be willing to tie up the giant if Tony/Win can hold the small ones.

e: Adding my Creative Violence scale, since it's not on the linked sheet.

Level 2:
You could defeat: a mob, a blockage, a village, a weakness.

Level 3:
You could defeat: an army, a mountain range, a town.

Level 4:
You can defeat: a city, despair, someone you truly love.

Level 5:
You can defeat: a country, a religion.

Level 6:
You can defeat: a god, hope, yourself.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 2, 2019