Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Did we really need a new thread just so people who don't want to confront racism and bigotry in their hobby can plug their ears and continue pretending it doesn't exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh yeah i forgot the most important part about AEW. it has luke perry's son and a dinosaur who does lucha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0n-bsYNcFk

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Gumball Gumption posted:

Did we really need a new thread just so people who don't want to confront racism and bigotry in their hobby can plug their ears and continue pretending it doesn't exist?

apparently, yes

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

don't forget the 14 gamer words Kenny Omegron has used.

also centrism is incompatible with human existence.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Remember when the WWE had three Mexicans coming to the ring on lawnmowers

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yes because white people hate feeling uncomfortable

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

3 Mexican legends, btw. It was such bullshit.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Yes because white people hate feeling uncomfortable

They just remember the good old days when wrestling wasn't racist and no one was upset. The days when even a white man could be the African Dream.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Remember when sin cara 2 unmasked and started riding a bicycle to the ring with Tanga Loa

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm torn on this thread

on one hand it's borderline whether it even belongs here and it's WH2K tossing things over into our yard because there's a significant amount of trump supporters there that are thin skinned babies

on the other I like the wrestlemen and we're actually discussing the bad parts of pro wrestling

idk cspam's dumb af so I'm inclined to allow it but I've got my eye on you!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm mad this isn't an e-fed for watching the worst of c-spam slug it out in fire pro world

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I don't care about wrestling, and I like the OP but

Sidda posted:

remember when u hosed this and had to pay ten dollars?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

i'm mad this isn't an e-fed for watching the worst of c-spam slug it out in fire pro world
it could be

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

still wishing for an AEW AKI game for n64

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
[World Wide Wrestling] Catch-Style Pro Anarchy Matwork

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is there where I sign up for horse wrestling lessons?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

There's a very appropriately named leftist wrestling subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmartMarx/

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh my god i never noticed the 76mm guns they even went and got for rusev's tank entrance

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

There's a very appropriately named leftist wrestling subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmartMarx/

That name owns

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Taintrunner posted:

be the change you want to see in the world

seriously if WH2K can make GPW a thing one of us can probably get CSPAMPWSPAM off the ground

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

coconono posted:

is there where I sign up for horse wrestling lessons?
Ask your avatar?

Andrast posted:

That name owns
:yeah:

e: lol

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

back in the early 80s wrestling was a super regional thing, one of which was calgary stampede wrestling. imagine a list of wrestlers too lovely to make in... kentucky or some other garbage dump.

one of the dudes on the show was named 'Michele Starr', who's shtick was the he was a woman trapped in a man's body. make-up, used to mount the other dude's face to pin him, acting super-gay, etc.

I have no idea why this is my only wrestling memory, aside from that time george the animal steele tried to rape elizabeth but wound up with a giant cut on his forehead.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tweNVDPulnI

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
remember tugboat

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Remember when Vince McMahon did a Joe Paterno not once, but twice (and possibly three times if you give the Patterson accusations any credence), and people still give WWE money.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

frankenfreak posted:

remember tugboat

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would just like to let everyone know that all the wrestling things I like are good, politically and all the wrestling things I don't like are bad, politically. And if the wrestling things I like do stupid things like take pictures with dumbshit youtubers or go to Saudi Arabia despite building their brand around being an LGBT ally and then try to smooth it over with a lame instagram post, well, uh.

*Jado hits you in the back with a kendo stick, saving me from having to reflect on the perhaps unhealthy amount of faith I put in celebrities that are at their core, disingenuous performance artists*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
heres the head wrestler of aew

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1137881322897076225

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

VJeff posted:

I would just like to let everyone know that all the wrestling things I like are good, politically and all the wrestling things I don't like are bad, politically. And if the wrestling things I like do stupid things like take pictures with dumbshit youtubers or go to Saudi Arabia despite building their brand around being an LGBT ally and then try to smooth it over with a lame instagram post, well, uh.

*Jado hits you in the back with a kendo stick, saving me from having to reflect on the perhaps unhealthy amount of faith I put in celebrities that are at their core, disingenuous performance artists*

what is even this post

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Remember how one of the most popular wrestlers of all time (SCSA) had the gimmick of "blue collar nobody who beats up his boss regularly and gets away with it"? Too bad he's a wife beater.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
When I was in elementary school I told a classmate that my dad said wrestling wasnt real and he threatened to have steven Austin or whatever beat up my dad. Thats my wrestling story godspeed thread

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Terminal autist posted:

When I was in elementary school I told a classmate that my dad said wrestling wasnt real and he threatened to have steven Austin or whatever beat up my dad. Thats my wrestling story godspeed thread

well don’t leave us hanging did he do it

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

my first favorite wrestler was Chris Benoit lmao

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Peanut President posted:

Remember how one of the most popular wrestlers of all time (SCSA) had the gimmick of "blue collar nobody who beats up his boss regularly and gets away with it"? Too bad he's a wife beater.

He also beat the poo poo out of the cops that his boss would hide behind.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

seriously though who is this dweeb

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

is pepsi ok posted:

He also beat the poo poo out of the cops that his boss would hide behind.
also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmpavOuqFqk

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

seriously though who is this dweeb

basically hitler can't believe Kenny is best friends with him and endorses all of his views

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Can someone post John Stossel getting slapped

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Remember when Vince McMahon did a Joe Paterno not once, but twice (and possibly three times if you give the Patterson accusations any credence), and people still give WWE money.
Basically, it comes down to this:

If you believe Tom Cole, you believe that Patterson was a bad actor in the ring boys mess. Most people believe Tom Cole; they just forget that he accused Patterson of stuff/tend to remember that he told WWE he was OK with Patterson coming back. (YMMV if he was pressured into this the way he said he was with signing stuff claiming his brother drummed the allegations.)

Specifially:

http://wrestlingperspective.com/issue/78/cole1.html

Wrestling Perspective: At one point you had a run-in or issue with Terry Garvin, I believe?

Tom Cole: Well, there was an issue with Pat Patterson. He used to, when I was younger, I can’t be specific, but l was in the 15-year-old range, 16-year-old, he’d look at you when he was talking to you, he’d look right at your crotch and he’d like lick his lips and poo poo. He’d make sexual gestures by looking at you like that. He put his hand on your rear end and squeeze your rear end and stuff like that. He’d check you out like you were a chick. That’s pretty much all that he did.

[...]

Wrestling Perspective: But Pat Patterson never made an overt pass at you?

Tom Cole: He grabbed my rear end. Except that, no. Maybe because of my age at the time that he didn’t want to get out of hand. Terry Garvin said something to me that night that really bothered me though. Actually, it was the next day on the way home. He didn’t say much. The one thing that he did say to me was something to the effect of this is how it goes. There is a chain of command. I was like, “What does that mean?” He’s like, “I figured since you knew Mel and we all know what Mel’s all about. Mel usually,” he didn’t use the word hooks me up, but he said something to that effect. I don’t want to say something that he didn’t say so I really can’t find the word, but it was to the effect that there was a chain of command with him and Mel or something. That’s what he meant, but I can’t remember the exact wording. But that was what he was getting at.

[...]

Wrestling Perspective: What exactly were the terms of the settlement?

Tom Cole: I got my job back, two years back pay, they could never like try to say, try to go against me what they agreed with the understanding of everything that happened to me. They weren’t going to try to fight that issue and Terry Garvin and Mel Phillips would never, ever again be employed by Titan Sports or the World Wrestling Federation or any parent company thereof. They had a clause in there about Pat Patterson, but it wasn’t pertaining to him never working for the company again. So they knew from the beginning, which I didn’t realize being young and not looking at the document. I was young. Pat Patterson wound up coming back a couple of weeks later. I was up in the office with Vince and they were going over a bunch of stuff about how to handle things and I, was sitting at a board meeting, which I did for like two months straight. Vince goes to me one day, “Can you come here for a second, Tom?" I’m like, “Sure.” So we walk into this comer of the corporate meeting office up there and he goes, “Pat Patterson is in the building. You don’t have a problem with that, do you? Because if you do, I don’t want you to run into each other and you get all upset.” I was like, “Whatever, man, nah, I don’t.” What was I going to say? He goes, “Good, maybe you guys can have a talk and work this out.” But that never happened. But that’s what he said to me that day. This is how I know their mindset and how they think because I sat in on meetings with these people. I see how vicious and how ruthless they are. No one really knows that except being there and not many people have been where I’ve been at that company and have sat there and seen how they handle things and see what they’re about. Not many people can say that. There are people that write about the WWF. There are people that say stuff and give their opinions, but if you haven’t been there then you just don’t really know what the inner workings of that company is really all about.

Cole's initial, un-filed civil complaint (it was later filed as an exhibit as part of other litigation) from 1992 also said that:

"Throughout plaintiff's tenure in the WWF, defendant Patterson; inter alia, would regularly l plaintiff's genitals and/or buttocks while plaintiff was carrying out his duties, and on many occasions made unwelcome, sexual overtures to plaintiff by means of sexually explicit signs and expressions."

His filed complaint a little over a year later, which was less descriptive, said that:

"During his tenure with the WWF, plaintiff, like other young co-employees known to him, endured on-going sexual harassment in the form of unwelcome, homosexual solicitation by defendants Mel Phillips and Pat Patterson, among others."

and

"Upon information and belief, defendants Garvin, Phillips, and Patterson have openly and with the knowledge of their employers engaged in a widely known pattern of such sexual harassment for a period of at least several years with respect to other employees, many of whom are or were below the age of majority. On information and belief, these actions were known to and condoned by Titan and WWF."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

steve austin kinda sucks but stone cold rules