Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quyB8PMTD3o
If the boys wanna fight you better let 'em! Spread the word around- Calcio Storico season is here and all four teams are back this year!

Last year the semis started with the Reds playing and winning a "friendly" game against a combined Green and White team as the Blues were suspended last year for assaulting officials in 2017
(quick reminder "After the Azzurri took a shocking early lead poo poo hit the fan after a series of "controversial" reffing expulsions. The blues felt hard done by these decisions against them and logically proceeded to assault multiple officials causing the police to storm the field and end the game. The game was suspended, the blues were kicked out of the tournament and the whites were moved on into the final."The game ended 18 minutes in with blue leading white 2.5 - 0.)

Afterwards the Verdi cruised to an convincing win against the Bianchi to face the Reds in the final. Unfortunately many of the key Green players were decimated early on in the final and the Reds handed the Greens a huge defeat (final score 10.5 to 4).

What will happen this year? Will the Whites regain their dominance, will the Greens finally win it for the first time since I've been watching this contest (no), will the Reds be unrepentant scumbags (yes), Will the Blues be on their best behavior? I don't know what will happen but what I do know is that I can't wait to watch these roided up Italian men punch each other in a sandy piazza

What is Calcio Storico?

Basically this

More Precisely
Calcio fiorentino (also known as calcio storico "historic football") is an early form of football that originated in 16th century Italy. Once widely played, the sport is thought to have originated in the Piazza Santa Croce in Florence. Interest in Calcio waned in the early 17th century. However in 1930 it was reorganized as a game in Kingdom of Italy. Today, three matches are played each year in Piazza Santa Croce in Florence in the 3rd week of June. A team from each quartiere of the city is represented:

Santa Croce / Azzurri (Blues)
Unathletic out of shape wastemen who are terrible at offense but through their sheer determination and willingness to sacrfice their bodies are able to give any team a struggle. Oh and whiners and spoil sports. A disgrace

Santa Maria Novella / Rossi (Reds)
Roided up cheaters. They are slightly better at scoring than the azzurri but they prefer to toss people out of the arena and waste the clock. They gas 1/3rd the way through every match. Last year's champions

(pic from Lone Goat's trip)

Santo Spirito / Bianchi (Whites)
A dynasty momentarily derailed. A complete team with some of the best offensive players in the game. Top down leadership and success in their veins.

San Giovanni / Verdi (Greens)
An all around solid team with offensive flair and long range sharpshooters. They are not afraid to get physical. They are a team with illustrious history and a deep respect for the Calcio tradition.

After playing each other in two opening games, the two winners go onto the final which occurs each year on June 24th.

Rules

The modern version of calcio allows tactics such as head-butting, punching, elbowing, and choking but sucker punches and kicks to the head are banned. The game is played on a field of sand with a narrow slit constituting the goal, running the width of each end. Each teams comprises 27 players who are allowed to use both feet and hands to pass and control the ball. Goals (or cacce) are scored by throwing the ball over into the netting at the end of the field. There is a main referee, six linesmen and a field master. Each match is played out for 50 minutes with the winner being the team with the most goals scored.

What essentially happens is the two teams line up and beat on each other. The team with the ball tries to preoccupy the other team by beating them down or taking them down to the point where a gap is created and the ball runner can go on a run towards goal. The goal is narrow and missing a shot on goal gives the opponents .5 points. Scoring a goal nets the shooting team 1 pt. Because of the penalty for missing, players try to get fairly close before shooting. When it comes to tackling a ball carrier anything goes including kicking his legs out from under him.

That's basically the rules but in actuality what happens is a big clusterfuck wherein a bunch of referees and assistants dressed like renaissance clowns run around calling things as they see fit.

(Respect this man's authority)

Players will break rules if they feel like they can get away with it and justice is arbitrarily dished out. However, players can and frequently do, get ejected for breaking the rules. This usually occurs after the most ferocious of hand gesturing. There seems to be a gentleman's agreement not to kick eachother's asses too bad, but I honestly have no real idea and people do get their rear end kicked.

The winners get a year of bragging rights.

When to watch
Semi-final Rossi vs Verdi - 6/15/ 12:30 pm est
Semi-final Bianchi vs Azurri - 6/16/ 12:30 pm est
Final TBA 6/24 12:30 pm est

Where to watch
The local Florentine channel that airs the games has a convenient HD web broadcast.
http://www.rtv38.com/wordpress/
(official website is working again this year) be wary of when you click on this because they air ads for strip clubs at night

Why you should watch

Italian amateur striking

Italian amateur grappling

More importantly- It's legitimately crazy, bizarre and entertaining.

Check this poo poo out of you want

A semi final from 2015. Probably the best game that year. End to end stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EioSnjSjq00

2017's amazing final
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQ9KXh4NXw

A short/decent primer piece by Vice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTPWcLmWvD0

A short documentary focusing on the lead up to the game. Not the greatest, but interesting none the less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XctCNiDICXo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Past yearly threads.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859506
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822901
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779401
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725616

Highlights

Offense

Defense

Tackling

Grappling

Striking

Expulsions

Friendship

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 12, 2019

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

2nd reserved post

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

This is something I look forward to every year. I want to photograph it so bad, it's my sogno di cassetto. Those photos are sooo good too.

I switch allegiances every year. I'm hoping Verdi do well this year.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
gently caress yes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh man, what a time to be alive.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

They should go back to giving the winning team a cow.

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
I've never heard of this before, but I've been searching for it my entire life.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mob posted:

winner, winner, nice beef dinner

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
più faville del maglio of the world's sickest culture. Absolutely raucous poo poo going down in the sublime city of pikes and crossbows. Thanks for making this thread.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Been looking forward to this since I got off the plane home from Florence last year, go Rossi!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Hell yes

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the real king of sports

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Porco dio it's that time again!

Santo Spirito è il numero uno :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Go greens

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Go Reds! Hope they got a good stack again this year

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Mob posted:

I feel like I usually see them leading a cow around during the pre-game portion where there's two thousand dudes wandering the field with a drum beat in the background.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I feel like I usually see them leading a cow around during the pre-game portion where there's two thousand dudes wandering the field with a drum beat in the background.

The cow is only symbolic now.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

I was just thinking about this foolish game and the forums have blessed me this day!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Calico Storico time, gently caress yeah!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Everyone remember to take off work on the 24th its a monday this year unfortunately.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
semper blue, will be good to see the boys back in action this year

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Seltzer posted:

Everyone remember to take off work on the 24th its a monday this year unfortunately.

gently caress yeah I am on vacation that week

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How do the teams get picked? Do they have local brawls in the quarters?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

è tornato

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Highlight section has been updated. Hopefully I'll be able to .gif a bit this year after missing last year.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

It's Christmas in June! Can't wait to see how big the Rossi hosses are this year, and excited to see how many minutes they will be able to run before collapsing to a wheezing mess.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Forza Rossi!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm watching that first YouTube video and they're being out a stretcher at like a minute into the game and NO ONE GIVES A gently caress AND CONTINUES PLAYING AROUND THEM.

I always thought it was bullshit like just an all out brawl, but it looks a lot more like ritual warfare.

loving fascinating.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Si si si si si!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm watching that first YouTube video and they're being out a stretcher at like a minute into the game and NO ONE GIVES A gently caress AND CONTINUES PLAYING AROUND THEM.

I always thought it was bullshit like just an all out brawl, but it looks a lot more like ritual warfare.

loving fascinating.

First time I saw someone use the medical crew as a blocker to set up a goal I started screaming and have never stopped. I love this dumbass sport so much.

Here's that street art I bought in Florence last year, framed

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Wasabi the J posted:

loving fascinating.

The game has been played for 500 years or so and is easily the craziest sport Ive ever seen.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

First time I saw someone use the medical crew as a blocker to set up a goal I started screaming and have never stopped. I love this dumbass sport so much.

Here's that street art I bought in Florence last year, framed

This is beautiful

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Soulex posted:

The game has been played for 500 years or so and is easily the craziest sport Ive ever seen.

That afghanistan goat carcass polo sounds up there but its not really televised

Wasabi the J posted:

As I tell friends when selling them on it, all sports are ritualized warfare

Calcio is just the least ritual

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So... in that gif above buddy is tapping to a strangle... what happens then? Is he eliminated? Does his opponent even need to let him go?

From what I'm seeing here I'm getting serious cricket vibes in which there are only like 5 rules in the actual game but then there's a gigantic laundry list of things that are technically not against the rules but which the sport's internal decorum has like 40 pages of poo poo which will cause a riot.

I'm watching the 2015 Verdi Rossi right now and the refs call a stoppage because a brawl broke out fuckin' lol.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommonShore posted:

So... in that gif above buddy is tapping to a strangle... what happens then? Is he eliminated? Does his opponent even need to let him go?

From what I'm seeing here I'm getting serious cricket vibes in which there are only like 5 rules in the actual game but then there's a gigantic laundry list of things that are technically not against the rules but which the sport's internal decorum has like 40 pages of poo poo which will cause a riot.

I'm watching the 2015 Verdi Rossi right now and the refs call a stoppage because a brawl broke out fuckin' lol.

As mentioned in the OP, a game was once called due to rioting by one of the teams

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

When one opponent gives up the other one just sits on him. It is kind of a gentleman's agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mulaney Power Move posted:

When one opponent gives up the other one just sits on him. It is kind of a gentleman's agreement.

And then how long do they stay there?