Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CommonShore posted:

And then how long do they stay there?

pretty much the rest of the match lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok now who are the guys in the arming doublets with the ostrich feather hats who are the colour of each team? They occasionally run out and tickle guys with their feathers. Does each team bring its own officials? Why does the green guy seem to only go and pay attention to the green players?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CommonShore posted:

Ok now who are the guys in the arming doublets with the ostrich feather hats who are the colour of each team? They occasionally run out and tickle guys with their feathers. Does each team bring its own officials? Why does the green guy seem to only go and pay attention to the green players?

Time stamp? It sounds like you are describing the refs who usually wear an assortment of all four colors

EDIT: Or the coaches

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 13, 2019

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Time stamp? It sounds like you are describing the refs who usually wear an assortment of all four colors

Do both coaches and refs tickle with feathers?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm phone posting now so no time stamp, but I'm talking bout the dudes whose jackets match their pants. Occasionally you'll see them run out and tickle someone with their hats, and it's always someone the same colour.

Could be coaches saying"let that dude up and get back in the game"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

CommonShore posted:

From what I'm seeing here I'm getting serious cricket vibes in which there are only like 5 rules in the actual game but then there's a gigantic laundry list of things that are technically not against the rules but which the sport's internal decorum has like 40 pages of poo poo which will cause a riot.
This is basically it yea. There are rules and unspoken rules. Double teaming and sucker punching are technically not allowed but they happen a lot (especially sucker punching). Once you've watched a couple games you start to get it and it starts making some sense. The craziest thing is there is zero protocol for tackling which is why you'll see people jumping karate kicking clotheslining etc. thats where a lot of the injury expulsions come from.

CommonShore posted:

So... in that gif above buddy is tapping to a strangle... what happens then? Is he eliminated? Does his opponent even need to let him go?
The ref will break it up. No one got eliminated, it was just to sap energy and demoralize his opponent.

This sums up the fighting part the best imo

quote:

there seems to be a gentleman's agreement not to kick eachother's asses too bad, but I honestly have no real idea and people do get their rear end kicked.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 13, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I'm phone posting now so no time stamp, but I'm talking bout the dudes whose jackets match their pants. Occasionally you'll see them run out and tickle someone with their hats, and it's always someone the same colour.

Could be coaches saying"let that dude up and get back in the game"

I defer to Seltzer because I have guesses but no actual idea

I think my favorite memory of this thread and Calcio is when we were all trying to figure out what was happening when Blue got expelled in 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

the best part was the lighting caused an optical illusion like that blue-black/white-gold meme, where it was hard to tell whether it was a blue player or white player that kicked the ref, to the point where the commentary team was getting it wrong

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

the best part was the lighting caused an optical illusion like that blue-black/white-gold meme, where it was hard to tell whether it was a blue player or white player that kicked the ref, to the point where the commentary team was getting it wrong

Yeah, in terms of being an entertaining sporting event it was awful but in building the mythology of how weird and incredible Calcio is its a top five moment for the sport

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've got some bad news for fellow Verdi fans. I was leafing through the gameday program from the final from last year that lonegoat graciously sent me along with a Rossi bracelet and Verdi t shirt and saw a troubling trend.

Verdi has only won the official tournament once in it's history ffs (once in the unofficial time period as well). That is despite being, by my count, in 11 finals...... The 96 victory was probably during the peak Lapi years which makes sense.

quote:

19 - Azzurri di Santa Croce
5 - Bianchi di Santo Spirito
4 - Rossi di Santa Maria Novella
1 - Verdi di San Giovanni

I'm pretty sure I saw this list years ago but forgot about it. Never gonna give up hope though. Forza Verdi

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Verdi is my favorite team because they seem to treat it the most like a "sport" and have actual identifiable players who can shoot but they always seem to be real poo poo at protecting them

What year was it their star scorer got hard tackled in the first five minutes and killed their chances? 2016?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Lone Goat posted:

The commentary is just awful. They spend most of their time apparently not watching what's going on, or knowing what's going on. Repeating ad nauseum that we're watching Calcio Fiorentino live from Santa Croce, and when they do actual commentary they just shout "CACCE CACCE CACCE" or they compare guys making runs through an entirely empty/injured field to famous NFL plays.

Still, can't wait for this, the greatest event of the year. Time for Bonfi's Bianchis to retake their throne.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I cannot even imagine what it must be like to actually understand Italian when watching this

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Do they air a replay of the games at any point? Or do I have to hope someone puts it on youtube if I miss the live games?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Takuan posted:

Do they air a replay of the games at any point? Or do I have to hope someone puts it on youtube if I miss the live games?

every game for the past few years has been put up on YouTube within a day or two. just look for "calcio storico [year] [team colour]" and it'll be there

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Verdi are the team instinct of Calcio Storico

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
If I wanted to go witness this lunacy in the flesh next year, how would I go about it? Tickets seem to be sold at random intervals, in a way that makes little-to-no sense.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Disgusting Coward posted:

If I wanted to go witness this lunacy in the flesh next year, how would I go about it? Tickets seem to be sold at random intervals, in a way that makes little-to-no sense.

Welcome to Italy!

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Seltzer posted:

Verdi has only won the official tournament once in it's history ffs (once in the unofficial time period as well). That is despite being, by my count, in 11 finals...... The 96 victory was probably during the peak Lapi years which makes sense.

I'm pretty sure I saw this list years ago but forgot about it. Never gonna give up hope though. Forza Verdi

If I know anything about sports and gambling, that just means they're due to win this year. That's how this works.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Disgusting Coward posted:

according to my friend that got our tickets last year, it involves getting a number from one of those dispensers at a butcher, and then standing in a line like this for hours on a hot summer day

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Verdi Fan Zone

As a life long Verdi fan I welcome all well intentioned newcomers to our tent.

Did you know the Greens won the first game of the modern reintroduction of Calcio Storico played in 1930? That's right they did. The Greens are a proud team with a storied history. They have fought to keep the Calcio tradition as pure as possible, protesting occasional attempts to soften the game. They are moral champions that embody the spirit of the sport.

Let's take a look at some golden age footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb4ENoLLLj8
Let the feelings of nostalgia wash over you. (very good video ^)

Let's also pay respect to past great Verdi great Gianluca Lapi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbPy-cgGa0

Verdi coach pre game speech
https://streamable.com/v2u9m

Tomorrow's match preview with interviews, any snippets of translation are welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaiE5SqR52c

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
yo btw we're all live watching this tomorrow in #mma on synirc.net http://cgiirc.synirc.net/

toss a link in the OP if you get a chance please

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Goddamn, its that time of the year again!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The traditional 45 mins of bad interviews and long shots of people smoking on their balconies/people slowly filing in has begun

e-

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 15, 2019

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

where can i watch this, the greatest of sporting events

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

rare Magic card l00k posted:

where can i watch this, the greatest of sporting events

http://www.rtv38.com/wordpress/

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am so happy my Sunday plans got pushed back so I can watch both semis. Calcio Storico is all the fun in the sun I need.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

inject this flag-throwing poo poo straight into my veins

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Are there any online merch sites?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

If the RTV 38 doesn't work for you for some reason, their FB page is also doing a live stream (not guaranteed to be synced with the page, so beware spoilers)

Bonus(?): twitch chat like commentary from the fiorentini on the page.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The FB feed is ahead yea. Scroll reader has appeared

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
Win or lose, I just hope they all have fun today

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Almost time, everybody waiting desperately for the scroll reader to gently caress off.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

PUT YOUR COLOURS UP

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
here we go verdi, here we go

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

someone needs to put the skinny kid on red with the headband in his place

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Of all the teams, which is the heel team? That's who I will cheer for.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

spb posted:

Of all the teams, which is the heel team? That's who I will cheer for.

Verdi haven't won since about a century, Rossi are the current champions. So probably Rossi.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

classic verdi running out the clock, just like last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Wake me up for tomorrow's match since this poo poo is gonna be a 1993 Dan Severn match.