Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

im pooping! posted:

i ruled at turtles in time but i dont think i ever managed to smash even one foot soldier into the boss, my friend always did it and he was truly great at it

There was a timing trick to it. If I remember right, you hit the foot soldier soldier once, then step in closer and hit again, that throws them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I miss real secrets in games, although they have had a comeback with the Shadow Warrior and Doom remakes. I was replaying Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and unlocked the remade level of the original game. I totally forgot that was a thing.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Now, I plug in my phone and it's charged. Kids these days don't know the struggle. Back in the days before fancy Lithium-ion-hybrid batteries and USB chargers, there was the original Game Boy and the Quest for AAs. With us kids at home one boring summer with 1 Game Boy, things were already tense without battery issues. Whether it was "borrowing" batteries from our little sister's toys, raiding the flashlight drawer, or walking 2+ miles to the dollar store that had cheapass offbrand 4-pack batteries (that died in a few hours, but who cares).

And the diplomatic negotiations over who "owned" which save slot...when you have 4 kids and a game with 3 save slots. And learning conflict de-escalation via my parents' policy of "if I have to break up ONE more fight over that Nintendo, then it's going away for a WEEK." My mother still regards all "Nintendo" games as wasting time and promoting violence. Not because of pixelated blood, but because from her perspective all we did was play video games, hover over each other, and then argue/fight over sharing (or lack thereof).

Being the family game champion cause I went to bed later than my brothers, letting me stay up and grind through Final Fantasy Legend III or practice my Super Mario Land levels...

Looking at the one copy of the Ultimate Game Hint Guide in the mall bookstore, hand-copying out how to find secrets in Legend of Zelda.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cobalt-60 posted:

Now, I plug in my phone and it's charged. Kids these days don't know the struggle. Back in the days before fancy Lithium-ion-hybrid batteries and USB chargers, there was the original Game Boy and the Quest for AAs. With us kids at home one boring summer with 1 Game Boy, things were already tense without battery issues. Whether it was "borrowing" batteries from our little sister's toys, raiding the flashlight drawer, or walking 2+ miles to the dollar store that had cheapass offbrand 4-pack batteries (that died in a few hours, but who cares).l

I had a game gear. The battery situation for that was a nightmare. I had an AC adapter but even those would burn out within months.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I was trying to remember the last time I played a game with a mechanic like “spam spacebar really fast to lift the beam off your leg” or “spin your analog sticks really fast to inflate the balloon”. Do any recent games still have stuff like that? I think the latest DBZ games might still have that when two kamehamehas meet. I absolutely hated it.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Jun 16, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm fine with beam struggles but what I really hated was that Dragon Rush bullshit from Budokai 3.

Yes, let's have an RNG mechanic in a fighting game. Genius. Brilliant.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Now, I plug in my phone and it's charged. Kids these days don't know the struggle. Back in the days before fancy Lithium-ion-hybrid batteries and USB chargers, there was the original Game Boy and the Quest for AAs. With us kids at home one boring summer with 1 Game Boy, things were already tense without battery issues. Whether it was "borrowing" batteries from our little sister's toys, raiding the flashlight drawer, or walking 2+ miles to the dollar store that had cheapass offbrand 4-pack batteries (that died in a few hours, but who cares).

And the diplomatic negotiations over who "owned" which save slot...when you have 4 kids and a game with 3 save slots. And learning conflict de-escalation via my parents' policy of "if I have to break up ONE more fight over that Nintendo, then it's going away for a WEEK." My mother still regards all "Nintendo" games as wasting time and promoting violence. Not because of pixelated blood, but because from her perspective all we did was play video games, hover over each other, and then argue/fight over sharing (or lack thereof).

Being the family game champion cause I went to bed later than my brothers, letting me stay up and grind through Final Fantasy Legend III or practice my Super Mario Land levels...

Looking at the one copy of the Ultimate Game Hint Guide in the mall bookstore, hand-copying out how to find secrets in Legend of Zelda.

I have to be honest with you, I have enough problems with the Playstations USB chargers loving up that I really miss beimg able to just change the batteries out and you're done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I have to be honest with you, I have enough problems with the Playstations USB chargers loving up that I really miss beimg able to just change the batteries out and you're done.

Oh my god yeah, I replace controllers on a nearly yearly basis because they stop charging. Sometimes I’m lucky enough to find some weird arbitrary charger they’ll work with for a while but it’s a major problem. Just let me have wired controllers again dammit.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh my god yeah, I replace controllers on a nearly yearly basis because they stop charging. Sometimes I’m lucky enough to find some weird arbitrary charger they’ll work with for a while but it’s a major problem. Just let me have wired controllers again dammit.

The batteries aren't super difficult to replace. I think my new one came in at just under $30. Six screws and one fiddly little connector, IIRC.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

madeintaipei posted:

The batteries aren't super difficult to replace. I think my new one came in at just under $30. Six screws and one fiddly little connector, IIRC.

I think it’s the actual USB connector coming loose, the battery capacity is a bit low but that’s typically not the issue.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

madeintaipei posted:

Ehhhhh, I have done this once on my PS4 controller. One has messed up analog sticks, the other a messed up battery, so you do the math.

It's not the screws and fiddly connector...it's those loving triggers and the little springs. I spent a LONG time having to search for one on my floor because it went flying off when I pulled apart the controller. And then getting them back in the right spot, and angling the controller halves together to get it to piece together but not have those loving springs fall out.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my life improved drastically when I bought a big see-through plastic tub from walmart, bored holes in the side with a soldering iron for my arms and just flip it upside down and use that as a containment cube any time I have to take apart something with springs

if it's a little hard to see through you can also carve a window in the side and fit glass from a dollarama picture frame into said hole

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was trying to remember the last time I played a game with a mechanic like “spam spacebar really fast to lift the beam off your leg” or “spin your analog sticks really fast to inflate the balloon”. Do any recent games still have stuff like that? I think the latest DBZ games might still have that when two kamehamehas meet. I absolutely hated it.

Red Dead Redemption 2 has a few instances if that iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

System Metternich posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 has a few instances if that iirc

It also has “mash button to sprint”, which is another control practice that died alone a long long time ago.