Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017

Choice Quote: "After having looked at all the gods, I have only this to say: Lol:" -- Jonjoe

Hello everyone! Welcome to another Dominions 5 LP! I am Highwayleopard, and as you might have gathered from the title, I am a new player to this game. Hell, everyone in this game is. This is because this is one of the rare and fabled new player only games.

Unlike in Ramc's excellent, amazing LP that you should read (and will be linked later in this post), where you had titanic battles between massive armies, amazing strategies, deadly spell combinations and scripting and terrifying global enchantments, in this game you will find none of that. People will die to independent armies, people will sit around doing nothing because they're too scared to try, or people will just form endless non aggression pacts.

Okay, maybe not that bad. We have a mix of experience. Some of the players have a few games of dominions under their belt and just have never won a game; there is no shame in that, considering games can have 12 players at times. Odds are never in your favour to win, here!

Me? This is my third game of dominions, technically. And by that I mean, it is concurrent with my first two. So I am perhaps the newest player here.

But what -is- Dominions, said no one reading this thread?

Well, I'm glad you asked!

Dominions is a strange beast where you mash mythological pixel men together in glorious combat. I describe it as a mythological take on risk, with Dwarf Fortress inspired UI and incomprehensible game rules, with a dash of total war. It's one hell of a thing, a mix of spaghetti code that the devs don't fully understand, that also lets you pit nerdy old men in an arena against 20 foot tall giants. And sometimes the old man wins.

The rules of the thread:

1. Players within will be posting their perspectives at times, but please, no spoilers if you are in the game!
2. We're all new(ish) players here. We love constructive criticism. Don't be a dick, though, please!

The true Dominions experience

LINKS:
Ramc's Amazing LP!
Gemstallnacht by Baudin (and later Ramc)
Mo Money, Mo Problems by How are u
The Dominions 5 general thread!

LANKA TURNS:
Turns 1-3
Turn 4
Turn 5
Turn 6
Turn 7
Turn 8
Turn 9
Turn 10
Turn 11
Turn 12
Turn 13
Turn 14
Turn 15
Turn 16
Turn 17
Turn 18 (and arena battle!)
Turn 19
Turn 20
Turn 21
Turn 22
Turn 23
Turn 24
Turn 25
Turn 26

FOMORIA TURNS:
Turn 3
Turn 4
Turn 5
Turn 6
Turn 7
Turn 8
Turn 9
Turn 10
Turn 11
Turn 12
Turn 13
Turn 14
Turn 15
Turn 16
Turn 17
Turn 18
Turn 19
Turn 20
Turn 21
Turn 22
Turn 23

ARCOSCEPHALE TURNS:
Turns 1-4
Turn 5
Turn 6
Turn 7
Turn 8
Turn 9
Turn 10
Turn 11
Turn 12
Turn 13
Turn 14
Turn 15
Turn 16
Turn 17
Turn 18
Turn 19
Turn 20
Turn 21
Turn 22
Turn 23
Turn 24
Turn 25
Turn 26

NATION OVERVIEWS:
Lanka (and Pretender!)
Mictlan
Niefelheim
Pangaea
Sauromatia
Ur
Arcoscephale

RAMC'S JUDGEMENT OF THE GODS:
Niefelheim's God: Hagen-Daz
Pangaea's God: The Disney Channel Afternoon
Mictlan's God: Admiralty Court Argument
Arcoscephale's God: Snakes on an Inclined Plane
Lanka's God: furious the monkey boy
Fomoria's God: your local public transit system
Sauromatia's God: Miia the 23-Foot Long Body Pillow
Ur's God: Biggs - Lord of Mustaches
Abysia's God: Alienware

Highwayleopard fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
NEWBAD 2

Bandar Log:
Turn 1 and Pretender Overview
Turn 2

Ulm:
Turn 1 and Pretender/Nation Overview

Pangaea:

Jotunheim:

Agartha:

Arcoscephale:
Pretender/Nation Overview
Turn 1 and 2

Caelum:

Mictlan:

T'ien Ch'i:

Ys:

Ur:

Highwayleopard fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 10, 2019

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
Nation Overview: Lanka and my Pretender!

I figured before I get to the meat and bones of the game, I'd run you all down on the nation I am playing as, for those unaware, and tell you about the glorious God that my people worship. There are many other gods like him, but he is mine.

As you can imagine, these choices define how your game is going to go. Choosing your nation is obvious when it comes to the impact that it will have, but your god really defines how you are going to play. An awake expander style of god, where the deity is a big bad monster that takes over provinces by itself, is going to be far more aggressive and wanting to assert itself early, as such a chassis usually falls away when the expansion phase is done.

Conversely, a god who is imprisoned or dormant that focuses on blessings is more about powering up some select elite troops, or a pretender who is more focused on scales is about the economy. There are many, many ways to play Dominions, is the short of it. Which is why I chose poorly!

This is Furious the Monkey Boy, my pretender. See, that quote from Jonjoe above about terrible gods? He said only two were good. One was clearly copied from somewhere or they had been given advice, and the other was new and unique and he'd borrow. I know mine is from the former category, but I don't know if it was a lol as well. I'd looked mine up on various guides because, frankly? Pretender design is one of the most daunting parts of this game. One mistake here, and you're -ruined-.

Furious is what is called a rainbow pretender. It takes a weak, basic wizard chassis, of which there are many, and uses it's ability to take many paths cheaply to break into pretty much every form of magic, for a mixed and varied bless and the ability to later find sites and get into paths that your base nation would struggle with. In Furious' case, it's mostly for the bless. Lanka has some amazing Sacred troops and summons, meaning that they can be buffed up with all of those snazzy properties listed.

As for the scales, I took turmoil as Lanka gets bonuses in that to blood hunting and some of their units get buffed by it, sloth 1 because I needed the points and we don't wear much armour anyway, heat 3 because lanka already have a heat bias, so more points, growth 3 because growth is best and it helps counter our blood hunting, luck 3 because I wanted to try it out and, hell, I had the points and magic 3 because our researchers are expensive so they need to be good.

As for Lanka, well!

This sums it up. Lanka is an interesting nation. It is a late game nation, to be sure. It has many powerful, varied summons and good blood access, which makes it potent the longer the game goes on. It's troops, however, are terrible. I will be going into detail about many of them later on during my turn posts, but to some it up, most of their troops lack armour. If they have armour, they lack helmets. Their sacreds are great, strong monkey-demon-ogres, but are expensive as hell and aren't the toughest defensively. Their mages all have blood access but can be very pricey as well, which is not great when you are a nation that thrives in turmoil. Late game, though? Our national summons are amazing and varied. Our blood access is probably one of the best in the Early Age. We also have the ability to animate undead with our priests, which is not something I would do much of, but is still a flexible tool.

In short? We're going to suffer early game. Expansion will be difficult. But if we can carve our a niche and last till late, we are in for a shot!

TURN 3 (and a turn 1 and 2 recap!)

Welcome, welcome, to the story of Lanka!

Lanka the ever prosperous! Lanka the beautiful! Lanka, the land of the Monkey's Republic!

None of that is propaganda.

So, as you can see, we're starting on turn 3. This is because I only thought of LPing after we breezed through the first two turns. Sorry! This is okay, though, as turns 1 and 2 of a dominions game are short and uninteresting.

This is what you missed:

On turn 1, we named our prophet, Dian Fossey, who was our starting Bandar Commander. We gave her the troops we had, which was a swarm of Makarta Archers and group of Atavi Infantry. These are terrible. We recruited more Atavi for Dian to lead, seeing how they are cheap as chips, and set them all to throw their rocks at people. We also recruited a Raktapata, our basic blood 1 priest, to lead some demons when we made them in later turns, and to start our research. Finally, we put in a minimum bid on some sword mercenaries. Why not try, right?

Turn 2 had us set up for our first expansion. Somehow, we got the mercenaries. I guess noobs don't check the mercenaries tab, or everyone assumed someone else would bid higher! This was actually great for me. If this didn't happen, our expansion would be even slower than normal. We sent out Dian and the Mercenaries to two neighbouring provinces (the result of which you will see in the actual turn post in a moment), created more Atavi and another commander to lead them, along with another scout.

So, now we are up to turn 3 proper!

The sad thing is, due to the fact that I missed the first turns, is that I do not have a log of the other prophets names, bar the two named this turn. :sad:

Ah yes, collectables.

Disney, patron of LIARS

Anyway, we had two battles as well! Exciting! Our first was in Betane, to our capital's south, where we fought some amazons!

scary, amoral bow ladies

Amazons are actually kind of scary, which is why we sent our mercenaries to handle it. This is why I said we'd be screwed without them; the amazon archers would mess up our unarmoured monkeys.

brave mercenaries fighting for a noble cause for minimal wage

Thankfully, our brave volunteer forces managed to defeat these barbarians.

Meanwhile, in the cave system known as the Cold Hollows, Dian Fossey came forth to spread the Light of Lanka!

We also managed to beat the resident pale ones here.

Pale ones aren't particularly great, and are kind of similar to monkeys in many ways. What is interesting is that they're amphibious. This is great for pushing for a beachhead in the water! Something I was very excited about until I realised that I could just, y'know. Summon undead. Therefore, I wasted a turn recruiting two pale ones. Oh well.

Now, we had some events!

In the Cold Hollows, we had some spring floods tragically destroy stockpiles of the Pale On-- I mean, our gold. Shame!

Whilst in Lanka, children are disappearing! Monkey children? Does that mean Makarta? Or are we the strange, baby snatching creatures? What's this, though? A hero appeared at Lanka?! This can't be related at all!

Why yes, it's Bapu! Lore dump! Excitement!

My people call me Bapu, but please, call me SPITE HATRED NECROMANCER PRIEST

Bapu here is a nice monkey man with no flaws or horrible past whatsoever. First, I rename him appropriately:

Ignore the capital S, f12 makes a capital S in Dominions for.. Some reason. :iiam:

So, for the rest of time, Mohandas will be doing what he does best: Passive-Aggressively raising undead.

As you can see, I am a terrible noob who chose the wrong kind of undead that requires corpses. Whoops. Fixed next turn!

The overview! As you can see, we're continuing to expand. The Betane mercs are moving northeast, whilst Dian Fossey marches into Khaz Hador. We're researching Conjuration due to some nice national summons, whilst we slowly send our scout out towards the nearby throne. Aloka is getting some more trash as well before he moves out! Oh, and that great hero is just our mercenary, trying to jack up his prices for the future. We won't even bother looking.

Last two things, though, for this first turn post!

The pretenders of the world! We have some decent names on the list. We can also see the nations of the world, too! We'll go into detail as we encounter them!

Lastly, we have a ~UNIT FOCUS~. That's right, I'm going to highlight a specific unit I used a lot or recruited this turn so I can point out their strengths and weaknesses.

This is the Atavi Infantry, the unit I have been spamming. The reason why? Cheap! They are really cheap as hell, and that's probably the only good thing about them. They have no armour. Their stats are average to terrible, with only a buckler for protection. They have sticks and stones which are double shot throwing weapons with low damage so.. Yay? Legitimately, they're only good as a meatshield or a cheap early mob. Since we were so low on resources and gold, I pumped out some. I honestly pumped out too much. They are stealthy, though, as are their commanders, so they can be used to raid, though. They have an archer version which have shortbows. They are equally as easy to mass, and can be somewhat legitimate if you buff them up with various spells.

Highwayleopard fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 5, 2019

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Hello. I'm Biggs, Lord of Mustaches.

You'll see me eventually. This is my very first game of Dominions multiplayer. I'm playing Ur, a race of horned semi-giants.

This turn has me suicide my starting army on a bunch of necromancers just east of my starting site. The game only can get better from here.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Mictlan! Nation of blood and... more blood. And also some blood.

So in this game I'm bringing EA Mictlan, ruled by the glorious pretender Admiralty Court Argument.

Mictlan is a lovely nation. They have reasonably cheap sacreds that fly when blessed, as well as two other varieties of sacreds, one armored and one with sticks and a fursuit. The latter isn't cap only, which means they can recruit a solid whack of them eventually, making them a decent choice for a bless nation(which is what I went for). Their main downside is that their dominion doesn't just stay up and slowly expand via temples, instead you need to actively spread it via blood sacrifice. However, with a relatively cheap Mictlan-only item, one of your cap-only casters can do the work of five temples each turn, which means that Mictlan is one of those nations that's actually a threat in terms of choking other nations with their dominion alone.

Of course, this presupposes you're not a moron like me.

I decided to bless with Blood Vengeance and Heat Aura. Blood Vengeance so mages would explode themselves against my sacreds, and heat aura so my sacreds could swarm enemy big dudes and make them tape out from heat stroke before getting sliced and diced. Don't ask me what I was loving thinking with the scales, though, previously I'd been playing MA Asphodel in another game, which is a nation that's very gems reliant, and not very gold reliant, meaning you can tank certain scales in favour of luck which tends to have windfalls like...

Screenshots from the Asphodel game, not this one. Note that the Robe of the Magi is a loving sweet piece of kit that gives +1 to all magic paths for the wearer.

As Mictlan, though, I'd have been better served by, say, a Growth 3, an Order 3 or a Production 3 so I could crank out more standard units for money.

Since I haven't been religiously taking screenshots, I probably won't be commenting much here, in part for a simple reason that's prevented me from being a big contender thus far in the game.

As of the current turn I've managed to... send off a handful of sacreds with a priest alone because I hadn't noticed the other commanders lacked the movement to follow, I've also sent off a handful of sacreds with a normal commander and no priest to bless them, and then I repeated the first one again.

It's slowed me down a bit.

Also my first prophet was I DO NOT CONSENT TO JOINDER and after one of my, uh, tactically unwise idiot attacks(as noted above) got him killed he was replaced by FREEMAN ON THE LAND.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

PurpleXVI posted:

Screenshots from the Asphodel game, not this one. Note that the Robe of the Magi is a loving sweet piece of kit that gives +1 to all magic paths for the wearer.

I took luck 3 in that game why couldn't I get the magi robes damnit! That would have saved my underwater throne!

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 11, 2019

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
Niefelheim. Nation of Ice and Giants.

Hello, I'm playing as EA Niefelheim because giants with ice and death magic sounds cool. This is also my very first multiplayer dominions game!

Niefelheim is one of my favorites to play in SP because giants wielding huge axes and swords sounded badass and they also get nifty troops that can transform into werewolves if wounded too much. Also giant forts can be a pain in the rear end to siege down along with militia inside it who are also big and good at repairing walls. The mages (old hags) are expensive and.... old but I figure I can work around that with good expansion and working around my economy. They also are a blood nation which can be tricky and needs to be carried out carefully due to many reasons but blood spells are good and worth the micromanagement in my opinion.

And here is my awful super awesome Pretender God! He's a big tanky boi wielding a magic sword made of ice. Onto his bless, I figured in MP mind hunts and astral spells would be a lot more common so threw on plenty of magic resistance along with blood surge and regeneration. Giants with regen are TOUGH because it heals 10% of the total HP pool regardless of their current damage. Frost weapons because... well I'm playing a race of ice giants and withering because I just really wanted a PG with a lot of death magic once he gets released from jail and don't find other death blesses that interesting or fun.

Up until turn 3 I haven't done much. Just scouted out some indies and slowly expanded my territory.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

(nations)
So... nobody in Dominions is nice are they?

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
Nice pretenders finish last, you know.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've read my share of Dominions 3 and 4 LPs, so I'm mostly familiar with the game mechanics, but what is the sword icon on the battle results screen? I don't seem to remember that being in earlier versions.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Spoggerific posted:

I've read my share of Dominions 3 and 4 LPs, so I'm mostly familiar with the game mechanics, but what is the sword icon on the battle results screen? I don't seem to remember that being in earlier versions.

Kills those units got

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Highwayleopard posted:

The sad thing is, due to the fact that I missed the first turns, is that I do not have a log of the other prophets names, bar the two named this turn.

Don't worry I got you, at least for the ones on the first turn:

GrabbinPeels fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 11, 2019

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

GrabbinPeels posted:

Don't worry I got you, at least for the ones on the first turn:

I love that your local public transit system is the "Herder of Men" :3:

Arcosephale's and Ur's naming gimmicks are great as well and I hope they continue.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

Turn 3 - Fomoria

poo poo gently caress goddamn it

rip A 7000 SERIES TRAIN turn 1-turn 3 it feels like just last turn that i made you my prophet because it was

the Formorian armies are made primarily of tiny weak humans but more importantly larger and larger goats

alright let's review the tapes. we met the indie heavy cav in combat... wait, heavy cav?

Hmm, these guys... kinda rule? what am I working with here

Alright so from what I can tell, combat works like this: each unit is rolling its attacks against the other unit. Attacker rolls... something and adds their Attack Skill. Defender rolls the same die and adds their Defense skill. If the attack has a higher number they hit, attacker adds their strength to their weapon damage (?) and a roll is involved somewhere, defender reduces that damage by their protection and also a roll, depending where on their body they were hit.

so their dudes have massive spears, move fast as hell and have high defense and protection, meanwhile my ranged troops are throwing rocks at them. great.

at least my line troops have shields, I guess. SPOILER ALERT i am barely ever going to recruit these guys on purpose. i have no idea if I should or not. i know chaff (lovely dudes you throw in front of the dudes you actually care about to slow down the enemy) serves its uses and ends up being not super expensive, I should probably be better about that in retrospect

ANYWAY this is who you're here for - goat headed men. these guys loving rule, and they're Sacreds, which means that when A 7000 SERIES TRAIN starts popping off blessings they're going to go from big strong sacks of hp to big strong endlessly regenerating sacks of HP but I'll get into that after

RIP

with the commander dead everybody else scatters to the four winds or gets run down by big-rear end knights

ANYWAY x2 the reason we're really all here is for your local public transit system, herder of men. while leopard went for a Rainbow guy with a bunch of fancy paths and abilities, your public transit system is here for one thing, and that's to run over indies like it's his loving job (because it is)

this is the cornerstone of my general strategic vision, which involves a) throwing a lot of giants at people, which have a poo poo ton of HP and b) making that HP regen every turn so that they have even more of it. his other bless effect reduces fatigue every round more than normal, which is good for fighting longer and not dying because your goat men are frozen at max fatigue in the middle of lovely indies who plink them down with bronze daggers and their fists while you curse existence

yeah see this is what i'm talking about

the province to the right of my capital with the crossed swords is where A 7000 SERIES TRAIN and all of his forces were brutally murdered by knights

alright so here's what I know about research: you need that high level magic to win, and also each mage you can recruit comes with a Research Score that gets added to the Research speed as long as they're sitting on a province with a Lab and you tell them to Research. I'm gonna beeline for Construction 2 because then I can make some Quills to make my researchers do it faster

hmmm

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
poo poo, at this rate, you should be running the LP, you're doing a far better job than I am!

I can at least sympathise with you when it comes to your lovely units throwing rocks at people, though.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

We're basically on different sides of the globe, so we should be able to cover most things of consequence between us.

i also made my dude from a guide i have no idea what i'm doing

I'm another one of the completely rank newbies, this was my first game as well. If Ramc isn't getting residual checks from Illwinter then he should be.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GrabbinPeels posted:

We're basically on different sides of the globe, so we should be able to cover most things of consequence between us.

i also made my dude from a guide i have no idea what i'm doing

I'm another one of the completely rank newbies, this was my first game as well. If Ramc isn't getting residual checks from Illwinter then he should be.

Keep in mind that Illwinter is literally two guys in an igloo in Sweden, so even if they did send out checks or something it would be in the form of, I don't know, swedish meatballs or nobel prizes or something.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sullat posted:

Keep in mind that Illwinter is literally two guys in an igloo in Sweden, so even if they did send out checks or something it would be in the form of, I don't know, swedish meatballs or nobel prizes or something.

tfw you receive a royalty check for $0.00 with 3 paragraphs of lore in the memo field

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

GrabbinPeels posted:

at least my line troops have shields, I guess. SPOILER ALERT i am barely ever going to recruit these guys on purpose. i have no idea if I should or not. i know chaff (lovely dudes you throw in front of the dudes you actually care about to slow down the enemy) serves its uses and ends up being not super expensive, I should probably be better about that in retrospect

I'm not sure if expensive half elfs with superhuman stats count as chaff.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I don't think I have a frame of reference for what makes a unit expensive. Or uh... useful? I guess I definitely should have recruited more of those dudes whoops.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Hey now, there are nice nations, in the early era there's Ur, where a bunch of ape-men have decided that building cities is the best thing ever and become babylonians instead. Tien Ch'i is basically just a bunch of ordinary ancient chinese states but with actual magic. Machanka is west africa led by virtuous heroes, Caelum is also pretty okay, a bunch of pseudozoroastrians with wings. Tir Na Og is a bunch of isolated elves who spend all their time writing songs and poetry if they aren't getting real pissed at the formorians. Kailasa is like Lanka but replace horrible demons with wise gods of justice. Pelagia is a nation of friendly mer-people and Oceania is a nation of slightly less friendly but overall alright merpeople.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, there's also Agartha, which is home to a bunch of pale ones who just want people to not blow open the horrible doom seal. Rus where half-angels and regular humans live peacefully and Atlantis, which is not evil but sort of creepy anyway.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

That's just assholist. So much for the tolerant mortals.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Very... VERY few nations could be considered nice...especially in EA which is titanic monster nations punching each other.

MA is the nice age even with the skeleton apocalypse going on

LA is also assholes, and ghost apoc... and Cthulhu apoc... lots of apoc in LA

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I dunno if I'd say very few, even in EA, like I said, disregarding the ones that are fairly neutral (I'd consider any nation that doesn't use blood magic neutral, really.), there's still Rus, Machanka, Pelagia, Ur and Agartha as EA nations that are nice.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The nations themselves might have been nice enough until these asehole pretenders woke up, but as soon as the previous pantokrator gets eaten its a race to the bottom in short order. Only there is no bottom really, its depravity and devastation all the way down.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NewMars posted:

I dunno if I'd say very few, even in EA, like I said, disregarding the ones that are fairly neutral (I'd consider any nation that doesn't use blood magic neutral, really.), there's still Rus, Machanka, Pelagia, Ur and Agartha as EA nations that are nice.

Yeah, EA has a certain amount of "pure and uncorrupted golden age of antiquity" going on for some nations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the whole lore of rus is about how everyone hates and distrusts eachother based on if they cook meat or eat it raw

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Giants of Mekone just have anger management problems that get progressively worse.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pangaea here. This is my first multiplayer Dominions game (any my first Dominions game since 3) so you can probably guess I made a ton of mistakes. I'll talk about most of them when it becomes relevant (and it will), but first I'd like to share a brief overview of my nation and pretender.

First, an overview of Pangaea:

Pangaea is a nation of animal-people that live in forests and just want to have drunken orgies all day. They get some pretty decent normal troops in their centaurs, but everything is fairly expensive. Also their forts are more expensive than other nations', but that's balanced out by the ability to summon Bramble Forts in forests and shallow seas for 35 nature gems (which they get a ton of). Also, their temples and labs are cheaper in forest provinces.

Pan is also a 'freespawn' nation, in that it can generate free units every turn. In our case, Pans (our best battle mage) generate maenads each turn, getting more in provinces with high turmoil. Of course, high turmoil means that you don't have as good of an economy as normal, so you can afford fewer of your good troops.

Next, my pretender:

I intentionally chose an awake SC (super combatant) to help me expand. One of the big mistakes you can see is my scales. I really shouldn't have gone Turmoil 3, as that left me with barely enough cash to buy troops each turn (and none for buildings), and probably could have gone heat/cold for magic, making my expensive researchers better.

e: removed some inaccurate information

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 11, 2019

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
This thread is great.

quote:

Attacker rolls... something and adds their Attack Skill

The 'something' used for most rolls is 2d6, two six-sided dice, but with a mechanic where rolls of six 'explode' (i.e. if you roll a six you add five and roll again and add the new roll - and this secondary roll can explode again). If the game rolls multiple sixes in a row you can see fairly unlikely results.

It's detailed more in the manual on page 11, which also has a table of difference in stats to probability of winning a roll.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Joining in as another one of the hapless newbies suckered in by Ramc. It's also my first multiplayer Dominions game and I'm playing:

Sauromatia, Amazon Queens

Think a steppe horde that sometimes rides lizards instead of horses and you've pretty much got Sauromatia. They have some really strong points with strong tough, and sacred lizard riders; a solid mage cadre with the potential for very high death and solid blood and nature access; a useful system of tatoos that give huge defensive buffs to almost every unit; and, of course, the hydras that I wish were sacred soooooo badly. Other than some of the mages and the hydras, all of their important units are mounted which is a mixed bag. It gives them very high movement, which is incredibly useful for jumping provinces or surprise attacking, but also makes them expensive in gold, resources, and recruitment points. The other main issues are that their sacred units and hydras are limited to capital recruitment only, and that their actual access to blood is mostly reliant on the RNG. Overall though, they're a nation that I've been having a blast with.

To lead the nation, here is my mess of a pretender.

The Mother of Monsters is a titan who can randomly give birth to monstrous units and has a poison cloud that will definitely kill any blood slaves she has long before she can actually cast with them (not that I'd know from experience or anything). While her paths could have (and probably should have) been higher, they're still high enough that she could boost her way up to cast any of the main spells I wanted to without too much investment.

For the bless, I knew I needed poison res so my hydras, pretender, and foul vapors casts didn't kill all of my sacreds, blood surge because it's a strong buff that the sacreds can easily proc on the charge and then use to fight the rest of the army, and withering weapons because I needed a weapon bless for a dumb future strategy that probably won't work.

I knew I'd need decent scales to afford many units, but I definitely went overboard on them. I'd typically have all of the resources and gold I could need but would still be dramatically limited by recruitment points. Funnily enough, my unnecessarily high dominion actually will come in handy due to my neighbors, but I definitely could have tanked it and some other scales a bit more to get a more useful bless.

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
Welcome to Turn 4!

Where nothing interesting happens and I totally didn't pick soulless instead of longdead meaning that my friendly neighbourhood Gandhi totally wasn't wasting his turn. Ahem.

The turn report itself! As we can see, two really late prophets were named!

AND AS WE CAN SEE, ONE OF THEM IS EXTREMELY SHAMEFUL! Shaaaame!

Anyway, two battles! In Khaz Hador, Dian Fossey encountered some lost lambs living in the desert.

As you can see, they were promptly ritually murdered and sacrificed in the name of our god!

Whilst in Amiridon, brave, brave Sir Gulfre, hero of the people, led a brilliant, awesome assault against the massive, varied defenders of that province.

Bless him, a true believer.

Our entirely ethically correct slaughter of the people of Khaz Hador revealed a site to us, however!

Two gems a turn is nice enough, really, especially early. Sadly, it's in paths that we don't really have, but at the very least, we can alchemise this if need be.

So, the overview! We've changed Gandhi's priorities to focus on bonier dudes rather than merely those who played this game for too long. Our heroic, holy mercenary band are going to bravely slaughter the barbarians to the north. .. Well, more likely they'll die trying but I didn't want to pay for them next month, so. Speaking of suicidal things, we're sending a brave, lone Makarta to 'ping' the throne next to us, in the east. He is set to run away, but you never know! In the south, Dian Fossey is leading her gorrilas into the mists of the Last Step Swamp. It has Woodsmen and Vinemen. I am always nervous about these provinces, as they can have some nasty big monsters and mages. I don't think this is the case with this one, but I'm still worried.

Finally, I'm marching a horde of Atavi out from the capital and into the ~MIRE OF :iiam:~ where some tribals are going to have a rock throwing contest against us in a perfectly organised fashion. To tell you the truth, I don't know if this will work, and I should probably be scripting them better to bash them over the head instead. Oh well, whoever rocks the hardest, wins.

Lastly, in political news, Sauromatia said g'day. They could see my flag in the Cold Hollows.

They staked their claim to two provinces that I wasn't really going to be able to contest when it came to claiming them, and they agreed to a NAP for the rest of the first year. I'll be honest? I wouldn't have done that if I was him. See, Sauromatia has some extremely nasty sacreds. With the right bless, they could probably kill everything in my nation. It will take a bit for me to formulate proper counters, so the more time I have, the better.

To this end, I am, at the very least, starting recruitment on my best boy sacreds, the Palankashas, which I will cover next turn! They are, however, hopefully tanky enough that they'll at least put up a fight if it comes down to it. Plus, they're great for expanding.

UNIT FOCUS TIME!

Raktapatas are our cheapest mages, and therefore, generally speaking, our best, massable researchers. They are also our blood hunters, meaning that these guys are going to be recruited a lot. After all, what's more important to Lanka than poor innocent victims to butcher to summon demonic powers and entities? With our bless, they can also lead hordes of undead and demons, which makes them useful early for expansion, even if they are not gifted leaders themselves. All in all, they are a boring but integral part of the nation, a key cog in the monkey machine.

Highwayleopard fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 12, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I feel like we really ended up with an exceptional amount of blood(as in blood magic) in this game.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
No kidding. The majority of players had at least solid access to blood, even if it isn't their main strategy.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
hello please aid me in reading this thread by not posting every thing as a timg. thank you in advance

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017

violent sex idiot posted:

hello please aid me in reading this thread by not posting every thing as a timg. thank you in advance

Do not worry it has been fixed.

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like we really ended up with an exceptional amount of blood(as in blood magic) in this game.

OOrochi posted:

No kidding. The majority of players had at least solid access to blood, even if it isn't their main strategy.

Yeah, isn't it grand that us total noobs all have access to the easiest magic in the game?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Ur

See that river, just to the south? Welcome to Ur! On this turn I think I had a scout hiding out with those horses on the road, and sent a message to our monkey friends... except I screwed up and sent it to Abyssia instead, because I flipped the colors in my head when I went to send a message.

Ur is the home of horned half giants. Lore-wise Ur is one of the "least bad" early age nations - no blood magic, not a lot of death magic. We're just a bunch of nomadic people that decided "hey, let's make a really kickin' rad city and be ancient Babylon" and then did. Ur is big on Nature magic, but we'll also see a lot of Water, Earth, and Air thrown in for good measure. Basically every mage I've got is sacred in some way. We've also got this sacred proto-dragon (that I never recruit) and some sacred temple warriors clad in Bronze.

Being half-giants, all my dude-mans are bigger than your normal human. On the plus, they are naturally better than a normal human, but on the negative, I can't mass them quite as effectively.

Anyways, I heard magic was good so let's do some MAGIC. Biggs - Lord of Mustaches, Lord of Rock and other less cool names, is an Enkidu (Ur's half-giant race) Sage that decided he was too cool for school. Basically he figured out how to live forever, and decided with the old god dead it only made sense for him to push for glory! My beautiful boy is a Rainbow Mage, giving me access to magical paths I wouldn't otherwise have, and more importantly being set up to cast some pretty good national summons.

But Biggs has a bigger bonus that I wanted to test out. Awake right out of the gate, he has a really good research skill (45 book icon) and boosts the research of anyone hanging out with him (+1 each). The plan is as follows - park him on the capital and just pump out research to be the BEST AT MAGIC. For a good bit this game I succeeded.

Blessings

I've got basically all sacred mages, right? Well, then they're going to want to be able to keep casting, so we're taking 2x Reinvigoration, which restores stamina which they are using to spam their highly researched spells. For expansions and figthin', we're taking Swiftness so that our sacreds can sprint around the battle field and maybe flank things while the non-sacred shmucks melee it up. Magic Weapons was because I was playing a test game of single player and got an entire army mulched by spectral enemies and didn't want it to happen again. Minor Shock Resist was because I had 1 point left over!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
One thing about dom 5 is that a lot of nations have national events based on their mythology. Like the Spartan giants will go out and murder human helots as part of a their annual festivities. Ur needs to have a ladymage and a dudemage in their capital each spring so they can do some sacred boning, otherwise people get upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Ur is the best because they're a nation of people whose whole thing is "lets build cities and not be crazy." Versus their neighbors who they actually learned this stuff from, who are the most evil nation in the game and that is saying something.