Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
You'll have plenty of other bads like myself to play with around this time, yeah! Hop in the discord like the rest of us, I'm getting a lot of help there and people are mostly nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

could we get a rundown from good players on the more egregious mistakes people have been making and why they're mistakes?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What turn is this game on? Is it already finished? Going by how many players are posting their own screenshots, I imagine this is still going on, and those posting in here are still in the game.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Am having a hearty laugh at all this flailing.
But especially niefelheim; you don't pay someone for taking out their main strength, you invade or extort them, c'mon son.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

uguu posted:

Am having a hearty laugh at all this flailing.
But especially niefelheim; you don't pay someone for taking out their main strength, you invade or extort them, c'mon son.

Oh yes, that was pretty cool to read. Niefelheim's player was way too nice in that situation, he should have pushed into Arco, or extracted concessions from them! If you kill their awake expander, what are the chances that they can offer you meaningful resistance?

Also, that Arco bless in general...

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

V. Illych L. posted:

could we get a rundown from good players on the more egregious mistakes people have been making and why they're mistakes?

Everybody's doing pretty well on thé whole, just some subpar expansion.
But some blesses are rather bad. Niefel tripled up on making his weapons magical for example and thé good thing about his bless won't come into play untill turn 36, at which Point it'll be redundant.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Fomoria: Turn 6

i immediately agree with this, since I don't want to fight anyone yet.

meanwhile the boar does his thing in the mountains

they've got a mage! except he doesn't look too threatening

so it goes

finally the spirit of A 7000 SERIES TRAIN can be laid to rest. vengeance is ours

your local public transit system and the priest/militia army push into that big city over by Arco, while in the northeast I ferry back a commander to grab new troops

faughn keeps goin north, i want that city up there to put a fort on probably and i still haven't seen any flags up this way

hopefully some of them are having expansion problems? i've also got an advantage in that i don't think a lot of them have a built-in way to go underwater, and I've got good sacreds that can. so that massive lake to my north with the throne in it may be an uncontested way to expand later on when i run out of room on land

army still looks like it can handle poo poo. these fomorian milita definitely melt way quicker than my ~~Unmarked~~ do and i'm almost out of lovely man-chaff

i also throw some gold at mercenaries so i can hit more of these indies, i want to have a good position before i have to start going through other players.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

V. Illych L. posted:

I am gonna Judge all of the posted gods at some point I have to

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Torrannor posted:

What turn is this game on? Is it already finished? Going by how many players are posting their own screenshots, I imagine this is still going on, and those posting in here are still in the game.

I'm not going to say whether or not the game is over, but it's about turn 4 that the idea of doing the LP was floated in the game discord channel (by newbies, for newbies) and met with a good response, so people started taking pictures.

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008

uguu posted:

Everybody's doing pretty well on thé whole, just some subpar expansion.
But some blesses are rather bad. Niefel tripled up on making his weapons magical for example and thé good thing about his bless won't come into play untill turn 36, at which Point it'll be redundant.

But man when turn 36 comes around, you just wait!

Ramc posted:

Oh drat this is going to be one hell of a roasting, especially about my god. :(

CrazyJesus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 14, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ramc posted:

Oh man PLEASE do. Roast the gently caress out of me and my stupid choices.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

CrazyJesus posted:

Oh drat this is going to be one hell of a roasting, especially about my god. :(

I feel like your god was the straw that broke the camels back for me, yes.

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
TURN 7

Another uhm. 'Turn'.

First things first, Ur sent us a message here. I assume it was sent before I messaged him on discord about the borders to the south.

So, Dominions Paranoia. With other stuff that happens this turn, plus just general nervousness from being one of my first games, in the end I agreed to this. I, of course, did not know just how badly gimped Ur was, with their horrible expansion and all that.

I send a well written reply, of course.

Sadly, as I somewhat predicted and fretted...

Dian bit it this turn. The poachers got her, I suppose. Shame! We didn't do much to the province either, and this is exactly why I agreed with Ur's idea. I have literally no troops in the south now. This is, as they say, a bad thing. Whilst I gambled on this, and assumed that this was a distinct possibility, I am still disappointed. Ah well. I am good at predicting but not avoiding my own failures. The worst super power.

In the other battle, though!

We finally get to see the power of Palankashas. Yeah, they're only beating up tribals, but hey, none of them died! Power! The ~MIRE OF MYSTERY~ is ours! As is a random event!

Mystery shrooms. Huh. Well. Nevermind, this is a silly place. We do also find this!

I suppose this is the mystery of the mire! Problem solved! Just call it the Mire now.

The overview! We are going to try and continue to be ballsy with our expansion plans. Retreating into our shell now will only make things worse, right? We're pushing for Fenica, a province that has city buildings and such. Generally speaking, if a province has special details on a map, it tends to have stats that correspond. This will likely have a decent pop, and therefore, be a great place for one of our rather late forts. We'll look at finishing our cap circle, very late, next turn. Listen, I'm putting the bad in newbad, okay?

As for the south, hopefully a third group of sacreds can finish that off, perhaps with Gana support.

In the north, we can see why Abysia might have relented to our demands.

Whilst this turns out to be a mere lack of knowledge of cap locations, it's still hilarious to see. I silently hoped at the time that it was a sign of an oncoming hellwar.

Lastly, we've spotted Mictlan, who are similar to us in that they are a blood focused nation, but different to us in that they have massable, good sacreds. Great! Thankfully, they're on the other side of Sauromatia. Those are the two nations I'm most worried about, really, so at least they'll hopefully distract each other. It also brings up the obvious issue, though. I'm friendly with all my neighbours. Normally, I'd probably want to befriend two, in this case Abysia and Sauro, and pick on Ur, especially after our expansion is complete. But at the moment, with my lack of knowledge and how fragile my nation is, stacked with the failures I've had, it's just natural for me to be cautious. Plus, being a noob game, I'm sure if I almost killed a player I'd get people pointing and shouting at me.

Speaking of pointing and shouting.. Sadly, this is where the true hell of this world was revealed on Discord by the game's creator. An accident in game creation, really.

6 points needed. Which means only three turns. This is either going to be quick or slow because of cowardice born from noobishness. Either way, well. gently caress. This is pretty bad for us. Just need to persevere, though!

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017

Torrannor posted:

This huge throne garrison at least gives Lanka a relatively safe Eastern border, only flyers or amphibians can get at them from that part of the map.

By the way, if uguu hadn't posted about this in Ramc's LP, I don't think I would have found it. If you want more views, just post in the LP announcement thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722993), or at least the general Dominions thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842007)?

I have done so, thank you for the advice! Yeah, that garrison is a blessing and a curse, really. At least the water crossing is entirely safe, and when I do jump into that pond with my upcoming undead hordes, I'll have it on lock!

Torrannor posted:

And as for this, well I won't answer that properly as that would be spoiling stuff, no? But I can say that I started posting this on turn 24. So there's roughly a 20 turn delay.

Highwayleopard fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 15, 2019

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Arcosephale Turn 7

Niefelheim keeps their word and sends me 100 gold. Good. My Drakon didn't die in vain. Abysia hasn't sent me the fire gems yet, but they also didn't take back their cap circle province yet so I can't blame them.

My Wind Riders demonstrate that they don't need Barkskin to win handily. The battle in Glanis does have a few snags though: a Wind Rider dies, one of my Wind Lords retreats to the capital and the one that stayed behind gets Battle Fright, an affliction that reduces their morale. Still good considering how nasty heavy cavalry can be to go up against.

Further checking of messages reveals that the cursed and cowardly Wind Lord is now a legendary hero, renowned for their "legendary precision". This raises a somewhat deep philosophical question: Is it more heroic to be a coward under a curse who nonetheless perseveres or someone brave and blessed who ends up running away? Dominions apparently thinks so!

The random event is one of my commanders making friends with a stray dog. Oreiades can cast Gift of Reason fairly easily once I actually research all the way to Thaumaturgy 5 so I might make that dog my prophet eventually. Assuming that he doesn't heroically die defending that province from enemies or barbarians or something, that is.

Worringly, Fomoria's Boar pretender seems to have snagged the huge farm province I've been eyeing. I suspect this will lead to war eventually but right now it's still easier to take independant provinces then fight other players so I don't contest it. Fomoria responds to me on discord and says that their neighbours are Pan, Ur and Mictlan. Ur is a nation I know nothing about basically. They might also be a giant nation? They might also have underwater only troops called "mumummus" or something? :iiam:

After again conferring with Mictlan and Niefelheim, I draw up the following expansion plan:

My newly heroic Wind Lord takes his eight Wind Riders back to the capital to be redistributed, while my newly recruited Wind Lord takes the waste to the southeast. My Wind Lord over in the mountains heads for the plains towards the south-east. Niefelheim warns me that this will likely bring me in contact with Hinnom, but from my perspective Hinnom isn't that much worse then the two giant nations already next to me. That will change as their blood economy ramps up, but for now being their neighbour doesn't noticeably worsen our position. My newly recruited Mage Engineer turns out to have astral, which will be very nice in the future. For now I just set him to research and my spare Wind Lord to calling back my pretender. Only 49 more priest turns to go until Snakes on an Inclined Plane once more walks among us! My newly recruited mounted commander starts building my first fort and my site searchers continue site searching. I recruit fewer Wind Riders this turn, only enough to fill out the squad of my currently idle Wind Lord once my heroic/cursed/cowardly one comes back with his extras. I spend my excess money on Peltasts. I think that my throne taking army will consist of any surviving Wind Riders, eight or so Chariots, thirty Peltasts and twenty Myrmidons. And maybe some mages too if I've researched Conjuration enough to get the elementals that will make them actually useful in combat by that point. All this assumes that Fomoria doesn't take the throne with their pretender this turn, that is. I don't think that they can solo it, but then I didn't think they could solo the big farm either.

Come to think of it, I totally forgot to check what the Thrones for this game even were.

Wow, uh, Cataclysm in 34 years is a long ways away. 35 years is, uh, 420 turns. So still 414 turns until the world finally blazes it.

Also uh you only need three of these Thrones to win. And there are ten of them. That seems like a recipe for a pretty dang short game. Actually I wonder what happens if three different people all claim three Thrones on the same turn. Who wins then? I mention this in the discord and it turns out to be a mistake in the game settings. Well this game shouldn't last too too long in that case. I almost immediately regret telling everyone else about the Thrones though. Arcosephale isn't that much of a rush nation and doesn't have any throne-claiming units besides their pretender and their prophet. Both of which are currently dead for me. So alerting everyone else that Throne rushing could be an easy win was probably a mistake.

So that's turn seven, which is a good turn for me compared to the disaster that was losing my pretender. I started a fort, got some new provinces, I'm in a good position to get some more next turn and I have a cool new dog just begging to be used as a prophet chassis. On the other hand the 3/10 throne victory condition is dangling over everything like a sword of damocles now.

Arcvasti fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 15, 2019

Ramc
May 4, 2008

THE JUDGEMENT OF THE GODS

NIFELHEIM

Right so I woke up one day to see that my LP had budded off and those tricked inspired had made their OWN LP of their newbie game. I want to emphasize that what I am saying comes from a place of DEEP POSITIVITY but lordy some of these gods. We are going to take a look today at the God of Niflheim...

ok so...

There is a lot to unpack here... but I think the first thing I really want to focus on is that this build is just... so expensive. The Son of Nifel chassis is 220 points which is about normal spendy, and starts with W2, D1. Adding another path costs 60 creation points. Player CrazyJesus- a name that is incredibly on point for a Dom5 player- has added three additional paths to this guy that is 180 creation points that is like 4 and a half scales. Those 60 points only get you the first dot in each path too. You have to buy it up from there at the normal inflating prices. Going from Astral 0 to Astral 4 for this guy is like 120 creation points or so. The one that really makes me physically reel is that he went from nature 0 to nature 7. The ever increasing numbers for buying up paths scale up how high your base is, so going to nature 7 from 0 is way more expensive than going from like nature 3. Regeneration is a great expansion bless for giants but at what price?

His regeneration bless cost about 270 creation points.

An awake version of his pretender before you buy anything has like 205 points to spend with neutral scales. To afford all this he had to imprison his god. Which means the probably strongest period for regen nifel- year 1 or so expansion, doesn't come online until like turn... 36. Ish. By then you probably want to have transitioned from super expensive giants to demons, summons and necromancy.

Ok so what else did he buy. He got Major Magic Resistance and Minor Magic Resistance for +3 MR total. This actually is always generically okay. His stated goal of wanting it for mindhunts really only protects his god- who can't be mindhunted anyway because he has astral 4, and his prophet as the +MR only happens when you are blessed and you normally are not blessed on the map phase when people start reaping brains. There is also a school of thought that having a god with Astral magic but less than Astral 6 opens your god up to being magic duelled to death by massed s1 weenie mages/turkeys so Astral 4 could be an actual liability in some circumstances.

We also have some weapon blesses. Frost Weapons and Withering Weapons. They are both pretty good but there is sort of a diminishing returns thing here. The premier sacred unit of the nation is the Nifel Giant who deals like 32 damage to anything it manages to hit. That kills most everything. Adding another 8 frost damage to that isn't always going to be a big help outside of fighting other really huge boys but I mean that can happen a lot. Anything that survives that 40 damage hit then has to save or slowly age to death. I'm not saying this is a worthless bless just that if you are fighting normal sized enemies it is just overkill. I mean maybe if you had to deal with a rampaging enemy super monster god it would be a big help in bringing it down... or you say accidentally bumped into one...

like that

At a glance this was killing me. I was howling. Nifel stumbles into the exact scenario his bless is optimized for... then I realized those aren't even his sacred giants his werewolf skin shifters just also hit like a truck because they are GIANTS.

also the drakon made a pretty bad mistake here. expand into someone elses' candles at your own risk with your god

The Blood Surge is also blandly good but ultimately this bless is not doing his Nifel Giants any huge favors, and he dumpstered his scales and locked his god away for it. His nation already has blood, astral and nature access from his gygia so he isn't even diversifying here. His Drain scales are going to make teching into good Nifel stuff take even longer.

So what is Hagen-Daz? He is a boondoggle. Niflheim got scammed into spending a ton of points on a God who assures them he can help them out and win this ascension war but ultimately he brings nothing to the table that the giants didn't already have themselves. His regeneration won't come online for like 3 years. This is the Big Dig of blesses. The regeneration is probably being stored in a random lot in the desert where they keep all the teslas.

But... lord those throne settings that just got posted. Oh my god literally anyone could win this. Niflheim could loving win this with this loving pretender

who keeps making these bad throne settings games????

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

who keeps making these bad throne settings games????

*whistles inconspicuously*

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

A Niefel giant hits for 35 damage.
With this bless, after a Niefel giant has killed a guy, he will hit for 46 damage.
A human has 10 hitpoints.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ramc posted:

THE JUDGEMENT OF THE GODS

I eagerly await your savaging of my build.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Uh, wow those victory conditions. Going by comments referencing how far along they were before starting the LP apparently this didn't happen, but this would be like the picture perfect game for a Mictlan hellbless to get a very fast win (on the assumption they had 3 reasonably near them).

On Niefel...

Even the Astral bless actually taken is pretty odd. Yeah, magic resist is generically good, but Niefel's sacreds ALREADY have well above average magic resist - seriously, Niefel Giants naturally have 15 base, and it's actually 16 in dominion on the assumption of 2 drain scales. More magic resist is not not particularly necessary. More relevantly, Niefel's magic very much leans towards the sorcerous schools rather than elemental - and sorcery is heavy with magic resist checks. Arcane Finesse is the massively better choice there, or Far Caster to boost a number of rather good short-ranged spells.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arcvasti posted:

The random event is one of my commanders making friends with a stray dog. Oreiades can cast Gift of Reason fairly easily once I actually research all the way to Thaumaturgy 5 so I might make that dog my prophet eventually. Assuming that he doesn't heroically die defending that province from enemies or barbarians or something, that is.

Oooooohhhhh.

Yes, do cast Gift of Reason on that dog. The result may surprise you...

Also, wtf is up with the Throne settings again? At least the newbies probably won't reach the stage where turns take an hour or so to play.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
This may be my favourite Dom 5 LP yet. And not just because I'm in it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I love you. All of you. :allears:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Torrannor posted:

Oooooohhhhh.

Also, wtf is up with the Throne settings again? At least the newbies probably won't reach the stage where turns take an hour or so to play.

It was an accident. Should've been 6 thrones instead of 6 points. Because of it, newbad (this game) will have an immediate follow up newbad2 with most of the same people. It has proper throne settings (and is MA), though I don't know if it will be LPd too.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spoilers!

Though I think the intent is to LP that in here as well, yes.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Torrannor posted:

Oooooohhhhh.

Pls post possible outcomes in spoiler text, not enough of the cool hidden poo poo gets posted and most people reading will never play the game. Plus, the non-newbie games tend to be between vets who optimize so a lot of the cool quirky stuff never gets showcased.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Prism posted:

though I don't know if it will be LPd too.

do iiiit

KazigluBey posted:

Pls post possible outcomes in spoiler text, not enough of the cool hidden poo poo gets posted and most people reading will never play the game. Plus, the non-newbie games tend to be between vets who optimize so a lot of the cool quirky stuff never gets showcased.

I uplifted a shrimp soldier and made him my prophet :colbert:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ramc posted:

do iiiit

Yeah but you're Ramc. Master of Diplomancy and Pantokrator far more times than is healthy.

Sup buddy. :heysexy:

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 15, 2019

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

KazigluBey posted:

Seconding this request

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KazigluBey posted:

:siren:FULL SPOILER!:siren:

:unsmith:

:toot:

:gonk:

Shamelessly stolen from fellow goon Inexplicable Humblebrag from the Dom 4 thread.

Is there a way to quote posts from closed threads?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Yeah but you're Ramc. Master of Diplomancy and Pantokrator far more times than is healthy.

Sup buddy. :heysexy:

This is a man who knows his (MA) monkeys.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ramc posted:

This is a man who knows his (MA) monkeys.

Oh man that was a great first game ever.

All these LPs make me want to try Dom5.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Oh man that was a great first game ever.

All these LPs make me want to try Dom5.

Corn was probably my masterpiece Pan game.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ramc posted:

Which was glorious, not going to lie. I'm just saying that a quick browse of that site that lists all possible spells/units/etc... shows a wealth of possible tricks but people (understandably!) tend towards the tried and proved strats like summoning Tarts or the elemental lords. I was really curious for more seemingly edge (??? or just rare?) stuff like the Lords of Civilization or this dog event.

By the by, thanks for showing that off, Torrannor!

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Prism posted:

It was an accident. Should've been 6 thrones instead of 6 points. Because of it, newbad (this game) will have an immediate follow up newbad2 with most of the same people. It has proper throne settings (and is MA), though I don't know if it will be LPd too.

Where can I join that?

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

Fomoria: Turn 7

alright i should probably be starting turns with the messages report like ramc did

ur wants to talk borders, so i send back a message that i'm willing to draw the lines peacefully. sounds like he's up to the northeast, but I haven't seen him yet.

i remembered mercs exist so i put in a bid for some. his slingers seem... alright?

while i'm at it let's try to grab these dudes. oh right how did the city battle-

oof, easy come easy go i guess. RIP event spawn guys. boar keeps trucking because that's how boar do

the other fight goes way less eventfully, which at this point is good. it looks like i took over a city... filled with fish men?

i have 3 candles in that forest to the west of my capital so i feel secure in sending the pig up there. i shuffle some dudes around and keep expanding around the lake to the northeast

i also notice that Arco pinged me and we have a discussion about that throne between us and who our neighbors are. i don't really have any interest messing with him or pan this early, especially since all i have over here is the boar and he can't fight in enemy candles

meanwhile I talked to Mictlan and agreed not to move south of Gipha last turn, and it looks like he took a province north of that. which is annoying, but since I never actually made him promise not to do it I respect how brazenly he's following the letter of the law and not the spirit. his cap is right below the "genie woods" there, i'm tempted to throw the boar at it but if he expands into it on the same turn the bump will probably kill it

eh gently caress it, this is fine so far. i should probably think about forts soon? i think?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hell yes, new Dominions LP, and with a bunch of contributors!

GrabbinPeels posted:

Don't worry I got you, at least for the ones on the first turn:

GrabbinPeels, I'm pretty sure we live in the same city based on this.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mictlan

Meanwhile my scout gets a good look at Fomoria's boar stomping everyone in his neighbourhood, as well as having what looks to me like a relatively large territory, especially as I've not been having the best luck expanding(some decently large indie forces everywhere I look, it feels like).

So I do the sensible and gentlemanly thing and start talking with everyone bordering Fomoria that I know of(Abysia and Arco so far) about how Fomoria's looking real scary and it'd be a crying shame if a bunch of well-meaning hellgods were to join up and try to kick his dick in. In reality I plan to threaten Fomoria, get him to give up Olm and Mushwood, and then NAP him without telling anyone else so they waste their resources getting stomped by his boar. Such a well-schemed plan couldn't possibly fail!

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

Hell yes, new Dominions LP, and with a bunch of contributors!

GrabbinPeels, I'm pretty sure we live in the same city based on this.

ahaha my naming scheme definitely is unrelated to my 2 hour hellcommute because they shut down half of two lines

nope

not at allll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Technowolf posted:

I eagerly await your savaging of my build.

ok buckle up