Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats your super skill?
This poll is closed.
ghost poops (no wiping) 3 8.11%
sucking own peepee 5 13.51%
ability to check polls for goku option b4 opening thread 11 29.73%
toilet posting 4 10.81%
enjoying hamburger helper without use of drugs 3 8.11%
growing jo crystals from jizz sock medium 10 27.03%
poop pants on command, even in event of recent bowel movement 1 2.70%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amicus curiae
May 31, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You beam it into the universe, how else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amicus curiae
May 31, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And show cleavage. That helps.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

BigBadSteve posted:

I foresee big money in dick readings, especially with happy endings.

"Yes Robert Kraft, you're going to win. You're a winner, Robert Kraft. Alright all done."

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Fake it till you make it, OP

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BigBadSteve posted:

So what was the card?

All the cards are the same, a picture of a gypsy woman or whatever, except for different 'fortunes' which arent even fortunes so much as quotes. One of mine was 'it is always wiser to receive advice than to give it'.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

sweet thursday posted:

Yeah I think the biggest obstacle to get over in order to make it in that business is being able to look a grieving mother in the face seated 2 feet away and telling her you'll let her talk to her dead son for $20

This is my issue, honestly. I had a good friend who was pretty... what's a kind word for it? New age? She was pretty new age and channeled her dead father through HORSE DIVINATION which was tremendously expensive. It gave me such a sleazy feeling to hear about. I met the lady that led her through it and she seemed really nice and I would like to believe she's also deluding herself and isn't a scam artist. I am torn on whether or not this is actually a healthy outlet for grieving. Probably depends on the person.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Horse divination is how Mr. Hands died

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
You have to realize that grieving people who go to psychics are looking for consolation, in a world that has very little to offer. They don't go there to learn the "truth" or something, they go to feel better so they can move on with their life. So when internet skeptics go "but it's bullshit, they pay for lies!" they are kind of missing the point.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Wait so opening your third eye isn't what's happening w/ goatse?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

You have to realize that grieving people who go to psychics are looking for consolation, in a world that has very little to offer. They don't go there to learn the "truth" or something, they go to feel better so they can move on with their life. So when internet skeptics go "but it's bullshit, they pay for lies!" they are kind of missing the point.

It's more a question of whether it's healthy to lie to yourself for closure and avoid coming to terms with reality and the concept of mortality. I feel like these people are also often the ones that lie to themselves about other parts of their life, too. The longer story is that this is actually an ex of mine, and I left her because she was entirely incapable of ever finding fault with anything she's ever done in her entire life despite having many good reasons to do so.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

i feel like the closer you are to places where terrible decisions are made*, the more success you’d have as a medium/palm reader

*excluding other mediums/palm readers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pretty sure they just make poo poo up and use charisma/people skills to sell it. Hope this helps, OP.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

it’s all about who you know in the fortune telling community - without connections you’ll end up nowhere. Befriend a psychic, and they might just envision a small office space next to a lovely tattoo parlor in your future

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I once worked for a company that collected the payments before you were connected with a phone psychic.

The people that called up were generally ignorant and afraid. The education level varied greatly from people who could barely string words together to make a sentence to someone like your local doctor... You would be surprised at the amount of professionals that called (I was).

I would say 80% of the people were calling up to see if their loved one was cheating on them and the rest of them wanted to know if/when they would find love.

A small portion of the people were crazy cray. The craziest lady was someone that thought an entire town was out to get her (gangstalking maybe?). She told me the entire thing and then I was like, "Ok Visa or Mastercard..."

And that's my lame story!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If there's anyone I hate more than peddlers of false hope, it's smug internet skeptics. All hope is false, ye fools, enjoy it for what it is - a temporary drug to shield your feeble ape mind from the yawning unthinkingable abyss of reality. Namaste.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat for being skeptical of someone charging $1000 to talk to dead relatives through horses

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

How is it different from buying an expensive front row ticket to a band that you like or a pair of $1000 shoes :smuggo:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

One night in Gibbis and my rear end in a top hat's real sore🎶

Edit: replied on the wrong tab/thread

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Cold reading

When I was managing the lounge for a little while I let this older alkie lady sit at a table with her tarot deck and give readings for glasses of wine. (I'm a softie.)
She never made a scene or chiseled people and eh its boring often in a bar, anything to talk about..
Regulars sent her drinks and she ate happy hour. I always tried to get her to admit it was bullshit and she never did. It IS total bullshit oc, without question BUT goddamn if she didn't tell one of my waitresses she was pregnant (she was not) 3 months before I had to loan her money for her abortion.

That waitress avoided her after that, she was honestly spooked.

It was a very lucky guess.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ehud posted:

One of my former bosses is now a psychic and medium. Sometimes I pull up her websites and laugh. My favorite service she offers is "Distance Reiki".

You pay her $50 and she promises to send healing energy to you remotely lol

Lol this owns.

sweet thursday posted:

Yeah I think the biggest obstacle to get over in order to make it in that business is being able to look a grieving mother in the face seated 2 feet away and telling her you'll let her talk to her dead son for $20

And this doesn’t :smith:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
attn: goons, take a photo of your palm and post it here for a free reading! accuracy 110% guaranteed - madame cleo herself could not do better!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Ok super gross
And who were you before your namechange sweet?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It was spit! Like spit on your hand shake and we're friends forever

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

It was spit! Like spit on your hand shake and we're friends forever

I can tell spit from spunk

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

guestimate posted:

I can tell spit from spunk

This man is a fraud with very liquidy semen

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

congratulations, your voluminous spittle refracts your lifeline in such a way that i can tell you will WIN THE POWERBALL! use numbers 2, 5, 2, 3, 1, and 2. enjoy!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

BigBadSteve posted:

My own reading career was a very short one. Because I was lazy, and also, believe it ir not, because I was very uncomfortable bullshitting to clients.

Is it really bullshit if you're taking classes on it/studying it? I mean of course tarot cards have no basis on reality but I thought the main point of "reading" was utilizing the vast amount of literature associated with the practice to construct a plausible and entertaining narrative for customers that are more or less in on it. Sure there will be clients that don't get it and think you're literally predicting the future or talking with dead people with 100% accuracy but otherwise as long as you're giving a disclaimer on the extent of your abilities (which in terms of physical reality is like nothing) I wouldn't feel too bad about pursuing a niche line of work if it interests you.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It seems like tarot would be an easy scam because you could just have a few variants of some feel good "love is just around the corner" fortune cookie bullshit to roll off no matter what cards come up. Kinda like a preacher that has a sermon set list that he cycles through every few months. The whole reading your future angle doesn't require all the effort of "I'm sensing someone whose name begins with the letter A, or B, or C...stop me if I'm getting close..."

I don't see any children in your future, that's for drat sure.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 11, 2019

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

g0lbez posted:

Is it really bullshit if you're taking classes on it/studying it? I mean of course tarot cards have no basis on reality but I thought the main point of "reading" was utilizing the vast amount of literature associated with the practice to construct a plausible and entertaining narrative for customers that are more or less in on it. Sure there will be clients that don't get it and think you're literally predicting the future or talking with dead people with 100% accuracy but otherwise as long as you're giving a disclaimer on the extent of your abilities (which in terms of physical reality is like nothing) I wouldn't feel too bad about pursuing a niche line of work if it interests you.

I've met enough people in my life who see psychics and virtually all of them believe it's real on some level. Or at least take the results seriously regardless of how supernatural they do or don't believe it to be. It's almost never done just for entertainment purposes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wonder if theres any sociological studies done on palm reading vs seeing a marriage & family therapist. Lower class folks without access to education and the financial means for therapy end up getting "grief counseling" of sorts from the local madame. like maybe this is the mental health version of buying frog leg powder to cure your rickets because you dont have the means to see a real doctor.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

The education level varied greatly from people who could barely string words together to make a sentence to someone like your local doctor... You would be surprised at the amount of professionals that called (I was).
That's pretty wild. Then again we're all sorta suckers for the supernatural. Prime Minister of Canada during WW2 participated in seances and talked to the ghost of Roosevelt, then you have NASA astronauts peeing on tires of a car before being sent into space because everyone who's done that hasn't died on the job yet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

buglord posted:

That's pretty wild. Then again we're all sorta suckers for the supernatural. Prime Minister of Canada during WW2 participated in seances and talked to the ghost of Roosevelt, then you have NASA astronauts peeing on tires of a car before being sent into space because everyone who's done that hasn't died on the job yet.

*In the 1970's or whatever, a novice astronaut receives a call at home. His first mission has been scheduled!*

Man: "Diane, they're sending me to space! This is it, toots, I'm really going!"

Woman: "Oh George, that's wonderful news! When are you going to..... um, what are you doing?"

Man: "I'm pissing on this car, Diane!"

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
This might be a weird shift but while the vast majority of the psychic profession is bullshit I do believe there is a very small tangible effect it can have via means that a psychic is probably unaware of. There's been studies that show a lot of these "gut instincts" and weird one-off psychic occurrences (like occasional telepathy between twins) are too frequent to be chalked up to coincidence (even factoring in global population) prompting more probing in the field, much to the disdain of a majority of the scientific community.

Thing is you can't really in good faith turn a blind eye to all of it. The effect, as tiny as it is, is notable and likely influenced by whatever fundamental particles of existence make up and/or contribute to our awareness because it's easier to observe a tangible effect from it the harder you "concentrate" on it.

Here's a smart guy doing a better job explaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NpAJ6Zg9Xs

One of the experiments he talks about involves someone from a distance "concentrating really hard" to try and mentally impart one of a series of random images to another participant in an isolation chamber who then successfully picks the intended image. In conclusion with this post I don't necessarily believe psychic abilities are tangible enough to be a viable profession or means of accomplishing anything productive but I do believe they are real to a very small, practically imperceptible extent.

It's a very cool scientific field in my opinion but due it's very close proximity to new age spiritual poo poo it does get very bogged down by said spiritual poo poo that is more self help kinda stuff than anything based on science. That guy I linked to in the youtube video is great because he approaches all this stuff purely from a scientific point of view and doesn't give a gently caress about anything but tangible evidence.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

My twin and I can sometimes telepathically tell when the other is watching anime and whether it's subs or dubs. Sometime I barge in on him to confront him about watching dubs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hayden. posted:

My twin and I can sometimes telepathically tell when the other is watching anime and whether it's subs or dubs. Sometime I barge in on him to confront him about watching dubs.

*Shameful twin starts watching dubbed anime*

From down the hall, well out of hearing range: "Nandate!?"

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

g0lbez posted:

I don't necessarily believe psychic abilities are tangible enough to be a viable profession or means of accomplishing anything productive but I do believe they are real to a very small, practically imperceptible extent.

lmao

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You might not realize it but I'm transmitting a psychic brown note... Listen in, on the edge between dreams and reality, and you will see.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Colonel Cancer posted:

You might not realize it but I'm transmitting a psychic brown note... Listen in, on the edge between dreams and reality, and you will see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPemyipJzAM

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Informal poll:

Is my pic
- semen
- spit
- goku facial serum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

I don't get what's so outlandish about that. Imperceptibility does not mean the same thing as something that's not real