Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, running around in Ferolia, the werewolves that can just spam healing spells forever are the first thing in the game with the serious capacity to kick my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Started Trials with a party of Angela, Duran and Kevin. Just finished the boss fight to get the first elemental, Lumina, and I've got a question about what I should be doing with stats for my party.

Going off the page in the LP that was linked earlier, I know for Angela I should be doing Int > Spirit > Stamina if I can't raise either of the first two, but what should I be throwing my points into for Duran and Kevin (when I get him) besides Strength and occasionally Stamina?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

W.T. Fits posted:

Started Trials with a party of Angela, Duran and Kevin. Just finished the boss fight to get the first elemental, Lumina, and I've got a question about what I should be doing with stats for my party.

Going off the page in the LP that was linked earlier, I know for Angela I should be doing Int > Spirit > Stamina if I can't raise either of the first two, but what should I be throwing my points into for Duran and Kevin (when I get him) besides Strength and occasionally Stamina?

Just put points into Int or Spirit since those affect magic def slightly. Probably Int, since there's more regular magic attacks than there are holy attacks in the game. If you're taking Duran or Kevin down the Light route, then they can use Spirit for their heals. Whichever stat is higher will affect your max MP, but this is only mainly relevant to Duran and his sabers, since Kevin is generally focused on punching stuff all the time.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 12, 2019

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

I decided to give Kevin a more intimidating name

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Rate my team: Hawk, Angela, Riesz.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

one of the best particularly with dark hawk and light lise

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hawk, Riesz, x is kinda just the best in general assuming you go Light Riesz and Dark Hawk.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

PantsBandit posted:

You've managed to pick the only character combination that can't learn any healing magic. But, Riesz, especially Light Riesz is a Very Good Choice, who has astounding synergy specifically with Dark Hawkeye, who is a powerhouse. And Angela is a black mage and I don't think you can actually screw up a black mage.

Is there actually a bad character combination or is it more a matter of bad class picks within a combo?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How the girl squard of Riesz, Angela, and Charlotte?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Some are more synergistic than others. I like pairing Duran and Angela together, but they don't actually complement each other well party-wise since they're just off doing their own thing with Duran smashing things with his sword and Angela magic spamming, and Duran's sabers are only marginally useful for Angela since she's not gonna be smacking things often with her staff.

EDIT: All Girl squad is good. It's gonna be Caster-focused, but Light Riesz will always be there to buff, and Dark Charlotte pairs well with Angela.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 13, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, now I'm trying to get my hands on ??? Seeds in the Jungle of Illusion before I hit 38 and I'm seriously considering just tossing my hands in the air and not playing further. I forgot how annoying this was.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, now I'm trying to get my hands on ??? Seeds in the Jungle of Illusion before I hit 38 and I'm seriously considering just tossing my hands in the air and not playing further. I forgot how annoying this was.

I always found it easiest to get them from the Light God-Beast area.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

What do the seeds do? I've played SD3 tons and I never remember grinding for seeds. Is it like a stat-boost thing for min-maxing?

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 13, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there any strategy to the bosses beyond mashing attack and healing when you're about to die? So far it doesn't seem like they really have dodgeable attacks.

Oh and dex is the broken stat I guess? Does Hawk still rely on it?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 13, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What do the seeds do? I've played SD3 tons and I never remeber grinding for seeds. Is it like a stat-boost thing for min-maxing?

You need the items they grow into to do the second class change.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

You need the items they grow into to do the second class change.
Agh, my brain. Now it's all coming flooding back. Thanks!

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 13, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did one of these have a character get turned into a werewolf? I swear I played a mana game that had something like that

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kevin is a werewolf, yes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

PantsBandit posted:

Is there any strategy to the bosses beyond mashing attack and healing when you're about to die? So far it doesn't seem like they really have dodgeable attacks.

Yeah, all the bugs and glitches still apply, so dex is still only useful for Hawkeye, and Kevin is still a murder machine who gets buffed by anything while in werewolf form

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Allarion posted:

Yeah, all the bugs and glitches still apply, so dex is still only useful for Hawkeye, and Kevin is still a murder machine who gets buffed by anything while in werewolf form

Anyone checked if Duran's shields are still broken?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm amazed that anybody even knew Duran's shields were broken because they're so obscurely difficult to find.

Anyway, I finished class changing, and now I'm annoyed because the guide at Seikens was completely wrong about which class was which and has the LL and LD classes switched around for Kevin and Duran.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
The out of nowhere double announcement of Collection and Trials remake (gonna be a long time before I stop accidentally calling that game SD3) have basically turned this E3 around for me entirely. I bought the collection after more than twenty years of waiting and still can't believe I'm somehow playing an official version of this game instead of a emulator or reprogrammed SNES cart. So far I like the new translation, and otherwise it seems pretty faithful. I'm also waiting for someone to figure out if they've fixed any of the bugged stats, but even if they didn't I'd say this remains completely worth playing.

For first-timers: don't stress too hard about party comps. It's a Square JRPG, it's never going to actually be so hard that you can't progress. Worst case scenario is you go grind for a little bit and brute force a tricky fight. Just pick whoever seems cool and go with it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

PantsBandit posted:

You can animation lock them with magic nukes

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Here’s a little tip for first timers: you can glitch spells into being cast instantly by picking the spell to use, then with another character use whatever item and the spell will fire off immediately after the item animation is done. Breaks the game once you teach Angela Ancient

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Reality Sinner posted:

You can animation lock them with magic nukes

*laughs in Bil and Ben*

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, don't go too crazy with magic spam since lots of bosses love to counter you for doing that. Course, if you cast silence on them beforehand...

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 13, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Can't believe Death Hand is no longer called Death Hand

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's it called? I didn't take Kevin in my first party.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Dervish got renamed to Fatal Fist and Deathhand got renamed to Enlightened unless I'm mixing them up. I might be. Doesn't help that old faqs seem inconsistent on which is which.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 14, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ah yeah, I think Death Hand is now Fatal Fist, and Dervish is Enlightened, which makes sense.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Final Fantasy Adventures was an absolutely rad game. I played so much of it as a kid. There was...I remember killing townsfolk and I think I had a monster friend. It was weird and tremendous for a Gameboy game.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Final Fantasy Adventures was an absolutely rad game. I played so much of it as a kid. There was...I remember killing townsfolk and I think I had a monster friend. It was weird and tremendous for a Gameboy game.

Final Fantasy Adventure is such a gem of a game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Not a single god damned chocobo in the final fantasy series has been as cool as Chocobot.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Can't believe I'm about to play a game I've been pining for since I saw screenshots in EGM in like 1994, after SoM blew my 8-year-old mind. $40 is kinda bullshit but I really can't resist.

also:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Please put Secret of Mana + in the OP, thank you.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Someone on resetera made a Trials of Mana: Three Job Thiesta, which is similar to the yearly FFV4JF.
http://www.robin64.co.uk/tomtjt

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So having not played this in decades, I've picked a party of Duran/Riesz/Hawk. Riesz is going Light/Dark for party buffs, Hawk is probably going Dark/Light for Debuffs. I'm thinking about taking Duran Swordmaster but that leaves me without any healing. Am I going to regret that or do the sabers and damage make up for it?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can rely on items for healing. Buy Poto Oils in Beiser which is a multi target healing item. Boom, all the healing you’ll ever need, especially since you’ll rip through most enemies with all the buffing and debuffing you’re going to do with that party.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Man, this is disappointing. I've been doing my usual post-Smash-reveal reaction video binging (the only reaction videos I like, I swear :() and I've been skipping around through the direct to see any reactions to the stuff that I liked (Animal Crossing, No More Heroes ect) and so far I've only found one that even acknowledged what a big deal it is to get both an official SD3 and the Trials remake. :( I guess the kind of people who stumbled across and played the fan translation of SD3 aren't the kind of people who become YouTubers, but if anyone finds a decent one lemme know. Obviously it was nice to see positive reactions here on the forums but there's something special about seeing and hearing genuine excitement. :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Man, this is disappointing. I've been doing my usual post-Smash-reveal reaction video binging (the only reaction videos I like, I swear :() and I've been skipping around through the direct to see any reactions to the stuff that I liked (Animal Crossing, No More Heroes ect) and so far I've only found one that even acknowledged what a big deal it is to get both an official SD3 and the Trials remake. :( I guess the kind of people who stumbled across and played the fan translation of SD3 aren't the kind of people who become YouTubers, but if anyone finds a decent one lemme know. Obviously it was nice to see positive reactions here on the forums but there's something special about seeing and hearing genuine excitement. :)

I know what you mean!! It's almost like this port came so late that the majority of folks who would have flipped out about it just grew up and moved on before Nintendo actually finally delivered. :smith:

I was also able to find some random people on Twitter making a big deal about this, so if you're looking for fan reactions maybe try there.

Question for the thread: Does anybody feel like SD3 is similar at all to Octopath Traveler? I still haven't played that one but visually it seems pretty similar...do the similarities end there? I have a friend who got really into Octopath; do you think I could convince him to try some co-op SD3 with me? Would he even enjoy it? (he's not a big RPG fan in general but he says Octopath Traveler just really resonated with him for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You see people caring in certain places, it's just easy to see how this series became super niche after the World of Mana project killed it until of all things a mobile development team took over more than ten years later.

I know Tomato (fan translator of Mother 3) has been getting interested in it just from a translation standpoint.

timp posted:

Question for the thread: Does anybody feel like SD3 is similar at all to Octopath Traveler? I still haven't played that one but visually it seems pretty similar...do the similarities end there? I have a friend who got really into Octopath; do you think I could convince him to try some co-op SD3 with me? Would he even enjoy it? (he's not a big RPG fan in general but he says Octopath Traveler just really resonated with him for some reason)

Octopath is comprehensible SaGa and nothing like SD3, really. Other than it being sprite-based.