Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alxprit posted:

What does that even mean

nakedly
adverb
in a way that is obvious and unpleasant:

cynical
adjective
concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Okay then let me be more obvious: in what way is that happening in the game, cause I have no idea.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

one of the first things you run into in the game is a tutorial on how to gamble with real world money to unlock characters, the game gives you challenges where you preview one of the characters you can gamble for so you can experience how much ridiculously better they are than the free characters. Abundant daily login rewards and mundane tasks that are designed entirely to be habit-forming. It’s just got all the bells and whistles of a miserable gacha game, a tedious and empty grindfest meant to entice people into spending hundreds of dollars gambling for virtual waifus

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Also saying words like Hong Kong, Taiwan, or anything else that upsets the Chinese government will get you in trouble.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hopefully this isn't a false alarm but I was able to start downloading a patch just now. Maybe it was an older update but the new one should be today at some point. I'm going to work so I won't be able to try it right away but hopefully it's fun!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The 1.1.0 update is out. I've been playing Trials all week and the update hit this morning. Since I'm still playing the base game though I haven't noticed any specific changes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I changed my game’s difficulty to Expert and my save is right before Zehnoa. My characters are lv 30+ and class changed

Needless to say I got the poo poo kicked out of me. Game is hard af now, hell yeah

Edit: I’m considering starting over, I have no idea what the difficulty curve looks like so I can’t really tell if I am strong enough or not. I skipped out on a lot of fights earlier so I wouldn’t be overlevelled and that apparently backfired when I increased the difficulty. This kinda owns?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 14, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ah hell yeah I started over and Charlotte almost died fighting a Rabite, game is hard now finally

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Augus posted:

one of the first things you run into in the game is a tutorial on how to gamble with real world money to unlock characters, the game gives you challenges where you preview one of the characters you can gamble for so you can experience how much ridiculously better they are than the free characters. Abundant daily login rewards and mundane tasks that are designed entirely to be habit-forming. It’s just got all the bells and whistles of a miserable gacha game, a tedious and empty grindfest meant to entice people into spending hundreds of dollars gambling for virtual waifus

The only 5* character that is remarkably good is Diluc, and even he isn’t good enough to a degree that matters. Many of the highest parsing team comps use nothing but easy to acquire 4 star characters :eng101:

It is definitely still predatory but the predation is all psychological. 5 star waifus don’t actually matter.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Interested to hear more details on the ways that Very Hard but not actually No Future mode is harder. Is it just numbers?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rand Brittain posted:

Interested to hear more details on the ways that Very Hard but not actually No Future mode is harder. Is it just numbers?

From what I can tell it’s just tougher enemies which is good enough for me. No Future is like KH Critical mode where they throw all kinds of restrictions onto you in addition to tougher enemies. Apparently it limits the amount of abilities you can equip and items you can hold, too?

Edit: to be more specific, the enemies seem to have their power scaled for the 300% exp ability you get for ng+ which addresses my biggest complaint.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 15, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Looks like No Future locks out any really good chain abilities. Any NG+ specific ones, ones you get from beating Anise, anything unlocked during Class 4 quests and most from the unique route bosses as well. So no 300% EXP, no 0 MP in battle, nothing like that. It might also expect you to have good starter gear for everyone, but I'm not sure how necessary that'll end up being... I'll give it a try and if it seems too hard I might downgrade to Expert so I can build up my party and prepare them better for it.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

OK now that I finally have the full game and I can pick up where the demo left off - Reisz (lead), Duran, Charlotte - is it a bad idea to keep dumping points into Duran's Strength because it seems like an extremely dumb and Duran thing to do? I just hit level 9 for everybody. Obviously I want to keep pumping Charlotte's Spirit up, but what's a good idea for Reisz at this point? I have about 4 points in Stamina for her so far, and some in Strength.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Duran has great Strength and Stamina, you’ll want to put points into those first. You’ll max out a couple of categories before the first class change. If you’re going Dark for Duran you want strength, stamina and luck, if you go Light you’ll also want Wisdom for healing purposes (you have Charlotte so you probably aren’t doing this)

Charlotte wants INT and Spirit, Riesz is good at a number of things but I think she’ll need INT for her spells after she changes class. I think her summons scale off of INT.

You should probably focus on abilities first though since the training points don’t just give stats.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Expert mode basically turns every boss into a giant HP wall who kills you in two hits. You have to be very good at dodging and predicting attacks. Even Full Metal Hugger was tough, his eye beam took me to critical hp pretty much instantly.

I’m hoping that No Future mode being balanced around having good equipment doesn’t mean you have to reset everyone’s classes in your previous game and grind their best equipment for each class you want so you can have it right out of the gate... that would be dumb as hell, what if you didn’t use the character in your most recent playthrough? I’m worried that might be the case though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'm currently playing No Future Mode without any bonus gear for my characters, beyond the status immunity Mana Bracelet and Mana Rings. At the start of the game you can't use any class gear, so you'd have to buy the class 1 gear in advance if you wanted a leg up - otherwise you might as well just have a bunch of Gold Item Seeds ready for when you class into class 3. The game has been doable, but it might not have been if I didn't have a bunch of claws to saber up my weapons against the various bosses I've been fighting to beat the timer. I still die in one to two hits to almost everything. But I think I'm starting to catch up with the game's expectation of power scaling for some reason, as I continue to progress and get better equipment from shops. Soon I'll be able to access the Night Market again too. Exciting stuff.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alxprit posted:

I'm currently playing No Future Mode without any bonus gear for my characters, beyond the status immunity Mana Bracelet and Mana Rings. At the start of the game you can't use any class gear, so you'd have to buy the class 1 gear in advance if you wanted a leg up - otherwise you might as well just have a bunch of Gold Item Seeds ready for when you class into class 3. The game has been doable, but it might not have been if I didn't have a bunch of claws to saber up my weapons against the various bosses I've been fighting to beat the timer. I still die in one to two hits to almost everything. But I think I'm starting to catch up with the game's expectation of power scaling for some reason, as I continue to progress and get better equipment from shops. Soon I'll be able to access the Night Market again too. Exciting stuff.

Ohhhh that’s true you could just grind a shitload of good seeds so you can get equipment for each class. That makes more sense. Also I think I read there is new equipment and a seed level higher than Rainbow? Probably not something you’d find until late in the game.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I forgot how great the dialogue in this game is. I just made it to the Molebear Highlands on Expert and when you land Kevin says "Valsena? No ... just holes." :smith:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Grimthwacker posted:

OK now that I finally have the full game and I can pick up where the demo left off - Reisz (lead), Duran, Charlotte - is it a bad idea to keep dumping points into Duran's Strength because it seems like an extremely dumb and Duran thing to do? I just hit level 9 for everybody. Obviously I want to keep pumping Charlotte's Spirit up, but what's a good idea for Reisz at this point? I have about 4 points in Stamina for her so far, and some in Strength.

A bit late, but Strength and Spirit are good choices for Riesz. Spirit is the one that has all of the status buff/debuff spells so you want to invest a lot of points to hit at least the tiers where you get those (and the upgrades). Intelligence is used for her Summon spells' attacks (and also together with Strength to determine Class Strike damage) so it's a consideration if you want to use the only offensive magic you get with her. However, I personally hate the range on most of them with the exception of the Dragonmaster summon.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Trip Report: Hard as poo poo

Will keep updated

e. update, accidentally saved over my file, and you get one shot by everything

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 18, 2020

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I decided to do a NG+ with a level reset on Expert mode with Hawkeye, Angela and Charlotte, with gear for Hawkeye and Charlotte. And ohhhhhhhh, man Angela dies at the drop of a hat. The other two are only lasting a little bit longer, but they aren’t getting one shot by bosses.

I’m planning on going D/L for Hawkeye to be ninja boss and debuff guy and L/D Charlotte for group weapon buffs. I’m not 100% sure what I wanna do for Angela. I’m torn between Magus and Grand Diviner.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I haven't tried the new patch myself yet but I thought there was supposed to be a chain ability that makes the AI unkillable?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mr. Neutron posted:

I haven't tried the new patch myself yet but I thought there was supposed to be a chain ability that makes the AI unkillable?

Correct, it leaves them with 1hp.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zenithe posted:

Correct, it leaves them with 1hp.

Is that for everyone or only in No Future mode?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Starting No Future gives you the chain abilities, and I don't think they're useable in any other difficulty if you were to change it midway. It kind of helps enable some weird strats like throwing on big buffs like Attack Help III on someone since they'll always be at critical HP forever.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That's disappointing, why would they not make them usable on any difficutly?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Neutron posted:

That's disappointing, why would they not make them usable on any difficutly?

The 1 HP ability is there specifically to deal with the item limitation in No Future, since it both restricts Angel's Grail uses and restricts healing item usage, both of which are otherwise necessary to compensate for the occasionally idiotic AI ramming their heads into telegraphs.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Ah, geez, Harcypete was a huge step up. I thought class changing was supposed to make this easier. For anyone else playing, you ABSOLUTELY need to use class strikes on the interruption of their giant attacks now or you will not stagger them in time. You might even need to be forced to use the Class 2 class strike. I'm going to be having my CPUs save their gauge forever now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I had to switch between my characters to empty their CS gauges to stun her. That boss sucked.

Somehow I didn’t know that Zehnoa was weak to water, the game gives you Poseidon Claws right before as a hint. Made that fight way easier. Bil & Ben on the other hand...

Edit: I’m a high enough level to do the second class change and I have a bunch of ??? Seeds leftover from my previous game... I think I’ll wait until I have all the elementals, or are close at least, since I won’t be able to use most of the high-level spells anyway.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 18, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Zehnoa might be close to impossible on No Future. The limited amount of water elemental items you can have with you, even with me cheating and having Hawkeye's Water Diversion spell to help out, is just not cutting it. I can get close but when near death Zehnoa sets up a trap right in front of it that limits where you can go and the quarters become impossibly tight, and a single misstep means a one-shot death. The Shape Shifters don't deal too much damage but they can add up over time, which is also annoying. This is definitely the first time I've thought maybe I can't even win.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have not touched the update yet but the trick to keeping the shape shifters off of you in the Zehnoa fight is to set the ai to target enemies other than yours so they keep them busy while you deal actual damage to the boss.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

OK, no future is not messing around. I've only finished the hugger and have wiped more times than I have ever in this game. I don't know if I'll keep going, and I'm thinking Gorva will be a real testing point as you need to simply not get hit. Everything one shots you which is leading to some interesting choices already as there is really no point for defence at this point.

e. also boss timer was 10 minutes, took about 6.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 18, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

My current thought is I might actually need to just straight up replay the game real quick so I can get advanced gear. I mean, I was fearing I was playing the game wrong but it seemed to let me proceed with clever use of strategy and items. But this is just too much.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Alxprit posted:

My current thought is I might actually need to just straight up replay the game real quick so I can get advanced gear. I mean, I was fearing I was playing the game wrong but it seemed to let me proceed with clever use of strategy and items. But this is just too much.

I went to palo and bought the pre class change gear. Armour barely made a difference but the damage is nice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That mostly makes me think of the Crimson Wizard and Zan Bie, neither of whom I could ever really break the endurance bars of, and I wasn't sure it was even possible with the wrong classes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol, now that i've tried this mode it's easier than how i was playing it, just because the skill that keeps my allies alive basically makes them immortal without me having to baby them with cups of wishes or whatever

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Musing at work, seeing as you can't take any hits at all, and your allies cannot die ever, I'm going to do a full damage/buff/debuff trial and see how that goes. Sorry Cawie, youw out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I went and did the Firestone before the Waterstone for some reason. I figured I would do my second class change when I reached the Firestone... this was a mistake. On Expert, do your second class change ASAP. Bil & Ben wrecked me while I slowly chipped away at their health. And this was with Brawler Kevin at night. Shadow Menace and Poison Dagger were instant kills, even their regular attacks would take away something like 30-50% of a characters hp.

gently caress Bil & Ben, may they rot in hell

Edit: wtf I thought the enemies in Frostbite Fields would scale in level if I did the Firestone first this is dumb. Don’t ever do the Firestone first.

My best advice for people playing Expert difficulty is to do the Waterstone first and do your second class change then so the Firestone part isn’t a horrible slog. This is assuming you brought over a bunch of ??? Seeds from your previous playthrough of course.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 21, 2020

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

OK, I did my first class change, Dark Reisz, Dark Duran, Light Charlotte. . . I kinda didn't realize that Gladiator and Priestess both get the saber spells. Duran won't be learning his any time soon and Charlotte still needs a lot to go; you'd think they'd accessible without having to plow at least 12 points into Spirit with her. I'll roll with it for now but I did have a save before the Gusthall boss just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That is tough... I hadn’t thought about it before but I guess unless you went Dark with both Charlotte and Duran they’ll be overlapping. Might make sense to go light with Riesz instead so you can buff the poo poo out of your party. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think Dark Charlotte still gets Healing Light+ so that might make more sense. Her summon spells can be pretty good.

Edit: going with Edelfrei for Duran, Starlancer for Riesz and Necromancer for Charlotte sounds like a pretty good party.

I can’t remember, do Light spells scale off of INT in this game? And only healing magic scales off of Spirit? I can’t remember if this is like the original game where all Wisp spells scale off of Spirit.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 24, 2020