Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm at endgame right now, which, in classic Square fashion, is suitably a slog. A couple of bosses down, I decide to rope of Dark Castle and gear up, so of course after I drop lots of money on the best armors in Pedda, I wind up getting (slightly) better stuff from Item Seeds. Typical. In terms of damage dealing I have what I think is Charlotte's best flail from another item seed and brought the best sword Pedda has for Duran. Reisz is due for a weapon upgrade but she's been doing fine so far.

I'm certainly glad I have Charlotte along in full healbot mode, because I equipped Duran with the skill that amps up power attacks for 5% HP, which doesn't seem like a lot at first, but it really adds up. It does help make short work of most things, though, so I can't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Phantasium posted:

The Parpotos that can be spawned from Marmpotos when they are low on health can also drop them, in the Shimmering Ruins and Labyrinth of Ice.

I refuse to accept they are called anything but Papa Poto and Mama Poto.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm certainly glad I have Charlotte along in full healbot mode, because I equipped Duran with the skill that amps up power attacks for 5% HP, which doesn't seem like a lot at first, but it really adds up. It does help make short work of most things, though, so I can't complain.

It still kinda bugs me a little bit that losing HP through abilities like that, rather than failing to dodge, still causes you to lose the "never got hit" experience bonus after battle.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dolan on Expert difficult was certainly something. If it weren’t for the ability that basically gives you infinite items I would have run out of wishing cups pretty quickly. His stupid pummel move is ridiculous because the AI is dumb and bad at jumping, also smashing the moon he summons to prevent his super move is pretty much impossible by the end of the battle. It sucked. I probably shouldn’t have left him for last tbh. The wood Benevodon also sucked but was manageable at least. gently caress you Dolan!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Can't you use the chain abilities that make AI invulnerable on Expert?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The chain ability is for No Future only, iirc.

Also the trick with Dolan's super move and ones like it is if you use a class strike that typically locks an enemy down, if you use it on a piece of a super move it will still do damage to it even if the piece has disappeared normally. i.e. if you use something like Kevin's Abyssal Slice on it, it will still give the damage on it and cancel the attack even if the moon has at that point flown into the sky to start the attack because it locks down the hitbox to still take damage. It's a good way to give you more time to cancel an attack.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I finished the main game - time for postgame shenanigans! Honestly the final boss was pretty much a joke: Duran with his best gear + Wound + Charlotte healbotting constantly = one very dead Archdemon. Now that I know what to expect my next playthrough should should be without healing magic (or does Angela get access to that at some point?), so I'll have to make use of items more frequently.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
About to finish up Anise with Duran, Angela, Hawkeye.

I know I'm going to play with the other 3 next. I'm wondering if Kevin (Fatal Fist), Reisz (Starlancer), and Charlotte (Sage) would be ok. Are both Sage and Starlancer essentially just support classes only there to make Kevin kill things faster or will they actually be useful too?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you're going the Kevin/Charlotte route, Charlotte's light/light class gets a spell that absolutely massacres all undead enemies who are equal or lesser level than you. And you will fight a LOT of undead enemies.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Riesz has decent attack and a summon spell that deals damage. I did what you described but with DD Riesz for multi-target debuffs, mostly because my third run is going to have her as my main and I’m going to roll with Starlancer. But either option is good, buffing the poo poo out of Fatal Fist Kevin who can buff his own crit rate is great fun.

Edit: I could’ve gone high priest with Charlotte but wanted multi-target sabres. In retrospect, holy saber and Undead Away might have been more useful. I try to buff both Riesz and Kevin with sabers and moon energy but Riesz just dies most of the time lol

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 10, 2020

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Thanks. That was helpful. Now to have Charlotte or Kevin be the main...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I personally find Kevin insufferable, even more annoying than Charlotte so I made her my main but play exclusively as Kevin. It really depends on who you find less irritating because they’re going to be the one talking most of the game.

I also did a Kevin run back in the day and wanted to play as someone else.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Defiance Industries posted:

If you're going the Kevin/Charlotte route, Charlotte's light/light class gets a spell that absolutely massacres all undead enemies who are equal or lesser level than you. And you will fight a LOT of undead enemies.

To be honest, Undead Away might have been the ability that received the biggest nerf between the original and the remake. In the original, it cost 1 mp, automatically hits everything on screen and if the target's level was lower than yours, it suffered 999 damage, no ifs, ands or buts, even if the target was a boss. In the remake, it costs 8 mp, has a rather small area of effect, if the target's level was lower than yours, it might or might not insta-kill it, but there was a random factor to it now and its spell power was 176, same as earth/wind/ice/fire level 2 spells. You could make a fairly decent argument that if you wanted to smite undead with Charlotte, the Lucent Beam spell she gets as a sage is frequently a better option since it has a spell power of 250 even if it has no random insta-kill factor attached to it.

It's by no means the overpowered screen-nuke anymore that it was in the SNES version.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Yeah, Undead Away was very underwhelming. Holy Saber was nice though.

Seeing how far I get with playing as each character before burning out and trying to use different classes each time.

I'm sure there are classes that are more fun to play than others if you're actually playing the character. I don't think any would actually be terrible to play as aside from High Cleric and the game is easy enough on Hard that class combinations really don't matter much.

Any recommendations for which class is more fun to play as between these?

Warlock and Necromancer

Rogue and Nomad

Vanadis and Starlancer

Magus and Rune Seer

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Can’t really speak for the Angela classes.

Necromancer is interesting as a hybrid physical attacker that’s strong against normal encounters with melee, then has debuffs, healing and magic against bosses. Overall it’s not great, but is interesting. Warlock is a good class for healing on a magic heavy team since she can debuff magic defense and has strong spells herself. I’ve only played necromancer, but found it underwhelming. I would take warlock, of the two.

Nomad and Rogue are both cool, with rogue playing as a full caster that has melee backup and nomad playing as a super-versatile hybrid support build. I think nomad is one of the coolest and most fun class designs ever, but it’s not super strong and it takes forever to really come online. Rogue is much more straightforward and also probably a good bit more powerful.

Vanadys is much more interesting to actually play than starlancer, but starlancer is generally better. Both get a really strong CS gauge boosting skill, but starlancer is more for passive party support while Vanadys is more for tanking (but doesn’t get provoke, so is not great at it) and CS spam.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shyfted One posted:

Warlock and Necromancer

Rogue and Nomad

Vanadis and Starlancer

Magus and Rune Seer

Starlancer is considered Riesz’s best class, it gets multi-target buffs and really there’s no reason to ever use Vanadis.

Nomad is not very good, go for Rogue. Nomad learns a bunch of not very good, non-damaging spells (apart from poison bubble) whereas Rogue learns more traps that scale off of his crazy-high luck, some of which do Dark/Light/Wood damage which are invaluable. Rogue is just much better in almost every case. Neither of them are as good as Ninja Master though.

Angela’s Dark classes are interesting... Magus is considered better because her lv 2 spells come out very quickly and Ancient Curse is very good in spite of its long cast time. For Rune Seer, the lv 3 spells cost a lot of MP and take a while to case and any of her other classes would probably have already won the battle by that time. Her Light classes are just better all around because Lucent Beam+ is the most absurdly powerful spell in the game and she can cast it pretty much instantly. I’d go for Magus if you have to go dark.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 14, 2020

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'm trying to think of which would be more interesting as I'm eventually going to have the other in a party at some point anyway.

If I'm going to have to actually use their attack and spells then it's be fun to have some options. Like, for Dark Angela I'm likely just going to not use Ancient Curse because it's going to be just as boring as Lucent Beam+. So maybe it'd be fun to cast magic that also has status effects even if it doesn't work on a boss? I'm also not using the really overpowered NG+ abilities and only using equipment I'd have at that point because otherwise no class choice actually matters.

I guess Angela is a bad example because she doesn't have any bad classes, just ones that break the game more.

I really wish there was a difficulty between Hard and Expert (on Switch so no mods). No Future actually sounds more fun than Expert because I don't have to constantly be using Cups to revive dumb AI, but I need to have some stronger gear to carry over 1st. Maybe the 5th playthrough if I at least have some light and dark class equipment for everyone.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Man, the postgame is really inconsequential, or at least it was with my team comp. Between Riesz's debuffs, Duran tearing everything apart and Charlotte's healing everything went down pretty quickly. That last class change was pretty much overkill.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dark Lich is destroying me on Expert and I’m lv 90 and have all the best equipment for my classes :negative: I think I need to set Charlotte to only heal because she is useless at everything else. Debuffs really aren’t that great tbh he can still wreck me even fully debuffed, so maybe dark Riesz was a bad choice. Also preventing Lich’s super move is basically impossible, I try to use Seiryu Strike and can’t find the sweet spot where I destroy all of the bits in one go, maybe I should focus on two and then scramble to break the third one. I might have to grind to lv 99 this is dumb as poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Break two and lock down the last one with a class strike, or abuse invincibility frames of a cs at the spell's activation to avoid damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah I managed to beat him on the fourth try.

lol on Expert, Kevin’s dad can kill Kevin in one combo when he powers up at 50% hp. I cheesed the fight by throwing Bumpkins

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ahem
Gathering ??? Seeds is utter bullshit and ruins the pacing of the game. If there weren't 6 guaranteed from chests in the Benevodon dungeons this would be a game ender for me. And even then it's awful because you're either A: Killing the Benevodons as you go which takes the brief window you get to use your 3rd classes and makes it even smaller or B: Not killing the Benevodons which means you're going through a bunch of dungeons twice. Luckily they are pretty short. But still. Between getting the seeds from the chests and then going back and killing the first 7 I got a whopping 5 seeds to drop. I was level 47 when I was finally able to switch classes. If not for those chests I'd be level 61 and STILL not able to class change everybody.

Just...holy poo poo. loving awful.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you are on PC just mod them in. They are not a fun mechanic indeed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

On NG+ you will have dozens left over from previous runs so it’s never a problem again.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Annise must have low Def because I was able to steamroll her on Expert with mainly just Kevin with Light Saber/Moon Energy/Attack up buff. He was doing tons of damage with his crits. I thought Dark Lich was harder to be honest.

I was reading strategies for No Future mode and they highly recommend you use Duran with Provoke controlled by the AI since your AI characters can’t die. Also Nomad Hawkeye with the spell Crystalline is apparently really helpful. Makes sense, maybe I’ll do a potential fourth playthrough on No Future and just do my Riesz/Hawkeye/Angela(?) run on Expert.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I definitely need to try No Future again but this time actually prepare for it with the class 1 ultimate weapons and armor available from the start because you kinda need them. I got stonewalled at Zehnoa. The lack of ability of items available to use to turn off the furnace was a little too much, plus instant death on most attacks can cut your sabers short in an annoying way as well. The game probably would have been a good bit easier after that, but eugh.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah it kinda sucks you can only buy equipment for the characters in your party because it meant to prepare I had to reuse one of my prior characters from my then current save file on my No Future run since I only had equipment for later class changes on hand.

But also I'm a weirdo that has now rebought the game on Steam so I can do a No Future, no damage run with no attack indicators either.

I did notice that the update added a bunch of extra save points closer to some bosses that were kind of tedious to refight before.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Just picked up this game for the holidays... I'm wondering what the best class setup for a Duran/Angela/Riesz team would be.

Will probably go Swordmaster/Edelfrei for Duran, but the other two require some thought. Will probably go either Grand Divina or Magus for Angela, and either Starlancer or Fenrir Knight for Riesz.

Are buffs or debuffs generally better? I know from playing the SNES version that Starlancer's better if you have another debuffer, but this isn't the case here.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Wyvernil posted:

Just picked up this game for the holidays... I'm wondering what the best class setup for a Duran/Angela/Riesz team would be.

Will probably go Swordmaster/Edelfrei for Duran, but the other two require some thought. Will probably go either Grand Divina or Magus for Angela, and either Starlancer or Fenrir Knight for Riesz.

Are buffs or debuffs generally better? I know from playing the SNES version that Starlancer's better if you have another debuffer, but this isn't the case here.

Duran has 1 and 1 class really, and it is indeed Edelfrei. The rest suck or are meh/gimmicky, fortunately for him Edelfrei is quite good.

Debuffs are actually better, even true in the origional. But because dark buffs were on multiple characters (namely Dark Hawkeye who was the 2nd strongest character) it was ususally better to go Light Riesz for the combo. Dark Riesz is argubably superior in the remake since she hits like a mac truck and she gets skills that make her de/buffs quite a bit stronger than the rest, like its actually understated how much more potent they make them. Dragon Knight is better if your going to control her more, but Fenrir Knight is better for supporting. Starlancer is still fantasic but doesnt hit as hard and Debuffs are just kinda better.

Angela doesn't care what she goes, she's stupid broken at the end in varying degrees.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started playing this tonight, and really enjoying it a lot. In a sea of gigantic open world RPGs that can barely justify their size, this is a huge breath of fresh air for how linear and small the world is. Everything is straight forward, and I find that actually really fun. The devs did not bog the game down with pointless mechanics, stat systems, or any of that other stuff that is ultimately always pointless. Also, real time combat where you're not endlessly knocked to the ground.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm about six hours into the story and have been enjoying the remake so far. The new battle system is fun and somewhat reminiscent of FF7R from earlier this year, if that game came out in 2006 for the PS2. It's also an extremely easy game. I'm playing on Hard and the only time I've really even had to use healing items was against those double mecha dudes on the bridge. Angela is a really funny character, I love how she completely no-sells everything up to being arrested for treason and volunteered for human sacrifice. Totes uncool! I decided to go with Duran and Riesz to round out my party. Well that's all I got so far.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Sounds like the NG+ difficulties are where most of the difficulty lies but yeah Hard isn’t bad at all so far for me either.

The visual tells for most attacks also make it fairly easy to avoid them. Feels like XIV, very good stuff.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shoenin posted:

Duran has 1 and 1 class really, and it is indeed Edelfrei. The rest suck or are meh/gimmicky, fortunately for him Edelfrei is quite good.

Angela doesn't care what she goes, she's stupid broken at the end in varying degrees.

I got a lot of mileage out of leige Duran as a support tank.

Angela is Angela although I wish that Ancient Curse and Glitterdust had shorter cast times.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Iverron posted:

Sounds like the NG+ difficulties are where most of the difficulty lies but yeah Hard isn’t bad at all so far for me either.

The visual tells for most attacks also make it fairly easy to avoid them. Feels like XIV, very good stuff.

If you ever want to add difficulty, just go for the no damage bonus on bosses, it's pretty fun.

Also the tells are great enough you can mod the attack indicators out on PC and still know what's coming for the most part.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Is it worth it to respec all my stat points once I unlock the first round of class specializations?

Also lol that Duran's personal quest is basically the equivalent of a level 8 Orc spamming /yell in Orgrimmar.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm about to start my first run through this game with Hawkeye as my main and Reisz but cant decide on the third character. Who would be best to take along with these two?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you’re rolling with Ninja Master Hawkeye and Starlancer Riesz for a potent buff/debuff combo, Angela is a good third because she will just murder everything and everyone with her magic. Would recommend Light Angela as Lucent Beam+ wrecks almost everything. If you want a more challenging time Kevin as a Fatal Fist can punch the poo poo out of everyone and Edelfrei Duran is also very strong. If you want heals go with Light Kevin or Light Duran or Charlotte, but even on Hard heals aren’t as good as killing enemies quickly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I love Angela so much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finished the game + uber dungeon this morning. It was fun. The game itself is already quite easy, but by the end of it my Angela was just insanely overpowered with all the MGC buffs being fed by Riesz. Duran did some stuff too I guess, who knows. I like that it all wrapped up in a tidy 25 hours and never really dragged at any point, minus the final dungeon grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/1360091890863931393

Remake sold over a million copies worldwide now between all versions.