Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Legend of Mana is batshit but completely beautiful and endlessly charming. I played it so many times and probably never saw half of what it had to offer.

Also I heard the Secret of Mana remake was kind of bad? Did anyone play it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I imagine a lot of the translation stuff is just making it more consistent with where the later games ended up. I know you fight Benevodons in Children of Mana.

I imagine most of the mechanical stuff hasn't changed, but I'm not necessarily as familiar with this game as the others, I could never get myself to play games emulated as often as I do the original versions and only have beaten Trials once.

God that name still feels weird.
Yeah. I posted this in the Switch thread but I'll repeat it here-

I was chatting with friends during the Direct so I was only watching the screen maybe 80% of the time. When I saw the first scenes of the Trials reveal, I lost my poo poo because I adore SD3 due to playing it so many times back on the ZSNES days. But even though it was obviously a remake, when I saw the name "Trials of Mana" I assumed it was some World of Final Fantasy nonsense spin-off game using various Mana characters and it must be a coincidence that they only showed SD3 stuff.

I was busy typing about this in my chat so I missed them title-dropping Trials of Mana as the new name for SD3 in the Mana Collection announcement so I didn't find out until well after the Direct that it really was a remake. It's gonna take a lot of getting used to, I've spent half of my life calling it Seiken Densetsu 3 or at least Secret of Mana 3 (2?) depending on the audience.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

What do the seeds do? I've played SD3 tons and I never remember grinding for seeds. Is it like a stat-boost thing for min-maxing?

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 13, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

You need the items they grow into to do the second class change.
Agh, my brain. Now it's all coming flooding back. Thanks!

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 13, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Man, this is disappointing. I've been doing my usual post-Smash-reveal reaction video binging (the only reaction videos I like, I swear :() and I've been skipping around through the direct to see any reactions to the stuff that I liked (Animal Crossing, No More Heroes ect) and so far I've only found one that even acknowledged what a big deal it is to get both an official SD3 and the Trials remake. :( I guess the kind of people who stumbled across and played the fan translation of SD3 aren't the kind of people who become YouTubers, but if anyone finds a decent one lemme know. Obviously it was nice to see positive reactions here on the forums but there's something special about seeing and hearing genuine excitement. :)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh yeah, I've been able to find some good written responses to Mana, I only meant video/audio responses to it. I wanted to hear someone as excited about it as I was.

Finally found one though! A guy named Vinny from the Vinesauce (?) channel recognized it as Seiken Densetsu 3 and seemed pretty excited about it. Got one! :unsmith:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Kevin's vocal pattern is less annoying, and Charlotte's is much more annoying. Also the ruler of Altena is now the True Queen instead of the Queen of Reason, which seems like a downgrade.
It could be a consistency thing, but that is a strange change to make. Out of curiosity I tracked down the Japanese title and it seems to be "理の女王" which makes Queen of Reason more accurate? Strange.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Found another good reaction from a YouTuber named PlayerEssence. He fell out of his seat and was basically stunned silent for the whole trailer which was impressive. But I'll be honest, I think a lot of "reaction" videos overreact for views and he didn't go into detail about the game like Vinny did at the time so I wasn't sure if I believed it was legit or not, but then I saw he put it at #5 in his top ten best of E3 and talked a lot more about it there so then I felt bad for judging him. Mana fans are precious.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh poo poo, I need that in my life if just for Legend, even if SD3/Trials is my favorite

Also

Alxprit posted:

Switch demo when tho.
This game is Switch Only

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Trials of Mana remake is coming to Switch/PS4/Steam.
Sorry, I meant that I, personally, will only buy Trials on Switch

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is there a "bad" party composition?

I haven't played this game in a good 15 years so I've long since forgotten the synergies. If I was gonna go with a core of Duran and Angela, who would be a good third? I'm thinking Riesz or Hawkeye.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SettingSun posted:

You'd have to really try to get a bad party but even the worst of them can cover their weaknesses with items.

Light Reisz slots into nearly any party because of her buffing capability.
Nice! That's the one that's not naked too so that'll lessen the amount of Looks I get from the SO while playing. I'll have to do some research on the other two but it's a good start. Thanks for the tip!

Also we've seen Light and Dark Class 4s, does that mean there won't be a mixed option? Or rather I guess that just means they'll be the same whether you come from Light/Dark, Dark/Light, or DD/LL. It would be kinda crazy to make options for every possible path.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thanks for all the info! I think looking over everything I'm gonna do three runs, eventually, to cover all the characters. So it'll probably be

Angela/Duran/Riesz
Riesz/Hawkeye/Kevin
Kevin/Charlotte/Whoever my favorite is at this point

I can't believe how hyped I am for this remake. Definitely getting this for Switch so I can never put it down.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I might have some awkward decisions to make, with this and FF7:R being released so close to each other.
I wouldn't worry about them overlapping. After all, only one of them is a full game. :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

Kinda lame the english side didn't give the full quiz. The japanese quiz gave you a full party composition.

For anyone who is curious.

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/seiken3_tom/shindan/

Google translate can grab most of it (by which I mean, point your phone gtranslate app at it)
Duran, Hawkeye, and Charlotte.

Welp, that's 1 out of the 3 I picked.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I hope someone cracks the game before it comes out so they can just tell me where to put my points. I love this game but I do not like thinking about stat builds.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Agreed on both counts. There're parts that definitely show their age but I'm happier having a faithful-to-a-fault remake of the original game rather than risking what could've come from a full redesign and modernization. More clothes, perhaps, but probably more belts too...

EDIT: the two counts are "not generic, it helped define the genre" and "lady outfits are very 90s anime skeevy," not the mobile shovelware bit. I think the game looks great and charming as heck and that's coming from a Switch gamer.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 24, 2020

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I won't fin but I entered anyway.
Same. I just want that Switch.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like how many different iterations of Charlotte's name this thread has gone through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I remember loving SD3 for a million reasons but the difficulty was not among them