Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

The one thing dampening my Trials hype right now is the lack of coop. That was kind of a big deal to the SD3 experience to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

Didn't they say the remake added a mechanic where you can use the aesthetic of a previous class if you don't like the new one?

Because that is relevant to my interests with these 4th classes

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

Seriously who is voice acting Hawkeye because he has big Claude Von Riegan from Three Houses energy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

Suaimhneas posted:

Oh, huh. So you just don't get anything from Lumina if you didn't pick either of those characters? Coming to this from Secret of Mana, I wasn't expecting it to work that way

Yep. Almost everyone can learn Lumina related magic but not necessarily in their base class. Which is beyond the scope of the demo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

gandlethorpe posted:

I want to do some playthroughs of the original to hype myself up. Are there any guides on the stat system and comparison of the classes? I never really understood it and those archaic systems were always my least favorite thing about 90s (and sadly still some modern) RPGs. I know some things were bugged and not fixed in the collection.

I'd prefer something based on the most current understanding, and not something uploaded to GameFAQs in the early 2000s, rofl.

What makes you think current understanding has significantly changed relative to GameFAQs in the early 2000s on a game that old?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

Jackard posted:

Character slows to a walk when you change direction, sometimes attacks go in a random direction, dashing is bound to one or both of the thumbsticks.

The camera sucks and according to the article it's the reason they didn't include co-op.

Dash is a toggle not a hold. Tap it don’t hold it and slowing when you change directions doesn’t happen.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

Are Hawk’s Ninja Master/Nightblade spells governed by Int or Luck in this?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

Jazerus posted:

the character designs of the remake are not the original designs. well, the guys mostly get their original designs - they absolutely made the women wayyyyy skeevier. i guess angela always had a very low-cut boob armor thing in her base class menu portrait, but the sprite was considerably less horny and most of her final classes were pretty fully-dressed. lise literally wears poo poo like full plate and cloaks in her menu portraits, and her sprite suggests a fully-armored torso with an armored skirt down to the knee.

like i'm not opposed to people enjoying horny character designs but i am baffled that they took an RPG that resisted the siren call of boob armor remarkably well for a product of the mid-90s and dialed the horny up to 11 25 years later

The only Riesz that is super horny is Fenrir Knight. Which was always super horny.

Angela has always been horney on main.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

I was already not super hot on the idea of fourth classes taking away the significance of the third class splits. Reserving it for NG+ luxury mode is fine by me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

sigher posted:

Oh gently caress yeah, I'm glad I asked, now I don't have to worry about loving my build and class picks.

Ehhh sorta. Reclassing is still a bit of a pain so it's not exactly trivial. But it IS possible.

Respeccing training points though is completely trivial.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

When exactly can I get my first respec item? On Hawkeye’s story if that matters.

Having a healer just doesn’t matter that much so I’m feeling a a Duran respec.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

Taear posted:

It's definitely still pick Kevin.

I feel like the worst character this time over is Hawkeye, he's a bit all over the place. It's very strange that his light/light class suddenly requires spirit for example and all his spells are weirdly crowd controlly and not that great. I feel like everyone else has their special niche and he doesn't.
That's not to say he's bad, just the worst of the 6.

Nah. Hawkeye is second only to Angela in power because he's a high power caster and high power casters dominate the remake. Ninja SP Boost one and two stacked together lets Ninja Master Hawkeye chain AoEs into class strikes all day long. Fire and Water Diversion plus are three hits each, which on a boss, is going to give him a ridiculous amount of CS gauge per cast.

The worst character in the game is honestly, sadly, Riesz. She has no real noteworthy damage output, her support moves are largely unnecessary in a remake dominated by offensive firepower, she can easily be replaced by items. Riesz sucks, unambiguously. The only possible way someone could think Riesz does good damage is if they had mained her and no one else.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 11, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

Angela sounds like a real if goofy person.

Riesz sounds like a goddamn robot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm starting to question my choice of starting over. I previously had Angela, Riesz and Duran but all of the Riesz is blah discussion changed my mind. I restarted with Angela, Duran and Hawkeye. Duran is doing fine, he sorta tanks and heals and does average damage. I went Light and kinda wish I went Dark instead but hopefully I get one of those class change items. Angela is pretty cool so far but I haven't reached 38 yet so shes not screenwiping everything with ease.

Unfortunately Hawkeye is really not pulling his weight and I suspect its because the AI is terrible with him. I've got him set to just attack, hold back 0% CS/MP and it still feels like he barely contributes. Right now he's Ninja and I planned on doing Ninja Master for some semblance of synergy with Angela. When I control him he's solid but I want to control Angela since her AI is just OK at best.

I'm not going to restart again, just whining because I should've just picked Kevin and called it a day. Oh well, there is always NG+.

Angela and Hawkeye are both pretty bad under AI control for more or less the same exact reasons. If you aren't controlling Hawkeye, he's really only good for a Kevin/Duran party as Nomad to provide Moon Energy and Nature Aura for the Big Punchy Lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BRING CORPRO

Poque posted:

That interview is really lovely, just like the game.

For damage purposes, what stat do Hawkeye's "diversion" skills use? If it's Luck, I'm starting to think I beefed it a bit going for Ninja Master Hawk and Star Lancer Riesz.

Intelligence. Respeccing stat points is kinda trivial though. Just go to Beiser and spend some cash at the Night Market.