Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

This was a great remake. On my 2nd playthrough now, using Angela, Keven, Hawkeye. First run was Reisz(D/D), Duran (D/L), Charlotte (D/D), and my favorite ended up being Warlock Charlotte just summoning demons and breathing hellfire on everything. She makes the cutest "bleeeeeeeeh" clip when using Fetid Breath.

2nd time around, I'm endeavoring not to get overleveled, and things have definitely been a fair bit harder, especially with me playing as Angela, at least early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Oh, I just started a new game because I didn't want to abuse any of that stuff anyway.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Riesz' D/D outfit was great in the postgame when she was telling the ghosts of her parents "I have never once regretted any of my decisions."

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Depends on the rest of your party. If you have someone else that can debuff (dark Hawkeye) then you can go Valkyrie for buffs. If you don't, go Rune Maiden because it's way easier to buff yourself via items and skills than it is to debuff the enemy with them.

Valkyrie's CS is an AoE while Rune Maiden's is single target if you care about that.

Rune Maiden CS is a big circular AoE in this one.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I played a game with D/L Charlotte and didn’t like her at all. Her damage with summons was decent, but not great, healing was mostly irrelevant and her support was minimal. She gets good strength, but no good way to use it. I would play D/D Kevin, L/L Charlotte and any Angela. The team doesn’t support Angela really, but she’ll probably be fine anyway. Kevin benefits a lot from sabers and Attack Saber 2.

D/D Charlotte does a lot of summon damage, and breathes demonfire on enemies while going "Bleeeeeeeeh", so she's definitely superior.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 7, 2020

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

All magic-ish things are Int, including Jutsus, Summons, and Nomad spells. All traps and thrown items are Luck. Normal attacks are strength. Class Strikes are your combined Attack and Magic Attack.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

sigher posted:

The RNG nature of the ??? Seeds is bad and I'm surprised they kept it, and it sucks that the 4th class is locked to the end of the game where you barely get to use them.

I have 2 more Lil Cactus locations to find, but according to my map I've found him everywhere I can land... are there any locations I should double check to look for him that I could have easily missed?

Also if you've never been to a location it won't show up on your map. The only location that comes to mind that you never have to visit is the oasis town in the desert though. Well, besides some route specific areas that don't matter.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Somehow, every CS I get with Angela seems more useless than the last. Double Strike is decent, then Star Pummel was bad, then Hot Shot is also bad, but also enemies just walk out of it before it's done.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Legend of Mana just feels like a hodge podge of half-baked ideas, but the backgrounds at least are very pretty.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Actually there are almost no treasure chests or collectibles in the SNES game at all, except the loot you get from enemies. I've been replaying it with a friend of mine, and here at like 80% through the game, we've found maybe 3 chests.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Taear posted:

Yea for your spoiler above you called it prologue.

In other news does anyone ever really use their charge attacks? Towards the end of the game (as Angela) I kinda forgot it existed and even as Kevin it feels a bit underwhelming and not worth the bother.

Charge attacks are just for breaking armor off enemies pretty much. You also get 6% gauge in crystals, but you do a lot less damage than combos, so it doesn't seem worth it.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

It comes off to normal attacks eventually, but charge attacks (and class strikes) are much more effective at it. Other than a couple super beefy enemies at the end of the game, it's always knocked it off in one hit for me.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Except power attacks also break armor and give off CS gauge so it's just a slower and weaker way of doing it while also making you slow and vulnerable.

Nah, just testing it, charge attacks still do it way more efficiently. The combos do almost no damage, so you're not accomplishing anything building up to the power attack, and it still takes more power attacks to do it than charge attacks, so you're wasting significantly more time.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What is Angela's deal by the way? When she needs the hero King he's like "What the true when has a daughter? That explains everything" and she's like "what the hell are you talking about" and he's like "I'll tell you later, now isn't the time" but then this is never mentioned again as far as I can tell

If you're on the Dragon Lord route, the Darkshine Knight during his fight says something like "Hm? Could you be Richard's...?"

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

Riesz is...weird, but she has some fun combos and her summons look cool. I rarely used CS with her.

Charlotte has her summons which are fun to use against enemies to hold them up in place. I think I only ever used her CS once each with her to see what they looked like and they were very boring.

Riesz' with me playing as Fenrir Knight was amazing. She can get +15% CS per applied debuff, so every random encounter you just throw out 1 or 2 debuffs, have enough CS for her level 2 Aerial Lance, which absolutely kills almost every normal enemy, because Riesz' Class Strikes do tons of damage due to her combined physical and magical attack being huge.

As for Charlotte's CS being boring: her final dark one is probably my favorite in the game.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

AI will never use sabers no matter what.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Taear posted:

I feel sad that I didn't do Light with Angela because Ancient Curse definitely wasn't very good on very many boss fights. It's too easy to interrupt and MOST bosses just loving move out of the way anyway.

Worked great for me. You've just gotta time it for some of them. Biggest problem was the crimson wizard just teleporting all over the drat place.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Crystalgate posted:

By the way, is it a coincidence that Duran, Kevin and Angela had solo boss fights when obtaining their class 4 items while the rest had full party fights or is it difficulty based?

Coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It is certainly no coincidence that they picked her class with the least amount of clothing.

I had Fenrir Knight Riesz on my first playthrough, and laughed during her class 4 cutscene when she said something like "I have never regretted any decision I've made."