Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

gandlethorpe posted:

The next closest one with a speech issue would be snow valley girl Angela.

Seriously though, probably Riesz for buffs. Charlotte's dark path gives one of the best debuffs in the game. With those combined, dark Kevin will wreck face.

I'd make Charlotte a Bishop on the K/C path unless they made Turn Undead not work on all their late game bosses. Cause holy poo poo, 999 damage for 1 mp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jazerus posted:

legend is a little obtuse unless you dig into gamefaqs and i have seen negative opinions about it, but i'm not sure anyone at all actually hates secret or trials.

I think the general consensus of Secret of Mana is that the great sprite art and music are a plus, but the game itself is kind of a mess thanks to the SNES CD never existing. MAKE ME RUN UP THAT MOUNTAIN AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKER. I DARE YOU.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Okay where is the switch I need to hit in Ch 4 Nevarl Fortress? You'd think the bad guy would welcome me through the door because it's clearly a trap.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The good news is that in the remake, you seem to be able to... reset your class? Am I reading these options right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to beat Zenoa correctly. It has a special reaction to water magic but an ice coin is the only way to have that and hardly anybody will know to buy one.

You can kill the shapeshifters if you burn them down before they change shape but they seem to respawn instantly, so... not worth the effort.

I pounded him down but it mostly involved ignoring mechanics and letting Kevin whale on him with everybody else dead.

Hawkeye gets a water spell if you go Ninja with him

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I know they weren't going to change the plot much, but I was really hoping they'd do something with the stuff from the prequels. It would have been nice for someone to tell Hawkeye the girl he's crushing on is his aunt

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ChrisBTY posted:

Does this version of the game let you play with the 3rd classes for longer than the last 15% of the game?

Maybe a little bit? Getting seeds before the fourth Benevodon can be hard.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ASenileAnimal posted:

any trick to changing what you get from ??? seeds?

Nope, you can't save scum them anymore. What you get is determined when the seed drops now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And if you go to Class 4 with Kevin he has a solo boss fight so he'll outlevel you regardless. Best to make peace with it now.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ChrisBTY posted:

New Question: In NG+ do the enemies levels increase to meet you or is 90% of the game an utter triviality?

No, but if you switch to the three characters you didn't use, they'll be the default level, too.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Inflammatory posted:

so for the third class change, do i need to go to the sanctuary and use the statue or is there something in the postgame dungeon that can do it?

Gotta go back to the statue.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aren't Rogue spells based on Luck?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was. Unfortunately now you only get to see him hit the ground on his feet if you picked his as MC now

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mr. Locke posted:

The heavy implication is that Angela is the daughter of the True Queen and the Hero King. I don't think the game ever directly spells it out though but it alludes to it a couple times (Which is weird because in most other ways the game's pretty ham-fisted about every other twist-shaped plot point almost immediately, with only the Darkshine Knight being handled with any kind of tact.).

There's a prequel for the DS that ALSO refuses to come out and say that, but does add in a whole subplot where Flamekhan had another kid, who he disowns for being on the other side of the game's conflict. She has Hawkeye and apparently dies, so Flamekhan takes him in and tells him he's a random orphan he found. It's a weird decision.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Save it for your second playthrough. You'll have so much money at that point you won't care.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, it's pretty convoluted, especially since it never comes into play again. And don't forget the convenient way you get the squeaky hammer. Whatever, I love this game's goofy plot.

The thing I miss the most is that you can't use the hammer as an active item anymore, so you actually have to heal status effects instead of just using it twice really fast

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

lezard_valeth posted:

Wait, excuse me??? (kevin's path ending spoilers) the king of Ferolia actively helped the guys trying to destroy the world all for a secret test of character and we are letting him off the hook so easily??? like this is some goku gives cell a senzu bean level of bad parenting here, not to mention the earlier trauma of making your son believe he killed his pet. AND I didn't even get to kick his rear end????

You actually do get to kick his rear end. And then he says "Come back when you're stronger to fight for real" so there's definitely some weird poo poo going on

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Using Hawkeye I erased them with my fourth combo (the one that hits a bunch).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I assumed you smoked it and lost track of time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, if you were going to remake SoM, I think you should take the opportunity to remake all the stuff that got cut from the original. Then you can hype the hell out of it as "a classic game that is FINALLY getting the full game we never had!" But doing what they did was probably cheaper.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The original assets aren't floating around because they never got made. You'd need to go back and actually make those story beats that are missing, like the Dryad dungeon. That's why you'd do this with a game you think could make actual money and not a phone port you're halfassing

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You can revert everything but it requires a special item that's only available at the end of the game. For all intents and purposes, you pick one class and stick with it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I saved mine for the next game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trials of Mana: Yes, it was always this horny

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Depends, do you plan on using Dark Hawkeye or Charlotte?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the worst team is one with a shitload of redundancy. Something like LD Duran, LD Kevin and LL Charlotte, or DL Hawkeye, DD Riesz and DL Charlotte.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think Warrior Monk could be a really good hybrid support character on a team with MP hungry characters with good melee, like Nomad or Rogue. And Kevin is still Kevin, so he’s going to be doing a lot of damage regardless. Unfortunately healing just doesn’t really seem very important compared to just doing more damage.

I used WM for my first playthrough (Nightblade Hawk as lead with Star Lancer Riesz were the rest of my team) and it felt like a very solid team. Would recommend.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There is no point of no return in this game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Are you in your second playthrough already?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sigher posted:

So who the gently caress is Anise and how does she fit into the game at all? I don't recall any mention of her until the post-game and it's kinda strange she just appears and is like, "Yo I'm super evil, have nothing to do with anything else that's happened but come on and fight me."

She's an easter egg, think of her like if you were playing a Final Fantasy game and Zeromus popped up after you beat the game and asked to fight.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sigher posted:

I've never played an FF game so I don't get it.

Zeromus is a boss from one of the games in the series. That's really all there is to it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taear posted:

Is it my imagination or did the game have a lot of springy yellow things before the remake? They occupy quite a bit part of my memory of the game but you barely see them in this.

I also feel like the way you get the mallet to get to the Koropokkur is the biggest indicator this is a remake of an old game of anything else in it. It's just so easy and almost pointless, they might as well have Reisz's guys just hand it to you. I feel like if this was genuinely new there'd be a little quest beforehand.
Although I do appreciate that the Koropokkur village is so, so much better. It was clearly a place that they couldn't quite make "work" in the original.

There were some that got removed, but ally they usually did was shoot you up in the air so you could see some of the world map. Now that there's an actual world map you can open up, most of them lost their purpose.

Mr. Locke posted:

Heroes is just a bad game. FFXII: Revenant Wings is a more successful take on the RPG RTS strategy and if that's what you're hankering for, play that instead. The RTS parts are extremely basic and can be completed by anyone who can memorize a small number of Pokemon-style unit-counters-unit matchups and the few times Heroes tries to throw a wrinkle in that it doesn't make it HARD, it just makes it SLOW. SLOW-er, rather, since Slow is the default speed anything in Heroes happens at.

I think the only reason anyone would ever play it is if they absolutely loved the characters from Trials and, well... that's not exactly the game's strong point.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taear posted:

I kinda feel like SoM doesn't make you return to places as much as SK3 does.

Are you blocking out Sage Joch?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taear posted:

The actual upgrades are just "get the thing from the next town a little early" though like I mentioned. Still nothing exciting.
And I really don't remember running up to Joch that many times at all yet going through the same areas of SK3 is still present even in this version.

I went through and boiled down a walkthrough for you. Here's what happens in the game once you get Flammie.

Go up Joch's mountain
Go to the Palace of Darkness
Go up Joch's mountain
Go to the Gold Island
Go up Joch's mountain
Go to the Moon Palace
Go up Joch's moutain
Go to Tanisca
Go up Joch's mountain
Go to the Tree Palace

Out of the eight spirits in the game, four of them are obtained by running up the same mountain to talk to the same NPC. SD3 only sends you through the same dungeon twice, it definitely doesn't have the balls to ask you to traverse the same mountain, completely unchanged, five consecutive times.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Poque posted:

You don't have to do any of the first four

Is there any other way the game signposts you should go to these places?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Alxprit posted:

I think the balloon airship on the Nevarl side is probably goofier than the eagles carrying the beastmen. Like, it's like they heard the word "airship" and thought oh, I know exactly how to do that!

The part that makes Nevarl's airship so funny to me isn't even the balloons themselves, it's the way that the ship bounces up and down from them like it's attached by bungie cords.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taear posted:

Does SoM (assuming you mean secret of mana) count as a remake? Wasn't it just a remaster?

Generally, a remaster uses the original assets, but polished up. FFX is a really good example, they are using the same engine and models from 2001 but with much higher resolution textures. SoM, like SD3, was remade in a new engine.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taear posted:

Feels like they wasted their time since it looks and feels identical.

They also wasted their time because the SoM remake is a bad game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sapozhnik posted:

ehh, being too overt with the nostalgia-milking would be kind of tiresome.

It's one thing to create one (1) game with a deliberately retro aesthetic as a call-back to that period, but an FF6 remake should have inherent appeal and stand alone independently of the original, not be an explicit evocation of that one summer when I played this game as a carefree twelve year old kid with a bright and boundless future instead of a miserable bearded shut-in in his mid-30s living in neoliberal hell world. Or whatever.

One of the things that I like the most about FF6 is the art style of its world and characters, so I think it would be cool to see them use modern hardware to fully realize Amano's vision of weirdo machines, baroque architecture and everyone having 20000 trinkets on their clothes. On the other hand, I also don't think Square understands why FF6 is good. They'd probably make Cid dying mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

King Bahamut posted:

I’m playing through the game with my five year old and having a blast, but is there any part where it opens up and becomes slightly less linear? I just got Flammie and filled out the map and it seems like there really aren’t any side challenges, better shops, sequences to try differently etc. Should I just keep heading for the star at all times? Even “hidden” chests just cough up 2 candy

The part where you get Flammie is as non-linear as the game gets. The branching is really in the selection of characters and classes.