Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Gotten a good way into Trials of Mana. Started with Hawkeye, recruited Carlie and then Riesz. In the process of retaking Laurent with a class-changed party (Dark, Dark, and Light if you're wondering, and given the abilities of the characters, I should probably base my party around casting).

Riesz is going to get Star Lancer as her final class and Carlie will be going the Necromancer route (not going Warlock because I'm buying Specter's Eyes at the night market). Either of Hawkeye's final classes sound fun to me, whether multi-target nuker as Ninja-Master or single-target destruction god as Nightblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hm... so Hawk's jutsus other than Shuriken are keyed to Intelligence for attack despite being keyed to Dexterity as the prerequisite for learning them. Interesting.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Jazerus posted:

hawk definitely has the worst case of multiple stat dependence out of anybody, since he needs dex, int, and str for full effectiveness as a hybrid melee/caster

not that it's a big deal

For now, I'm gearing him towards being a caster, since I just need to open with his Fire Jutsu. I'll transition him down to more of a hybrid once I get the final class change.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Erpy posted:

It's not that big of a deal since Hawkeye has fairly stats, particularly the classes most dependent on those multiple factors. And if you primarily use ninja skills as debuffing tools, rather than offensive magic, the intelligence stat isn't even really relevant since the debuff effect is always the same no matter how high or low your intelligence.

I use them as both, since he's actually dealing some really good damage with them now.

Also took down my first Benevodon. Dangaard is nothing against the power of jutsus! :toot:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I always felt like the night market items were almost like cheating since using them invalidates a major dimension of the class choices. If you don’t have a healer, you can make up for it with moon saber or single target healing items. Of course anyone can play the game however they want — for me, ready access to those items makes my choices unimportant and therefore makes the game less fun. I’d be fine using them as rare consumables, though.

My last play through was with wanderer Hawk, vanadys Lise and necromancer Carly. That made for a really slow, painful mid game, but they stomped the last couple dungeons hilariously quickly. At the start of every fight, Hawk instantly charged Lise’s level 3 special, while Lise buffed her strength, then wiped the screen before the enemies could even move. Bosses were a little slower, but even wanderer does competent damage with buffs and debuffs and has access to lunatic to shave 20% HP off the boss right at the start, while Carly makes it impossible to die and can deal solid damage with ghost. Vanadys is no slouch as a physical attacker, either — easily stronger than wanderer before buffs and debuffs. If crits weren’t broken, the party would be even more powerful because of wanderer’s energy ball. Wanderer is definitely my favorite class. No overwhelming strengths, just this huge bag of weird tricks that can be applied to any situation. The one thing I really hope for from the remake is that they accelerate class changes so you play around 40% of the game in your final classes.

Ideal progression would be first class change around the Wind Stone and the final class progression around the time the Benevodons are released.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Erpy posted:

They appear to have actually axed the Dexterity stat entirely in the remake. In the character selection screen, the visible stats are Attack, Defense, Magic Attack, Magic Defense and Luck. It's obvious they're not trying to replicate all the old systems 1:1 but are setting up a new system to work with the new playing style.

Yeah. I believe you can dodge on command now which is why Dexterity is axed (well, and that you either hit with your attacks because the enemy is in range/in the AoE or you don't because they're not).

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m not sure how I feel about that. Hawk’s whole shtick is based on the Dex stat and that’s what makes him unique.

Of course Duran’s whole thing was shields and we all know how well that worked :v: at least that will presumably be fixed.

Most likely, Hawk's trap and Nightblade spells will go off of Attack.

(And if I remember correctly, it was Luck which was supposed to increase your ability to crit but that was bugged as well.)

EDIT: Oh, and about Duran, he's likely gonna get boosts to Defense with the shields now instead of Evade.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 21, 2019

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Erpy posted:

In terms of motivations, Riesz is one hell of a lot more like a classic JRPG hero than Duran. Riesz starts her journey in order to liberate and restore her torched kingdom, avenge her slain father and rescue her kidnapped brother. Duran starts his journey because he got humiliated in a fight and he needs to soothe his wounded ego. XD

I think this is generally why Duran was, and still is, marketed as the main hero of Trials: Character-wise, he contrasts extremely well with the two who preceded him.

(Also, particularly in regards to Randi, Duran doesn't get to wield the Mana Sword, but gets to use spells in the form of saber and healing magic, depending on the route you take him through.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Except if they're a werewolf of any kind, because holy poo poo you do not want to cast magic on werewolves.

Unless you have an option for silencing them: cast that first, THEN follow up with more magic.

(Debuffs can also go a long way to cripple them, though silencing them will always win out over debuffing them first if you have the option.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Duran/Kevin/Riesz: Strength > Vitality > Intelligence: Strength whenever you can, Vitality if you can't raise Strength, Intelligence if you can't raise either of the previous two. If you can't raise either of these three stats, raise Spirit.

Carlie: Spirit > Vitality > Intelligence: Spirit whenever you can, Vitality whenever you can't raise Spirit, Intelligence if you can't raise either of the previous two. If you can't raise any of these three stats, raise Strength.

Angela before 1st Class Change: Vitality > Strength > Intelligence: Vitality whenever you can, Strength when you can't raise Vitality, Intelligence whenever you can't raise either of the previous two or to get to the next benchmark for a new spell.

Angela after: Intelligence > Vitality > Spirit (Strength if going into her Dark Classes): Intelligence whenever you can, Vitality when you can't raise Int, Spirit when you can't raise either of the previous two. You could raise Strength instead of Spirit if you're going for Dark Angela and have someone else throwing Poto Oils or casting Heal Light since Angela only learns the base Holy Bolt spell as a light magic if you go with her Dark classes.

Hawk before 1st Class Change: Strength > Vitality > Intelligence: Strength whenever you can, Vitality if you can't raise Strength, Intelligence if you can't raise either of the previous two.

Hawk if Ranger: Strength > Vitality > Dexterity/Intelligence: Strength whenever you can, Vitality if you can't raise Strength, Agility to learn and strengthen your trap spells or Intelligence to strengthen magic defense and learn your status spells. You're required to put 2 points into both Dexterity and Intelligence to learn all your Ranger spells, so make sure you do that.

Hawk if Ninja: Dexterity > Vitality/Strength/Intelligence: Dexterity to learn your Ninja spells and strengthen Shuriken, Vitality to strengthen defense and gain some HP, Strength to strengthen your base physical attacks, or Intelligence to strengthen your Ninja spells that aren't Shuriken. Pick two of your secondaries alongside Dexterity and if you somehow can't raise either of your stats, raise the secondary stat you're neglecting instead.

Hawk if Wanderer: Intelligence/Strength > Vitality > Strength/Intelligence > Spirit: Intelligence and Strength raises your spell power with Poison Bubble and your base physical attacks respectively, and a point in both Intelligence and Spirit is required to learn all of Hawk's Wanderer spells. Once Intelligence or Strength is fully raised to max (requires two points into both), raise the other alongside Vitality, then shift to Vitality > the stat you haven't maxed yet of Strength or Intelligence > Spirit. Wanderer is Hawk's best class for Poto Oil use due to possessing the highest Spirit. One thing to take into consideration is that Wanderer is Hawk's weakest attack class both physically and magically, being just about entirely geared for Support. Thus, it might be for the best to neglect Strength entirely and focus on Vitality > Spirit > Intelligence in that order to maximize defensive stats, learn the spells you need to learn, and up the strength of his Poto Oils, or Vitality > Intelligence > Spirit if throwing Poto Oils isn't a need with your party. Hawk's Ranger spells are wasted in this class so Dexterity isn't a concern.

Hawk if Rogue: Dexterity > Vitality > Intelligence: Dexterity determines the damage of all your Rogue spells. Vitality and Intelligence for physical and magical defense alongside HP and MP boosts. Once Dexterity is filled or you can't raise any of these three stats, raise Spirit if Hawk is your healer (i.e. you lack someone with Heal Light, preferably multi-target, and are using Poto Oils) or Strength otherwise.

Hawk if Ninja Master: Dexterity > Vitality > Intelligence > Strength OR Strength > Vitality > Intelligence > Dexterity: Dexterity determines the damage of Shuriken, your most cost-effective spell. Vitality raises HP and physical defense. Intelligence raises the strength of your other spells, magical defense, and MP. Strength raises your base physical attack power. The stat priorities outlined is for whether you want to be either a group-specialized caster or mainly a multi-target debuffer, and as always you want to raise the first stat whenever you can, the second stat if you can't raise the first stat, the third stat if you can't raise either, and the fourth stat if all the previous three are somehow unavailable to you.

Hawk if Nightblade: Strength > Vitality > Intelligence > Dexterity OR Strength > Dexterity > Vitality > Intelligence: Strength determines his base physical damage & Nightblade is Hawk's best class if you want to go physical due to the highest Strength max stat + FST. Dexterity determines the power of the Nightblade spells (that includes Black Rain) & Shuriken. Vitality provides boosts to HP and physical defense. Intelligence provides power to Ninja spells that aren't Shuriken (though you're not using those spells for damage if you're going Nightblade), magical defense, and boosts MP.

On a side note, as a rule, if you already have the equipment and Vitality needed to reach 300 physical defense (only possible around endgame), then Vitality becomes considerably less important to raise compared to Strength, Intelligence, and Spirit (and Dexterity if you're Hawkeye in a non-Wanderer class). This is mainly because Vitality at that point provides only a paltry raise in HP by 1 or 2 points compared to boosting the offensive power of your attacks and spells, or the increase in magic defense in Intelligence and Spirit's case: Defense against light spells and summons for Spirit, everything else for Intelligence.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hawkeye's harem hahaha

And of course they opened with the scene that happens when Hawkeye is not in your party, but Riesz is.

On a more serious matter, remake is looking to be extremely fun and different enough from the original game (shame they don't show ). I'm hype as hell for the rest of the Benevodon fights.

It's also gonna be interesting to see how neat fighting the final bosses will be.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oh sweet mama these illustrations are good:

https://twitter.com/ManaGame/status/1194634126659162113

Third tier class renders are also up on the site and they look amazing:

https://twitter.com/salsacaek/status/1194663044242169859

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

i know im alittle late here but HOLY poo poo SD3 REMAKE i had no idea this was even happening im hyped as hell.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You’re lucky, the rest of us have been waiting since June you only have to wait like two months.

The Nintendo 2019 E3 really was hype... :allears:

Of course, I bought the Collection of Mana so that helped stave off the pain.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

"Hmm this music, isn't this Mana? Does this mean we're finally getting the Mana Collection brought overseas? Wow so we're finally gonna have SD3 officially in English, that's pretty cooWAIT IS THAT DURAN IN 3D WHAT'S GOING ON :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: AAAAAAA"

To think that was barely half a year ago :allears:

"Holy poo poo! This is a remake! And it looks... good! :eyepop:"

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 14, 2020

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Most important thing: It does not look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21EWY94yNxs

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

These changes looks so good.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bean posted:

I'm playing Trials with Rietz, Hawkeye and Angela. What should I be doing on the stat level up increases? I've tried to even everyone's stats out a bit but that feels like a dumb idea.

Earlygame:

Level Strength, Stamina (or was it Constitution?), and Intelligence in that order. Those three stats determine physical damage, physical defence and HP, and magic attack AND magic defence for the usual magic. If you can't level either of those, increase Spirit (magic attack and magic defence against Spirit-based magic; this includes all your healing spells, your light-elemental spells, and summon spells; as well as items based on those spells).

After the first class change, you usually need to put points into Agility for Hawkeye in order to learn his spells (Agility also increases the damage for most of his spells, with the exception of certain ones) He has the highest Agility and Luck caps which help with dodging chest traps and getting good items so he will be the one you need to switch to when you open chests. His biggest problem thusly is that he wants to raise a lot of stats, but if you go with the Dark classes, you basically won't need to raise Spirit at the very least. Angela should shift towards Intelligence > Stamina > Spirit to increase her spell power (and Strength when you can't do either of them, Hawkeye covers Agility and Luck so there's no need to raise those once you've class changed). Riesz should shift to Strength > Stamina > Spirit until she learns her buffs/debuffs, then shift towards Strength > Stamina > Intelligence (and Spirit if you can't do either of those three) after class changing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Can't wait to get my hands on this game. :eyepop:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Even though shields didn't do anything making him a Lord was good because you could get multi-target heal light and take someone else in place of Carlie.

This kind of crept up on me with big name games like Doom and RE3 Remake being released in the coming months. I've played through SD3 on the SNES probably about 50 times over the years and can't wait to go into this with my old Death Hand/Necromancer/Star Lancer murder squad. They can even make it so Energy Ball actually works this time.

Wasn't it the Lord class who also had the status immunity shield? Considering that part actually did work, it made it the best shield.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

We've got some samples of the Trials of Mana Remake OST and holy poo poo it slaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a1AwfIztrU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

This was from a few days ago, but I thought class balance was actually very good, overall. Which classes did you think suffered? I certainly haven't played every class, but even the bad ones, like Duran's paladin, still have a lot to contribute (healing and a tier 3 full screen tech) to a well built team. For example, taken individually, vanadis looks bad and wanderer looks bad, but vanadis and wanderer together instantly kill every enemy except for bosses almost before they can even move. There are certainly balance problems in the game, like Kevin's tier-1 tech being far more powerful than it has any right to be, but I think every final class can do really well if it's used in the right team. Some of the tier 2 classes are clearly worse, though. Wanderer, for example, is one of my favorite designs, thematically and practically, in any class based system, but ranger is just miserable compared to ninja.

Actually, the bugs in the original mostly helped game balance. Duran's light classes got screwed, but Hawk and Kevin were already on the edge of overpowered, and if things like critical hits, dex and energy ball worked, they would be insane.

I seriously hope so, magic was so much more of a pain to use than attacking that my casters always performed way below their potential.

Wanderer I believe also has a spell that deals about the same damage as Angela's Lv. 3 spells for practically no MP cost. (Just so long as you, you know, don't cast it on undead creatures.)

Generally, I feel Hawkeye's Light class, and Carlie's Dark class straight up trades midgame power in exchange for lategame power (AKA when you class change to your final class).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think that must be rogue, which is attack spell oriented class for Hawkeye. I've never actually played that one, though, so I can't say how good the spells are. Wanderer has very limited damage options, though lunatic is great against bosses. The main draw is aura wave, lunatic, effectively unlimited MP, and a big bag of fun, if not extremely effective tricks. I guess there's half vanish, too, for damage, but it doesn't work on bosses and sleep flower or aura wave seem like better tools against regular enemies.

I would agree light Hawkeye and dark Carlie trade midgame for lategame power, but it's a lovely trade. Their final light and dark classes respectively are also no jokes. In fact, even though it's worlds better than ranger except in a few team compositions, wanderer is still also almost certainly Hawkeye's weakest class. And the final class change comes so late that the trade really doesn't seem worth it at all.

I wonder how important healing will be in the remake. It would be kind of fun to go for an all out offensive party if you could manage without healing.

No. It's wanderer. Poison Bubble has the same power as Angela's Lv. 3s so it will do some decent magic damage even accounting for Hawkeye's much lower Intelligence. It's practically infinite magic damage so long as you're not using it on undead enemies.

Rogue gets something similiar though that keys off of Hawkeye's naturally higher Agility stat despite it's much lower base damage. (And alongside spells that are more natural fits for a single-target casting DPSer.)

Also, I'd argue the tradeoff is worth it in Dark Charlotte's case because her Dark/Light and Dark/Dark classes pack one hell of a punch.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought Hawkeye’s trap spells ran off of his AGL stat, which was why he’s the only character for whom that stat matters?

You're not wrong? Hawkeye's trap spells, Rogue spells, Shuriken, and Nightblade spells keys off of Agility. The rest of his attack spells keys off of Intelligence though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

So poison bubble isn’t any of those I guess? I was confused by that post.

Poison Bubble keys off of Intelligence, which is one of Wanderer's weaker stats, but it's base damage without making use of a stat is as good as Angela's Lv. 3 spells. Since it also heals MP based on the damage it does (so long as the target isn't undead), Hawkeye essentially has a source of infinite magic damage (and is also able to liberally cast his buffs should he need to do so) with a decent baseline.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Putting points into Angela's Strength for emphasis on fire magic :aaaaa:

This is so fuckin' wild, what the hell.

Putting points into her stamina as well to emphasize Earth magic is also neat.

Now, to figure out which ones of Int and Spirit are for Ice and Wind magic.

EDIT: Also, the big take from this is that it's seemingly confirmed that we're expected to class change into our final classes by the time we're taking down the Benevodons which owns!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Sacrifice Part 3 loving slaps oh my God! :allears:

I wonder if the new highest tier classes combines the techniques of the ones that came before them.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bell_ posted:

I'm more hype for Zable Fahr than even the Dragon Emperor.

Zable Fahr and Dark Lich are the ones I'm really hype for.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Hopefully I can have multiple save files in the demo so I can see all of the various intro cutscenes for everyone and perhaps I'll make my decision on what my first full playthrough party will be then.

About that, I watched a video of someone playing the demo early; I think it's possible to choose whether you want to play through the character's intro or not when you meet them.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Nice! That's the one that's not naked too so that'll lessen the amount of Looks I get from the SO while playing. I'll have to do some research on the other two but it's a good start. Thanks for the tip!

Also we've seen Light and Dark Class 4s, does that mean there won't be a mixed option? Or rather I guess that just means they'll be the same whether you come from Light/Dark, Dark/Light, or DD/LL. It would be kinda crazy to make options for every possible path.

I wonder if the T4 classes could potentially let you get every skill/spell from the preceding classes of that path.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I abandoned my first playthrough with the only party composition that can never have a healer (Lise/Hawke/Angela), because I was not good at games back then. When I revisited the game, I could easily beat it without a healer, but it's more busywork to stock up on items, shuffle them between your active inventory and your nearly unlimited stash, and backtracking to Byzel for the better healing items. It's much less hassle to have your healer top off your party after a fight, and then top off your healer's mana. I'd recommend taking a healer for your first playthrough.

Edit: wtf, Fenrir Knight. Lise doesn't deserve this!

Edit2: Is there any outfit for Angela that's not stripperific?

Not really. The class costumes this time are based on the actual official artwork for the game instead of you needing to imagine it based on the recolors with the profile pic.

But you can change costumes into whatever class you've unlocked so it's no big deal.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm in love with this demo. For those who know the game, does comp actually matter or can I play on normal with whatever anime wunderkinds I prefer?

The main thing party composition affects is which faction and which final boss you're going to fight at the end, as well as what intros you're able to play, some story cutscenes, a midgame dungeon, and two endgame dungeons that come straight after one another. In the original, two characters also had an optional superboss assigned to them, but I don't think this will necessarily be true in the remake (and judging from the trailers, we're getting a postgame superboss for everyone as well).

It also matters a bit due to what kind of moves and spells your party members learn, but with usage of the Black Market, this is largely mitigated (and since the remake is significantly different from the original anyways, even veterans of SD3 cannot strictly apply their old strategies and expect them to work in the same way).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hawkeye's Trap/Projectile spells (or is it moves now) now keys off of Luck. I tested this by having Hawkeye and Riesz use the Shuriken item against Golbins and Mushbooms in the area right before Fullmetal Hugger and Hawk was constantly doing 5 points more damage with them on average.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Agree 100%. I have a video game OST playlist, and while there are the usual suspects of WoW, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, etc., the game with the most entries on the list is SD3. I'm supremely happy how they handled the music. I became a bit misty eyed during the intro upon first hearing the music.

There are so many things to like about the remake. I noticed in the help popup during the loading screens, when they talk about silver and gold goddess statues, that they mention a special goddess statue with further powers. And it's immediately clear which statue they're talking about. I guess you will just be allowed to do the second class change at the Mana Holyland regardless of level (provided you have the correct item). They did say you would be able to get that class change before fighting the Benevodons.

Considering Benevodons are something like Lv. 40-50 boss encounters now and the level requirements for class changing hasn't been mucked with (as confirmed by the library in Duran's intro), I do think you're clearly supposed to class change around that time, yeah.

It's also possible that they're talking about being able to respec your characters.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

From what I've heard, ??? seeds can be found in Treasure Chests so I'd suspect you're going to find them once you get to around the Mana Sanctuary or directly thereafter on normal playthroughs.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Are they still going to have gacha / RNG methods to get the item you need?

Most likely, though cheating the RNG will likely be possible.

Roobanguy posted:

As a dirty pc player who can’t get a demo, how does Duran play? He was always the most boring physical attacker in the original.

I like him. His attack strings are slow and he can't dodge out of attacks as good as Hawkeye can, but he's sturdy and all of his attacks are useful at what they do and hit hard. He's your designated tank this time around compared to Kevin being your all-out damage dealer.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

timp posted:

Here's a link to that if anyone wants to take it: https://trialsofmanaquiz.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/quiz

e: I got Duran. Nice, I'll take that :)

I got Angela.

Well, she fits given that I prefer spellcasters in JRPGs. It's why I'm taking Hawkeye since he's the closest thing the game's got to a male spellcaster.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I'm curious to see how Reisz's later classes go since she seems set up to be solidly average stat-wise while everyone else specializes in one of the five stats. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some gimmick specializing like the victory heal to justify her being an all-rounder.

Riesz seems really underwhelming as a fighter right now (besides her Class Strike). But class changing will change the attack string and power attacks and she'll get her buffs and debuffs (and summon when she gets to 3rd tier) so she's probably the one person who'll gain the most benefit from changing her class.

Generally, Riesz's abilities seems set her up to be a support fighter; lay down the buffs or debuff your enemies, then go to town (and maybe use your summon for mobs or to pile on a status effect if you've learned it), recasting the buffs if needed. This was all that was needed to make her shine in the original because stat buffs and debuffs was extremely overpowered. Her tier 3 classes did make her rather specialized within certain things though, so there's potential for her to be more than that.

We just... gotta find out how this time. Star Lancer Riesz needs to put points into both Intellect and Spirit to access all of her spells because her stat buffs and upgrades are on the Spirit path and Seraph is on the Intellect path (and this set-up is likely true for the rest of her classes) and needs Strength to get her Class Strikes. This means she's actually pretty intensive in terms of stat raising this time around.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Incidentally, someone has found the Star Lancer Training tree and judging by it... boy does Star Lancer Riesz want to raise multiple Training stats now.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Shoenin posted:

they have?
any chance of showing it?

Here you go:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Does the demo have a basics guide somewhere that explains mechanical things like exactly what STR/INT/etc do?

Some speculations (and some confirmed things)

Atk: Strength + Weapon bonus (Likely determines most of your physical attacks like normal attacks, power attacks, charge attacks, and class strikes)
Def: Stamina + Equipment bonus (Defends against anything that is physical attacks)
Mgc Atk: Intellect + Weapon bonus (Determines the power of offensive spells)
Mgc Def: Spirit + Equipment bonus (Determines your defense against offensive spells)
Luck (Determines how often you crit + Possibly item drops + the power of Trap/Projectile spells AKA most of Hawkeye's spells)

In addition, Spirit also determines how strong magical healing is.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Hawkeye’s strong attack is fast enough and has enough reach that you can reliably use it without being hit. It’s great charged up, too. Kevin’s light attack out of running is a slide with amazing reach, and his strong attack combo out of it is quite fast, so he can combo and knock down most of the demo enemies without letting them react. Otherwise jabbing with light attacks and baiting counters seems to be the best strategy. Most of the enemies seem to pause for a bit after attacking, so if you dodge an attack, you can counter it with a combo. The zombies seemed much harder to stagger than other enemies, and there were some shielded enemies too, so it’s not unreasonable to expect more diversity to combat later, even not taking magic into account.

Is it confirmed that class changing will change attack chains? That could really add a lot of diversity beyond what the class system already adds.

I have faith that the game has the potential to be sufficiently challenging if the enemies do enough damage. The fight with the four goblins in the cavern can be pretty hectic if you’re trying to avoid getting hit, and could be tough if those axes were actually threatening. Of course consumables will almost certainly break the difficulty curve no matter what, but that’s par for the course.

That starlancer skill tree is a little worrying, though without knowing how many training points we’ll be getting it’s impossible to know how limiting that will be. It’s possible that we’ll be able to max out all stats and get all the skills pretty naturally by the end of the game. Still, my initial reaction is that the design team thought Kevin wasn’t overpowered enough in the original. Since his dark classes only get one spell, they go pick that up then spend the rest of the time strictly building strength and stamina (or luck, if crits are a solid way of increasing damage). I think the biggest takeaway from that tree, though, is that we’re likely going to be able to max out all stats in one class by the end of the game. In fact, we might be expected to use respec to level up in multiple different classes for more stat boosts and chain abilities.

I really want to bring Charlotte for necromancer, but I don’t know if I can do it. I think I’ll just have to mute the voices or set the audio to Japanese no matter what, though.

You have about 60 points at Lv. 45. I'd say we should be able to get enough points to comfortably max out at least three of your stat trees (totaling about 99 points) and dip a fair amount into one other at Lv. 99, but I don't think Star Lancer Riesz can be everything at once without a fair amount of sacrifices: The Star Lancer spells and upgrades to those spells lie on the Intellect and Spirit paths, but the stat upgrades she can get pushes her towards attacking physically since Star Lancer gives the most bonuses to her physical stats and Riesz's Intellect is her worst ranked stat coupled with unimpressive boosts to that stat as a Star Lancer should you decide to fully invest in training her Intellect.

I think most Star Lancer players will invest heavily into the Spirit tree to nab the Stat boost spells and the upgrades and about as much into Intellect as they can to get Seraph for the silence, then finally pump as many points as they can into Strength so that she'll be able to maximize her physical damage, or into Stamina to keep her durable. At this point, Riesz will have to sacrifice physical attack or her physical defense if she wants to max her potential in either of them (and to get the passive abilities present in those trees), or cut her potential in both to gain as much as she can from both trees.

And unless her chain abilities on the Luck tree are really good (or you're running certain teams that benefit more from those abilities enough to make the STR or STA tree a lower priority), she should put as few ability points as possible into the Luck tree.

And yes, class changing will expand upon your characters' combos. This has a lot to say for Riesz since her normal attacks are... probably the worst of the entire cast right now.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Thanks for the detailed answer. Did spirit determine the power of summons and holy damage spells in the original or was that a mistake in some of the guides? Also are there some articles or text resources on spoiled mechanics so far, or another forum somewhere with good information? I want to know more, but I have no patience for videos.

Yes. It determined the power of holy spells and summons in the original, as well as the defense against those spells (Intellect determined the defense against all other spells that dealt magic damage). So this is an example of the developers streamlining how stats work, making it more intuitive to figure out.

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo, I wonder if this was why people thought I was crazy when I said the controls felt sluggish/clunky outside of combat. I'm gonna download it on PC and see how it feels there.

edit: lmao yep, it's the Switch version. Hawkeye still feels a little "slidey" when turning out of combat and not sprinting, but it's miles better than it felt on Switch.

Is it known yet how easy it is to reset points? I get the feeling my priorities early on are going to differ a lot from what I want once I start getting to 2nd/3rd classes.

I think you're going to be able to reset points when you want once you enter the Mana Sanctuary. If nothing else, this will allow for experimentation.

EDIT: Took a bit of time to extrapolate the stats for Lv. 45 Star Lancer Riesz along with the equipment at the time:

HP: 794
MP: 93
Strength: 94
Stamina: 94
Intellect: 91
Spirit: 98
Luck: 107

Stargazer: +93 ATK, +88 MGC ATK

Stardust Helm: +23 DEF, +14 MGC DEF
Polaris Armor: +57 DEF, +54 MGC DEF
Draupnir: +16 DEF, +26 MGC DEF

Total Armor Bonuses: +96 DEF, +94 MGC DEF

From there, the hardcap on how high a Lv. 45 Star Lancer Riesz stats can go if she fully invests in the respective training stat is:

Strength: 94+40=134
Stamina: 94+40=134
Intellect: 91+20=111
Spirit: 98+20=118
Luck: 107+20=127

And these would play into ATK, DEF, MGC ATK, and MGC DEF in this way:

Highest possible ATK at Lv. 45: 227
Highest possible DEF at Lv. 45: 230
Highest possible MGC ATK at Lv. 45: 199
Highest possible MGC DEF at Lv. 45: 212

Oh yeah, and here's Lv. 45 Runemaster Angela and Divine Fist Kevin statlines, but only with how high up their Strength and Stamina stats can go:

Angela

HP: 711
MP: 118
Strength: 79
Stamina: 76
Intellect: 116
Spirit: 104
Luck: 91

Rune Staff: +74 ATK, +128 MGC ATK

Rune Veil: +20 DEF, +15 MGC DEF
Rune Coat: +41 DEF, +57 MGC DEF
Blaze Barette: +11 DEF, +27 MGC DEF

Total Armor Bonuses: +72 DEF, +99 MGC DEF

Training Limits (Strength and Stamina only):

Strength: 79+20=99
Stamina: 76+20=96

Highest possible ATK at Lv. 45: 173
Highest possible DEF at Lv. 45: 168
Highest possible MGC ATK at Lv. 45 (without Training stats): 244
Highest possible MGC DEF at Lv. 45 (without Training stats): 203

Kevin

HP: 818
MP: 81
Strength: 119
Stamina: 78
Intellect: 82
Spirit: 94
Luck: 107

Spiral Claw: +114 ATK, +76 MGC ATK

Ivory Scarf: +20 DEF, +14 MGC DEF
Byakko Attire: +50 DEF, +55 MGC DEF
Beryl Brace: +14 DEF, +25 MGC DEF

Total Armor Bonuses: +84 DEF, +94 MGC DEF

Training Limits (Strength and Stamina only):

Strength: 119+40=159
Stamina: 78+20=98

Highest possible ATK at Lv. 45: 283
Highest possible DEF at Lv. 45: 182
Highest possible MGC ATK at Lv. 45 (without Training stats): 158
Highest possible MGC DEF at Lv. 45 (without Training stats): 188

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

MH Knights posted:

So do Stamina and Intellect affect how much your HP and MP respectively go up each level or do they only go up a set amount each level?

Set amount, but certain characters get to put points into Stamina and Spirit trees to gain HP or MP boosts.