Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Nomad is definitely not top-tier, but I don’t think he deserves the bad rap that he gets either. Sure, a lot of his skill set is useless, but the parts that work actually work pretty well. Judging by skills, since I don’t know the raw stat values of all the classes, he’s the best set up to deal melee damage of any of Hawkeye’s classes because of Pinpoint 2, Moon Energy and Critical Damage. Hawkeye will never be able to compete with Duran or Kevin in melee, but Nomad supports those classes with Attack Up All 2 and does solid damage himself.

It’s easy to look at Poison Bubble and think it sucks compared to Grumpkin and the Rogue kit, but it has some solid advantages. Since it’s a spell, rather than a trap, it can be boosted with stat manipulation spells. It has reasonable AoE, is pretty cheap, benefits from Nomad’s crit bonuses and triggers Special Effect on it’s own damage. As long as normal enemies aren’t shielded or immune, Nomad can simply tear them to pieces with spell spam.

If Lunatique works like in the original, Nomad also accounts for 20% of your team’s damage against bosses automatically.

The problem is that while he has versatile options against bosses and normal encounters, he’s not overwhelmingly strong at any one thing and requires support from other characters to shine while only contributing niche support himself. I still think Nomad could be very good on the right team, though, particularly depending on Nature Aura’s interaction with certain passives.

Also, crystalline is actually pretty cool if you bind it to a hotkey, and have some way to generate enough mp to spam it. It has a short enough cast time that you can use it as an active parry with a practically infinite timing window.

It's basically "masterful kill" from dragon's dogma, that allows you to move and fight while waiting for the enemy attack to land, but doesn't deal damage on it's own. Wall is probably even better with it's damage reflection when used like this, but I don't have enough system mastery regarding enemy attacks to be able to reliably identify which enemies/attacks outside of the literal wizard enemies it would effective to use against.

Though my first team with hawkeye in it was on my new game+ playthrough, so I was feeding my crystalline spam fueled invulnerability with obsidian power. As such, I don't know how viable that is with just the less op mana recovery tools the game gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
One thing I'm really conflicted about is how there's way too many passive damage boost abilities with really easy conditionals. It works fine on the first play through when your ability menu isn't filled with npc and inherited endgame character chain abilities and it's possible to stack +damage and still leave room for secodary gimmick abilities. But on my new game+ playthrough both my Hawkeye and Edelfrei Duran just ignored all of their character gimmicks completely and my ability setup for both of them ended up as one mp and cs generator, broken lines for def down, the party wide attack boosts and the rest just all in on stacked +25-40% damage/crit chance/crit damage abilities.

Like my endgame Edelfrei Duran had no room for attack saber or weak point or guard saber since I had enough +damage abilities with easier conditionals that it was more optimal to just stack those and play him like a duelist than faffing about with saber magic beyond the basic level. My Nomad Hawkeye was similar, with a heavier focus on +crit stuff than +attack, but again no room for toxic or enhanced effect, or anything really interesting, since bosses are status immune, and trash mobs died just fine to less fiddly damage boosts.

On my third playthrough I decided to completely ignore every ability that did nothing interesing except boost damage, and then I had the opposite problem of having a hard time finding anything useful that wasn't just some way of boosting damage. And toxic and enhanced effect proved useless again, since poison is a boring useless status effect that does basically nothing but enable enhanced effect, which is just a big damage boost against trash that's vulnerable against status effects and dies to a single combo from an endgame character anyways. The only way that I could find anything interesting to slot into my abilities was keeping both lucky finds slotted at all times and to go all in on cs generation and stat up/down modifier effects like inherited hard ricochet and stat down resistance all and so on.

I think the game could have benefited from cutting the tier 1 and tier 3 versions of every damage boost ability, or not allowing you to stack different tiers of the same ability on the same character. That way you could maybe actually have interesting endgame builds that are not just mp/cs generator and +maximum damage (maybe with a conditional that is just passively always true) all the time.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That’s my opinion as well. The systems completely break down in NG+ on more than one level, but that’s the fault of NG+ not being designed to accommodate them.

I think they could just block inheritance of the silliest chain abilities and prevent weak enemies from giving experience (ideally on a curve). Balancing the game to be harder in general without turning it into a slog for most parties or making the AI a horrible liability won’t be trivial, though, even before NG+.

I'm just grousing that there's all these abilities with actually flavourful conditionals that say something about the character and the class and require some minimal thought to apply and then there's never any need to use them.

Like to go back to Edelfrei, even in a vacuum, before even getting to class 4 or poaching from other characters or npc's it has acess to broken lines, offensive stance, concentrate and flourish, which are just always on and boost damage against everyone.

And that's 4 out of your six ability slots used leaving you with two and then you have to choose between actually investing in the saber magic gimmick of the class or getting some utility abilities like some kind of status effect protection ability or some kind of mp booster so you don't have to ration your saber casts.

And getting to class 4 makes things worse, because you get two new ability slots and three new easy passive damage boosters in rage 2, flourish 2 and concentrate 2, leaving you with 1 discretionary ability slot to use for something else. Oh and wound 2 which is also an easy damage booster, but requires slightly more effort to use since it only applies to power attacks.

And those all have equal or bigger percentage bonuses than attack saber 2's 25% and are on the str or luck trees which just passively boost damage, so why wouldn't you pick the damage boosters that cost no mp and require no elemental resistance/absorption avoidance and are just always on instead of attack saber and fraction and weak point and actually invest abilities into the mechanic the class is supposedly meant to specialize on. You can just use the baseline unmodified saber spells to hit weaknesses with your general purpose damage boosters instead.

And if you decide that you don't care about optimal damage after all and are just going to pick interesting abilities for fun, you realize that most of the abilites with interesting conditionals and synergies are also damage boosters, just fiddlier to apply than the general purpose ones without being sufficiently more powerful to be worth picking over them and the illusion of them actually being interestring shatters.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Is there a guide for character skills yet? Google just brings up the usual gaming journalism shitheaps that make guide pages long before they actually have any information. I'm mostly curious about resetting a couple characters from class 4 if the other class 3s would be better.

Also, finished my Hard NG+ main story with Hawkeye/Kevin/Charlotte at 90 and facerolled black rabite after getting class 4. :v:

I've been using these. There's links to the other characters near the top of the page, I don't know if they have an index. And I'm not sure how much I agree with their analysis, but the ability lists are complete for every character.

https://brightrockmedia.com/2020/04/27/trials-of-mana-kevin-classes-guide-2/

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Taear posted:

Bizzarely I came here to say the exact same thing! Proper weird

So I'm doing the Angela post game fight. I've not had any problem with any fight in the entire game but Angela's double is absolutely SMASHING me up because at no point can I stand still or it kills me.
What the hell am I meant to do, do I need loads of resistance gear or something?

Edit: this fight loving sucks, I'm glad none of the fights in the regular game were like this. Dodging out of her attack when it chases me is infuriating

I ended up respeccing for that fight on my first playthrough. Just rearranged my trainings so I could slot every magic defense and general purpose damage reduction skill I could get and face tanked my way through what I couldn't dodge while chugging healing items. Probably the only fight in the game, where stacking defensive skills is better than stacking offense.

I found that stacking Angela's chance to nullify enemy magic skills useful, just having the chance to randomly nosell some of her spells is surprisingly useful as a second chance when failing to dodge one. Similarily having one of the skills to improve stagger resistance was useful for being able to take a lesser spell to the chin while charging ancient curse and not get interrupted. I just kept dodging the ton annihilation while making only a token effort to dodge the lesser spells, trading health for opprtunities to spam ancient curse, and healed through the damage I took afterwards.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Taear posted:

I mean this is effectively what AI light angela did to me - Ancient Curse takes loving ages to cast so you can't use it against her pretty much.

Yes you can, just slot a good stagger resistance ability and stack magic defense abilities and you can wade right through anything except ton annihilation while charging ancient curse and chow down on chocolate afterwards while she gets wrecked by meteors. Angela is pretty great at facetanking magic damage if specifically specced for it.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Maybe it is an ancient city long dead and the king and Duran's dad also got there via magic timetravel bullshit?

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

orcane posted:

Someone made this:

I took a screenshot of the full map and wanted to make my own, but :effort:

Surprisingly, the classic "In a maze, always go left" works. If you follow that route, it takes you through almost every platform, and past the start once. You can shorten it a lot if you go right once, then always left instead. Both routes also take you to the chest.

It's actually somewhat cleverly designed, for a teleporter maze anyways, since they bothered making the classic non-teleport maze solving tricks work in a teleporter maze, instead of making doing that cause you to get stuck in a loop or something.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
The earliest enemies I've been able to farm ??? seeds from were the blue demons (Wormwoods?) that are guarding the Nevarl hideout, when you're off to hand over the sword of mana to Belladonna on the Hawkeye/Riesz route. You might need a level 5 seed planter and both lucky finds equipped to get decent rates though, I did it on new game+, so I don't know how feasible it is on first playthrough. I'm not sure if the other routes have seed dropping enemies on their respective Faerie rescue missions.

By the way, you can't class change if you don't have Faerie in the "party", I tried to check if I could tier Riesz up to class 3 between Faerie getting snatched and handing over the sword to Belladonna and got a "You need Faerie to class change" message. (My imported seeds from the previous playthrough hadn't rolled the item I wanted for her.)