Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I decided to play with Riesz, Hawkeye and Charlotte because that was my first Seiken Densetsu 3 party. My plan is to go Starlancer, Ninja Master and one of Charlotte's light classes.

So far the game seems fun. I would not call it awesome, but I am having a good time and definitely approve of this remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Cant seem to savescum the seed into the class item you want meh.

Also anyone figure out how to reset the classes to pick a different branch?
I know that in Seiken Densetsu 3, you can't just reload and try again, you will get the same seeds if you do so. You have to go and fight some enemies or in other ways jog the RNG.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I've got Undine and so far, the only major challenge was Zehnoa. It would have been easier if you fought it after obtaining Undine, but in future playtroughts, I'll know to stock up on water/ice items. Second most challenging fight was the tripple machine golems. The pattern seems to be that bosses are challenging if they overlap red zones so that the AI doesn't know how to dodge them.

Anyway, the gameplay received a huge update from the original, but the story less so. Individual cutscenes have been updated to make more sense and better conform to modern storytelling, but the overall problem of "the villains just mind control everyone" and other overlaying problems remains. The mind control can be used effectively, Mass Effect did so. However, in this game, the mind control seems to mostly serve to absolve everyone of guilt and to make the writing easier rather than setting up a horrifying villain.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I can see Angela putting her DD outfit on while I can't see Riesz doing the same with hers.

Anyway, class 3 unlocked for all and the game turned into a joke. Let's see if the game gets harder once it hits the point where it assumes everyone has their final class. I suspect that's not the case though.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Try getting into a fight before opening the ??? seed chest. That may be necessary to jog the RNG. It worked for me, but me getting the same results when I didn't do it may just have been a coincidence.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I finished with Riesz, Hawkeye and Charlotte and is now starting a new play-trough with Duran, Kevin and Angela. Apparently humans were lovely against the beastmen. I'm thinking of al the nations in this game and I'm drawing a blank on who would discriminate against them. The snowy one is the most likely candidate if we assume that even unmindcontrolled, they aren't as goody goody as most of the rest. Come to think of it, the beastmen are the biggest assholes without mind controll.

Anyway, I think this remake has merits, but it's also still held back by trying to be faithful to the original. A lot of elements, like Riesz stat up and stat down +near infinite healing, seems more geared towards a battle system based on getting better numbers than the enemies rather than an action game. Heck, the whole skill system seem out of sync with the action battles. There was very little they could do with the story as well, individual scenes can be improved, but not the overall storyline.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

jokes posted:

I don’t know the math but it appears that Angela’s heart-kiss thing (the class strike) is so much more powerful than Duran’s class strikes.
While I don't know the math either, class strikes are based on the sum of attack and magic attack, so it's not that strange if Angela's exceeds Duran's.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I've beaten the game with all six character now. I do not see myself doing Anise's Stockade ever again.

The game is way too offense oriented. I see no problem with allowing you to go heavily into offense, but it feels like that the game punishes other approaches. I usually had an easier time with Duran, Kevin and Angela than with the other three, despite playing a harder difficulty with the first mentioned three and having access to stat down, multi-target stat up and Charlotte's healing with Riezs, Hawkeye and Charlotte.

By the way, is it a coincidence that Duran, Kevin and Angela had solo boss fights when obtaining their class 4 items while the rest had full party fights or is it difficulty based?

Angela has a lot of "linear warriors, quadratic wizards" going on over her. She is weak at the start and completely overpowered late game.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
There has been talk about modding up enemy health, but what happens to less offensive oriented parties then? I guess the mod is for people who know the game and won't field a party that doesn't have the offense needed for the upped health, so that's fine. However, from a balance perspective, I don't think the underlying problem is really fixed by upping enemy health. I suspect that you would have to go trough every character and check how they contribute as well as what the game actually values. Basically, fixing the balance issues would probably alter the game very significantly.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Arkeus posted:

It feels like modding up enemy health would also help less offensive oriented party because it means their schitck would actually matter. Nightblade instant kill will be relevant, Duran's heals or Charlotte's would help, and Vanadys would probably look a bit better too?
Yes, but then battles risk taking too long to be fun instead. Maybe if you combined it with making less battles overall? I do suspect that would lead to another problem though.

Anyway, I have a question; does leaf/moon saber work with class strikes? If it does, leaf saber + class strike sounds like a good full MP restore.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

Too many of the character builds are technically viable but sort of unfun to play. As mentioned many times by others they were way too generous with healing items which makes support characters a hindrance because damage trumps all. Castable buffs are fine for bosses but useless for everything else, you're better off just picking builds with auras whenever possible.

Your buffs seemingly don't persist between fights which makes some character builds kind of useless outside of bosses because normal enemies don't last long even on hard. The game lacks any sort of challenge outside of a first playthru and 2 bosses, one of which is optional. This really needed some sort of challenge mode or something for your godmode characters in New Game Plus.

I personally think that a lot of skills just aren't very suitable for an action game. Riesz buffs and debuffs in particular seem more suited for a game where you cannot avoid enemy attacks and need to get the numbers on your side instead. Having the buffs last between fights would make things better, but a lot of the skills just weren't designed for an action heavier game than Seiken Densetsu 3 originally was.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
In the original game, Lise was by far the most popular character and I think she had more fanart than the rest combined. This probably carried Riesz. Had it been only this game, I think Angela would have beat her.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

For Light Angela, what would be a good 2nd element to focus on after Light? Hawkeye easily gets access to multiple elements by just putting points into Luck, but for Angela I need to spread them around for other elements.
You get the elements that belongs to the stats and skills you want. I recommend you go intelligence after grabbing all spirit spells and enough strength to get both of Angela's skills that restores MP with heavy attacks. IIRC, this will give you fire, ice and darkness. Once you class change into grand divina, you can respec away the points in strength and put them in luck instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

So I played the fan translation ages ago and just got this on Steam and have one question to choosing a main character: Does Angela start with a spell this time or is at as bad to start with her as it was then?
Angela is still very backloaded when it comes to her prowess. She starts out better, the main reason being a changed damage algorithm that makes her low strength less of a problem, but then when she gets her first spell, it's weak and expensive compared to SD3. She then gradually gets stronger and stronger and eventually she becomes by far the most powerful character.