Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh god, an SD3 remake! I'm so hype!

I bounced off that game the first time I played it, because I took Lise, Hawk and Angela as my first party. It's not the right combination for a beginner. I tried it again 6 months later, and have been in love with the game ever since. I can hardly believe this will get a remake, I'm super happy.

By the way, Final Fantasy Adventure was my favorite Game Boy game, and I was a bit disappointed with the remake. Sure, the mechanics were better, you had a party, a wider selection of magic and weapons, and some cool item forging. But the story was worse imho. FFA had a pretty straightforward story, making Dark Lord or Julius (can't remember which) a misunderstood woobie didn't sit right with me. The game missed the emotional beats. Willy dying was an effective shock at the start of the game, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Asnorban posted:

I'm 3 or 4 hours in to Trials of Mana for the first time and grasping the controls and combat is proving incredibly difficult. I spent probably 15 minutes last night trying to figure out exactly how to switch characters beyond holding L/R to temporarily control, how to equip items on other characters, how to cast spells with other characters, etc. Feel dumb in hindsight, given that it's mostly that I forgot the select button existed and didn't try it for a very long time.

That said, I have a few questions. My party is Reisz, Hawke, Charlotte:
1) Is there a good overall combat guide that I can watch or read?
2) If not, is there more to combat than simply walking up to an enemy, mashing the attack button, and hoping you don't miss? Only one party member has any spells (Charlotte), and my main (Reisz) doesn't seem to do anything besides the basic attack.
3) Can I screw myself if I don't level up properly? I don't care about min/maxing, but I don't want to get to the end of the game and find out I shouldn't have put any stats towards X with character Y and it screwed me.
4) At a shop do I really have to exit out of the menu to switch which characters stats it shows before I buy something?

I really hope Charlotte doesn't talk like this in the remake. I instantly regretted my choice.

It's a bit more satisfying to control Hawke at this point, since his double attack let's you build up his special attack gauge faster. Combat is relatively simple at the beginning of the game, you will get more abilities once you class change. Due to class change setting your stats, it's near impossible to long term screw yourself by leveling up in a wrong way. But just remember that it's basically always correct to go with strength if you're playing a non-mage (Charlotte, Angela), while it's either spirit (Charlie) or intellect (Angela) for your casters. And it's always good to take stamina if you maxed out your offensive stats. It get's more complicated after you change classes, since Hawke for example needs certain dexterity values to learn his spell, while Lise learns new spells with spirit.

Since you already have to dream combo of Hawke and Lise, take care to class change Lise into her Light Class (first of the two options you get when you can choose which classes to change into), and to change Hawke into his Dark Class (second option).

It's super hosed up that they named the translated SD3 and the remake the same. It's easy to infer from context that Phantasium was writing about the remake, and Asnorban about SD3, but it's still dumb.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shibawanko posted:

I don't think I ever made a party other than Duran, Angela and Charlotte. I felt that any proper JRPG party should have a generic sword guy as the main character, as well as a sexy female spellcaster and a healer, and anything else isn't the real deal.

Duran, Angela and Charlotte is also the closest you can get to the original SoM cast, even though Charlotte and Angela have swapped the caster/healer roles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Alxprit posted:

Yeah definitely, you basically never want to use magic against anything that counters it cause the counters are brutal even if you buff and debuff, especially because there's a literal hard cap on how high your defense can go. But in general you can tell if a boss will counter by whether they're some big monster or whether they're roughly you-sized and take hit-stun from your basic swings.

Except if they're a werewolf of any kind, because holy poo poo you do not want to cast magic on werewolves.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, that fight against Dolan looked hectic (and fun) as hell!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bean posted:

I'm playing Trials with Rietz, Hawkeye and Angela. What should I be doing on the stat level up increases? I've tried to even everyone's stats out a bit but that feels like a dumb idea.

Just want to note that you've made it a bit harder on yourself by choosing the only party composition without a healer. There's a town called Byzel with a famous black market that sells advanced healing items (like poto oil) that you will likely need in the later stages of the game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

So awesome. SD3 had amazing music, and hearing them being faithful to it makes me really happy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Super Jay Mann posted:

Frankly SoM is about 2-3 steps away from being an unplayable mess, which makes sense given its troubled development. I don't think it's a very good game at all, but of course some will embrace its jank and idiosyncrasies more than others,

As somebody who loved Final Fantasy Adventure (it was my third Gameboy game after Mario and Tetris, which I believe came with the console, it was also my third video game, period), I quite liked playing SoM. About twice. But it has basically no replay value. You have the same three party members, who you can tinker a bit around in regards to their preferred weapons. But they always get the same magic every time, the route remains the same (except for one very small branching path very early in the story), etc. I have some nostalgia for it, and the music remains pretty good to this day, but I've replayed it as an adult once more, and I have no desire to return to it. It's an important part of the series, but that's it.

SD3 is soooo much better in nearly every way. You can choose between 6 party members, they have divergent promotion paths, three different story paths (or 6, if you count the first few hours), and the music is even better than SoM. And the remoke looks so great, I'm very excited for it.

My reaction to hearing that they were making a Secret of Mana remake was "meh".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, this looks like just about the best remake of a game ever made. Holy poo poo I'm so excited. Stat allocation was super brainless in SD3, this is much better. Every bit of information coming out only makes Trials of Mana look better, I can hardly believe how good everything looks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Harrow posted:

One more team comp question: at least in the original version, does it matter much if you have a healer? I think I'm between Hawkeye/Riesz/Kevin and Hawkeye/Riesz/Angela for my first run and the Angela option would leave me with nobody who has healing spells (assuming the spell lists are similar to the original game).

I abandoned my first playthrough with the only party composition that can never have a healer (Lise/Hawke/Angela), because I was not good at games back then. When I revisited the game, I could easily beat it without a healer, but it's more busywork to stock up on items, shuffle them between your active inventory and your nearly unlimited stash, and backtracking to Byzel for the better healing items. It's much less hassle to have your healer top off your party after a fight, and then top off your healer's mana. I'd recommend taking a healer for your first playthrough.

Edit: wtf, Fenrir Knight. Lise doesn't deserve this!

Edit2: Is there any outfit for Angela that's not stripperific?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 17, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm in love with this demo. For those who know the game, does comp actually matter or can I play on normal with whatever anime wunderkinds I prefer?

Comp does matter for the story. There are three paired stories of one character's nation invading another character's nation (Angela's kingdom invades Duran's, Hawke's kingdom conquer's Riesze's, Kevin's kingdom invades Charlie's home). The stories are more complete if you play with matching pairs, provided one of them is your starting character. Because the endgame dungeon and bosses come from the main antagonist of your starting character. So Angela/Duran/Kevin is good, while Kevin/Angela/Duran is bad, or at least will miss part of the story, since Charlie is not in your party. It doesn't matter for your tenth playthrough or so, but if you play through each of the three routes for the first time, you should have both characters important to that route in your party.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

timp posted:

I really like what they did with this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVhHStgpvM

I mentioned a few day ago that it seemed like all the music was more transcription than arrangement, with each instrument hitting every note from the original with virtually no exceptions. After playing the demo and listening more, that still holds true for the most part, but I have picked up on a few minor changes. But it's still really wonderful because they're subtle and don't take away from the song's "thesis" as it were at all. For instance, in the track above, they removed the accented shaker part from the original and replaced it with some light hand drumming. They also added some really tasty sustained strings in the part when the main theme repeats itself.

I'm just so impressed with the direction they took at arranging these tracks—90% original with an extra 10% punch-up. IMO it's the best route they could have taken.

Oh also the Crimson Wizard's teleportation effect looks fucken rad

Agree 100%. I have a video game OST playlist, and while there are the usual suspects of WoW, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, etc., the game with the most entries on the list is SD3. I'm supremely happy how they handled the music. I became a bit misty eyed during the intro upon first hearing the music.

There are so many things to like about the remake. I noticed in the help popup during the loading screens, when they talk about silver and gold goddess statues, that they mention a special goddess statue with further powers. And it's immediately clear which statue they're talking about. I guess you will just be allowed to do the second class change at the Mana Holyland regardless of level (provided you have the correct item). They did say you would be able to get that class change before fighting the Benevodons.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Got Hawkeye, too. Don't understand the need for time limits, either. What happens if you let it run out? Do you get Charlotte points for being lazy, or Kevin points for being dumb?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

seiferguy posted:

Angela / Hawkeye / Riesz would be a fun party if it weren't for the no heals aspect.

Edit: it appears as long as you have the prerequisite stat filled, as you unlock spirits their magic becomes automatically available to you as opposed to waiting to level up, which is cool.

That was always very annoying in the original, another good change.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mega64 posted:

I'm curious to see how Reisz's later classes go since she seems set up to be solidly average stat-wise while everyone else specializes in one of the five stats. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some gimmick specializing like the victory heal to justify her being an all-rounder.

As others have said, Riesz gets the most out of her class changes, and is extremely versatile how you can build her, which goes great with different party compositions. Do you have stat downs covered with Dark Hawkeye or Dark Charlotte? Make Riesz go Light and get stat ups. Stat ups + stat downs was a disgustingly strong combination in the original. Don't have Hawkeye or Charlotte? Go Dark Riesz, and use stat boosting consumables. Her Light-Light class had a summons that turned all enemies on screen into harmless critters. Those gave no XP, but it was a great panic reset button when you were about to wipe to the quite tough enemies in the late game. Her Light-Dark class got a full screen damage+silence summon, which was imho the most powerful full screen magic in the game against non-bosses. Most late game enemies became drastically weaker when they were silenced and couldn't use their spells or full screen techs. Her Dark classes summons were weaker, but at least one was for buggy reasons (the Dark-Dark summon had no special effect but was supposed to do more damage... "was supposed" being the key phrase here).

And I just want to emphasize how powerful stat ups/stat downs were. Due to the way combat rolls were calculated, they made a huge difference. And enemy that did more that 100 points of damage could easily do single digit damage after you buffed your party with stat ups and hit them with stat downs. Similarly, your party's damage output went through the roof as well. And since Light class Riesze was the only class that brought stat ups to the table (using consumables was not ideal due to the limited active inventory size), it felt never bad to simply add her to a party. Only problem was an all female team, since you lacked a true physical powerhouse.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arkeus posted:

Well, if the game was difficult.

We'll see how difficult the game will be. The early part wasn't that difficult in the original either. But of course, one change that's generally been received quite well might be a big culprit. I did die to the FMH when I first started the game. If you're not diligent with healing and have a bit of misfortune, he can easily kill party members with his unavoidable attacks (edit: especially his poison, which you might not have a healing item for if you're new to the game). But now you can evade those, which for any halfway competent gamer will make the game much easier. I wonder if there will be any unavoidable FSTs/spells left. Will Eruption Sword, Suzaku Sky Dance, or Split Image Slice still wipe an unprepared party? What about Ancient, Double Spell or Marduk? Can they all be avoided? Will enemy werewolves and ninjas no longer be the big party killers?

By the way, how did spells like Suzaku Sky Dance or Seiryuu Death Fist get translated in the official translation?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 22, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I broke down and watched a video and the stat system seems pretty bad. Kevin probably has it easy, but it looks like a nightmare for Angela. Either she respecs after every dungeon to pick up the next “correct” element, or she spreads her stats all over everywhere and never gets to boost int to see more damage from her spells.

We'll see how this shakes out, but this complexity/difficulty in skilling looks like another welcome change from the total brainlessness of allocating SD3's stat points on level up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Folt The Bolt posted:

Oh yeah.

Bil and Ben still filter scrubs who think it's as easy as mashing Attack, Attack, Attack! The guy I watched the footage from even played on easy mode.

For the ones who don't get the memo, the Benevodons will finish the job. If you're just playing through it normally, you generally don't have the same equipment as the guy playing the Fiegmund showcase has

Late- and postgame spoilers: Black Rabite and Anise do not gently caress around. Black Rabite still has all of it's moves from the original (even if he can't counterattack anymore) and now absorbs light judging from the target info, and Anise has a very mean second phase. The latter is also required to beat if you want the actual NG+.

This sounds great. Especially that Bill and Ben retained their role as road blocks if you don't know what you're doing. And harder Benevodons are a good development. How are lategame werewolves, ninjas, and knights? Still possible party killers?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 21, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I remember Sword of Mana also doing a very good job in regards to music. The songs were still in essence the same as they were in Final Fantasy Adventure, but updated to the better hardware of the GBA.

Trials of Mana seems to do the same with the SD3 music. In fact, as far as I can tell, most things, from the music, to the combat and the story and the graphics get faithfully adapted, which makes me very happy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Natural20 is going to do an LP of the game, he's opened a thread so people can begin voting on party composition. The thread's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920962

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ultrachrist posted:

Looks like midnight EST according to the PSN preorder countdown.

Do any of the reviews comment if the game ever gets harder? Extremely easy difficulty in the demo (on hard) was my biggest complaint.

Yes, they say the game gets quite a bit harder after the first class change, but that it was still too easy. At least on normal, which was the difficulty the two reviewers I've watched played the game on.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Remember that you can have Japanese voice acting with English subtitles. Reviewers said that Japanese voice acting was considerably better than the English one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Also, you seem to level up really fast in this, especially if you don’t avoid fights and explore thoroughly.

This makes sense, since you're supposed to do your second class change before fighting the Benevodons, which would have required absurd grinding in the original.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dackel posted:

Dear god, starlancer is miles better

Another thing faithfully adapted from the original :cheeky:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m genuinely surprised at how much enthusiasm and good press this games getting, when I tried the demo it really put me off big time, the impressions I got from it was that it just feels incredibly basic and sparse, like a fan took the layout of the 16 but game and made a unity mockup of it, and quite honestly the story pacing and delivery of the character animation was super bad lol, I mean, dragon quest 11 was also a simple story but it was very charming and got me interested from the get go. Whereas this game didn’t feel like it had the same charisma, I played as the big haired hero fighter dude but he seemed pretty dull. “I gotta get stronger to protect my liege”. Maybe I’m missing something? I guess I should delve a little deeper into the demo and see if the game will win me over...

I mean, DQ 11 won me over enough that it’s definitely on my “to buy” list despite it being very much a typical JRPG, but I’m just not quite there yet with this one...

The issue is that your characters basically can only use basic attacks until they get their first class change. Some characters, namely Angela and Charlotte, get them sooner, when you get mana spirits. Unfortunately, you get your first spirit at the very end of the demo, so the gameplay is not that representative of the later game. You could watch this very good 10 minute review, where the reviewer purposefully earned all achievements in the game before doing the review, so they definitely know what they're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0AEZby1mug

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vermain posted:

Not bad for a mid budget remake of a game that never saw an official Western release. That success gives me hope that more of the Japanese-only gems of the SNES era - like Bahamut Lagoon and Live A Live - will get the Trials of Mana treatment in the future.

Yeah, Bahamut Lagoon would be really cool to have a remake of.

Kinda wish we would get a better Final Fantasy Adventure remake, but I guess that would be too greedy. I definitely hope that they will make new Mana games, the setting was always cool, the gameplay usually very good, the art and sound often amazing.

I've bounced off hard the only time I tried Legend of Mana, I'm curious whether they make any more QoL improvements.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

some bust on that guy posted:

Meridian Dance on piano and Keytar. Must see keytar at 4:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGpGyze-6V8

Wow, that's amazing.

The Mana series has a lot of my favorite video game soundtracks, it's nice that others appreciate as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There can never be too many Mana games, so this is very good news. Especially following the absolutely amazing remake of SD3. I'm really looking forward to learn more about the new game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Have we ever been able to use mounts with our characters? Except for riding the Chocobo in Final Fantasy Adventure and it's remakes?

Fake-edit: Could we even ride a chocobo in Sword of Mana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mega64 posted:

They're all from FFA/SD1.

This is an amazing link. Those spinning things were supposed to be air elementals???

This brings back so many childhood memories. The game was great, and surprisingly serious for it's time. Will bites it in the first two minutes, the other guy (Hakim?) guarding the girl dies in like the first 20 minutes, Bogard literally breaks his spine and can't move his legs anymore, your chocobo needs robot legs to walk again, Marcie sacrifices itself, etc. Child me was blown away by most of them, especially when Marcie said they can't jump. Plus the very good music for a gameboy game.

Edit: Oh yeah, the game also forced you to kill Amanda yourself...

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 19, 2024