Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

timp posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I found this rip of what I assume is just the Trials of Mana part of that presentation, get it while it's still hot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmnp-apjTjk

E: I'm only able to listen since I'm at work but I'm loving the arrangements so far; very faithful to the originals which is a good thing imo. Sounds like a lot of the recognizable sound effects are there too. Seems dumb to even comment on that but SD3 really does have great sound design which absolutely includes the constant beeps and blips of all the RPG sounds

This looks really good. Interesting that they don't have 'Agility' anymore, seems they streamlined the stats.

There are now jumps, and the combat system seems to flow really well, too, with 'tells' for bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Allarion posted:

Yeah, all the bugs and glitches still apply, so dex is still only useful for Hawkeye, and Kevin is still a murder machine who gets buffed by anything while in werewolf form

Anyone checked if Duran's shields are still broken?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

So at a bit of a crossroads here.
I finally hit my first promotion, at level 21 because at no point was I informed that's what the mana stones were for.
And I keep fixating on all the stuff that's wrong with this game, mostly the pacing.
Now I still enjoy the game but at this point I'm thinking I'm going to pick up the remake when it comes out.
So now do I continue playing or maybe turf this run and start playing Legend of Mana or something.

Remake will have a lot changed apparently, so there is something to be said in "first seeing the original". But yeah, what you are talking about is exactly the kind of thing that's nasty to new players in it. Not only are the mana stones not explicitly for tiering up in a clear manner, but they are situated in such a way that you either need to grind a lot to get to level18 in Roland? or just end up getting to the new tier at level 20+.... which means losing stat points until the next tier.

sunaurus posted:

Playing SD3 in co-op with my brother was some of the most fun gaming of my childhood, so the amount of excitement over this news seems way too low. I guess the fan translation must have been a bit obscure? Even though I remember SD3 always being recommended along with games like Chrono Trigger and FFVI

Recommendation for emulator games is always going to affect less people than games you can actually see in stores.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Allarion posted:

To be fair, Angela just doesn't get great synergy in general since all she brings usually is nuke the screen, and it's easy to just stumble into a team combination that doesn't support her at all. Kevin potentially has that problem too, but you'll almost always have someone who can buff him directly or indirectly, unless it's some combination of Angela, Light-Dark Duran, or Light-Light Hawk where you get no physical buffs/debuffs at all, and Kevin is still ridiculously strong without buffers anyways. I still like to bring Angela though cause I like her sass.

Speaking of, anyone knows of a good team composition with Angela as a main? The way she has a perpendicular attack styles to other characters does make it harder.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Edit2: Is there any outfit for Angela that's not stripperific?

I was initially really annoyed with Angela and Riese design in that twitter, but the twitter is being really misleading: each characters has one stripperific design (dark) and one normal one (light), barring Charlotted/Hawk, who have two decent outfits. they somehow show the light outfits for most characters except Angela/Riese.

Lights:

Dark:

I'd say Duran/Kevin dark outfits are still less stripperifics than Angela/Riese ones, but at least it's... somewhat similar?

Also, not sure what to think of there being only 'one' light/dark class for T4. Does this mean T3 choices don't matter?

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 17, 2020

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I'm really glad this is not a re-skin at all, but a legit remake. Sure, it doesn't have the budget of the most expensive games, but it definitely feels like an awful lot of work has gone into it.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Anyone found the hidden character so far in the demo? I guess I am blind.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

timp posted:

You're correct, and this is honestly something I wish they would have been clearer about. You will not get to use your 3rd party member in this demo. (unless you picked Charlotte maybe?)

All good though, just means we have a great excuse to play through the demo thrice instead of twice! :v:

My party had Charlotte as the third, so I can confirm you do get her in the demo as a third party member.

That actually made me forget you don't usually get the third yet. Facehugger seemed much easier than on the original game too, dying before I noticed any eyes popping.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
The Demo IS stupidly easy, but it could be a demo thing.

Regardless, I think that buying the steam version means there will be difficulty mods coming in soon.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

As others have said, Riesz gets the most out of her class changes, and is extremely versatile how you can build her, which goes great with different party compositions. Do you have stat downs covered with Dark Hawkeye or Dark Charlotte? Make Riesz go Light and get stat ups. Stat ups + stat downs was a disgustingly strong combination in the original. Don't have Hawkeye or Charlotte? Go Dark Riesz, and use stat boosting consumables. Her Light-Light class had a summons that turned all enemies on screen into harmless critters. Those gave no XP, but it was a great panic reset button when you were about to wipe to the quite tough enemies in the late game. Her Light-Dark class got a full screen damage+silence summon, which was imho the most powerful full screen magic in the game against non-bosses. Most late game enemies became drastically weaker when they were silenced and couldn't use their spells or full screen techs. Her Dark classes summons were weaker, but at least one was for buggy reasons (the Dark-Dark summon had no special effect but was supposed to do more damage... "was supposed" being the key phrase here).

And I just want to emphasize how powerful stat ups/stat downs were. Due to the way combat rolls were calculated, they made a huge difference. And enemy that did more that 100 points of damage could easily do single digit damage after you buffed your party with stat ups and hit them with stat downs. Similarly, your party's damage output went through the roof as well. And since Light class Riesze was the only class that brought stat ups to the table (using consumables was not ideal due to the limited active inventory size), it felt never bad to simply add her to a party. Only problem was an all female team, since you lacked a true physical powerhouse.

Something to note is that given there is respec in this version, "a bit weaker but super high versatility" is actually really drat useful.

Well, if the game was difficult.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I'm probably going Angela/Riesz/Charlie because they are goofy and fun. Kevin is also goofy and fun, though.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Poto Oils exist, so no. :v:

I actually somewhat remember being shocked in my demo playthrough when noticing Poto Oils now give special attack bar, not health. Maybe I misunderstood though.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
For those who got the game unlocked, how is the difficulty compared to the demo?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Having Angela as the second party member, and her reaction to learning of the Fae is hilarious ("Oh thank god it's not me stuck with her").

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
So lil'cactus gives the ability to know how many chests are left in a map. That's horrible (especially as there is almost never anything good in a chest).

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

All the concerns about difficulty based on the demo seem completely overblown. The game has had its boot on my throat since the Machine Golem boss on the bridge and hasn't let up since. That room in Valsena with five loving machine golems can eat my entire taint. But also,

The demo is way easier. I'm actually fairly sure it's not just damage/etc that was changed for the demo, but even drop rates. I got seeds every couple fights there, and was almost level 2 seed box when playing the demo. Doing the game from the beginning on the full game was completely different there.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
So, mmh.

I am with Riesz/Angela/Hawk. I was thinking Light Riesz, Light Angela? (not sure what's the difference there honestly), and Dark Hawk, but I always feel bad for picking Dark Hawk.

Is there any reason to pick Light Hawk?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

The issue is that your characters basically can only use basic attacks until they get their first class change. Some characters, namely Angela and Charlotte, get them sooner, when you get mana spirits. Unfortunately, you get your first spirit at the very end of the demo, so the gameplay is not that representative of the later game. You could watch this very good 10 minute review, where the reviewer purposefully earned all achievements in the game before doing the review, so they definitely know what they're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0AEZby1mug

I do think it's important to give a 'fair shake' to a game before you do a review, but I also think that going platinum before a review is... a pretty bad idea? A lot of time the grinding needed for platinum is not part of a natural playthrough, and it will change how the reviewer thinks of the game too.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I'm bad enough at sound stuff I didn't even notice the VA was bad, especially given that no voice stands out as "really bad" to me.

Anyway, there is no lil'catcus in ghost ship and exploding island right?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Huh, seems the level balance is "you get to level 40+ before ever having a chance to see a Seed ???".

Also I am sure I am missing so much lil' cactus and that makes me sad.

What's this with twin merchant cat? I am post sanctuary of mana but haven't seen them.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Am I missing something obvious with the Wind Benevodon? I'm basically unable to really fight against him and he just slowly grinds me to death. I don't have anyone in 3rd class yet though (second benevodon).

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

Now that the game's out: for people playing on Hard, how much of a pain is it to deal with having no healing spells? Really leaning towards a Hawkeye, Riesz, Angela playthrough.

Like it is "you'll barely notice because items are plentiful" level, or "you'll have to go out of your way to get extra healing items and you'll definitely notice" level?

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not playing on hard, but the big thing with not having a healing spell is that you have a hard limit on healing items in boss battles, 9 of each item. Granted, that's a very generous limit, especially when you factor in poto oils and succube claws, but it might be a pretty big issue on hard mode.

I actually do feel that issue, but it's not just that. Having a char that has healing basically means they 'backburner heal' without having to really think about it. I have the Riesz/Angela/Hawk playthrough, and I definitely feel the healing issues in a lot of boss fights, and even some non boss fights (I often begins fights at 30% health because of this).

Speaking of, I am having Archmage Angela and she is badass, but I don't know how she would compare to the Diviner one. I definitely feel the lack of MP every so often, and I don't know how the spells are in both routes.

Anyone who tested both can say the differences?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
anyone found a good site that has maps that shows exactly where lil'cactus are? I am missing quite a few.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Ish? I'd probably say something like 40/40/20 for the element hunt, what occurs after that, and then the finale, at least basing off of the original SNES version.

The last part of the game feels longer in this version, though I might be wrong. Also there is a little post game.

Anyone has some good advice for killing Anise on hard under 2 minutes? I got her a bit under three minutes once but I used my only "increase CS when using it" item. I guess I could just grind more levels, or maybe switch my main char to someone who can recover CS faster, but I'd prefer not to. Is she weak to a specific element?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Someone knows if Seed ??? are still locked if you go into a new game plus with a completely different team? E.G, if my new game plus is Duran/Kevin/Charlotte but I got the Seed ??? with Angel/Riesz/Hawk?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Chrodyn posted:

Can confirm they only give items for characters in the party. I made a new game+ with the three I didn't use first time and got items for charlotte at the first inn angela visits.

E: first playthrough was Hawkeye/Duran/Reisz.

So I guess I totally need to grind seeds + respec so that I have as many 'chain abilities' as possible for my NG+ save. Because the game totally needs me to be that broken.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I will note I never got a game over playing on normal. I'll have to try Hard someday - if I ever get the game on Steam, maybe I'll stream a hard mode run, that might be a fun gimmick. For now I'm mostly concerned with becoming incredibly powerful and swole through New Game+ and having a "perfect" set of characters.

I barely got any game overs on hard, but one of the several I got was just after getting a seed ??? drop and not saving. That was painful.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Those stat boosts from tier 3 classes are massive. I don't think the game wants you to class change until you at least clear half of the Benevodons. I rushed the 6 free ??? seeds and managed to get every class possible. The first 3 Benevodons were complete chumps and the rest weren't that hard either but at least had some levels.

Necromancer Charlotte gets a 50 point increase in Strength. For the record that makes her strength higher than Duran in his dark classes. You don't get a huge boost in spirit like her light classes but if you want to bonk things I rather like it along with the stat debuffs.

It's even worse when you consider that once you class change it opens up the class 3 gear from silver/gold seeds (or platinums, but platinums can do class 4 gear, soooo).

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Dackel posted:

Welp Angela absolutely destroyed the postgame stuff. Beat black rabite and Anise time trial, best time was 51s

Time for ng+ with Hawkeye, Riesz and Kevin

What level you were? and what method did you use for such a fast kill?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Dackel posted:

I was at 75, I wrote up how my party looked like earlier.

The biggest issue with the time trial was I only had ice and wind, so i had to ancient curse the other 2 crystals and hope anise played along so i could kill her in 1 phase. for her dragon phase, you need to dodge the beginning barrage of attacks (or I had to, cause i didnt have spellguard) and then just spam ancient curse on the body. Ancient curse absolutely DESTROYS multi body part static bosses

Managed to do it via second tier holy spell nuking. The Archmage 'big neutral spell' actually is not so good in the first phase, and as she is weak to holy (I somehow didn't notice) second phase was basically a rush to kill her before she could do the big AoE thing that makes attacking her impossible.

Still didn't manage to off her first phase before she did a second run of crystals, though that's in part because I didn't want to blow my CS.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I think they should have added NG+ options. as is, the "oh, you keep your old level" thing is probably not what most of us want.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Class 4 seems to use the same gear that the Class 3 does, at least from what I've been getting from silver/gold seeds on a max level pot. So it's pretty ok to just run on through.

I'm so close to a sub-1 min Anise run. The problem really is the teleporting. My time of 1.00.69 (on Hard) was from when I got lucky and my AI buddy stunlocked her with a CS so I could rip her apart.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Playing my second run with Angela, Duran and Hawkeye. Got all six class change items in the first six ??? seeds and was able to get them all to class 3 right at level 38, thinking of buying some scratch-off tickets.

e:

There's separate ultimate gear for class 4 that you can get from seeds. On my first playthrough Lise had her ultimate weapon as Star Lancer and got a better one later on after she class changed up to Valkyrie.

I am pretty sure Class 4 gear only drops from platinum seeds, so keep those unharvested until you get class 4.

Fister Roboto posted:

Just finished the post-credits dungeon. God drat, Angela is a beast. I know Duran and Kevin are supposed to be the other two heavy dps characters, but I don't see how they can even compare to Lucent Beam+ spam.

I bet this game could be fun to speedrun.

As insane as is Lucent Beam+ spam, Ancient curse is just better for pure DPS against bosses. Lucent Beam+ speam (or other appropriate elements) are really drat good for killing slightly weaker enemies quicker though, because cast time.

Also I suspect on a Holy day Lucent Beam+ + enemy weak to holy might equal Ancient Curse. Maybe.

Anyone has a opinion on whether Archmage or Grand Diviner is better? seems like the locked passive of Grand Diviner is just flat out better unless you expect Angela to get killed constantly, but apart from that the only difference is that Grand Diviner gets a flat +25% to damage ability and Archmage gets a 10% stackable to +30%? Or am I missing something?

How does Doppleganger compare to Glittering Dust? I know Glittering Dust had annoyingly small AoE that didn't work too well against Anise's first form.

Item Getter posted:

I thought it was cute that they kept the side view sections in the Woods of Wandara even though they presumably did it that way to better show the background scenery in the original and now it's a 3D game with a freely moving camera. Not only that but went a step further and added platforming to them.
There are a lot of neat touches like that in the game. Like I also really didn't expect to see the effect from the original game where you can look out from high up in the mountains and see the curvature of the earth in a 3D remake, but they replicated that effect as well.
Like a lot of people already thinking about the next run through the game. What does the New Game+ actually do if you don't use any characters from the first time?

You keep all your chain abilities you had available in the other chars (and gained through talking) in the save you use for NG+, so I'd suggest a respec just before the end to get all chain abilities on the chars.

Also keeping seeds ??? for quick class 3 as soon as level 38 is good civ.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 28, 2020

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Archmage appears to be geared toward boss fights, while GD is for annihilating mobs. Their STR damage buffs are +20% to bosses and non-bosses, respectively. GD's locked ability is obviously meant to sustain MP in dungeons, while Archmage's is more likely to trigger against a boss. Archmage also gets a single target CS while GD's is AoE.

Glitter Dust looks looks like it's slightly stronger than Doppelganger.

Oh, I had completely forgotten about Judge. Yeah, Judge is actually a fairly big deal there. Good call about the overall themes. Glad I went Archmage then.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is there a huge difference between Grand Diviner and Archmage? I'm thinking of going Archmage because I like the outfit better. Otherwise it seems like they mostly learn the same spells. What's the difference between Doppelganger and Glitter Dust?

I asked the same question a big before, and the difference seems to be that Grand Diviner is geared toward mob fights and Archmage toward boss fights:
- Grand Diviner has a +25% to magic damage skill, while Archmage has a +10-30% scalable one with repeats
- Grand Diviner has a +% damage to non-boss skill, while Archmage has a +% to boss skill
- Grand Diviner's locked passive seems to be about topping you off between fights (+15% at the end of each fights) while Archmage's is about giving you more mana within a fight (+40% if you go below 10% HP)

I don't know how Doppleganger works, so I can't tell you which is better.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ASenileAnimal posted:

i know its insane i just got the 4th class change and im just steamrolling everything with it lol.

also does anyone know if rainbow seeds drop 4th class tier gear or is it just a higher chance at the 3rd class gear?

Rainbow seeds drop 4th class tier gear, and I don't think gold do (but they might). So I suggest you don't use any rainbow ones before you get your 4th class.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

orcane posted:

Yeah you can do that but "later" is really late because the goddess scales item (the class reset item) doesn't show up until the last chapter.

E: or even the post-game chapter, I can't remember.

I know there was one in the last dungeon of Riesz's story at least.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

How do you stop the non-controlled party members from eating poo poo to avoidable attacks though

Honestly considering how quickly you need to kill Anise you probably can't afford to care if they die.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Speaking of story, I'm getting the impression after doing Charlotte's story that Charlotte/Kevin is the 'true' route? Mirage Palace just seems... better fleshed out than Riesz' when it comes to plot, and while Duran appears a lot if you don't use him, Angela just doesn't appear at all.

Also yeah, final achievement is definitely bugged. Also got it when I got the Ferry Flute on NG+.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

I can't quite get under a minute on the time trial with Dark/Dark Duran, Light/Dark Angela and Light/Dark Kevin even with all of them at 99. Best time so far is 1:16:29.
It's mostly the first phase again, losing time thanks to the boss teleporting and getting hit by the crystal spells (which debuff) and being hitstunned by her melee 'explosion' attack. Both Duran and Angela handle the first phase about the same.
The second phase Duran does a little bit better simply because I have more Chain Skills to buff him up to absurd levels with than I do Angela. His CS skills are mostly a wash though, Gust Slash is too weak and Quakebringer/Hellion Slash only hit the boss's body, so it's simply faster for him to normally attack. Angela's kind of gimped too, not only because of lack of chain skills and reliable debuffing, she didn't get her class 4 staff despite me having 30 rainbow seeds at the end of the stockade. Duran/Angela's story kind of suck for doom sword spawns to farm those.
It takes Duran a few 4x combos to take down the second phase while my Angela did it in about a dozen Lucent Beam+'s.
What skills do you have on Angela? The 0MP skill from black rabbit usually mean you can get the light 'at full MP' bonus to damage, Angela's Light style should have her critting all the time, and with weakness skills + judge + crit damage (language from crit damage is weird but it should increase the damage of your own crits) you can scale light side Angela fairly high too.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Realized I could tweak some things, but that just got my time down to 1:10:29 after a couple more attempts (with Duran, of all things :v:)

Skills I had on Angela for her attempts were:
Obsidian Power
Judge
Judge II
Limit Break III
True Protection
Magic Smash
Pinpoint III
Cast Resist III (swapped with Enigma to try it out, vis a vis the debuff situation. Enigma worked slightly better.)

Angela had 480 MAtk. Also had Duran's Weak Point All II on for an extra 12%.

The lack of debuff resist hurts. Had to keep re-applying Sahagin scales (for my Duran attempts it was Parpato claws and Drake scales) and even with Kevin doing that it cost me time.
Crystals were a one-shot on their weakness (2.9k per hit) but Anise herself just isn't a good target for t2 elemental spells. I had the best luck with Explosion.
Lucent Beam+ was doing about 780 a hit on the second phase (at about 6-ish hits per part, but multiple hits on the body weren't reliable even on the section where they're all grouped up.) I'd say it was doing around 8k total a shot compared to what Duran was doing.
Yeah, my personal feeling there is you'd want Critical Damage II rather than magic smash, and put magic smash on Kevin. Then Elemental Combo II instead of Cast Resist III, though if the debuff hurts you so hard maybe Enigma is fine there, but ideally you aren't getting hit at all? I can't recall if Mana rings actually protect from status down.

Anyway, it's really surprising to me that it's the second phase that's bothering you, because first phase is the one that's really annoying to me, with second phase being done in 10~ seconds or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Levantine posted:

So I've played so defensively all game I have no idea how to beat Anise quickly. I have a L/D Duran, D/L Hawkeye and L/D Riesz. Any suggestions on what skills to use and how to really beat the fight quickly? Duran's big CS attacks gently caress but then he has to spend time mashing out crystals to get back to the point he can use another. I feel like I just don't understand the offensive part of this game very well. I can stay alive all day though.

Control Duran, use L/D buffs/Debuffs of the other characters. For the second phase use a light claw.

Skill wise you want 'weakness' from Hawk on Duran, but I'm not exactly sure what skill exactly Duran has to skill damage himself. My instinct is to have a pot that increases CS gain and skills that increase CS so that you can do your big CS attack multiple times.