Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The main thing with that last fight you mentioned is that every time the perspective changes, the battle gets re-initiated, resetting all buffs and debuffs. The best way to quickly (and I mean QUICKLY) end that battle is to put Stone Saber on Duran and Riesz and buff their strength (in that order, or the saber spell will cancel the strength buff) and if Riesz is a Rune Maiden, lower the boss' defense. With strength buffs and sabers, you'll be chewing through the boss' HP so quickly it'll barely have time to attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Taear posted:

I just cast dark force over and over. Duran is a knight. No sabre spells.
I was doing 500 per hit and recasting my buffs and it still felt like ages, I really want a health bar!

You don't need to be a Gladiator in order to have primary elemental saber spells. Just buy a handful of bear claws at the Night Market in Beiser that mimic the effect of Stone Saber. Duran and Riesz will easily be doing between 200 and 300 points each normal attack with that on and you can still throw in attack magic to pile on some additional damage. That boss' HP was as high as it was because of how easy it is to bust it down with the right tools.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Phantasium posted:

No new characters for the Trials remake, multiple endings still in.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/06/27/there-will-be-multiple-trials-of-mana-remake-endings-but-only-the-same-six-characters/

I don't think either of those is surprising but I remember people asking.

Yeah, there's no way they'd simply be able to add additional characters just like that since there were only 6 major kingdoms involved in the conflicts of the game and each of the characters hails from either one of the aggressors or the besieged realms. Not to mention there's plenty of replay value already with the combinations of characters and classes.

Taear posted:

Having it high is boring and poo poo because the majority of people aren't doing that.

If the majority of people aren't taking advantage of the Night Market then the majority of people are simply playing the game wrong. (though I'm not sure if you can back that statement up to begin with) Since any combination of characters is supposed to be viable, including teams without buff-bots, healers or spell-casters, the Night Market gives you the tools to fill up the holes in your repertoire. Without Poto Oils, a healer-less team will stand a good chance of losing a damage race against later bosses due to running out of recovery items and without buffing items, later bosses tend to inflict too much damage (or take too little) for your team to defeat them in a reasonable amount of time. Some of it can be partially compensated with grinding, but that's really not necessary and Trials also has some anti-grinding mechanisms in play in the form of various stat-caps.

Taear posted:

Duran and Lise aren't doing anything and 90% of the damage is me

Sounds to me like your boss battling strategy is just spamming offensive spells without even pressing the A-button at the start of the fight to signal your AI allies to start attacking. That strategy worked in Secret of Mana, but it's the single-most inefficient and sub-optimal way of beating them in Trials. First of all, Angela's not mandatory, so the game doesn't even count on a spellcaster in your party, magic use pauses the action so you can't chain-cast it anymore and some bosses and stronger enemies go Barbatos Goetia on your rear end the moment you start trying to nuke them down with spells or high-level techs. The main source of damage in Trials against bosses is generally buffed-up physicals, with or without sabers depending on whether the enemy has an elemental weakness and magic's mostly there to quickly nuke stronger randoms or to act as a source of secondary damage against bosses with elemental weaknesses and without hair-trigger counter tempers.

So yeah, it's not the game this time, it's you. ;)

Erpy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 27, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jazerus posted:

the black market is definitely the least obvious key mechanic in the game. any party can be hitting like an end-game party from the moment you get to byzel if you get the strength scales and a decent claw collection

worth noting that this dramatically raises the value of debuffs in your party because the debuff-inflicting items can't be purchased. notably this makes dark hawk, dark lise, and dark charlotte better than you might think at first glance

True, although to be honest Dark - Light Charlotte won't be getting any debuffs until the game is nearly over. Black Curse is learned at like level 43 or so, assuming you promote as soon as possible.

Shoenin posted:

neat. I think only Angela had a different ending if you took her route or not. Everyone else remained the same I think.

I think Kevin had a variation too, since doing Kevin's route allows you to confront the Beast King half-way throughout the game rather than have it be part of the ending.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Like others said, buy Poto Oil items at the Night Market in Beiser. They can be used as a multi-target Heal Light, so you have 9 multi-heals per boss battle. In addition to that, make sure you're always stocked with candies, chocolate and honey.

Personally, I'd go with Riesz becoming a Valkyrie and then a Star Lancer. She'll (eventually) learn multi-target stat-up spells meaning you can leave stat-up items out of your item ring in order to keep room for healing items and she'll get a powerful multi-target summon that mutes monsters on top of that. Make Hawkeye a Ninja and then a Nightblade. He'll learn elemental single-target stat-down spells and eventually a single-target muting spell for pesky elite mooks and Weapon Slap to shave 20% off a boss' HP right off the bat, which avoids prolonging the fight long enough for you to run out of items. Angela is probably best turned into a Sorceress and then an Archmage. Most of Angela's final classes (except for the Rune Seer) are somewhat similar, but Archmage (and Sorceress earlier) get the highest Spirit stat, which determines how much HP your multi-heal items restore, so Angela should be your item user.

A stat-upped team fighting a stat-downed boss does so much damage and takes so little overall that boss battles should be over long before you run out of healing items.

Regarding AI-settings, the AI itself doesn't matter that much, just remember that certain strong enemies (and certain bosses) counter magic or high level techs so if you're up against those foes, you can disable your AI allies' use of high level techs and avoid provoking damaging counters.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I'd argue that Antimagic isn't really why you'd pick the Warlock, but rather because the Warlock has higher strength and more potent offensive casting power (due to Putrid Breath and the Great Demon summon) than the Necromancer. (whose main draw, the omni-debuffing spell Black Curse, is rendered a waste because you already have a dark Hawkeye in your group who can handle all the debuffing needs you'll ever need whether he ends up as Ninja Master or Nightblade)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It's not that big of a deal since Hawkeye has fairly stats, particularly the classes most dependent on those multiple factors. And if you primarily use ninja skills as debuffing tools, rather than offensive magic, the intelligence stat isn't even really relevant since the debuff effect is always the same no matter how high or low your intelligence.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The Benevodon of Air is the only boss where you had to go through a dungeon you visisted before. Okay, you were in the Fire Dungeon before, but 80% of the place was locked off the last time you were there. All the other places are new. I don't really see them making a radical departure from the "visit dungeon, fight boss"-theme since that's literally what the whole sequence is about. (and it's not too different from the gathering of the last 4 spirits in the previous act either)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Anyway I can’t wait until the remake comes out so that the Dex stat actually matters and critical hits are a thing!!

They appear to have actually axed the Dexterity stat entirely in the remake. In the character selection screen, the visible stats are Attack, Defense, Magic Attack, Magic Defense and Luck. It's obvious they're not trying to replicate all the old systems 1:1 but are setting up a new system to work with the new playing style.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SettingSun posted:

I resolved to play ToM without savescumming or savestates for my first run on the Switch and I learned of an interesting bug I didn't know about : After you class change the second time, if you keep opening ??? seeds you'll start to get tokens for all your classes instead of the two your characters qualify for. This is a problem if you class change one character the moment you get the token you wanted but not for the other two.

Specifically, this has a chance of happening if you promote to a Light -> Dark or Dark -> Light final class. It never happens on Light -> Light or Dark -> Dark final classes.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Vord posted:

So where's a good spot to farm equipment and class change seeds and also grind a few levels?

I got my party of Hawk(main), Riesz, and Duran about to hit up the last god beast but I am way under leveled for it and those ninja jerks love to use a skill that'll usually kill my entire party if their HP isn't 3/4 full.

So I assume you've reached Pedda and got yourself the latest armor? Unfortunately yes, Dark Assassins (Nightblades) are sincere assholes who love using Split Slash either if you piss them off or sometimes just when you enter the screen. Nothing you can do against that in the latter case. Otherwise, you can try to debuff their strength with either Hawkeye or Riesz so their class strike hurts less.

The first spot where you could get ??? and Gear seeds in Hawkeye's route was all the way back in the throne room of Nevarl Fortress where you exchanged the sword of Mana for Fairy, before you started hunting Benevodons. Returning to that room allows you to fight two Wormwoods (the Dark Force casting lesser demons) who either drop a Shade icon (common), a ??? Seed (rare) or a Gear Seed (über rare) upon defeat. Those Wormwoods should be weak enough for your party to curb stomp by the dozen by now.

Otherwise, you can also reliably farm ??? Seeds in the jungle screens outside Pedda. At night, you frequently run into Beholder enemies (the purple one-eyed spheres that cast Luna magic at you) whose drops (if a treasure chest pops up) is a guaranteed ??? Seed.

For Gear seeds, certain powerful enemies like the Dark Assassins and Wolfiends in the Night Cavern (and Demons and Black Knights too) are pretty much guaranteed to leave a Gear Seed if a treasure chest spawns. I suggest switching to your final class before grinding in the Night Cavern because all of those enemies have powerful class strikes or character attacks that target and either OHKO or heavily injure your entire party.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, but I always found the Poto method to be the most tedious one since you first have to wait for the PotoPoppies to spawn, potentially eating Lucent Beams in the meantime and when you slay them and they drop something, the loot is usually just medical herbs or claws. Compared to the Beholder enemies, whose drop is always a ??? seed and who start popping up right about the time you're around level 38, the Poto method always felt too much of a pain to bother with. Also, they have to be a certain level in order to have a chance to drop the seeds. If you visit Lightgazer's place too early, you won't be able to get the seeds at all.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, that's really, really low. I'm kind of amazed you made it through all the Benevodon dungeons and their bosses with those levels. In general, it's best to try and keep up with the levels of the monsters you face though obviously you want to avoid levelling up past level 38 until you get the promotion items you want.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
You might actually want to save just BEFORE those monsters die, since I believe the moment the final blow lands determines whether a chest gets left behind or not, not the brief moment between the monster poofing out of existence and a chest appearing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Shibawanko posted:

I don't think I ever made a party other than Duran, Angela and Charlotte. I felt that any proper JRPG party should have a generic sword guy as the main character, as well as a sexy female spellcaster and a healer, and anything else isn't the real deal.

You miss out on some very fun characters/combinations though. (as well as an entire final dungeon/final boss route) Riesz is pretty much like Duran, hard-hitting single strikes and fairly high HP and defense, except she gets buffing/debuffing magic (which always works) and a big damage full-screen summon at the end. Kevin's toolset is always pretty limited, but he's the hammer who makes every enemy look like a nail and his damage output easily exceeds Duran's. (Duran has stronger high-level techs/class strikes though) Hawkeye's final classes are the most diverse in the game and you can either make him a dual-hitting semi-mage, a fighter with damage-dealing debuffs or a really whacky support unit. Sometimes it's worth dismissing "realism" in favor of fun.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Well, to be honest, a Duelist (with or without unleashing his Quakebringer class strike) combined with a Dark Curse-debuffed boss and a Rune Seer spamming Annihilation can do plenty of boss melting and screen clearing. It just isn't the only way to go.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
In terms of motivations, Riesz is one hell of a lot more like a classic JRPG hero than Duran. Riesz starts her journey in order to liberate and restore her torched kingdom, avenge her slain father and rescue her kidnapped brother. Duran starts his journey because he got humiliated in a fight and he needs to soothe his wounded ego. XD

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Spikey Tiger is kind of infamous in its difficulty since it's kinda the last boss you can't abuse magic spam on.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Eventually, you'll also get a general idea of how much health an enemy, werewolf or otherwise, has at which point you can weaken them with normal attacks first and then finish them off with a spell they're weak to.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I tend to focus on Intelligence with Angela to keep her spells as strong as possible and alternate between Strength and Vitality if I hit the soft cap. If you're sharing a party with Duran and Riesz there's not much need to focus on Angela's strength since those two will take care of all the physical damage you need.

Agility determines damage caused by traps and projectiles (all the Rogue spells + the Ninja's shurikens) as well as the prerequisites to learning those abilities, but it's functionally useless on other classes.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a decent walkthrough for Trials of Mana written yet? I dunno if there's a current go to one. I'd check for Secret of Mana 2 or Seiken Densetsu 3 walkthroughs but they'd probably be using the old names and terms or whatever has changed.

There are a LOT of guides that have been written over the last two decades about Seiken Densetsu 3. Yes, they use the old names, but it's not that hard to figure out what or who they're referring to and no actual gameplay changes exist between the SNES rom and the version on the Switch. (which is the same SNES rom, bugs and all, wrapped in their own emulator)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Item Getter posted:

The specter's eye is useful for removing buffs from a few bosses that cast them.

The Specter's Eye (and its magical cousin Anti Magic or whatever's the spell called in the collection) have another unsaid effect; they strip an enemy/boss of their elemental absorption properties, allowing you to do stuff like cast Thunder Diversion on a wind-based boss to lower its defense. (usually the boss would absorb the attack and the debuff wouldn't proc)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I suspect, like with the night market items, the developers were worried that some players would create weak class combos that would get screwed, so they left some ways to brute force through the game.

I suspect they were right to worry because the item restrictions are kind of dependent on your party composition. For a team consisting of Duran, Kevin and Riesz, 9 fairy walnuts is pure overkill since that team is light on MP-consumption to begin with and tends to finish fights quickly due to their sheer damage output. For a team consisting of Angela, Charlotte and Hawkeye, having a steady supply of MP restoratives makes sense since their physical damage output is limited and they'd rely on their abilities to see themselves through.

Since item storage doesn't depend on what characters and classes you pick, there's no ideal way to balance this.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
More footage from the remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3GHDpg8jFM

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Personally I'm really curious how they're gonna pull off the Dangaard fight, now that you're required to manually dodge stuff.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Harrow posted:

Is there a place with the 2nd and 3rd class designs?

The website. It has a character section where you can select the characters' classes and it'll show you a brief description and render of that class.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Bruceski posted:

I don't think I ever finished Angela's prologue properly in the original, I'd die quickly and wake up in the next town.

It's possible by extremely fancy footwork and utilizing your range (or just running past everything), but after a few screens Angela simply collapses from hypothermia and the same thing happens as when you get clobbered by monsters.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Captain Oblivious posted:

What makes you think current understanding has significantly changed relative to GameFAQs in the early 2000s on a game that old? :v:

Some of the class names and skill names/spell names have changed with the new localization, so I imagine it might be confusing to some to hear about the wanderer rather than the nomad or the swordmaster rather than the edelfrei. It's not THAT confusing though.

That said, the info on Gamefaqs is pretty solid overall. Meeplelard's technical faq covers most of the mechanics if you're into that sort of stuff and there's lots of info on the various classes.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Torrannor posted:

We'll see how difficult the game will be. The early part wasn't that difficult in the original either. But of course, one change that's generally been received quite well might be a big culprit. I did die to the FMH when I first started the game. If you're not diligent with healing and have a bit of misfortune, he can easily kill party members with his unavoidable attacks (edit: especially his poison, which you might not have a healing item for if you're new to the game). But now you can evade those, which for any halfway competent gamer will make the game much easier. I wonder if there will be any unavoidable FSTs/spells left. Will Eruption Sword, Suzaku Sky Dance, or Split Image Slice still wipe an unprepared party? What about Ancient, Double Spell or Marduk? Can they all be avoided? Will enemy werewolves and ninjas no longer be the big party killers?

By the way, how did spells like Suzaku Sky Dance or Seiryuu Death Fist get translated in the official translation?

During the footage where a reviewer was heading through the ice labyrinth and fight Fiegmund, one of the knights started a Hollow Slash tech (the former swordmaster's Vacuum Sword tech) and it was preceeded by a damage cone just like the FMH's eye beams. I imagine most techs will be dodgable to some degree although some may have a massive AOE that makes avoiding damage harder than from what the first boss threw at you.

Those techs are now called Suzaku Aerial and Seiryuu Strike.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

gandlethorpe posted:

Noob question about OG game: can you dash toward enemies in combat, or that just my AI allies being cheaters?

Side note: I was a spoiled emulator player and used tilde all the time to save time

In the original, your allies tend to run up to the nearest enemy and THEN go into their weapon stance whenever you draw your weapons. It's a semi AI cheat.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Thanks for the detailed answer. Did spirit determine the power of summons and holy damage spells in the original or was that a mistake in some of the guides? Also are there some articles or text resources on spoiled mechanics so far, or another forum somewhere with good information? I want to know more, but I have no patience for videos.

In the original, the spirit stat determined the damage summoning spells (dark Charlotte's monster summons and all of Riesz' summons) and Holy Bolt/Lucent Beam. This made Charlotte's holy spells hit harder than Angela's.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

timp posted:

SD3 was always a one player game for me so I'm not sweating it that much, but you're not wrong. It'd be especially fun if there was online multiplayer and we could get some goon teams assembled. FWIW though it seems like the current combat system may be set up for the player to control all 3 characters, switching when each one is close to being able to unleash a special.

I know nothing about making video games and even less about netplay. Is co-op the sort of thing that could theoretically get added as DLC or some other update in the future? Or would that be virtually impossible?

Impossible, no. Improbable, yes. Very yes. Some people who played the demo complained about some of the animations and griped that it felt like a "budget release". That's probably a little unfair, but not entirely wrong. It's not a triple-A release like Final Fantasy VII's remake. It's a game Squenix considered niche, also resting in the shadow of one of the most ambitious RPG releases in years, so it was given a niche budget. It's obvious the team members were big fans of the original and tried to make maximum use of the means at their disposal, but they stated early on that they wanted to use those means on other areas of the game.

They might change their mind and add something later if the game sells unexpectedly well, but... well, Final Fantasy VII.

Phantasium posted:

The same team put co-op in the Secret of Mana remake, I imagine they could add it, but iirc they thought because it wasn't a top down view anymore it wouldn't work as well?

If the game'd been top-down like Secret of Mana, implementing multiplayer would have been as simple as simply adding another input for the other character and everything else'd be the same. Here, they'd have to implement a split-screen mode in order for it to work well.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

gandlethorpe posted:

I hope ??? Seeds are less RNG, if they even keep that mechanic intact.

Apparently ???-Seeds can now be found in chests though you'll only get a few of those that way and you have to grow the rest if the ones you got aren't what you want.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Folt The Bolt posted:

Someone datamined the demo, and it got us some knowhow of how the 4th tier classes work.

They are essentially a combination of the third tier classes that preceded them.

That will either lead to some very pointless results (Angela's light classes) or some very solid ones. (Angela's dark classes, Hawkeye's light classes)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Item Getter posted:

New Game+ only seems pretty mean for an extremely faithful remake of a game that a lot of the audience has already played

It kind of depends. If there's no special conditions for New Game+, like being forced to use the same characters as the ones in your savefile, then it's not that bad seeing that this is a game that greatly encourages multiple playthroughs anyway.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's very funny to me going back and looking at the original art for the classes (especially the skimpier ones that people were complaining about, like Fenrir Knight) and realizing that the new renders are completely faithful to the original concept art.

SD3 was horny all along!

Given the fact that the original version had Angela do her rear end-shake for her Light-class class strike and most of the characters slept in bed wearing nothing but underwear, you could argue the original was even hornier than the remake.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

gandlethorpe posted:

These designs are certainly as horny as the current models, with just the angle leaving more to the imagination.

https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Angela?file=Angela_Magus.png
https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Riesz?file=Riesz_Fenrir_Knight.png

What are the sources of these? All I can tell is that they've been around for a few years, but not whether they're from way back in the 90s.

They are. They were official art made for the SNES version back in the day (the pictures on the status screen in the original game were based on them) and are also part of the Art of Mana artbook.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Bruceski posted:

Main Trials mechanic I want to know in advance rather than learning myself: do enemies still counter screen-freezing attacks, and if so is it telegraphed better?

I believe all enemy attacks are telegraphed so even if they'd counter, you'd theoretically have a split second or so to get out of the way.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Folt The Bolt posted:

Interestingly, Ninja Hawkeye does not have the same problem as Angela; his jutsu spells (and Shuriken) are all learned by putting points into Luck. The jutsus also do not require the requisite elemental spirit which is something that's been changed from the original, but they still use Hawkeye's MGC ATK stat rather than LCK vs. DEF that Shuriken does. Basically, boost Intellect and Luck for Hawkeye to keep his spell damage high.

Actually, in the original the ninja skills didn't require elemental spirits either. When you cast them, you wouldn't see the spirit appear unlike with Angela's spells.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Torrannor posted:

Another thing faithfully adapted from the original :cheeky:

That was honestly the one thing I had been hoping they'd rebalance a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

EponymousMrYar posted:

They also dupe if your character's class changed before. I got through the latter chapters of Duran/Angela/Kevin and my first 4 seeds (I had 8 brought over with NG+) were one of each option for Duran/Angela, in order. Kevin got 2 dupes in the 6 pull I did (despite being on a different branch.)

The weird thing with Mintas and the Duskmoon Forest is that it's always dark there now. I remember in the original game that it went to a normal day/night cycle after plot events happened in it, but now it's just always dark. It would make a good grinding spot for Kevin parties if grinding XP were necessary :v:

I'm actually pretty sure that those areas were always dark in the original too.