Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How is this remake compared to the original? I played the demo and it was pretty fun (bad voice acting aside) but idk am I better off just getting the mana collection or what. I haven't really played much of these games besides playing some of the Adventure remake on my phone a while back and bouncing off of Sword of Mana very hard back in the day because of its cutscenes being really long and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That's good to hear, guess I'll give it a go

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As much as I like FF7 Remake, I don't really have any desire to see other games in the series get the same treatment. FF16 would never see the light of day if they did that and I'd be 90 years old waiting for Part 3 of FF9.

FF6 would benefit from the SD3 treatment, staying pretty faithful, maintaining more or less the same level of scale, but polishing up the gameplay to be more balanced and playable by today's standards. Maybe add some more character interactions since the party gets pretty quiet in the second half of the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it’s because the animations for some moves can be deceptive and the red telegraphs are a more accurate indicator of what the actual hit box for the attack is like. An example is the hatchet-throwing enemies in the first cave, if you’re standing at the edge of the red line you will still take damage even though the axe looks like it should go past you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ys games are basically the gold standard for simple but challenging Action-RPG combat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

local F2P game that you can totally get tons of enjoyment out of without ever spending a dime mysteriously makes 100 million dollars in two weeks! scientists are mystified!

(I tried it for a few hours, it was boring and nakedly cynical like all gacha games)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alxprit posted:

What does that even mean

nakedly
adverb
in a way that is obvious and unpleasant:

cynical
adjective
concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

one of the first things you run into in the game is a tutorial on how to gamble with real world money to unlock characters, the game gives you challenges where you preview one of the characters you can gamble for so you can experience how much ridiculously better they are than the free characters. Abundant daily login rewards and mundane tasks that are designed entirely to be habit-forming. It’s just got all the bells and whistles of a miserable gacha game, a tedious and empty grindfest meant to entice people into spending hundreds of dollars gambling for virtual waifus

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

incredible, the vote is almost perfectly organized along lines of horniness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I started playing Trials again and was worried the combat would feel like garbage coming fresh off a Ys game but it holds up surprisingly well. Man though, what kind of sickos make the A button the default button for attacking?