Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I think I finished Trials at 25 hours or so, it's longer than Secret of Mana but not on the level of a Final Fantasy game or anything.

Just finished a co-op run of Trials of Mana (Hawk/Reisz/Angela), the buff/debuff combinations sure make boss fights a lot smoother than I remembered. I think back in my early emulation days I was too dumb to make use of most of the magic outside of Angela's spells. Though I got kind of annoyed with player 2 pausing the game with magic spamming all the time, and trying to resist the urge to start another game using Kevin and sabers/techs instead of bringing Angela along.
I'm surprised the official translation didn't change Kevin's name into something less lame. I always think it's kind of funny when JRPGs have kewl badass fantasy characters who are given really normal sounding Western names. (The other ones I can think of off hand are FF6 Tina/Terra and the half-dragon lady in Valkyrie Profile who was named Amy in Japan).

About halfway into Secret of Mana now which I never touched for more than an hour.

Of course Secret of Mana is regarded as the classic overseas since Trials was never released, so I was curious how it was received in Japan. I was pretty surprised that in Japan it only sold about half as much as Secret of Mana in spite of being a much better game in most regards, anyone know why that is?
Did SoM just have a big novelty factor for being an early party based action RPG, and there were a lot of diminishing returns for the sequel?
I read about Square cutting back how many units of cartridges were produced due to disagreements with Nintendo but other stuff from the same time like Chrono Trigger still sold very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
You can only store 9 items of a kind in the ring menu but up to 99 of anything in the storage.
If you're not using a healer character you should absolutely stock up on lots of candy, chocolate, faerie walnuts etc. and then take them out of storage when you are running low in the middle of a dungeon. There are a couple of times where you will go through multiple dungeons and bosses without convenient access to a shop in between and it will be a big help.

Especially Poto Oils from the Night Market in Beiser as they are pretty cheap and let you do a full-party heal that scales up depending on the Spirit stat of the character using the item.
In general a lot of the items from the night market are extremely useful though their purpose is not explained very well in the game. Outside of the poto oils, the scales function as buffs and the claws function as saber spells. The specter's eye is useful for removing buffs from a few bosses that cast them.

Playing Secret of Mana after Trials I was kind of shocked that you can only carry 4 of anything and valuable items like faerie walnuts dropped from enemies will disappear if you are already carrying 4.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I actually really preferred the strict item limitations in Secret of Mana. When I played the game as a kid I hated it, but now that I care about difficulty and want some challenge from games, I think it’s much better. Trials of Mana (feels really weird to write that, since I’ve only ever played the ROM, but I guess that’s its name now) gives some classes cool tools to generate MP, but they’re meaningless unless you impose restrictions on yourself because it’s impossible to run out of fairy walnuts after a certain point. Effectively unlimited healing removes any tension from easy fights, when otherwise you would have to play more carefully or consider whether you want to spend limited MP to avoid damage. Attrition is a key component of the old school RPG formula, but being able to carry effectively unlimited items in storage completely removes it from the equation.

I suspect, like with the night market items, the developers were worried that some players would create weak class combos that would get screwed, so they left some ways to brute force through the game.

I can see all that, it was just surprising when going to Secret of Mana after Trials was the only one I really had experience with before.
I'd be more or less fine with it if there was a minor quality of life thing where chests didn't disappear if you already have 4 of the item. I just had to start remembering which enemies drop what because of it, but it always feels like a missed opportunity when a chest disappears and I could have used the item.
Though right now in between the sunken continent and mana palace and wish there was a good way to restock a bit between them. Maybe I am missing something though.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I'm disappointed that the remake won't have multiplayer, especially since they have hopefully changed the really long spell animations that pause the game and are the one annoying thing about multiplayer if your partner is playing Angela.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Harrow posted:

One thing to note is that there's exactly one team comp that (assuming the spell lists are the same as in the original) can never have a healer: Hawkeye, Riesz, and Angela.

From what I can tell, the most important thing with team comp is story, especially because normal mode seems pretty easy.

I had that party in the latest playthrough of the original but ended up putting Charlotte in the party in this demo so I won't have to buy dozens of Poto oils and swap them out of storage all the time.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
New Game+ only seems pretty mean for an extremely faithful remake of a game that a lot of the audience has already played

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
How are people up to level 40+ when the game has been out for a day?
One thing I will say is that I guess things will improve once you class change and open up more slots, but you sure are picking up a lot of marginally-useless abilities all the time for the fact that you can only equip two of them at once on each character.
I love the dumb voice acting in this game like the outrageous Southern accents that Gnome and all of the dwarves have.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to beat Zenoa correctly. It has a special reaction to water magic but an ice coin is the only way to have that and hardly anybody will know to buy one.

You can kill the shapeshifters if you burn them down before they change shape but they seem to respawn instantly, so... not worth the effort.

I pounded him down but it mostly involved ignoring mechanics and letting Kevin whale on him with everybody else dead.

There is a chest with 3 Poseidon Claws on the opposite side of the Mana Goddess statue in the room before you fight it, so that is a fairly big hint of what element it's weak to if you at least know what the claws do. Normal attacks/class strikes using the ice saber effects from that have the same effect as water magic. Though those 3 alone will help a lot but not carry you through the entire fight.
On the other hand, compared to Zenoa or whatever it's called now the fight afterwards with Bill and Ben seemed like they were a lot easier than the original game. Maybe because it's possible to dodge their attacks now and they don't seem to have their counter anymore.

For people who have already finished the game (?!?!) can you confirm if you get to access the new postgame stuff by loading your last save or something instead of having to go through the game again in New Game+?

Random other thing, some people remarked about how hearing people say "class change" in voiced dialog is weird, but the one Amazon in the Laurent secret base say something like "Good luck attacking the castle, here take this candy" voiced out loud gave me a pretty good laugh.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 25, 2020

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The cannons are actually one of the few things that are a graphical downgrade from the original (since in the original you could see them flying over a mode 7 world map like in Secret of Mana). I imagine it's because they would have to take time to load in the world map.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I'm sure it's been asked before but do the ??? seeds work the same way as the original? You can reload and get into a fight to manipulate the RNG if you don't like the result you got at first?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Manxome Foe posted:

My kingdom for AI allies that don't stand directly in the in the path of boss attacks, or run into insta-death zones trying to attack the boss.

I liked how Charlotte kept saying "Hey, watch it!" to nobody in particular when walking blindly into fire traps in the fire caves.
At least they don't get stuck on walls and prevent you from leaving the screen like in Secret of Mana.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I thought it was cute that they kept the side view sections in the Woods of Wandara even though they presumably did it that way to better show the background scenery in the original and now it's a 3D game with a freely moving camera. Not only that but went a step further and added platforming to them.
There are a lot of neat touches like that in the game. Like I also really didn't expect to see the effect from the original game where you can look out from high up in the mountains and see the curvature of the earth in a 3D remake, but they replicated that effect as well.
Like a lot of people already thinking about the next run through the game. What does the New Game+ actually do if you don't use any characters from the first time?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

Anise's dungeon really needs some worthwhile loot or minibosses to break it up, it's just an endless ocean of trash mobs and nothing but healing items and item seeds as treasure. I ended up running past the entire second half instead of exploring.

And then as if to be as anticlimactic as possible, Angela with Lucent Beam+ killed the final boss's second phase in like 10 seconds :kiddo:

It sure is a low effort dungeon seeing as it's just all the major towns/castles in the game except with creepy lighting.
Out of curiosity what are the rewards for beating Anise at different time limits?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Alxprit posted:

I kind of like it, while it is low effort there was some effort in it. The way the areas are damaged to create new paths through them, and how they are damaged is appropriate, the various elements nearby "overflowing" into them. Altena's waterways and underground being frozen over, crystals overgrowing in Valsena, broken windows spewing strong winds in Laurent... there wasn't no thought put into it. Which is kind of the remake's ethos.

I do actually also like that part since it's like what each kingdom would be like if it was (more than temporarily) taken over by its enemies and fallen into ruin. I just mean it's low effort in the sense that it's only repurposing existing towns and super long because they could reuse every main character's starting town to make it.
Though I guess JRPG postgame dungeons with a lot of effort put into the design are pretty rare, the only one I can think of off hand is the Seraphic Gate from Valkyrie Profile (especially 2).

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah I think that you had bad luck, I used the ??? seed chest in the light benevedon's dungeon since it's near a save statue and was able to get the item I wanted after maybe 3 tries.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So when you pick up a ??? Seed, it is locked into whatever item it will grow into. I've so far found 5, and all of them were class change items for the same character. Is this really a thing I'm going to have to grind in 2020?

You can save close to the chest with the ??? seed and keep reloading and opening it until you get the item that you want. The Light Benevedon's ruins dungeon and (I believe) Woods of Wandara have a ??? seed chest close to a save statue if you haven't picked those up already.

It's certainly a thing they decided to bring back for the remake in 2020, well I guess everyone who played the original remembers them (if only due to how annoying they are) so they had to bring them back. If they wanted to keep the ??? seeds maybe they could have also added something like an NPC in the Black Market who will trade duplicate class change items for others.

sigher posted:

(Wandara was my favorite but it looks terrible here) which is a shame because the SNES was so drat beautiful.

Agreed that it doesn't look very good compared to SNES, though I thought it was cute that they kept (and expanded on) the side-view sections even though there's no point to having them in a full 3D game.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 9, 2020

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I saved, then planted and reloaded 3 times and got the exact same items from the seeds each time. Am I just that unlucky or is randomized on pickup rather than planting

Sorry it's randomized on pickup not planting. So try the chests I suggested if you didn't get them already, is all I can suggest besides grinding.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Not a Children posted:

She was my fave in the original as well. My charitable interpretation is that perhaps she was meant to have an archaic and formal way of speaking that was supposed to be played for laughs. She rarely if ever uses contractions, which is a dead giveaway for that archetype. The script as written and the actress's monotone kinda kills a good impression of that, though.

Yeah count me in as another one whose favorite in the original was Reisz but found her to be very dull in the remake. Even though I selected her as the main character in the original I just started using Kevin all of the time after a certain point. Looking forward to replaying the game with Angela

There should be a New Game+ option that just carries over nothing but ??? Seeds.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
To be fair, while many of the proper names from the fan translation sound nicer, it also had a lot of awful overly literally translated names like "God Beasts" and "Mana Holyland".

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
How good are the chances that Hiroki Kikuta is working on the soundtrack? I want to say he supervised the Trials remake re-arranged soundtrack and worked on an indie game recently (Indivisible?) so it might not be out of the question.
Also was disappointed in the lack of co-op in the Trials remake and this game, but oh well. Looks beautiful though.
The combat looked sort of loose and floaty in the video, but it's only a video of a pre-release version so who can say really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Phantasium posted:

100%, he's credited on the website as well as the people on the Trial remake.

Awesome, I didn't really do my homework and just watched the trailer.

Grimthwacker posted:

Chawwotte was a tweasure and we must pwotect hew wegacy. Gimme aww sorts of accents, infwections and whatnot. Go overboawd with it.