Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was playing through SoM on the Mana collection and thought I had permanently missed a Sword orb, thankfully the game is merciful and helps you catch up. But I decided that I have played the original to death and am going to give the remake a try. It’s very cheap on Amazon right now but they only have a few copies left.

The combat is so janky in the original, it’s very annoying. I heard a lot of criticism that they didn’t change much in the remaster but I hope the combat is at least less janky and imprecise. I also figure if I’m going to grind all the spells and get every rare drop I might as well get a trophy for it.

Trials is one of my favorite games of all time. For my playthrough in Collection of Mana I went with the all female party which turned out to be really good later on in the game. Angela was my main because her end boss was the only one I hadn’t fought in a playthrough. My first run I was Hawk and my second I was Kevin. Charlotte’s dark classes are kinda cool, Black Curse or whatever it’s called was great for the bosses. I tried to grind out some Gear Seeds but I only got a few. Anyway I can’t wait until the remake comes out so that the Dex stat actually matters and critical hits are a thing!! What’s up with RPGs from that era having their core stats just not work at all sometimes. See also FFVI with evade/magic evade, FFVII with the def from armor, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah it’s very frustrating when there’s no indication if you’ve “missed” and there’s little indication if the enemy has blocked your attack so it ends up feeling like you hit their sprite in the wrong section or something dumb like that.

I mean the first quarter of Trials is just a series of missed attacks because of the Dex glitch but at least I know that it’s happening!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Erpy posted:

They appear to have actually axed the Dexterity stat entirely in the remake. In the character selection screen, the visible stats are Attack, Defense, Magic Attack, Magic Defense and Luck. It's obvious they're not trying to replicate all the old systems 1:1 but are setting up a new system to work with the new playing style.

I’m not sure how I feel about that. Hawk’s whole shtick is based on the Dex stat and that’s what makes him unique.

Of course Duran’s whole thing was shields and we all know how well that worked :v: at least that will presumably be fixed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For the trophies for getting all the armor pieces in SoM remaster, do you have to keep them in your inventory? Or do you just have to have had them at some point? Like obviously you start with overalls but do you need to keep them until the end of the game? I assume not but who knows

Edit: also all weapons at lv 9 doesn’t include the sword I assume?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay cool that makes sense. I have a checklist which notes missable items so I’m good there.

I just hope that the overalls you start with count since you can’t buy them again after you get kicked out of Potos.

Also why are there only two save files?!?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Trials definitely does magic better than Secret. The fact that your magic selection varies based on your party and class selections helps make every playthrough feel fresh. Spells have charging times with the strong ones having both long charge times and huge mp requirements. I wish there were shortcuts but that will probably be in the remake. And then of course there are the spell items which are instantaneous. Poto oil is pretty great stuff.

SettingSun posted:

I resolved to play ToM without savescumming or savestates for my first run on the Switch and I learned of an interesting bug I didn't know about : After you class change the second time, if you keep opening ??? seeds you'll start to get tokens for all your classes instead of the two your characters qualify for. This is a problem if you class change one character the moment you get the token you wanted but not for the other two.

Oh man I’m glad I got lucky on my run, then.

I probably won’t play Trials again until the remake... but then again... it’s really great idk. And I am traveling next month...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is the game going to teach me how to assign spell shortcuts?? (SoM Remaster)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Phantasium posted:

I think you just push the shoulder button you want it assigned to when you have it highlighted in the menu? It's definitely not something it has to tell you about before you can use it.

Nothing happened when I did that.

Edit: apparently you can’t assign any shortcuts you’re playing co-op which makes zero loving sense but ok

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 27, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pa Potos also drop ??? Seeds and they spawn from Ma Potos. You can do that pretty early on. I got all my characters to their final jobs after like two or three Benevodons

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got so far behind in those little Inn cutscenes that I was getting the one where the heroes ask Poipoi what the sprite village is like waaay after I had already been there, like Northtown or something lol

I stayed at the Inn like 10 times in a row to get caught up. Some of the cutscenes are cute I guess, I’m not sure why there are so many. But it’s cool that the characters have more personality now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

Wake me when you unlock the summon that requires connecting with a hundred different Sword of Mana game files.

What the gently caress, I don’t even remember this part of the game

Oh god, it was on gba so that required a link cable :psyduck:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They made it way harder to grind levels for Popoi’s magic in SoM remaster, didn’t they? It looks like the spell animations aren’t long enough to be able to cast multiple times on an enemy before it does damage. Very annoying.

At least Primm’s magic is still easy to grind.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Either the rare drop rates are very low or I am very unlucky because I am having a very lovely time grinding the rare drops. I killed like 100+ Doom Swords and a lot of those National Scar book enemies with no drop. Nothing from Basilisks. I am in the Pure Land and got the Griffin Helm and the Dragon Coil from the Ice Thugs, but holy poo poo gently caress those Ghosts. They rarely even drop chests and when they do it’s not the item I want. And they are immune to all physical attacks which is so loving dumb!!!!! Lucent Beam costs 8mp and Primm doesn’t have MP Absorb! This is dumb!

I’m gonna do it anyway but gently caress am I missing anything here?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I managed to get the Pure Land stuff but that’s all of the rare drops I have so far.

I wish the bosses were way tougher. Right now the toughest thing about the Pure Lands is the Griffin Hands which do like 150-200 damage per hit and attack fast and relentlessly.

Edit: can you only get “super casts” of offensive magic? Or rather, do only offensive spells have special lv 8 animations?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you don’t buy the equipment from Neko at the Mana Palace before going there you will get murdered.

After my initial round of complaints I got to the Mana Fortress and have had no problems getting rare drops. There’s a save point midway through, right? Because it won’t let me leave with the rope and there doesn’t seem to be a mid-point where I can save. At least not yet. Anyway I got a spear orb and wanna get on that ASAP

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dorothea & Ingrid’s paralogue... that post scene... Dorothea is the best

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

No Wave posted:

I imagine a lot of people might drop the game around spiky tiger (witch's forest in general is kind of hard and unpleasant and it's not clear what is goin on). From there it's pretty smooth though I recall the pandoran ruins being a little rough though maybe i just thought they were ugly.

There are a lot of annoying enemies there and the music is very unnerving. Also,

Phantasium posted:

All the spook zones rules, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For some reason I thought Trials of Mana was going to be a Switch exclusive since Nintendo announced it and has been showing it off. But it’s also coming to PS4 and PC. Hmmmmm portability or trophies? Tough decision.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shibawanko posted:

The grand palace sucks but I like the underground city section just before it, with that subway that shows up out of nowhere.

Yeah, the Underground City is great, it’s such a shame that you can’t go back once you beat the Grand Palace.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s like a bajillion battle items in Trials in case you don’t have anyone with x spell you can use a consumable. Poto Oil is the best one, it’s multi-target heal ball(?) whatever they call it in the new one. There’s also buffs in the form of monster claws/scales, coins that cast different spells, etc. Only low level spells though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Maybe make it accessible for every protagonist? Or maybe they’ll add super bosses for each story?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wow Angela/Duran is definitely the horniest story path.

It’s creepy as hell reading the old guides on GameFAQ’s and having some creeper talk about how Angela’s special where she taps her butt is the best attack in the game :barf:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I bought Tales of Vesperia DE on PS4 instead of Switch for the trophies and slightly better graphics and tbh I regret it, my wife complains when I take over the TV to play it. So I will definitely be purchasing Trials on Switch.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ASenileAnimal posted:

i know im alittle late here but HOLY poo poo SD3 REMAKE i had no idea this was even happening im hyped as hell.

You’re lucky, the rest of us have been waiting since June you only have to wait like two months.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ASenileAnimal posted:

i hope they redo the magic attacks in the sd3 remake i remember it being kinda slow paced on the snes version and i dont have the patience to sit through long spell animations anymore. my goto crew was kevin/hawkeye/whoever can cast saber spells. that combo abolutely melted every boss.

The issue with spells was how you had to cast them from the menu every time. The game desperately needs quick commands, and it needs to be implemented better than SoM remaster.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m excited to finally make Duran a light class since shields will actually do something finally!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought Hawkeye’s trap spells ran off of his AGL stat, which was why he’s the only character for whom that stat matters?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Folt The Bolt posted:

You're not wrong? Hawkeye's trap spells, Rogue spells, Shuriken, and Nightblade spells keys off of Agility. The rest of his attack spells keys off of Intelligence though.

So poison bubble isn’t any of those I guess? I was confused by that post.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it possible to play Legend on a modern system? It’s a game I never got to play but always wanted to.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's on Playstation Classic, so if you have a PSP/Vita/PS3 gathering dust somewhere you can do it.

Or :filez:

Yeah I have a PS3. Maybe I’ll download it one of these days.

Edit: it’s only $6, nice. How long does it take to beat generally?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Phantasium posted:

Also the demo comes out on the 18th.

gently caress yeah!!!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Have they released the Trophy list for Trials yet? I’m just curious since I’m still not sure whether to get this on Switch or PS4. I’m leaning toward Switch for the portability.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I took the personality test and got Kevin. I’m not so sure about that... I’m gonna try the demo on both PS4 and Switch to see which one I like more, so I’ll probably play as Kevin in one just because.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I forgot that you only get two characters before Fullmetal Hugger if you don’t pick Charlotte which sucks but whatever. I did Kevin on my first run of the demo but he is insufferable so I don’t really want to use him in the full game.

I want to use Duran and Hawkeye, but I’m not sure about my third. My playthrough in Collection was Angela/Riesz/Charlotte but I don’t want to roll with three dudes because gently caress Kevin also Duran is strong enough and will learn light magic so I won’t necessarily need another heavy physical attacker. It’s tough to plan without knowing all the details of the classes ahead of time.

Edit: I’m gonna play the game like three times anyway so it doesn’t matter that much. Angela it is!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 21, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jackard posted:

I didn't realize there was a thread just for Trials of Mana so was posting in the Switch thread - just tried the demo and the camera/controls felt really clunky compared to the original, this wasn't a good trade for losing co-op.

I played the demo on both PS4 and Switch and this issue is really only on the Switch version. Not surprisingly, the PS4 version runs at 60fps and the graphics are much smoother. This is both good and bad. The art style doesn’t mesh well with being super smooth and crisp. On the other hand, the textures don’t look very good on the Switch and I had several issues with textures and even one enemy not loading until I got really close. And everything gets really blurry when you move the camera which made me a little bit motion sick. And my character seemed to run slower on the Switch? Maybe it’s because of the frame rate but movement and everything seemed sluggish as hell on the Switch. The voice acting and dialogue were just as sluggish as on PS4 though. No avoiding that I suppose.

Anyway now I’m conflicted because I wanted the Switch version for the portability but it runs very poorly. I’m definitely going to buy the game but I am gonna wait until closer to release to decide which system.

Another weird note, on PS4 the talk/grab item/select button is X while on Switch it’s A. Which, you know, aren’t in the same place on the controller. And somehow it took me a while to notice because it felt very natural that way.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

seiferguy posted:

The 4k and 60fps on the ps4 is why I'm choosing it over the switch version. Also, after the initial load, the game loads much faster overall.

When they initially announced it during Nintendo’s E3 Direct I thought it was just for Switch, which would have been great because they could have optimized it for the hardware. But instead it’s more like a weak port which sucks rear end.

Edit: dashing by pressing L3 is fine, I didn’t have issues with my character slowing to a walk unless I ran into something. It just seriously seems like I was running slower on Switch and I think it’s because of the frame rate and weaker hardware.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jackard posted:

Well it happened, a lot, but maybe it was just random - I'd have the stick at max tilt and then nope, walking again

I had a huge issue when playing BOTW where I would accidentally be pressing the stick too hard and it would make me duck in the middle of combat. So you might be accidentally pushing the stick down when you turn, causing you to stop running. I definitely didn’t have that issue in this demo unless I physically ran into something.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Angela cast a spell on her own during a fight. The AI is good, finally.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/managame/status/1244625677808218117?s=21

Look at that loving Switch :3:

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman