Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I just started with Angela, Hawkeye, Riesz and didn't realize that I have no healer. It's my first time playing this and I just want a chill experience. Should I restart with Duran or Charlotte included or will I be fine without a healer in the party? So far the game is showering me with healing items but I don't want to spend half of the game in the item ring when enemies start doing real damage later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So can anyone help me in deciding on classes for Angela (main), Duran and Hawkeye? I feel like I didn't do well on synergy but I'm too far into the game to restart. I'm thinking of going Light/Light with Angela for the Lucent Beam spam that I hear is wonderful. Since I have no healer should I go Liege for Duran? His damage will suck but he can tank too I guess. Hawkeye I was thinking Ninja Master for some debuffs for Angela and more magic damage. Does that sound decent?

I kinda wish I had gone Kevin instead of Duran but oh well, next run I'm definitely incorporating Kevin.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

timp posted:

I actually went Grand Diviner Angela, Liege Duran & Nightblade Hawkeye, which is exactly what you’re looking at.

I mean, I was definitely able to beat the game with that team no problem (on Hard difficulty) and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t use the crap out of Duran’s multiheal. I know items are available and plentiful but c’mon y’all, stocking items is annoying and you know it!

The only thing that felt a little superfluous to me was all of Hawkeye’s spells. Angela was more than capable of wiping enemies off the map with magic and I didn’t really notice a ton of benefit from the secondary effects of Hawkeyes attacks (debuffs, poison, max Hp down) but I will admit that I did quite enjoy the 10% instakill chance, way more than I thought I would.

If I were to do it again I might have tried DL Hawkeye instead just to try something different. But I loved Angela’s LL CS3 for clearing out mobs and Duran’s multiheals so I probably wouldn’t have changed those.

Hmmmm! Now you've got me torn between Ninja Master and Nightblade. Appreciate the thoughts on the rest though, I think I will go Liege after all then and just use Angela to destroy things. Maybe next run I'll do Edelfrei, Fatal Fist and whatever for Charlotte or Riesz.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to question my choice of starting over. I previously had Angela, Riesz and Duran but all of the Riesz is blah discussion changed my mind. I restarted with Angela, Duran and Hawkeye. Duran is doing fine, he sorta tanks and heals and does average damage. I went Light and kinda wish I went Dark instead but hopefully I get one of those class change items. Angela is pretty cool so far but I haven't reached 38 yet so shes not screenwiping everything with ease.

Unfortunately Hawkeye is really not pulling his weight and I suspect its because the AI is terrible with him. I've got him set to just attack, hold back 0% CS/MP and it still feels like he barely contributes. Right now he's Ninja and I planned on doing Ninja Master for some semblance of synergy with Angela. When I control him he's solid but I want to control Angela since her AI is just OK at best.

I'm not going to restart again, just whining because I should've just picked Kevin and called it a day. Oh well, there is always NG+.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got my class 3 for Angela and now I get what everyone was saying, jesus christ she just melts everything including Benevodons. Duran and Hawkeye are basically just accessories that she drags along.

I want to do a Kevin/Riesz/Charlotte run and be done with the game so I can move onto FF7R and Xenoblade DE. What's the best combo for this crew and who should I main? I assume Kevin because the AI is pants on stupid with melee dps. Or maybe I'll sub out Charlotte for Duran to speed things up? I haven't done a run with Charlotte but she seems kinda meh.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just finished my Angela run and yeah, she’s completely nuts in the last 30% of the game or so. But I think she’s noticeably weaker most of the time before that. Even then, compared to Divine Fist, Vanadys, Edelfrei, Angela only really felt better in the final dungeon against boss fights, and not by too much, while Divine Fist completely trivialized all the regular enemies. I don’t like the exaggerated inverse difficulty curve, but I don’t think Angela is all that overpowered with it taken into account.

Yeah, you should probably main Kevin. I would take L/L Kevin (ignore the healing, you’re here for CS spam), D/L Riesz (she has great CS generation, boosted by Divine Fist and can buff herself while debuffing enemies) and L/L or L/D Charlotte for melee support. D/L Duran would be better, since he fits better on a melee team while also giving great support (healing is not that important), but Charlotte will work just fine, too.

Yeah I thought she wasn't very strong before that unless you take Reclaim II, the 30% less MP in battle skill and the other MP after victory thing. Even then her AOE isn't that strong until Lucent Beam+.

I am a bit worried about fighting crap in Woods of Wandara with Kevin but its just one area and he pretty much excels everywhere else from what I've heard. I think I will go D/L Duran then instead of Charlotte since I'm not caring about trophies anyway and Charlotte seems really boring. Does the AI actually cast saber magic reliably or do I need to do that every fight?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp Black Rabite taught my cocky rear end a lesson. I have been steamrolling everything with Grand Diviner Angela and I have finally found a worthy foe. So I can't use Lucent Beam+ and my AI teammates (Hawkeye/Duran) are useless idiots who eat every attack by this thing. What's the best way to handle it? I tried Doppleganger but it takes so long to fire and locks me in which results in getting hit by its attacks. The AI is constantly wasting my cups and my team has no resurrection spells.

In a separate save I'm doing a NG+ with Kevin, Charlotte and Duran. Maybe I should just use this team to nuke Black Rabite instead since it seems like Kevin will demolish the thing even on Hard?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So despite declaring I wasn't going to bother with platinum, I find myself only 2 trophies away so I'm going for it. Doing third playthru now and this remake has a lot of issues which bother me. The load times are obnoxious and numerous due to all of the backtracking. The worst offender is taking 15 minutes to switch classes for all three characters because of all the back n forth.

Too many of the character builds are technically viable but sort of unfun to play. As mentioned many times by others they were way too generous with healing items which makes support characters a hindrance because damage trumps all. Castable buffs are fine for bosses but useless for everything else, you're better off just picking builds with auras whenever possible.

Your buffs seemingly don't persist between fights which makes some character builds kind of useless outside of bosses because normal enemies don't last long even on hard. The game lacks any sort of challenge outside of a first playthru and 2 bosses, one of which is optional. This really needed some sort of challenge mode or something for your godmode characters in New Game Plus.

Anyways I'm going to finish out today with the platinum and I enjoyed my first playthru but I can't see myself ever going back to this. Which is fine, I got my moneys worth. Just a shame that they didn't get a bit more budget because they could've really fleshed this out a bit. I hope the fact that it sold decently will mean better things for future Square remakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah. I did playthrus with both and found bosses simply melt with ancient curse, it's kind of absurd. Lucent Beam+ is definitely the fastest at clearing trash but you can do that easily enough with other spells anyway, LB is just the most convenient option. On ng+ you're one or two shotting everything anyway.