Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Is the SoM one still the port of the mobile game like it was on the PC?

Genuinely floored by the insane cost though. Like I remember buying SoM new for £30 and that was a LONG time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

timp posted:

Not exactly sure if I understand what you're asking but the Secret of Mana included in the Collection of Mana seems to be a direct port from the SNES version as far as I can tell

I agree with you on the price, $40 felt a little steep for three old games, two of which I've basically already beaten about 3 times each. But as another poster mentioned above, I eventually just chalked it up to supporting the release of good classic games. I played SD3 for free for many years and hopefully at least some part of my $40 will go to the original developers.

Basically what Phantasium said - the remake was really clearly made by the people who made the phone ports and controlled like a phone game.
I just want to know if this version is like that or not. Because it not, it might even be worth playing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Is the AI off by default in SoM or something? I played it when it was new with my brother as a kid but I definitely remember the third party member actually doing stuff and now the other party members literally just stand there, it's absolutely infurating and is making playing impossible.

I'm seriously regretting buying it now, even though I played relatively recently on an emulator it just all seems a lot more annoying. I especially don't like that I can't hide the banners in the side bars, please let me make them black because it's super distracting otherwise!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jazerus posted:

no but they tend to be really bad at the default range/aggressiveness settings. one of the menu screens lets you change their AI priorities

Ah thanks, I thought maybe it'd been turned off but I couldn't find where to go to sort it.

It's also a bit baffling that B is the default select/attack key but A is the default key in the ROM menu. I know it can be changed, it's just strange.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Phantasium posted:

The AI in Secret of Mana was never good, that's just bad memories.

Like yeah you can shuffle it around but they're always going to amble around stupidly vaguely in the direction of enemies and also get caught on literally every bit of the environment.

Yea I never said it was good but there's a REALLY big gap between "badly attacking and getting hurt" and "literally standing in front of the baddies doing nothing".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shoenin posted:

4. for equipment? Shouldn't have to, it should show what difference is when you select yes the 1st time when it asks if another memeber wants it.

You'll have to L and R to the other characters to see what the difference in stats would be. Just buy the most expensive armour/weapons you can whenever they come up. You'll be doing it loads. I'm going to say the SD3 equipment screen is far more loving faff to sort out than it was in SoM.

I hope that in the remake they make it a bit more modern. I'm 10 hours in and not too far (in terms of story) off finishing the game and I'd really forgotten the 8 Benevedon bit. It's really tedious. I'd forgotten that there's no way (at least for my party of Angela/Duran/Lise) to see the health of a boss so fights feel like they're going on for ages.
Also quite annoying that everything has new names in this translation so finding guides isn't easy.

I just did the fight on the back of flammie and it took so loving long, Christ they're proper hp sponges at the end

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 27, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Erpy posted:

The main thing with that last fight you mentioned is that every time the perspective changes, the battle gets re-initiated, resetting all buffs and debuffs. The best way to quickly (and I mean QUICKLY) end that battle is to put Stone Saber on Duran and Riesz and buff their strength (in that order, or the saber spell will cancel the strength buff) and if Riesz is a Rune Maiden, lower the boss' defense. With strength buffs and sabers, you'll be chewing through the boss' HP so quickly it'll barely have time to attack.

I just cast dark force over and over. Duran is a knight. No sabre spells.
I was doing 500 per hit and recasting my buffs and it still felt like ages, I really want a health bar!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

acksplode posted:

You can select the item anyway and you'll get prompted to hand off to another character, it's still awkward but easier

Yea you can obviously but they want to see the stats

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Erpy posted:

You don't need to be a Gladiator in order to have primary elemental saber spells. Just buy a handful of bear claws at the Night Market in Beiser that mimic the effect of Stone Saber. Duran and Riesz will easily be doing between 200 and 300 points each normal attack with that on and you can still throw in attack magic to pile on some additional damage. That boss' HP was as high as it was because of how easy it is to bust it down with the right tools.

Having it high is boring and poo poo because the majority of people aren't doing that.
Duran and Lise aren't doing anything and 90% of the damage is me

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Erpy posted:

Sounds to me like your boss battling strategy is just spamming offensive spells without even pressing the A-button at the start of the fight to signal your AI allies to start attacking. That strategy worked in Secret of Mana, but it's the single-most inefficient and sub-optimal way of beating them in Trials. First of all, Angela's not mandatory, so the game doesn't even count on a spellcaster in your party, magic use pauses the action so you can't chain-cast it anymore and some bosses and stronger enemies go Barbatos Goetia on your rear end the moment you start trying to nuke them down with spells or high-level techs. The main source of damage in Trials against bosses is generally buffed-up physicals, with or without sabers depending on whether the enemy has an elemental weakness and magic's mostly there to quickly nuke stronger randoms or to act as a source of secondary damage against bosses with elemental weaknesses and without hair-trigger counter tempers.

So yeah, it's not the game this time, it's you. ;)

Thanks for being massively condesdending. I've played it before and I am hitting them but specifically with the Flammie battle Duran and Lise weren't doing anything for most of the fight.
Not the other bosses, just that one.

I just want to know the health of the enemy so I know how long it's going to take to kill. That's it. I don't see why that's a problem. Or see a guide with the health in like I could with SoM.

It's not that the fight is hard, I'm just really bored of it after 5 minutes of not knowing how long there is left of it to do.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 28, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm really interested to see the Benevedons in the remake, because the sequence with them has definitely made me just give the game up.
I hope they jazz it up, make it less "land here, run through a bit you've sort of done before, fight a boss" repeat x8

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The combat is so janky in the original, it’s very annoying. I heard a lot of criticism that they didn’t change much in the remaster but I hope the combat is at least less janky and imprecise. I also figure if I’m going to grind all the spells and get every rare drop I might as well get a trophy for it.

It's one of those things where I really don't remember enemies being totally unhittable while they're recovering from a hit and somehow that ruins trying to play for me. The timings of attacks all feel "off", I dunno.
I'm sure it was like that before, but I guess I didn't know any different when the game was new.

Erpy posted:

The Benevodon of Air is the only boss where you had to go through a dungeon you visisted before. Okay, you were in the Fire Dungeon before, but 80% of the place was locked off the last time you were there. All the other places are new. I don't really see them making a radical departure from the "visit dungeon, fight boss"-theme since that's literally what the whole sequence is about. (and it's not too different from the gathering of the last 4 spirits in the previous act either)

It's just extremely repetitive. Give me some story, a little break up. I dunno.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jazerus posted:

snes games were coded in assembly and not playtested to the same extent that modern games usually are. so a combination of it being really easy to introduce bugs by grabbing the wrong register, and the more subtle ones going unnoticed. the difficulty curve feels fine in sd3 and ff6 so the lack of critical hits or misses just didn't register for the playtesters, who didn't necessarily know that those mechanics were supposed to exist in the first place

They're a shitload more abstract than a bug that makes the game crash or a boss doing double damage and etc as well.
Just think how many people were unsure if agility really was broken or not and that sort of thing. It's not easy to tell, or at least in the past it wasn't.

And it's super easy to tell yourself "yea, it DOES feel faster now I've increased that!"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Brosnan posted:

Apropos of nothing other than this being the thread for it, Secret of Mana is probably my favorite game of all time through a mix of it being the only JRPG where I actually liked the combat, the story being sparse and melancholy (because of them having to save memory and time on the translation lol~), and a big fat dose of nostalgia.

I tried several times to get into SD3, but somehow the combat feels so stilted and dumb in comparison. Always wished they'd do a sequel that didn't try to reinvent systems just for the sake of it, because every game since has been kind of bad and eventually I stopped paying attention to new releases in the series.

You know, before I played this re-release I'd have said the same thing but the combat feels really loving poo poo in SoM to me now.
I've played it relatively recently on an emulator (maybe 8 or so years ago) and it didn't feel as clunky and horrible then. That cooldown before you can hit them again is just really annoying.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

No Wave posted:

I don't mind the cooldown (honestly it keeps combat more interesting/balanced) but the spells system is kind of busted. If you commit to using them fairly the game's fine etc and it could be easily fixed by just giving the casters cooldowns.

Well casting spells also requires fuckloads of faffing in menus.
Which again - fine when I originally played in 1993 but is such a pain now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

The fight isn't really that hard, just throw a wishing cup at sprite if he dies and hit spiky tiger with regular attacks, he doesn't have much health. It's just that he can kind of stunlock characters which seems intimidating when you first face him.

It's the hardest fight in the game and every time I've played I've always SUPER struggled with it.
It's easier with save states but it absolutely loving sucks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The issue with spells was how you had to cast them from the menu every time. The game desperately needs quick commands, and it needs to be implemented better than SoM remaster.

Menu and it pausing while you cast both sucked, they really did.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm shocked how good the remake is, honestly. It's even made the Benevedon bit (which I found tedious previously) good.
The only bit I'm unhappy about is the ??? seeds. Man it's annoying having 8 of them and still not being able to class up Reisz, especially when she's level 46 now. Although potentially knowing where to put my stat points does kinda make up for the seeds still existing, I've not quite made up my mind.

Absolutely loving that they've managed to do things the original game wanted to do but it didn't quite work properly. Like the small creatures village, god that was such a disappointment in the SNES one and amazing in this.

I do like that you can save your stats though! I think I'd have preferred it if they just got rid of the items to change altogether or made it so every other Benevedon dropped an item that allows you to change at 38 maybe.

Angela is Dark/Dark for me and yea, it's weird how she's basically naked. And that Reisz has a kinda child face? Bit perculiar.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Yeah, they really shouldn’t have locked the 3rd tier classes behind an item. Just gating it to level and making it so you can only do it at the sanctuary is enough. Of course, that wouldn’t really be in the spirit of the remake.

I loved the original and have been looking forward to this game a lot and it’s exceeded pretty much all my expectations. Reviews were pretty average, but I hope it is selling very well. Buzz in the community, at least, seems pretty positive.

It's selling okay, although really what we'd need to know is how they EXPECTED it to sell rather than how it has sold. God I really want them to do this to Secret of Mana and also Secret of Evermore.
Although the reviews of the game I'd seen have been really positive which is the main reason I decided to actually pick it up.

I feel like "quality of life" stuff does include getting rid of the lovely item although I understand they've made it easier (by putting them in the dungeons in boxes) AND they've put the point you class up much earlier too which is nice.

In other news can anyone tell me where Lil Cactus is in the woods that the tree Benevedon lives in? I didn't see him there at all and I went there first. I find that trying to get info like this from online guides is so much shittier nowadays than it was in the past, god drat.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Angela (who is my main character) getting mana from attacking is mad, +3 each time is loads really considering how the game worked with mana previously.

I really want to change dodge and jump around because I (just like in Ys) jump when I want to dodge loving constantly but for some reason it won't let me. I set the key, then it says press right mouse to leave and it just won't let me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've even tried changing it to something that isn't being used so I can then go back and change it to space, but nope. It's annoying.
That said I do find myself pressing the wrong buttons loving constantly anyway, I am CONTINUALLY pressing E to access the menu instead of tab for example.

Thanks for this!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BurningCourage posted:

It seems like indeed the ??? seeds are set at least when you open the chest? I tried savescumming the second one I got (as it was a 2nd Lotte item I didn't need) and got the salt bottle every single reload, so they must be set at least from obtaining them if not when you start a save file period.

I saved it before opening the chest in the woods and regrew it 3 times
Each time it was the same item, so they're probably set when you create the save.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Melomane Mallet posted:

Nah, it's set on chest open. That's how I got the items I wanted. Granted, it took approximately five million tries to get Duran's battle tag, but it does work.

Then I'm unbelievably unlucky.
It's a shame that other than the woods the other chests all seem to be quite deep in the dungeons.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I really enjoyed the dwarfs and Gnome having prospector voices, it made me laugh.
But I was a bit disappointed that Watts was a recoloured dwarf instead of looking like he does in the original.

It's interesting to me that in this one I feel like magic is amazing against regular enemies and a bit poo against bosses - unless they have a specific weakness - whereas in the original it's definitely 100% the other way around.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm just about to finish my first playthrough with Dark/Dark Angela, Light/Dark Duran and Dark/Dark Reisz and man I'm blown away by how good debuffs are. Casting the magic defence debuff then casting Ancient Curse is phenomenal against any normal enemy regardless of level.
And I still think magic is better against normal baddies than bosses. Yes there are some bosses that Ancient Curse really fucks up but a lot of them like to move and it just totally misses if they do.

I still feel like the summons for Reisz are weird. Not that they're bad, it's just "Summon Hexen" or whatever is a bit meaningless and nothing else in game really does summons. Is it a reference to something else outside of this game or what?

I played with these three through the original game most recently so playing them now it's mad to see how different it is. And good too, I'm really liking it.

As a Liege (which is a poo poo name compared to Lord in the fan translation) Duran gets a stamina ability at around 21 that gives him 20 extra health. That's it. +20.
Surely that's hosed up and it's meant to do something else?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

It's just a permanent stat boost. You get the same for MP and the other primary stats.

With MP though you've got like 150.
Duran went from 1260 health to 1280.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I feel like if I was in charge of remaking I'd have changed ??? seeds and the class change statue/stones somehow to make them a bit easier to reach without having to walk at all.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Lol I just beat the game and watching the credits and the voice of a minor character named "Elder" was...

Rusty Shackleford

Bizzarely I came here to say the exact same thing! Proper weird

So I'm doing the Angela post game fight. I've not had any problem with any fight in the entire game but Angela's double is absolutely SMASHING me up because at no point can I stand still or it kills me.
What the hell am I meant to do, do I need loads of resistance gear or something?

Edit: this fight loving sucks, I'm glad none of the fights in the regular game were like this. Dodging out of her attack when it chases me is infuriating

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 9, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I managed to do it by dodging the regular spells and ONLY casting on fauxangela when she was casting her ton annihilation since she stood about.
Honestly I don't feel like the game is really set up to work with those split second dodges.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

It's definitely a weird difficulty spike and probably even harder than Black Rabite. I enjoyed it a lot though, probably my favorite fight in the game.

It's not so bad once you get the timing down but it's way more uh, for want of a better term Dark Souls-y than the rest of the game. Just have to learn the vulnerability timings and also don't let yourself get pushed into the walls.

e: I don't know if you're fighting the Final Light or Final Dark version but for the Light one the really dangerous attack is the L4 class strike, there you have to notice the attack name being announced and then move perpendicular to the attack. You don't have to dodge but you do have to keep moving in a straight-ish line. After that she's got a massive cooldown where you can unload a whole bunch of Holy Bolt spam.

I was Dark so she was light.
Really, just not a fun fight for me at all. I would have put the difficulty down to the bottom (i'm on normal) but I couldn't even find out how to do that.

So glad I managed to kill it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so, my review of this game after the fact is that it's a surprisingly fun and faithful remake and upgrade, but its potential is busting through the seams of that faithfulness and it's ultimately limited by the original game.

I would really like to see a new Mana game built on this engine that has more active abilities and fewer passive ones, and whose story isn't actively insipid.

It really is kind of a theme in Mana games that the limitless power of Mana never does anything useful except for sometimes, maybe, partially undoing some of the damage done by people trying to seize it to rule the world.

I guess there's a chance that's what they're going to do next? I'd like that. It's a game with a VERY high proportion of people having the "completed the game" achievement on steam too which is a good sign.

I really wish the game would let you skip dialogue (when I've already read it and don't want to hear it) without it also skipping like...3 other sections of dialogue.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I didn't have much trouble with dark Angela. I was 5 levels higher than her though. I just dodge rolled and cast stuff at her whenever she vomited herself to a long casting time spell. Like some of the big area effect ones if I got out of the way I could pop off two Lucent Beam+ while her attack animation had to finish

I mean this is effectively what AI light angela did to me - Ancient Curse takes loving ages to cast so you can't use it against her pretty much.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This remake is great. They should remake Secret of Mana next! :suicide:

They really really should.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oo Koo posted:

Yes you can, just slot a good stagger resistance ability and stack magic defense abilities and you can wade right through anything except ton annihilation while charging ancient curse and chow down on chocolate afterwards while she gets wrecked by meteors. Angela is pretty great at facetanking magic damage if specifically specced for it.

That's a lot of loving faff though considering the entire rest of the game (including bosses for the other characters and stuff after that fight) don't require anything like that.
It's rubbish, if I wanted a hard fight I'd be playing on hard.

seiferguy posted:

For ??? seeds, I went to the Dryad forest (with the pumpkin god beast), and those queen bee enemies drop them at a relatively frequent pace. Once you get 6, if you plant them all at once you'll get 1 of each. Super easy.

While you're totally right about the bees that's not how it seems to work. I had 5 and planted 5 and still got a lot of duplicate items.

The stories are Kevin/Charlotte, Hawk/Reisz and Angela/Duran.
I really like the bit (end game spoilers) where the bosses for the other characters just gently caress off when you're in the mana sanctuary. It's less strange feeling in the remake but it's still weird, for sure.

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 9, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Locke posted:

If you're Dark/Dark Angela just use Dark Force on her instead. It's pretty instant-cast and will still chunk her for significant portions of her life because Dark Force is largely a Tier 3 spell hiding in a Tier 2 body. Just rejigger your skill setup going in, because you're losing Wound Magic All's potent boost for this fight so your damage is going to be less stratospheric then you're used to.

Yes, I used dark force spell wise and cast it only when she was faffing around.
But I didn't like that it requires you to actually care about your spec in any way, unlike every other fight in the game (on normal)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've never played Legend, I guess it's part of the collection on the switch but it feels too old for me to play now. Hell, I loved SoM when I was younger but I can't play it now because of the way the attacks work so I can't imagine how annoying Legend would be.
I'd way rather Mana or Evermore got remade like this.

Or a new game in the same series. Seiken Denetsu 4 when

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SettingSun posted:

Legend of Mana is a different game on PS1. The game on the Collection is Final Fantasy Adventure, the first Mana game.

Ah okay. Until just this moment I'd never heard of Dawn of Mana either. Another mid 2000s JRPG that never got released in Europe, like Suikoden 3 and others.

I've started over with Kevin/Hawk/Charlotte and Charlotte has actually grown on me. She has a kinda southern american voice and it's a lot less annoying than I expected.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

seiferguy posted:

That's because you need 6, not 5 :v:

It seems mad that having 6 gives you all 6 possible items but having 5 could give you just 2 unique ones.
Surely that's not intended!

I'll definitely do it this time over though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Is it my imagination or did the game have a lot of springy yellow things before the remake? They occupy quite a bit part of my memory of the game but you barely see them in this.

I also feel like the way you get the mallet to get to the Koropokkur is the biggest indicator this is a remake of an old game of anything else in it. It's just so easy and almost pointless, they might as well have Reisz's guys just hand it to you. I feel like if this was genuinely new there'd be a little quest beforehand.
Although I do appreciate that the Koropokkur village is so, so much better. It was clearly a place that they couldn't quite make "work" in the original.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, that section of the story always kind of stuck out as janky, even back then. But the village ended up being super charming this time around. The only thing I wish they had added was a gigantic Lil Cactus just chilling.

And the springstep things definitely appeared a lot. Their only purpose was to give you a brief eagle eye view of the Mode 7 map, so they wouldn't end up in the same spots for this remake. Instead they're more traditional platformer jumpers, though still underutilized imo.

Ah maybe I'm thinking of when you see them in Secret of Mana, they're in that a lot more and not just to see the map. I feel like I clicked on them in SK3, got thrown up in the air and went "Wait what was the point of that?"
I'm not really sure what the point of Domperi even is, since he just tells you "Ah, move the statues". Walking around up there you'd probably have found that out yourself! Still a nice little place though.

I also feel like you see the spirits a shitload less in this so you're a bit less connected to them. When you cast the spells they only appear for a split second and you don't have those (admittedly annoying) bits where you select one from a menu to get past an obstacle. Yea you've got a bit where Lumina and Gnome pop up and do a thing but still - it would be nice to have them be more characterful and more present in the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

And yeah, you do see the spirits less than this game (and the original) than other Mana games. Because this is where a lot of their characters were solidified to be expanded on in later mana games.

Still sort of reeling from the idea that there are any other Mana games after SoM and SK3 honestly.

And yea I get the idea of the village, I understand why it exists. I'm more saying that if this was a genuinely new game it wouldn't really exist, it'd be done very differently. It's a proper strange moment in the game now.
I think the same applies to the way the chests work where it's nearly all recovery items or SOMETIMES a weapon/armour from the next town in the game. That made total sense on the SNES (especially the linearity of the upgrades) but less so here.

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Actually there are almost no treasure chests or collectibles in the SNES game at all, except the loot you get from enemies. I've been replaying it with a friend of mine, and here at like 80% through the game, we've found maybe 3 chests.

Sorry, that's what I mean - the chests here are all just regular items because what else could you have in them?
You might get side upgrades and etc in them if it wasn't a remake.

gandlethorpe posted:

I never minded the story aspect of the village itself, its bland appearance in the OG aside. The waste of time part to me was the whole "get shot to Beiser, boat to Jadd, go to the forest, back to Jadd, boat to Palo" sequence where nothing really interesting happens. Although I hear SoM is a much worse offender when it comes to fetch quests. Never could get past the tiger boss to find out.

I kinda feel like SoM doesn't make you return to places as much as SK3 does.