Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
The Big Bopper is probably best known for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tcygOGHsWY

But this thread isn't about that -- it's about his face. I think he has a face that doesn't really exist anymore but was extremely common at the time. My grandpa had a face like that and I'm willing to bet yours did too. What happened to that face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Granpa Bopper! Coke's postin' poo poo threads again!"

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I honestly thought the Big Bopper was black until I read this

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

I honestly thought the Big Bopper was black until I read this

:same:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I mean he looks so much like Dan Aykroyd in that picture that Aykroyd clearly should have played him in some version of Buddy Holly or Richie Valens' biopics (because we all know Big Bopper is not getting his own). Though to be fair Aykroyd is also pretty old so maybe that face is indeed gone

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the op comes from a future where white men are extinct

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I mean he looks so much like Dan Aykroyd in that picture that Aykroyd clearly should have played him in some version of Buddy Holly or Richie Valens' biopics (because we all know Big Bopper is not getting his own). Though to be fair Aykroyd is also pretty old so maybe that face is indeed gone

Belushi as Buddy Holly would've been amazing

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
Sean Aston should play the big bopper in the biopic where they retcon him as a very flamboyant gay man.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the out-of-tune guitar just kills me

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"Bopper" is slang for "fighter" as in to "bop" someone in the face with your punchin' hand.

"Big Bopper" is basically equal to "Bobby Shmurda" in 1950s slang.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Its Coke posted:

The Big Bopper is probably best known for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tcygOGHsWY

But this thread isn't about that -- it's about his face. I think he has a face that doesn't really exist anymore but was extremely common at the time. My grandpa had a face like that and I'm willing to bet yours did too. What happened to that face?

that's the face you get when you eat an entire shovelful of bacon and hog eggs after morning chores then Mee-Maw smacks you upsite the face with said shovel for thinking Unclean Thoughts

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The_Continental posted:

"Bopper" is slang for "fighter" as in to "bop" someone in the face with your punchin' hand.

"Big Bopper" is basically equal to "Bobby Shmurda" in 1950s slang.

Now I want an indie fighting game where you play as a bunch of shithead singers from the 40s-60s. You could probably get the likeness rights pretty cheap.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mind the walrus posted:

Now I want an indie fighting game where you play as a bunch of shithead singers from the 40s-60s. You could probably get the likeness rights pretty cheap.

Richie Valens cutting Jerry Lee Lewis from ear to ear with his navaja as his finisher.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Its Coke posted:

That sounds like a strong contender for the first Punk Song. Those Sex Pistols were full of poo poo.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

That's a very punchable face.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

dramatic recreation of the events that led to Big Bopper's fatal flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dffFZom1Mac

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

suck my big bopper, opper!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Alec Baldwin has that face

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

White? American? Born somewhere near the rust belt circa 1910-1935?
Congrats, here's your complimentary wife beater undershirt and a shovel for a face. Next.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Dr. Quarex posted:

This made me look up who played the Big Bopper in La Bamba. It was Stephen Lee, best known as "fat cop who gets butterflied like a mignon" in Robocop 2. Honestly, that's an ok choice.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

hayden. posted:

Alec Baldwin has that face

True

Alec Baldwin
Mmmmmmmmm

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

guestimate posted:

True

Alec Baldwin
Mmmmmmmmm

Don't look up the recording of him talking to his daughter about visitation with his ex-wife.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

:dudsmile:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You think that's hosed up? You ever really look at Ritchie Valens? Like, googled his rear end to find out that the Lou Diamond Phillips biopic not only invented his starcrossed love with Whitegirl Donna out of nothing, but also cast someone that looked absolutely nothing like him?

BECAUSE HE LOOKS LIKE THIS

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
that's the face of every sunday school kid who gets physical while playing red rover. that picture knocked me down and took my shiny charizard.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Its Coke posted:

My grandpa had a face like that and I'm willing to bet yours did too.

my grandpa was black and he looked kind of like a darker skinnier version of marvin gaye

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Wamdoodle posted:

dramatic recreation of the events that led to Big Bopper's fatal flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dffFZom1Mac

Jesus christ

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

YeahTubaMike posted:

my grandpa was black and he looked kind of like a darker skinnier version of marvin gaye

Isn't that just Ben Carson?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My favourite Big Bopper berformance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTWMh6o99_0

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I'm mower interested in the big facer's bop

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
There’s some old MST3K movie that’s like one of those beach party/monster movies and the male lead is some wannabe singer dude that has the most “1950s face” imaginable, god I wish I could remember which movie that was

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming you're thinking of Arch Hall Jr and Eegah.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Soda Jerk that launched a thousand Sock Hops

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Laterite posted:

Thank you for this

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Cubone posted:

the out-of-tune guitar just kills me

It's so awful. That's got to be due to a bad digital recording from the vinyl. A warped record or just a lovely record player.

Although with lyrics like "my mom was Humpty Dumpty, my dad was Dracula," maybe the original really was that out of tune and the recording engineer was just "gently caress it, whatever, sounds great."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Loden Taylor posted:

It's so awful. That's got to be due to a bad digital recording from the vinyl. A warped record or just a lovely record player.

Although with lyrics like "my mom was Humpty Dumpty, my dad was Dracula," maybe the original really was that out of tune and the recording engineer was just "gently caress it, whatever, sounds great."
it's a parody

the out of tune guitar is just my favorite part because it makes the whole thing sound slightly demented, in the same way the lyrics are just a slightly more demented version of the kind of songs it's parodying ("ooh baby" -> "ooh toddler", nonsensical 1950's courting talk -> "I'm yelling at you! I am the big weird man!")

that said, it is not surprising at all that people accept it as a real big bopper song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Laterite posted:

He's actually kind of good in The Sadist. It's a better use of his ridiculous face anyway.