Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A really strange one was the persistent belief among almost half my school that the world was going to end on January 1st, 1999 (not 2000, because of ancient bible math or something). This was around 97-98 that it really picked up.

There were a few minor variations on it, but the general scope was:

The sun is going to be eclipsed by the moon on that day. All technology is going to fail and start to attack humans. One extremely weird detail was that Christmas trees would all ignite as the lights try to burn down everyone's house (assuming you still had your tree up at this point) and TVs would just start screaming and laughing at you as you died. And then all your pets would start talking and would attack humans, too.

I feel like this must have been a scene in a TV show around that time because every kid would recite the details about technology and pets rebelling against humans, and that just seems way too specific to be made up. I'm guessing the History Channel played some crazy end of the world dramatization or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Atlas Hugged posted:

We were literally dealing with a prank phonecall incident at my school this morning.
Heck, maybe kids still do prankcalls, but now they're "incidents" that have to be "dealt with." Unless you just gave the dude detention.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This was primary school, so mainly age 7-10. There was a myth about how a German bomber crashed into the school grounds when his plane malfunctioned during the blitz. The upper school (age 9-10) section's boys toilets was completely destroyed, and the classrooms around it were damaged. They rebuilt the whole thing, but if you go in there at the time of the crash (which just coincidentally happened to be about ten minutes after the last class) and said Heil Hitler into the mirror three times he would appear and kill you.

This was mostly older kids goading the younger ones into doing it, and watching them get petrified and running away.

NB: My school was at least 40 miles away from anywhere near an area hit during the blitz, of course, and in completely the opposite direction of anywhere the planes could possibly have come from.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Oh, and it was Prince that had his ribs removed so he could suck himself off. That changed to Marilyn Manson some time in the mid 90s.
I did a completely ad hoc 'study' about this in a pub one night, where some friends and I ended up asking 50-odd people of various ages who it was that had his ribs removed. We got Prince, Marilyn Manson, Michael Jackson and Dave Grohl. Prince and Jackson were common amongst the older people, Manson among the younger gen-Xers and millennials, and the two people that said Grohl were only like 18.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dave Grohl? lmao

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Actually it was the guy from Crazy Town.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Keith Atherton posted:

More 70’s stuff

Alice Cooper invited a guy in the audience to get up on stage and challenged him to do something to gross him out. The guy took a poo poo on the stage and Alice Cooper ate it

In the version I heard it was Frank Zappa

Keith Atherton posted:

KISS stood for Knights In Satan’s Service

and AC/DC stood for Anti Christ Devil’s Child!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The reason our headteacher had such a thick moustache? Clearly during his time in the Navy he had a naked woman tattooed on his upper lip and grew the moustache to hide his shame.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

IIRC our 8th grade science teacher had periods so heavy that blood would actually pool on the floor if she stood/sat in one place for too long.

And there was a house not far from our neighborhood where I think the dad supposedly murdered his whole family, and on the garage door you could still see the last handprint of one of the kids or his wife.

There was a real handprint on that garage, but 8 year old me asked mom and dad about it, and evidently the rest of the house was filthy too, so it was a dirty print that had just never washed off, not a murdery one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There was a great website to order pens from called Pen Island dot com.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
pen15 club member checking in

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Quote-Unquote posted:

and said Heil Hitler into the mirror three times he would appear and kill you.

Whossat? Hitler or the Pilot?

#PenIsland #Pen14 #Influencer

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Brock Samsonite posted:

Whossat? Hitler or the Pilot?

#PenIsland #Pen14 #Influencer

The pilot

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Grem posted:

Alicia Leone put a hot dog in her vagina in the girls bathroom and had to be taken out by the ambulance.

she actually had a seizure

This was popular at my middle and high school. Every couple of years, a girl became known as "Hot Dog" and usually carried the torch for a year or two before another girl was crowned as the new Hot Dog.

Toward the end of my high school career and as my brother was finishing middle school, CDs were finally taking over the music scene and the "so and so hosed a CD"-rumor hit full steam.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Oh, yeah. I forgot about Pig Man. This one was more of a town urban legend but was super popular throughout elementary and middle school. It didn't matter boys or girls...we all loved the legend of Pig Man. Spending precious class time talking about various sightings and typical "telephone game"-type stories where he became bigger and badder every time the story was told.

There was an old school house just outside town that had become known as his house and from what I understand, Pig Man was possibly based on a real person (a kid's disfigured grandfather who they saw at little league games) that some kids in the late 70s made the story up about. It blew up from there and persisted throughout the 80s.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ralph Hurley posted:

In the version I heard it was Frank Zappa

and AC/DC stood for Anti Christ Devil’s Child!

When Alice Cooper was first starting out, he was signed to Zappas record label. Frank calls him up one day, and says "hey man, I heard this crazy rumor about you eating poo poo on stage." Alice says " I don't know how that rumor ztarted, but I definitely didn't do it." Franks advice to him? "Don't tell anyone it's not true."

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

A really strange one was the persistent belief among almost half my school that the world was going to end on January 1st, 1999 (not 2000, because of ancient bible math or something). This was around 97-98 that it really picked up.

There were a few minor variations on it, but the general scope was:

The sun is going to be eclipsed by the moon on that day. All technology is going to fail and start to attack humans. One extremely weird detail was that Christmas trees would all ignite as the lights try to burn down everyone's house (assuming you still had your tree up at this point) and TVs would just start screaming and laughing at you as you died. And then all your pets would start talking and would attack humans, too.

I feel like this must have been a scene in a TV show around that time because every kid would recite the details about technology and pets rebelling against humans, and that just seems way too specific to be made up. I'm guessing the History Channel played some crazy end of the world dramatization or something like that.

This is from a TLC special on Armageddon. The scene in question relates to the Mayan 2012 thing. They go to the Popol Vuh Apocalypse where humanity's tools turn on them, animals turn on them, and their own houses collapse to kill them. They then talk about what this would look like in 2012 and that's why you have all that crazy imagery.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If the teacher is 15 minutes late to class you can leave.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Draw this on your book covers and you will be cool.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Katamari Democracy posted:

An urban legend is something that isn't true, mate. :colbert:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
where did that come from, anyway? i heard it's called the stussy s, but it's not.

i used to draw it all the time, and extend it into ribbons. it almost looks like a celtic pattern when you do that

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

FoolyCharged posted:

An urban legend is something that isn't true, mate. :colbert:

The only people that did this were the kids who liked System of a Down and Slipknot. Just pretend the stussyS replaced the letter S.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

where did that come from, anyway? i heard it's called the stussy s, but it's not.

Nobody really knows for sure but I remember my grandmother telling me kids etched this into concrete back when she was in grade school. And to this day kids still follow through.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Quote-Unquote posted:

Oh, and it was Prince that had his ribs removed so he could suck himself off. That changed to Marilyn Manson some time in the mid 90s.
I did a completely ad hoc 'study' about this in a pub one night, where some friends and I ended up asking 50-odd people of various ages who it was that had his ribs removed. We got Prince, Marilyn Manson, Michael Jackson and Dave Grohl. Prince and Jackson were common amongst the older people, Manson among the younger gen-Xers and millennials, and the two people that said Grohl were only like 18.

I would've said Cher because they were always mentioning it on MST3K.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shaddak posted:

When Alice Cooper was first starting out, he was signed to Zappas record label. Frank calls him up one day, and says "hey man, I heard this crazy rumor about you eating poo poo on stage." Alice says " I don't know how that rumor ztarted, but I definitely didn't do it." Franks advice to him? "Don't tell anyone it's not true."
Not even an urban legend but it's a cool story: Zappa heard of Alice Cooper and told them to come to his house for an audition "at 7". So they roll up at 7 in the morning when he's still asleep. His reaction was "these guys made their way to my house at 7 in the morning to play psychedelic rock, I better listen to them cause they are on to something."

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Katamari Democracy posted:

All of my students are assigned a folder where they keep their work in my room. Of the 120 folders, there were at least 4-5 that had the S on them at the end of the year. I teach a majority of high school classes through the day, but all of the S drawings were from my 8th grade students. This is still a thing in TYOOL 2019.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The original Ultimate Warrior died because his heart exploded from snorting too much cocaine and he was replaced by the "Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

The singer from Crash Test Dummies had such a deep singing voice because he had three balls.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Metaline posted:

The singer from Crash Test Dummies had such a deep singing voice because he had three balls.

Hahaha that's an amazing one

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
there's a memorial fire place in the woods and everyone used to say they're used to be a whole house that burned down and the guy died and haunts the park

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i used to draw it all the time, and extend it into ribbons. it almost looks like a celtic pattern when you do that

The S thing comes from nowhere. There is little evidence about it's origins. Best explanation is that it looks cool and is easy to draw so it keeps popping up.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Metaline posted:

Imagine if you had like ten balls you could sing in the subwoofer range

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Testikles posted:

The S thing comes from nowhere. There is little evidence about it's origins. Best explanation is that it looks cool and is easy to draw so it keeps popping up.

I feel like it's some kind of atavistic Celtic genes that wanna make regularly patterned artwork reexpressing themselves.

naem
May 29, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

I feel like it's some kind of atavistic Celtic genes that wanna make regularly patterned artwork reexpressing themselves.

it’s the same genes that make people want to paint their face blue and take off their shirt at football games

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mammal Sauce posted:

All of my students are assigned a folder where they keep their work in my room. Of the 120 folders, there were at least 4-5 that had the S on them at the end of the year. I teach a majority of high school classes through the day, but all of the S drawings were from my 8th grade students. This is still a thing in TYOOL 2019.

An older relative had this on his classroom binder in the 80's, and I drew it on mine in the 90's. We have that S in our names. I just drew it one day because I saw it that time. I vaguely remember seeing this S elsewhere and wondering if it meant anything beyond just being a shape.

My current theory is that it's connected to student boredom. That, and the vertical points roughly correspond to the line that passes through an S in a dollar sign. Extend the ends of those around the S like a corral, and you have a quartz crystal shape. Redraw it with out the intermediary work and retain the S's 's-ness' and you have a pointy cool kid S maybe.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smiling Mandrill posted:

You must have been at a weird opposite school with some of the worlds most sheltered kids. If anything that would have created more urban legends at my grade school.Our school was in the middle of the ghetto so seeing passed out people on or around our playground was pretty common. Usually they didn't call the cops, a teacher would just go out and tell the person to gently caress off school property.

We had an old lady who lived on the hill above our play ground. Some days if we were really loud she would come down to the fence, and throw food at us while cussing. She was out of her mind crazy. Teachers just told us when it happened to get away from the fence, and play out of her throwing range lol. She either got sent to a mental institution or died over the summer because between my fourth and fifth grade years she vanished.

When I was in little league we had a old stinky guy who'd come and watch all of the games. He would ride his bike over, and hang out all day. Never talked to anyone, and kept too himself. Still, mom always told us kids to stay the hell away from him. Turned out that the reason he smelled so bad was because he had been sleeping in the same bed with his dead wife for a few years. Supposedly when they found her she had been mostly eaten by the hoard of cats living with the guy.

Another kid we'd always see driving around town on a riding lawn mower. He was around my age but he never went to school. He was always dirty as hell, and looked like a mechanic. Rumor was that his dad kept him out of school and forced him to work mowing peoples lawns during the summer, and repairing lawn mowers in the winter. Never did talk to him, or find out if it was true but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

There were also tons of times recess was held indoors because a street gang, or some homeless teens took over our outdoor basketball court. I remember one time one of them was screaming and waving around a gun. Our principal actually went out and talked to them and convinced them to leave. Still one of the bravest things I think I've ever seen and the older I get the more impressed I am by his actions that day.

:drat:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
There was another one about Marilyn Manson. The ribs thing was one. But also one where at his concerts he would have sex with a cat until it died, and then cut it in half and threw it into the audience! This scared the crap out of me because lots of kids in school were wearing Manson shirts at the time and I thought they were all severely deranged and dangerous for liking someone who'd do that.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

bartok posted:

The original Ultimate Warrior died because his heart exploded from snorting too much cocaine and he was replaced by the "Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich.

The actual story of the Von Erich family is much more interesting

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
There’s also the one about how a singer sucked so many cocks he had to go to the hospital and have his stomach pumped. In my day it was Rod Stewart but I think there have been versions with newer rock stars

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
"Say lads, didya hear about that Al Jolson fella what got a hogshead's worth of jism pumped from his stomach? A hogshead, I say!"

"That's funny, I heard the same thing about Scott Joplin!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Arrhythmia posted:

naem posted:

it’s the same genes that make people want to paint their face blue and take off their shirt at football games

some kilt-wearing potato famine pict rear end ghost sees us drinking whiskey and hating the british: yes yes yes yes