Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They'd love simpsons memes too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

There’s also the one about how a singer sucked so many cocks he had to go to the hospital and have his stomach pumped. In my day it was Rod Stewart but I think there have been versions with newer rock stars

When I was a kid it was Sheryl Crow. In like 1998.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Local Weather posted:

In the 80's there was an awful lot of Satanism everywhere in the US and every band you liked was definitely secretly Satanic. The height of the Satanic Panic is not something easily explained to people who didn't live during it. There were travelling preachers who would go from town to town giving lectures about how rock music is evil and playing Led Zeppelin backwards and such. Geraldo Rivera did a whole TV special about it...unreal when I think back on how crazy it was.

“was”

http://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1139184474741202945

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
one year, we had a new student named Mona. After a teacher’s sloppy handwriting on the blackboard, she was known solely as Mung.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 14, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

When I was in late elementary and early middle school, everyone was obsessed by the concept of "initiation." There was this rumor going around that, when we got to middle school, the 8th graders were going to "initiate" us with some sort of humiliating/painful ritual; after this didn't happen, the rumor mutated into the initiation happening at the end of the school year, with the outgoing 8th graders initiating the rising ones. This also didn't happen. I really have no idea how we all decided that the 8th grade class would spend this much time and effort hazing the entire class below them, but we were completely convinced and terrified of it!

One thing did come of the initiation rumor, though; the summer before I started middle school, some kid dropped an intimidating letter about "initiation" on my front porch, with a gob of peanut butter (?) inside the envelope. There was no follow-up. I still don't know why the peanut butter was there -- like, did they think it looked like poop or something? Because it didn't. It looked like peanut butter.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Kawalimus posted:

There was another one about Marilyn Manson. The ribs thing was one. But also one where at his concerts he would have sex with a cat until it died, and then cut it in half and threw it into the audience! This scared the crap out of me because lots of kids in school were wearing Manson shirts at the time and I thought they were all severely deranged and dangerous for liking someone who'd do that.

IIRC Manson did actually briefly wank on stage one time and got in legal trouble for it.

I always heard crazy stories about how insane GWAR are live, with the singer ejaculating goo from his two giant cocks into the crowd, various creatures being blown up in a huge gory splatter on stage, the audience periodically beating the poo poo out of each other...

But it turns out those things are actually true lol

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

DamnCanadian posted:

McDonalds used kangaroo meat in their Big Macs. Or so a friend of a friend told me.
McDonalds's "meat" supplier was called "100% Australian Beef" so they could say "our burgers are made with 100% Australian Beef!" even though they were actually made from random animals and sawdust.

I remember like a decade ago, McDonald's Australia actually put out an ad campaign addressing all the urban legends :lol:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
at my school a sheep... died from penetration of the anus and the official story backed up by the ag department was that an alpaca had done it, it was only a few months ago i found out that actually it was believed to have been a human, to this day nobody has any idea who it was, and because this was a christian boarding school the staff agreed upon the alpaca story to prevent hysteria and disrepute. the alpaca in question remained at the school and was treated with great respect thereafter

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Sir Nose posted:

the semen pumped out of Rod Stewart wasn't human semen
this one resonates with me

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

doctorfrog posted:

I was raised a Jehovah's Witness and during the height of the Satanic panic we heard all the usual things a nutty religion would try to scare you with, like playing a record backwards or the possibility of being infected with a mind-controlling pervert demon through your ears, from rock music.

We were also scared of Smurfs.

There was the Smurf doll that would get up and dance in the middle of the night, the Smurf wallpaper whose eyes would glow in the dark. One persistent rumor had it that a Smurf doll one day said, "gently caress this loving bullshit!" during a meeting and went on a tear around the Kingdom Hall.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Bones posted:

"Say lads, didya hear about that Al Jolson fella what got a hogshead's worth of jism pumped from his stomach? A hogshead, I say!"

new thread title right here

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

fakeaccount posted:

new thread title right here

I'll never see the commercials for boarshead the same way again

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

red19fire posted:

When I was a kid it was Sheryl Crow. In like 1998.

I remember telling someone about this legend (an adult) that it was one of the members of the New Kids in the Block. Actually, it was my mom I told. And she was like, you wouldn't be able to tell if it was sperm, it would melt in the stomach acid. And I felt stupid.

(I had to look up boy bands to remember the name of the right boy band for this post)

Brings me back.

We had the Bloody Mary thing with the mirror and lights out and one time supposedly someone did it and ran screaming down the hallway.

Also, just for added flavor, I grew up in a cult, called The Community, and the school I went to was a school of all cult teachers with some non-cult students and all the cult kids in it, called The School. But even there we had these urban legends.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
In "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" by Eiffel 65, the words "da ba dee da ba di" REALLY mean "I'll smoke weed and I'll die." Because marijuana is such a deadly drug, I guess. :rolleyes:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Chrs Gry posted:

Mr Hudson the football coach got that huge shiner because he was loving Mrs Andrews the girls gym teacher and her husband came home early and caught them. Except that turned out to be true because he would admit to it if you asked him

drat same thing happened at my high school but it was the hunky basketball coach and the hot cheerleading coach. In this version she got fired for letting the cheer team party in the hotel rooms during a competition trip.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Some girls walked into the bathroom and did the Bloody Mary ritual without realizing I was in there, they ran out screaming and now I post from beyond the grave :spooky:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

coronatae posted:

Some girls walked into the bathroom and did the Bloody Mary ritual without realizing I was in there, they ran out screaming and now I post from beyond the grave :spooky:

I hope you mean they didn't realise there was someone else in the room until they completed the ritual and then they spotted you and thought you were Bloody Mary

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdnXKw3pl4

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Only pre-Plasma TV kids will remember this: If you touch the static electricity on a TV screen you become sterile.

Obsoleting CRTs has doomed us to overpopulation.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Kazak posted:

drat same thing happened at my high school but it was the hunky basketball coach and the hot cheerleading coach. In this version she got fired for letting the cheer team party in the hotel rooms during a competition trip.

Same but it was 2 of 3 different cheerleading coaches at my high school, loving football players.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mr. Bones posted:

"Say lads, didya hear about that Al Jolson fella what got a hogshead's worth of jism pumped from his stomach? A hogshead, I say!"

"That's funny, I heard the same thing about Scott Joplin!"

Hey what's the American equivalent to ahogshead of jizz

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
One popular lie that went around my middle school was one the teachers themselves spread where they told us the Native Americans were good friends with the European imperialists

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pentaro posted:

Only pre-Plasma TV kids will remember this: If you touch the static electricity on a TV screen you become sterile.

*Picks up an old CRT from Goodwill and full-body bear hugs it*

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pentaro posted:

I heard it as putting your head against it would just give you brain damage, but that's just stupid I AM STUPID

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I hope you mean they didn't realise there was someone else in the room until they completed the ritual and then they spotted you and thought you were Bloody Mary

Lol nope they dropped the little pocket mirror they were using and ran out screaming. I finished my business and turned the light back on.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

coronatae posted:

Lol nope they dropped the little pocket mirror they were using and ran out screaming. I finished my business and turned the light back on.

Explains your av.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This one went beyond the usual rumor that dogged some kids for a while, and it went on for years.

This kid that was in my elementary classes was universally disliked, mostly because he had the most eye-watering stench to him. He was really quiet and mostly kept to himself, so that stink was like his only known trait. He had a sibling that was equally rank and always trying to pick fights.

So he was quiet, weird, reeked, seemed generally unkempt as well, and his family lived in this rundown house near the woods.

So of course the legend went his family were a bunch of killers and they hunted their victims in the woods and dragged the bodies back and kept them in the house. Then in early high school, that house was on the late night news, and the blurbs were 'shocking discovery!'

...it was a goddamn house of squalor. They'd been living in a filthy, cat-filled and garbage-laden house his whole life, and that reek was cat piss seeped into every crack and crevice of the home.

I had an elective with him my junior year, he was living with a relative then, and he was honestly a chill and really funny guy.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
FALSE
"Antarctica is the largest continent--just look at the map!"
The south didn't fight the Civil War for slavery!
-my 7th grade social studies teacher

TRUE
The 7th grade social studies teacher is having an affair with the married social studies teacher in the next classroom

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Contrary to your own personal life experiences, folks, people having sex with one another does not count as an urban legend.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

Contrary to your own personal life experiences, folks, people having sex with one another does not count as an urban legend.

Fine. A rumor that everyone believed. And then a group of us caught them. That was a fun year except for 9/11.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The North Tower posted:

That was a fun year except for 9/11.

You must have not been on SA in 2001

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Mammal Sauce posted:

You must have not been on SA in 2001

poo poo I goofed again: That was a fun year because of 9/11.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Kentucky Fried Chicken changed their name to KFC because the chickens they used were so heavily genetically modified that they weren't legally allowed to refer to them as 'chickens'.

There's actually so many rumours surrounding KFC that they have an entire section on their website dedicated to dispelling them.

https://chickenchattin.kfc.com/category/rumors/

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I think McDonald's has one too, but we all know they buy their rat meat from a company NAMED 100% Pure Beef

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just remembered one: Made in USA meant made in a town in China they renamed to Usa.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

That's pretty mature of them tbh. In my school we just said it made your balls smaller.

We had the sperm rumor in 5th grade and everyone stopped drinking surge cause apparently we were all ready to knock a whole lotta bitches up

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bones posted:

Kentucky Fried Chicken changed their name to KFC because the chickens they used were so heavily genetically modified that they weren't legally allowed to refer to them as 'chickens'.

There's actually so many rumours surrounding KFC that they have an entire section on their website dedicated to dispelling them.

https://chickenchattin.kfc.com/category/rumors/

My cousin believed until his early 20s that Taco Bell put laxatives in their beef so people would come back for more food quicker, cause I know I’m super in the mood for more fast food immediately after I blow it out of my rear end like an IED

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

vyst posted:

Hey what's the American equivalent to ahogshead of jizz

63 gallons!

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
If your hand is bigger than your face you have cancer and/or AIDS.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Aesop Poprock posted:

My cousin believed until his early 20s that Taco Bell put laxatives in their beef so people would come back for more food quicker, cause I know I’m super in the mood for more fast food immediately after I blow it out of my rear end like an IED

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Jake Mustache posted:

If your hand is bigger than your face you have cancer and/or AIDS.

On a similar note, if your ring finger is longer than your index finger that means you're gay.