Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

No Wave posted:

Permadeath seems kind of trivial if bottles are still in the game. I am not a good player and all 9 of my deaths occurred before finding one of the witches.

Just having bottles turned off in permadeath mode would make leaderboards etc much more interesting.

I agree with this. On my permadeath attempts, the run where I got my first potion is also the run where I won. It's not really that hard to do, either -- you can buy a bottle from the zora hut and a potion from a witch for a total of 320 rupees, which isn't much.

Maybe if the potions doubled in cost every time you bought it and if fairies couldn't be bottled, it might be more reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Beekeeping and You posted:

Permadeath mode is no joke. I have 200 hours in necrodancer and it's still pushing my poo poo in. I'm not sure if it's actually that much harder than necrodancer, or I'm just not used to the patterns, but I'm having a ton of fun with it.

You have to game it a bit. Stick to easy tiles until you've acquired some extra hearts and/or bottles and a decent weapon -- you definitely can't fling yourself at the wall and hope it goes ok with 3 hearts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

explosivo posted:

Shooting the bow takes two full beats. Try counting the beats out loud, it really does help.

One two three four
One two three four
One two hold release
One two hold release
Move move hold release
Move hold release move
Hold release move move

Keep in mind you do not have to move for those two beats that you're shooting to keep your multiplier.
Did Necrodancer have a ranged weapon like the bow that functions the same way? Every part of my instinct/brain is screaming out that "this should just fire with a single button press" and it's hard for me to associate a button release (compared to the normal button presses) with the beat. Saying it out loud will probably help though, yeah.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks for these tips. I know it's random, but are certain landmarks (Lake Hylia) always in the same general area?

From what I can tell Lake Hylia is always in the bottom middle of the map (left or right), gerudo desert is always in a corner (any corner), hyrule castle is somewhere in the center, and the lost woods are middle left / right. Death mountain, of course, is at the top.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 17, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Items and some abilities taking multiple beats to use screws me up because there was nothing like that in Necrodancer. I think I've managed to use the Hookshot successfully in combat without losing rhythm like single digit times.

I'm sure I'll get it eventually but a lot of times I just go for weapon attacks instead of trying to be stylish.

edit: okay throwing weapons is, I forgot about that

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 17, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nate RFB posted:

Did Necrodancer have a ranged weapon like the bow that functions the same way? Every part of my instinct/brain is screaming out that "this should just fire with a single button press" and it's hard for me to associate a button release (compared to the normal button presses) with the beat. Saying it out loud will probably help though, yeah.

Kinda, the dagger requires you to hit a button and then push the direction to throw. It's a little different but still two inputs that have to be on beat to throw. For some reason I gently caress up the dagger throw in CotN more than the bow here. The bow was second nature to me from the start but I constantly forget how to throw daggers.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

explosivo posted:

Kinda, the dagger requires you to hit a button and then push the direction to throw. It's a little different but still two inputs that have to be on beat to throw. For some reason I gently caress up the dagger throw in CotN more than the bow here. The bow was second nature to me from the start but I constantly forget how to throw daggers.

The rifle, albeit rare, is another example of this input. I wish there was some sort of equivalent in Cadence, but is doesn't really jive with the theme anyways.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes I delayed killing the last monster on a screen so I could bop along longer to the combat tracks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure clearing dungeons upgrades the enemies in the world (along with respawning them) so it feels like a way to "cheese" the difficulty is to focus on reaching all the dungeon entrances before completing any.

Anyone who's missing heart pieces: Don't forget to check dungeon shops. I think each dungeon has one. My last piece was in the Gerudo house, I couldn't figure out the puzzle and left it for later, but it wasn't marked on the map so I totally forgot about it.

I never managed to find bottle #2.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Beat the game playing as Zelda only. Found every item except one bottle.

I got the one at the beach and the one in the grasslands and all I can find online is that one is in the cliffs but I scoured that area and can't find poo poo

Game Good

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Bloop posted:

I got the one at the beach and the one in the grasslands and all I can find online is that one is in the cliffs but I scoured that area and can't find poo poo

Game Good

It's random so no one can tell you where to find it, RIP

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BattleMaster posted:

It's random so no one can tell you where to find it, RIP

Are you sure? I've played multiple runs and the other two were basically in the same place

For example, each time one has been in the beach house where the manta ray sells the snorkel

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

The Bloop posted:

Game Good

The cliffs one is, I think, is the map where the layout looks like a spider with a diggable midsection. Dig that out and you should find a shop that will sell it to you for diamonds.

Unless that one's the grasslands one.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Are you sure? I've played multiple runs and the other two were basically in the same place

For example, each time one has been in the beach house where the manta ray sells the snorkel

It feels like some stuff is heavily weighted to be in the same place but still not guaranteed. I've seen lots of people say that you get the flippers from the Zora Prince as if it were a certainty, but I didn't have that happen until my third run.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
One thing I haven't really figured out yet about the generic story seed, in Gerudo Valley I noticed a gear on a map space outside of town and I could never figure out how to get it, and then I went into the Desert and the lady told me she needed gears to lower the bridge so I figured I had to figure out a way to get it. I wandered around for a while looking for whatever item it was I needed to be able to reach it and then after a while I gave up and then somehow I found 3 gears in the caves immediately surrounding the Gerudo Desert area. Is there another reason you need a gear? Why would more than 3 spawn if you only need 3?

Might just be a product of how the randomness works but I thought it was weird and it kind of distracted me because I assumed I needed to collect it before I could progress.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

For the story run I think things are more hardcoded (flippers from zora, power bracelet from the gerudos, bottle in beach hut) to give a better progression flow. But I might be wrong...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It feels like some stuff is heavily weighted to be in the same place but still not guaranteed. I've seen lots of people say that you get the flippers from the Zora Prince as if it were a certainty, but I didn't have that happen until my third run.

Huh, yeah that's the only place I've seen them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

American McGay posted:

One thing I haven't really figured out yet about the generic story seed, in Gerudo Valley I noticed a gear on a map space outside of town and I could never figure out how to get it, and then I went into the Desert and the lady told me she needed gears to lower the bridge so I figured I had to figure out a way to get it. I wandered around for a while looking for whatever item it was I needed to be able to reach it and then after a while I gave up and then somehow I found 3 gears in the caves immediately surrounding the Gerudo Desert area. Is there another reason you need a gear? Why would more than 3 spawn if you only need 3?

Might just be a product of how the randomness works but I thought it was weird and it kind of distracted me because I assumed I needed to collect it before I could progress.

It distracted me too and I eventually came back with the feather to get it for no reason

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's useless to talk about anything other than the default story mode because I'm pretty sure the randomness of seeded mode is so powerful it can move anything anywhere.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Not a Children posted:

You have to game it a bit. Stick to easy tiles until you've acquired some extra hearts and/or bottles and a decent weapon -- you definitely can't fling yourself at the wall and hope it goes ok with 3 hearts.

once you have the lute you can also go back to link's house to heal

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Evil Eagle posted:

It distracted me too and I eventually came back with the feather to get it for no reason

Glad I wasn't the only one stymied for a long time by that puzzle.

Eventually figured out a solution, but the solution I came to took advantage of the fact that I was playing two-player.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Ya that was one took me a while but you just need hover boots and it’s easy to get

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Can anyone tell me what the flail attack pattern is?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Imagine you're a knight in chess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So I don't think I ever got confirmation but is there only one quiver/bomb bag upgrade per minigame?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

American McGay posted:

Imagine you're a knight in chess.

So it's a broadsword with one extra space in front of it?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So it's a broadsword with one extra space in front of it?

No it's a long L shape. More of a spear with an extra square on the side.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can anyone tell me what the flail attack pattern is?

It’s just a one tile regular attack, but when you move, you can whack something to the left or right of where you’ll end up, up to two tiles away.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

If it's an L shape does it only hit one of the sides? If so what side is it?

If it hits both sides wouldn't it be more of a T shape?

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If it's an L shape does it only hit one of the sides? If so what side is it?

If it hits both sides wouldn't it be more of a T shape?

It only hits one enemy at a time, but can hit either side. I forget which way it prioritizes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Alright gang, it's time for Solve! That! Puzzle!

I've got relevant items equipped, but I also have bombchus, peg anklet, and the wardrum. Thinking I need the gloves or the cane.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This is workable with the feather!

e: we are talking about getting the gear, right

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You should be able to get it with just the hover boots.

Edit; or the feather if you use the other block.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Bogart posted:

Alright gang, it's time for Solve! That! Puzzle!

I've got relevant items equipped, but I also have bombchus, peg anklet, and the wardrum. Thinking I need the gloves or the cane.

Can you push the cracked block? If so push the cracked block one to the left and then using the top right block walk straight up.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Senerio posted:

Can you push the cracked block? If so push the cracked block one to the left and then using the top right block walk straight up.
You can't without a feather because that would be a 2 block step.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Senerio posted:

You only jump onto a block if you can't push it. You'd just push the cracked block off the edge.

A feather lets you get around this though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I just saved it for later and came back with a feather. Not exactly fine motor skills, but eh.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm I thought the feather only let you jump straight up

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Finished my first permadeath run and this is a mode I can see myself doing quite a few playthroughs with.

Once you get to the point where you have the witch hut access and bottles the tension does disappear, but I still came extremely close to loving up multiple times.

My biggest hopes for what to add in the future:

- Something to make rupees useful. Why are rupees so pointless?
- Go full Binding of Isaac and add a million unlockable items you can get with diamonds. Even if they're bad, gotta keep that hamster wheel turning. Cursed chests and stuff would be a great idea. Open the chest and lose 4 heart containers but gain some other effect or something
- More weapon variety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

Hmm I thought the feather only let you jump straight up
You can use it to get onto blocks that you would otherwise accidentally push. Or you can lure an enemy over and bounce off their head.