Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

A tale of Croc intrigue

This actually sounds rad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Front line phone tech support

the angry weirdo users arent the problem, the incompetent bosses and having every minute of your day micromanaged and being treated like you were just a particularly unreliable part of the computer in front of you was.

im sure everyone here has probably had a similar experience themselves though knowing the general audience of this site.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

When I was 16, I spent a summer working in a t-shirt wholesaler warehouse, way out in the boondocks. Actually it was a compound of six warehouses, so you would end up walking miles and miles during your shift, lugging a huge load of product on a rickety-rear end cart. My co-workers were (exclusively) local gigantic former high-school football stars. Most of them were tough and mean, which I guess makes sense when you know your life peaked at 17.

There was no air conditioning to speak of. I saw multiple people pass out from heatstroke, which I guess was a fireable offense because I never them come back. Overall, it was backbreaking stoop labor that destroyed your body. But none of that was the worst. The worst thing was that whenever it rained, the temperature would drop a few degrees and I would see some of these tough-rear end big dudes cry sincere, legit tears of joy just because their shift would be 99% hellish instead of 100% hellish.

That's how broken their spirits were. :(

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

friendly 2 da void posted:

When I was 16, I spent a summer working in a t-shirt wholesaler warehouse, way out in the boondocks. Actually it was a compound of six warehouses, so you would end up walking miles and miles during your shift, lugging a huge load of product on a rickety-rear end cart. My co-workers were (exclusively) local gigantic former high-school football stars. Most of them were tough and mean, which I guess makes sense when you know your life peaked at 17.

There was no air conditioning to speak of. I saw multiple people pass out from heatstroke, which I guess was a fireable offense because I never them come back. Overall, it was backbreaking stoop labor that destroyed your body. But none of that was the worst. The worst thing was that whenever it rained, the temperature would drop a few degrees and I would see some of these tough-rear end big dudes cry sincere, legit tears of joy just because their shift would be 99% hellish instead of 100% hellish.

That's how broken their spirits were. :(

Great mix of :capitalism: and cursed threads.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

tpink posted:

Great mix of :capitalism: and cursed threads.

I don't think its "that's capitalism" at all since exploiting the poo poo out of peasants has been a thing for 100,000 years before capitalism even existed

capitalism definitely aint helping though

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
I have to say I've worked at a bunch of jobs through my life and I've never really had a problem with my peers. Plenty of problems with managers and such but I've been lucky and always had pretty cool co-workers.

The worst job I ever had was working at Wendy's. I was one of the only people who wasn't in school that worked there so I had to come in at 7:00 in the morning and clean the store, restrooms, and parking lot, do a bunch of prep work, then leave at 9 or so only to come back at 11:00 to work the lunch rush. I never cooked anything except baking potatoes in the hell oven, just prep and cleaning and bullshit work. The night shift guys were all friends of mine from school and they had the cool manager, the day manager (overall store manager) was an rear end in a top hat who would get all over us if we socialized during work except for the minimum of courtesy. And all that for $3.35 an hour.

One morning I finished the cleaning and prep work and went home. When it was time to go back for the lunch rush I just stayed home. The assistant manager called me and asked if I was coming back, I told him no. He said "man, are you leaving me hanging?" and I was like "yeah I'm afraid so" and I hung up and never went back. I managed to stay two weeks.

Fun postscript to this story: Turns out the day manager was doing a lot of cocaine and stole a bunch of money from the store to finance it. Wendy's corporate determined that it was better to fire everyone and revoke the franchise from whoever owned it. The place became "Henry's Burgers" or some poo poo for some minimum time then went back to Wendy's with a different owner and crew.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I sold meat door to door out of the back of a pickup truck with an old floor freezer ratchet strapped down in the back. Basically those guys that ask you if you want to buy speakers in the parking lot but with meat.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

Intern at a Fortune 500 food company. The main job duties were basically data entry, which was fine for a college kid. But the rest of the stuff I was asked to do pushed it over the top into Hell.

Had to deliver mail to everyone. I very quickly learned that nobody in middle management or above actually does any work. Dozens of empty offices, people working 3 hours or less a day, all that good stuff. Most people wouldn't make eye contact with me, let alone talk to me since they thought I wasn't worth their time.

Got called in to help people with random presentations and stuff, mostly printing and organizing. One woman told me that I could get a full time job if I slept with her, no subtlety at all. I told her I wasn't interested and left, she gave me a ton of bullshit until the day she got fired (for having sex with an intern). I found out from another intern that she did this to every male intern because it was some weird game between her and her husband to try and bed college kids.

Somebody hosed up something huge (realistically it was a million dollar mistake) and blamed it on another intern. The intern could prove it wasn't her fault but still got blamed, I remember talking to her and she was just bawling her eyes out because everyone treated her like crap.

An entire department would leave the building after 6 hours of work and intentionally walk past the interns office and say poo poo like "BYEEEEEE! Have fun working!" after forwarding us dozens of emails full of work to do.

Part of my job near the end was to intentionally delay paying vendors as much as possible to increase our cash on hand, so we looked better to our stock holders. This included tasks like claiming things came in damaged, pretending like we couldn't reach a contact person, sending files that were intentionally broken so people couldn't open them up, etc. Imagine William H Macy's bullshit in Fargo with the vehicle numbers, it was that but even worse. My department got a ton of kudos from the CEO because we increased the average time to pay vendors from 15 days to 30 days. Their goal was to eventually hit 90 days.

Would be in the elevator with people who made $250k plus. They'd verbally jerk each other off and talk about "taking the yacht out this weekend" or "getting the wife some new implants" or "heading to venice for the weekend". Meanwhile I'm carrying my lunch in a Tupperware container and have a hole in my shoe, but yeah, you definitely deserve to be making that much more than me.

This was at least slightly bearable at the beginning because there was unlimited overtime. I'd work 55-60 hours a week at 11 bucks an hour. After about a month they stopped all overtime. This helped me pay for college and taught me a lot about the evils of corporate America, but I don't know how I survived it.

Great post dude. I really enjoyed it.

:350:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Foreclosures. gently caress that industry. Sending fams to section 7 feels bad. The suicides it caused feels worse.

The lack of professionalism was nuts, everyone was am alcoholic, I was in this war with the hr person trying to have them fired and vice versa, fraud and purgery were just common place.

That's the light happy parts of it, was a, rough job.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
Expectedly more drug dealers

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SleepySonata posted:

Expectedly more drug dealers

My weed dealer loving loves his job ever since he started moving enough to quit his day job a few years ago.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I worked summer maintenance at a ketchup, BBQ, cocktail sauce and tomato packing plant that is part of the um....Green Silver Corp [name changed because they're assholes and would probably try to sue me for slander].

During the summers between 1995 and 1998, I worked with 4-6 other college students who Green Silver was gracious enough to hire and give back to the community. We mostly painted everything the tomato juices ate the paint off along with painting buildings, razing migrant houses, and helping other maintenance guys with their job (think holding the flashlight for your dad while he's under the hood of a car yelling at you).

Some of my favorites mostly involving forklifts:

• Driving forklifts both in and out of the plant pretty much everyday with zero training or licensing for four summers
  • Being raised 12ft and higher on a high mast forklift to paint things up high. On a beat up wooden pallet.
  • Racing forklifts around the outside of the plant when they held plant meetings that we didn't have to attend.
  • The first week of the first summer, another guy was asked to take the dumpster out of the maintenance shop so the it could be emptied. He gets it on the forklift, backs down a ramp, and swings the dumpster around and wipes out the passenger side of an outside contractor's new S-10 that still had paper plates in the window. It was totalled out.
  • A couple guys were sent back to the migrant camp to tear down one of the "houses" (think oversized shed with no plumbing or electrical). They were handed an ax and a prybar that morning. After getting nowhere, they took a forklift through the gravel and into the grass, rammed the forks through the front of the building and raised it as high as the mast would go, backed up and let it fall. Another guy and I were on the roof of the main plant watching them laughing our asses off when they go for a second try, but it won't back up. The forklift was stuck so we got a Kubota tractor the plant owned and chained it up. The other guy I was with tried pulling it out and promptly got it stuck too. I wasn't directly involved so I just got to watch them all get yelled at.
  • A guy we worked with asked us if we wanted a ride to go get sodas at a gas station at lunch. Little did we know that he used his lunches to go on Skin Tours®. He had it mapped out in his head where women laid out in the sun and would go down alleys, etc. to check out sunbathers.
  • One Saturday morning, there was a special project they needed done for Monday morning start up. About 2 hours in, one of us was on a forklift with another guy painting something up high on a pallet. It was lunch time, so he hurriedly lowered the forks and knocked out a wire that carried electricity into a large portion of the plant. He spent most of lunch getting reamed by the head of maintenance.
  • The first summer, there was one kid working with us that was just a slug. Barely worked and somehow didn't know anything mechanical even though he grew up on the a farm. Our immediate supervisor sent him for a bucket of steam. He told him to go see another guy and he moved from maintenance worker to another and when he was done, he had this hazmat suit, long welding gloves, pipe wrench, bucket and other assorted equipment he had collected. The last guy told him to go get the head of maintenance for a key or something. Five minutes later he's walking around handing stuff back and just kept saying "you're all dicks"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Healthcare management, specifically guest services. We dealt with everything from patient complaints to VIP arrangements (ask me how many secret service guys were around for a former president's colonoscopy), to international cash pay patients (PURE PROFIT!!!!) and everything in between.

My employees were pretty cool, but my boss was 100 scumbag. If I brought an issue to him, he'd approve it, only to backtrack later when someone else along the chain disagreed. I was documenting every interaction with him about a week after he replaced my old boss.

He made things so untenable that I lost 30 pounds in a month from stress - my doctor worked me up for everything from HIV to cancer, but everything was fine.

I ended up getting canned after the douche started sending bullshit performance appraisals to HR. He had no idea I'd been getting everything on paper the whole time.

Took him and the hospital to court for wrongful termination, and my lawyer had several hundred pages of poo poo on him. The judge crucified him and the organization and I got a nice settlement that I used to put myself through nursing school.

Dealing with the sick and dying is less stressful than that poo poo.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Gaunab posted:

Being a busser sucked. You get all the responsibilities of a waiter with a fraction of the pay.

To add to this: Food Runner and Expediter

Food Runner: Essentially just carry scalding hot plates and serve them to the waiters tables. Just constantly running back and forth from the dining room to the kitchen. I don't know if other restaurants had this but the one I worked at did. It was very busy most of the time. Tipped the same way as a busser, basically whatever the waiter felt like. You were, for all intents and purposes, just an extra set of hands. Payed slightly better than wait staff but still under minimum wage. The tips occasionally made up for it if it was a good night and nothing went wrong.

Expediter: Again, I don't know if other restaurants had this. The Expediter was the person who grabbed all the plates that came out of the kitchen and garnished and organized them to their ticket so the waiters or food runners could just grab them and go. You had to have the menu knowledge of a waiter, but also be the go between person between the kitchen and the waiter, and if something was wrong or late, they both ended up hating you. Again, tipped by the wait staff, on the basis of whatever, and usually significantly less than the Busser or Food Runner. Again, pay was slightly better than wait staff but still under minimum wage. The tips almost never made up for it though.

I made more as a busser there than I ever did as either a Food Runner or Expediter. Often times during the day shifts I'd be doing all three, and of course only getting paid/tipped for one.

What ultimately made me end up quitting that job was one day, it was about medium busy, and I was bussing food running and expediting. There were these big glass fronted seafood coolers up front on either side of the entrance and I was told to clean them out. Well apparently I had to clean them out because they had stopped working the night before, I guess a breaker tripped or something, so it was just the most awful turned seafood smell and I had get inside the drat things and scrub the hell out of them, stopping periodically to expedite, run food and bus tables. I finished them up, went to get my tip outs from the wait staff and was told that since I spent like half my time inside the coolers, that I'd not be getting tipped since I didn't do enough for them. (I think one person bussed their own table one time while I was cleaning.)

Anyway, I was cut at like 5pm, and told to go clean up and come back at 6pm for the dinner shift. I hadn't expected to be covered in rotten seafood crap that day so I didn't have an extra shirt and pants with me, and with no time to run home and grab fresh ones, I had to run over to a department store, buy new ones, and then take a sink shower to try and scrub off the fish stink and then go back for that day's dinner shift.

The following day, I was scheduled to work the dinner shift, so I walk in the door and what do I see but two, brand new, giant glass fronted coolers. I asked the manager what was up with them, and they said that the old ones had been thrown away this morning when the new ones were delivered. I said, "huh, ok". Tossed my apron in the laundry basket, and walked right out the front door never to return. (except to collect my last meager paycheck)

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
dog food manufacturing plant, hands down.

those things are set up as silos where they load raw ingredients into the top and then use gravity as their conveyor belt to move through sifting/cooking/glazing/packaging.

my job was down in a sub basement. me and another guy stood under a hole in the roof. 40lb bags of dog food would drop down into a hopper and we had to fish them out of the hopper and stack them on pallets. once a pallet was full we shrink wrapped it by hand and a forklift would come take it away.

i was working graveyard. the air was so clouded with dog food dust and the lightbulbs so caked in dog food grease that the place had all the ambient light of a horror movie. sitting under multiple stories worth of industrial machinery was loud as gently caress so we needed ear protection, but we were temps so our ear protection was provided in the form of disposable foam plugs that did jack all. the foreman was a super creepy dude who'd wander up behind people and get waaaaay too close to them but in his defense he probably hadn't seen sunlight or spoken at less than screaming volume in years. you could also tell when he was getting up near you because he bathed in enough aqua velva to actually fight back the dog food stench.

me and the other temp did one shift and as we were walking out to the parking lot at the end of the night we just looked at each other and both said "no loving way am i ever coming back to this place"

he wound up being one of my best friends and i've known him for 20 years now so i at least got one good thing out of it

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Years and years ago I had a good job that was marred by a poo poo boss. I was a registrar for a museum, which is the role responsible for doing the administration associated with taking care of artwork. If a painting or tapestry or statue o whatever needed accessioning and cataloguing, we did it. If it needed insurance, we arranged it. If it needed to go on loan, we did that, and if it needed conservation we kept the records. Basically a slightly glorified office job, but interesting because there was a side order of art history and you got to go to interesting places and see interesting things.

The process of loaning out artwork is complicated, expensive, and fraught with risk to everybody involved, but it can also be really interesting for the registrar, and in an ideal world the process works something like this:

1: Borrowing institution asks the owners for the loan, which is agreed. Registrar arranges a whole bunch of paperwork (condition assessment, risk assessment, mandates of acceptable storage, light, and humidity conditions during the loan, etc...) basically terms and conditions.

2: Registrar arranges for special insurance coverage for the loan. This is usually contingent on getting a fresh valuation from a reputable art dealer (so Sotheby's or Christie's in the UK) - if you fail to comply with a bunch of small print at this stage the insurer could refuse to pay out any claims in case of damage or loss. Any extra premium to cover this insurance is paid by the borrowing institution.

3: If loaning abroad, the registrar gets an export licence from the government to allow the work to leave the country - a bunch of paperwork, but it's a criminal offence to do it wrong or to breach the terms that the government set for you. This is to stop nationally important works of art being sold off to Saudi oil sheikhs or Russian kleptocrat tycoons on the sly.

4: Registrar arranges for an art courier to collect the work and take it to the borrowing institution - the courier is paid for by the borrowing institution, but chosen by the lender. If travelling abroad this could involve flights and multiple couriers, but some couriers will just drive straight across Europe no problem.

5: the registrar accompanies the artwork on the journey. This can be loving awesome - you get paid (all costs met by the borrowing institution) to accompany to artwork "nail to nail" - from the moment it's uninstalled from your building till the moment it's installed at the new place, but you don't lay a finger on it the whole time; you're just there to observe and verify that everything's done properly. You also get a couple of nights in a decent hotel paid for by the borrower, along with a per diem to cover meals and entertainment. At the end of 2 or 3 days you go and inspect the artwork once it has been installed by the borrower, assess security and environmental conditions, sign off that everything went smoothly and meets your conditions, and that the work hasn't been damaged. You then gently caress off home.

6: Do the whole process in reverse at the end of the loan.

All the costs for this are met by the group that's borrowing, but they're generally happy to do it, because having a representative of the owner present for every step of the process cuts out any bullshit - if there's no registrar present the object could be damaged at any point in transit and it would be very difficult to prove exactly when it happened and who was responsible. When there's multiple millions of in liability it's just not worth loving around with for the cost of 3 nights in a hotel, 100 per diem and a couple of plane tickets.

So that's how it's supposed to happen.

At the place I worked my department was headed up by one of the board of directors. This was unusual in that most departments had a manager in charge, and the manager reported to the directors every few months, and they reported to the owner, who we basically never saw. But our director was there nearly every day. Now, this guy was lazy as poo poo - he would come in every day and lock himself in his office where he would play with his phone all morning, take 2 hour lunch breaks, and sleep all afternoon. He did nothing whatsoever, but still took all the credit for everything that went on. We actually didn't mind this, because as the highest ranking person in the building, we reported directly to him, and got no bullshit from the rest of the museum, which was a toxic hellworld of drama, politics and backstabbing. Everybody knew we answered to the directors, so they left us alone, and our director was so lazy he just let us do whatever we wanted.

But one year we got a request for a very important loan of a very important piece of art to a very important exhibition - I'm talking household name Old Master who you have definitely heard of, and the picture was being loaned to a massive exhibition of this artist's work. Naturally the owner agreed, but our director was determined that on this one he needed to be front and centre of every decision, and his signature had to be on every bit of paperwork, because the owner was actually paying attention for once because of the value of the picture and the prestige of the exhibition.
The problem was that after years of doing nothing our director didn't have a loving clue how anything practical was done, and was anyway incapable of sitting still and focusing on one task for any length of time. In the six months between being asked for the loan and the thing needing to be shipped I don't think he spent 60 consecutive minutes working on the list of tasks I outlined above, which generally take about a month to get sorted under normal circumstances. He refused multiple offers of help, and when his glaring mistakes wee point out he would pretend nothing was wrong.

Working from memory he:

First thing, right off the bat: he got the loving picture mixed up with a totally different picture by the same artist. The one we (correctly) sent was a masterpiece worth at least double digit millions, but when looking up the values in our inventory he confused it with another, similar picture by the same artists that was 1/3 the value.

hosed up the insurance at least 3 different ways - Firstly by confusing the pictures and their values - so the value he gave in the paperwork was 30% of what it should have been. Secondly by not obtaining a fresh valuation (the small print requires valuations for the purposes of claims be no more than 90 days old) and thirdly by not filing the papers with the broker in time, so that this unbelievably valuable picture left the building with no insurance, eventually got insurance coverage that probably wouldn't have been honoured in the event of disaster, and which would only have covered about 1/3 of the value even if they had paid up, because it was the WONG loving PICTURE.
He also didn't want to send any of us with it to observe and document the movement because there was too much going on in the office, and certainly didn't want to go himself as that would have interfered with his social calendar.
Not having somebody accompany the work in transit is a huge risk for the reasons I gave above, but it's not an uncommon attitude. In these situations most museums will find another institution they know of that is lending to the same exhibition, and ask if they can use the same courier and have their registrar watch over both pieces of art. He didn't know to do this, and at this point I and all my colleagues are sick of the guy and didn't bothered to clue him in.

Then when he applied for the export licence with the government he gave the opening and closing dates of the exhibition itself as the bounding dates for the work being out of the country - this left no time for transit out of and back into the country (usually a couple of weeks each end to allow for poo poo happening). So the work left the country too early to begin with and was guaranteed to come back too late - this was an actual crime punishable with massive fines.

Well, luck was with him, and the artwork arrived intact and undamaged to the exhibition, which was a great success. It was so successful in fact that the borrowers asked if they could extend all their loans for a further 3 months, to let the exhibition run longer. The owner agreed, which was fine, but naturally this means you need to re-do the insurance and the export licence. But by this point our boss was bored of paperwork and having to like actually arrange things and deal with people, so he just.... didn't. The work spent the following three months in a foreign country with no insurance in violation of a government-granted temporary export licence, which was a criminal offence. By this point I or my colleague would have normally just stepped in and done it, but our director was so jealous of the prestige associated with this exhibition that he wouldn't let anybody else touch it.

And I'm sorry to say that nothing happened.

At the end of the loan we managed to get the picture back home safely. Our director never squared away the insurance paperwork, and never bothered to apply for an extension to the export licence. He even forgot to inform the export licensing authority that the work had returned. He learned nothing, and was still happily sleeping away his afternoons in his office when I left that role a couple years later.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I was a nurses assistant in a private nursing facility. It was hell, we were understaffed and the workload was huge. It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't dealing with peoples lives but hoo boy we could not keep up with peoples needs.
It was like a prison, a conveyor belt for old people. We were paid minimum wage too and worked 12 hour shift with only a 30 minute break.

In the morning we were assigned to the floor. Teams of 2 would take each hallway, there was a total of 35 people on the floor so you had 6 people to attend to all these 35 people.
These were heavy people, obese, high dependency, disabled, dementia, aggressive, yadda yadda so you generally had to work in teams.

We had to rush in the mornings to get people up and ready for lunch. 8am on the dot we'd have to barge into the rooms, fling open the curtains and dragged these people out of bed. Feed them breakfast, wash them, change their clothes, hoist them out of bed, and then tidy their entire rooms. Oh whats that you want sleep for a little bit longer? Sorry tough get the hell up.
As each person took about 30 minutes to get ready by the time we got around to the final people it was about 1pm and most of them were just soaked in poo poo/piss lying in their own filth for hours.

Wheel them down for dinner. Wheel them in for stupid rear end kid games they were forced to participate in. At 4pm we'd wheel them back in and stuff their faces with more dinner, then wheel them back up to their room at 6pm where they were forced back to bed. (funfact each resident there had a daily food budget of 2.50)

We were so overworked that several people legit had panic attacks/fainted on the job. I vomited regularly and would get diarrhea from running and lifting endlessly. People would regularly call in sick so we'd be down to 4 or 5 on the floor.
I remember bathing some old person and I had to say "excuse me for just a minute". Walk into the ensuite, puke my guts up, then walk back to them and continue dressing them 3 minutes later.

And we'd hate if anybody pressed the call bell. Like god drat we do not have enough staff to come around and bring you to the toilet again. But we still did, we tried out god drat best and we were all trying out best to care for people but the home was a business and they had profits to make so sorry we're not going to pay to employ one or two more staff.

Each and every person in that shithole nursing home were paying 1200 A WEEK. To essentially be locked up in a private prison where you got neglected and abused. Seeing people suffering and having their lives unnessecerely prolonged for years so they could squeeze every last penny out of them. I've lost count of the amount of times people there told me they want to die.
We regularly complained to management that we were understaffed but they just ignored us. The owner was a multi-millionaire.
Oh and the christmas bonus was a 20 gift voucher. Wow!

Worst memory? Having to stand behind some old crazy lady with a bucket while another CNA supported her trying to get her to poo poo into a bucket. Pussssh pusssh! pusssh! you can do it!

Man I could write a book on the things that went on there. Thankfully I got the hell out of there and moved to working in a public hospital which was paradise in comparison.

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 14, 2019

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

When I was 15 I had a couple friends who told me about a weekend sign holding job that paid $5 an hour which was more than minimum wage at the time. Turns out there was this grocery workers union rep who hired high school kids to stand in front of non union stores with a sign that said dont shop here. Two or three of us would show up when the store opened, the rep guy would drive up and give us the signs and a stack of flyers, we would post up out front and basically pester the shoppers and hand them flyers. At the end of the day, the guy would drive up again and give us cash. Mostly people ignored us but sometimes people would get pissed off and get in our faces and yell lectures about unions while we went uhhhh...okay and laughed like Beavis and Butthead.

We treated the whole thing as a goof, did not give one teenage gently caress about unions. We figured were being paid to loiter. We would sit on the bench and bullshit and chew sunflower seeds. We flirted with the checkout girls who went to our school. It was often freezing cold so a few times we thought it would be funny to wear ski masks which got us a lot of dirty looks. One time some guy left his bike unlocked outside so my one friend took it for a ride around the neighborhood while he shopped. Our boss never checked on us so sometimes we would ditch our signs and go chill in McDonalds next door for a few hours. I did that job for a few months until I didnt feel like it anymore. I dont know how or why the managers of the store put up with our bullshit. I guess legally we has a right to be there? I have no idea. I was pretty sure the gig was sketchy as gently caress but even my parents were impressed I was making a little money for myself and surprisingly did not disapprove when I told them what I was doing.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I worked for a month as an admin at a wealth management firm that almost entirely existed to scam old people. They'd host those free dinners to convince the elderly to put their money in 15-year bonds that charged huge penalties if withdrawn from early. The big banks would easily pay 8-10% commission on the entire value of the bond. They also provided tax services but the paperwork was constantly mishandled and old people would come in complaining that their taxes were incomplete, late, or they were being charged for underpayment by the government. Also one of the accountants was so overworked in a stuffy back office that he passed out, wanged his head on a desk, and poo poo his pants. It also didn't help that the owner was a supreme shithead who only had a business because he was preying on a Jewish community while presenting himself as an orthodox jew. I very quickly figured out how terrible the place was and told my temp agency that I was quitting. The lady at the temp agency asked me to wait until the afternoon to tell anyone, then called my manager and told her I was quitting behind my back, so I received a 10 minute phone call about how unprofessional I was and that I'll never have a job again. I went to look them up today and the firm has mysteriously disappeared and wiped all trace of itself from the internet, except for the legal proceedings that the owner seems to constantly face for fraud. I just hope the entire building got sucked into hell.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

One year I worked overnights at this family owned restaurant. The food was really good, but the owners' adult son had major behavorial problems and their daughter was a straight-up misandrist. I was technically the son's manager, but gently caress if I was anything more than a babysitter for his stupid rear end. He basically showed up whenever he wanted to work and only actually worked for about 2 solid hours before eating like $60 of food and then loving off all night. He was not a big guy, so I assume he probably fed it to his giant girlfriend. One night we even caught him on the security camera in the back alley loving his giant girlfriend. That was unpleasant.

That family was all sorts of hosed up and the worst part is that the restaurant was a popular local chain so I have to hear their last name on occasion and it pisses me off.

Also one time a delivery driver got up in my face trying to start poo poo because he didn't get tipped on some order and I wouldn't change the credit card receipt. gently caress that place, I'll never work for a family owned business again in my life.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
when i was in school doing my masters program i had very little money so i took a "job" watching a mentally disabled man at night in exchange for free rent. he had a camera in his room and it was my job to watch him to make sure he didnt have a seizure or hurt himself in the night. he was around 34 years old and had the intelligence of a young toddler, or maybe a particularly clever dog. i didn't know why he had his own house until the first night. this guy did not sleep. he would sit up in bed and moan weird alien sounds all night, rocking back and fourth. most nights he would crawl around the room, sitting in random spots and just staring into space for a few hours. often he would scream like a lunatic for hours for no reason.

i was glad when that job was over

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I used to work at a computer shop which also fixed them and their general pc repair procedure was:

1) run Avast Free on it.

2) If that doesnt work run SpyAware.

3) if that doesnt work format the hard drive and install a pirate copy of Windows XP.

One day the guy whos job it was to do this realised that the owner could probably play ignorant to the illegal Windows installs and blame it all on him if they ever got pulled up so refused to install pirate copies of Windows from there on out and the boss fired him.

Speaking of fire, the store would generate loads of rubbish because it would get deliveries everyday, then you had poo poo like all blank CDs were to be removed from cellophane wrapping and disc and case separated for individual sale. Rather than pay for all the resulting card and plastic and poo poo to be taken to the dump the boss would illegally burn all of it out behind the building. One day a neighbouring business told him to stop and he threatened to stop selling them copied data DVDs every week containing all the latest chart music. In the end they agreed to let the fires slide if the discs were free from there on.

I didnt stay there very long

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Foreclosures. gently caress that industry. Sending fams to section 7 feels bad. The suicides it caused feels worse.

The lack of professionalism was nuts, everyone was am alcoholic, I was in this war with the hr person trying to have them fired and vice versa, fraud and purgery were just common place.

That's the light happy parts of it, was a, rough job.
reminds me of a programme on tv in the UK that would follow bailiffs around as they went to people's houses and businesses to collect. Most of them seemed like reasonably decent people stuck doing an unpleasant but necessary job, but holy poo poo you could tell some of those fuckers loved playing Billy big balls and mercilessly bullying desperate, often old people out of their money, homes and livelihoods.

It was a bit like watching police brutality videos except somehow 1000 times more pathetic.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The most immoral job I had was security at a casino in Vancouver. Harassing poor people aka "UDs" aka undesirables while encouraging addicts to destroy their lives and money launderers to destroy the city. I had the day shift so every single jackpot was some gangster piece of poo poo who fed the machines $100 bills all day long and had no emotion when they regularly won $10,000+ jackpots. (I had to escort the slot attendants with the cash)

The massive scale money laundering got so bad that the conservative government was voted out despite a broken electoral system that split the left vote and the new left wing government uncovered billions of illegal money being funnelled from China into the casinos and then into local houses and luxury cars. That's why cost of living in Vancouver is higher than San Francisco and it has the highest luxury car per capita ownership rate in North America. And also why I left.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I was a nurses assistant in a private nursing facility. It was hell, we were understaffed and the workload was huge. It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't dealing with peoples lives but hoo boy we could not keep up with peoples needs.
It was like a prison, a conveyor belt for old people. We were paid minimum wage too and worked 12 hour shift with only a 30 minute break.

It's weird that we live in a society (western, not just USA but this also true for the EU), where the most important jobs that few people even want to do, are the ones that are paid the worst as well. Where in the EU do you live just as an fyi?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
One summer in college I got a job canvassing, our office did a few things but mainly planned parenthood which like hey great cause but our job ended up just being those annoying people that stand outside of supermarkets and ask you for money. It was awful and people would at best say "you're doing a good thing" before not giving you money but typically of anyone was going to take the time to interact with you it was to call you a baby killer or tell you that you are going to hell. I quit after about a month.

Was always jealous of the people in office who got to do oxfarm instead of planned parenthood. Probably just as boring and demeaning but I bet they never had people getting up in their face screaming that they are literally Satan ):

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

toiletbrush posted:

reminds me of a programme on tv in the UK that would follow bailiffs around as they went to people's houses and businesses to collect. Most of them seemed like reasonably decent people stuck doing an unpleasant but necessary job, but holy poo poo you could tell some of those fuckers loved playing Billy big balls and mercilessly bullying desperate, often old people out of their money, homes and livelihoods.

It was a bit like watching police brutality videos except somehow 1000 times more pathetic.
You can find that entire series on youtube, actually. Look for "Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away!"
It's revolting. Despite what they say on camera, there was ever only one dude who was super O.K. The old guy with beer belly who used to be a cop, he really, really always went out of his way to help people unless they were being shitheads.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nooner posted:

One summer in college I got a job canvassing, our office did a few things but mainly planned parenthood which like hey great cause but our job ended up just being those annoying people that stand outside of supermarkets and ask you for money. It was awful and people would at best say "you're doing a good thing" before not giving you money but typically of anyone was going to take the time to interact with you it was to call you a baby killer or tell you that you are going to hell. I quit after about a month.

Was always jealous of the people in office who got to do oxfarm instead of planned parenthood. Probably just as boring and demeaning but I bet they never had people getting up in their face screaming that they are literally Satan ):

Should have channeled your inner shitposter and said "Oh man I could totally kill a baby right now, got one?"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The most immoral job I had was security at a casino in Vancouver. Harassing poor people aka "UDs" aka undesirables while encouraging addicts to destroy their lives and money launderers to destroy the city. I had the day shift so every single jackpot was some gangster piece of poo poo who fed the machines $100 bills all day long and had no emotion when they regularly won $10,000+ jackpots. (I had to escort the slot attendants with the cash)

The massive scale money laundering got so bad that the conservative government was voted out despite a broken electoral system that split the left vote and the new left wing government uncovered billions of illegal money being funnelled from China into the casinos and then into local houses and luxury cars. That's why cost of living in Vancouver is higher than San Francisco and it has the highest luxury car per capita ownership rate in North America. And also why I left.

How recent it was this? I remember a story about a year ago about how the "mob" would have people go play slots with dirty money. For those that don't know, slots don't use tokens anymore. When you cash out, you get a paper ticket that you can insert into another machine or take it to the cashier. Most places now have ATM like things were you insert your ticket and it gives you ash.

So people walk in with $1,000 of dirty money, play for 5 or 10 minutes, then cash out and take the ticket to the cashier for the remaining balance.

Here it is
https://globalnews.ca/news/4897032/bc-casinos-money-laundering/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bonzo posted:

How recent it was this? I remember a story about a year ago about how the "mob" would have people go play slots with dirty money. For those that don't know, slots don't use tokens anymore. When you cash out, you get a paper ticket that you can insert into another machine or take it to the cashier. Most places now have ATM like things were you insert your ticket and it gives you ash.

So people walk in with $1,000 of dirty money, play for 5 or 10 minutes, then cash out and take the ticket to the cashier for the remaining balance.

Here it is
https://globalnews.ca/news/4897032/bc-casinos-money-laundering/

I worked for them twice with a ten year break in between when I was having trouble finding employment (hands are hosed up from typing too much). 2006 and 2017, same poo poo was happening the whole time.

The second time it was just temporary until I could gtfo of Vancouver before the real estate bubble collapsed. Housing is 25% of the economy thanks to money laundering so the city is fuuuucked.

And yeah it's also important to note that there's no tax on gambling wins in Canada so that makes it a no brainer for money laundering.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

toiletbrush posted:

I only ever had 1 employee like this. Dude was on the hook for 4 kids on child support and enjoyed feeling better to anyone, everyone hated him, which is tough in a job where everyone feels like a survivor together.

Once every couple hundred you take some rich assholes house and boy does it feel good. Back in mortgage crisis time though it was banks making poo poo up and getting rich.

Once someone whistle blew on robo signin, literal rubber stamp name poo poo. They died of a "Heart attack" the day before the depositions were to begin. No one whistle blew again, we all got the message.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm just going to a post I made a few months ago, about a job I had working for a biotech startup a few years ago:

Antivehicular posted:

At my last lab job, every communal work space was a tragedy of the commons. The lowlight was the day I came in early to clean, saw ants swarming around the stir plate on the back balance beach, went to go send an all-lab email about "hey, bench is covered in ants," and came back a few minutes later to find that a coworker had measured something out on the ant-covered balance. Because as long as they're on the base, that's cool, right? :pseudo:

(I knew the balance had been used because there was powder everywhere -- probably ground corn samples, given the project my coworker was working on. See also: WHY WE HAD GODDAMN ANTS)

Basically everything about that job was that miserable. I lasted 10 months and haven't worked in a lab since.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
It's Friday. Work sucks. I used to work for a pet store.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

communism bitch posted:

Years and years ago I had a good job that was marred by a poo poo boss. I was a registrar for a museum, which is the role responsible for doing the administration associated with taking care of artwork. If a painting or tapestry or statue o whatever needed accessioning and cataloguing, we did it. If it needed insurance, we arranged it. If it needed to go on loan, we did that, and if it needed conservation we kept the records. Basically a slightly glorified office job, but interesting because there was a side order of art history and you got to go to interesting places and see interesting things.

The process of loaning out artwork is complicated, expensive, and fraught with risk to everybody involved, but it can also be really interesting for the registrar, and in an ideal world the process works something like this:

1: Borrowing institution asks the owners for the loan, which is agreed. Registrar arranges a whole bunch of paperwork (condition assessment, risk assessment, mandates of acceptable storage, light, and humidity conditions during the loan, etc...) basically terms and conditions.

2: Registrar arranges for special insurance coverage for the loan. This is usually contingent on getting a fresh valuation from a reputable art dealer (so Sotheby's or Christie's in the UK) - if you fail to comply with a bunch of small print at this stage the insurer could refuse to pay out any claims in case of damage or loss. Any extra premium to cover this insurance is paid by the borrowing institution.

3: If loaning abroad, the registrar gets an export licence from the government to allow the work to leave the country - a bunch of paperwork, but it's a criminal offence to do it wrong or to breach the terms that the government set for you. This is to stop nationally important works of art being sold off to Saudi oil sheikhs or Russian kleptocrat tycoons on the sly.

4: Registrar arranges for an art courier to collect the work and take it to the borrowing institution - the courier is paid for by the borrowing institution, but chosen by the lender. If travelling abroad this could involve flights and multiple couriers, but some couriers will just drive straight across Europe no problem.

5: the registrar accompanies the artwork on the journey. This can be loving awesome - you get paid (all costs met by the borrowing institution) to accompany to artwork "nail to nail" - from the moment it's uninstalled from your building till the moment it's installed at the new place, but you don't lay a finger on it the whole time; you're just there to observe and verify that everything's done properly. You also get a couple of nights in a decent hotel paid for by the borrower, along with a per diem to cover meals and entertainment. At the end of 2 or 3 days you go and inspect the artwork once it has been installed by the borrower, assess security and environmental conditions, sign off that everything went smoothly and meets your conditions, and that the work hasn't been damaged. You then gently caress off home.

6: Do the whole process in reverse at the end of the loan.

All the costs for this are met by the group that's borrowing, but they're generally happy to do it, because having a representative of the owner present for every step of the process cuts out any bullshit - if there's no registrar present the object could be damaged at any point in transit and it would be very difficult to prove exactly when it happened and who was responsible. When there's multiple millions of in liability it's just not worth loving around with for the cost of 3 nights in a hotel, 100 per diem and a couple of plane tickets.

So that's how it's supposed to happen.

At the place I worked my department was headed up by one of the board of directors. This was unusual in that most departments had a manager in charge, and the manager reported to the directors every few months, and they reported to the owner, who we basically never saw. But our director was there nearly every day. Now, this guy was lazy as poo poo - he would come in every day and lock himself in his office where he would play with his phone all morning, take 2 hour lunch breaks, and sleep all afternoon. He did nothing whatsoever, but still took all the credit for everything that went on. We actually didn't mind this, because as the highest ranking person in the building, we reported directly to him, and got no bullshit from the rest of the museum, which was a toxic hellworld of drama, politics and backstabbing. Everybody knew we answered to the directors, so they left us alone, and our director was so lazy he just let us do whatever we wanted.

But one year we got a request for a very important loan of a very important piece of art to a very important exhibition - I'm talking household name Old Master who you have definitely heard of, and the picture was being loaned to a massive exhibition of this artist's work. Naturally the owner agreed, but our director was determined that on this one he needed to be front and centre of every decision, and his signature had to be on every bit of paperwork, because the owner was actually paying attention for once because of the value of the picture and the prestige of the exhibition.
The problem was that after years of doing nothing our director didn't have a loving clue how anything practical was done, and was anyway incapable of sitting still and focusing on one task for any length of time. In the six months between being asked for the loan and the thing needing to be shipped I don't think he spent 60 consecutive minutes working on the list of tasks I outlined above, which generally take about a month to get sorted under normal circumstances. He refused multiple offers of help, and when his glaring mistakes wee point out he would pretend nothing was wrong.

Working from memory he:

First thing, right off the bat: he got the loving picture mixed up with a totally different picture by the same artist. The one we (correctly) sent was a masterpiece worth at least double digit millions, but when looking up the values in our inventory he confused it with another, similar picture by the same artists that was 1/3 the value.

hosed up the insurance at least 3 different ways - Firstly by confusing the pictures and their values - so the value he gave in the paperwork was 30% of what it should have been. Secondly by not obtaining a fresh valuation (the small print requires valuations for the purposes of claims be no more than 90 days old) and thirdly by not filing the papers with the broker in time, so that this unbelievably valuable picture left the building with no insurance, eventually got insurance coverage that probably wouldn't have been honoured in the event of disaster, and which would only have covered about 1/3 of the value even if they had paid up, because it was the WONG loving PICTURE.
He also didn't want to send any of us with it to observe and document the movement because there was too much going on in the office, and certainly didn't want to go himself as that would have interfered with his social calendar.
Not having somebody accompany the work in transit is a huge risk for the reasons I gave above, but it's not an uncommon attitude. In these situations most museums will find another institution they know of that is lending to the same exhibition, and ask if they can use the same courier and have their registrar watch over both pieces of art. He didn't know to do this, and at this point I and all my colleagues are sick of the guy and didn't bothered to clue him in.

Then when he applied for the export licence with the government he gave the opening and closing dates of the exhibition itself as the bounding dates for the work being out of the country - this left no time for transit out of and back into the country (usually a couple of weeks each end to allow for poo poo happening). So the work left the country too early to begin with and was guaranteed to come back too late - this was an actual crime punishable with massive fines.

Well, luck was with him, and the artwork arrived intact and undamaged to the exhibition, which was a great success. It was so successful in fact that the borrowers asked if they could extend all their loans for a further 3 months, to let the exhibition run longer. The owner agreed, which was fine, but naturally this means you need to re-do the insurance and the export licence. But by this point our boss was bored of paperwork and having to like actually arrange things and deal with people, so he just.... didn't. The work spent the following three months in a foreign country with no insurance in violation of a government-granted temporary export licence, which was a criminal offence. By this point I or my colleague would have normally just stepped in and done it, but our director was so jealous of the prestige associated with this exhibition that he wouldn't let anybody else touch it.

And I'm sorry to say that nothing happened.

At the end of the loan we managed to get the picture back home safely. Our director never squared away the insurance paperwork, and never bothered to apply for an extension to the export licence. He even forgot to inform the export licensing authority that the work had returned. He learned nothing, and was still happily sleeping away his afternoons in his office when I left that role a couple years later.

That was like a novel, but still a great read.

communism bitch posted:

"We actually didn't mind this, because as the highest ranking person in the building, we reported directly to him, and got no bullshit from the rest of the museum, which was a toxic hellworld of drama, politics and backstabbing."

:350:

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Antivehicular posted:

I'm just going to a post I made a few months ago, about a job I had working for a biotech startup a few years ago:

Basically everything about that job was that miserable. I lasted 10 months and haven't worked in a lab since.

So like Theranos wasn't an anomaly so much as an uncommon thing. Jesus.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reading this thread has made me realize while i may not have always liked my jobs, i haven't really had a truly lovely job. prioritizing work found through friends and connections has worked well for me

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

I work at BiMart currently. It's "employee-owned" in name only (ESOP - not real ownership). Corporate runs the place like the Alliance of American Football. I'm looking for a better job right now.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I worked in a cold storage facility for a while. Entire place was like 2 degrees celsius and every 10 mins or so a truck would back up to one of the doors and you'd have to unload a bunch of 30 kilo boxes of frozen bait onto a pallet. As you unloaded boxes your hands would melt the ice on the outside of the box and they would become slippery.

Normally I don't manual labour but everyone who worked there was really mean and weird, I guess because of what their lives were like. I think I did it for a month because the pay was crazy, like $30AUD an hour in 2005. But then I got a job doing nightfill at a supermarket which was way easier.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Entire thread just reminded me that gently caress capitalism, smash the state, and full communism now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

kazr posted:

Entire thread just reminded me that gently caress capitalism, smash the state, and full communism now

No Gods

No Masters