Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
In between getting my rear end kicked at work and binging WOW: The CatholicTV challenge I need to take a break and tilt at the windmill that is Cable TV gameshows. I'm using wikipedia's list for active game shows; they'll advertise a premiere like mad, but finding out a show is cancelled basically involves finding Ben Gleib and asking him when Idiotest is coming back.

Game Show Network Does what it says on the tin. Over the past year they've tried to do the every weekday afternoon schedule for new episodes. Currently the only two Classic game shows on their schedule are Match Game '7X and 2000's era Wheel of Fortune.
  • Common Knowledge: Teams given multiple choices on questions that about "Common" things
  • America Says: From what I've seen, it's a cleaner clone of Family Fued.
  • Cash Cab: I think the next season will be back on A&E but this show pops up everywhere

Food Network Wikipedia doesn't list any of the competitive cooking shows but gently caress you there's a winner who sometimes gets cash at the end of the episode/season, they're game shows to me, dammit. The format on all of them is essentially the same: receive ingredients, make food that judges like better, collect prize. The editing on every show tries to make it seem like the judges votes are closer than they really are. This is a majority of Food Network programming--The Cooking Channel has more of the actual cooking shows.
  • Chopped: Sometimes things like this happen:
  • The Great Food Truck Race: the only show I've seen where your sales determine how far you go.
  • Guy's Grocery Games: Kinda like Supermarket Sweep, but you have to cook after you run through the store.
  • (Insert Holiday Here) (Cooking/Baking) Challenge: Make Seasonal food, each contest lives and dies on the charisma of those on screen.
  • Beat Bobby Flay: He's got like a .700 batting average, you need to make something he doesn't know and maybe you'll beat him. You still won't.
  • BBQ Brawl Flay v Symon: Newest show that's getting the "play same commercial every break for three months" treatment. I think the two chefs are drafting teams of barbecue contestants.
  • Worst Cooks in America: also has Celebrity and Baking variants.

Nickelodeon
  • Double Dare: It's back to help Mark Summer's OCD once again. Yes, you still get a trip to Space Camp at the end.
  • The Crystal Maze: See TelevisedInsanity's post on the first page
  • Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?: John Cena takes over from Jeff Foxworthy. It takes 11 questions of Elementary School subjects to win the million. Only a Superintendent and a Nobel Prize Winner have answered all 11.

The Rest of Cable Considering 80's cable was full of repeats, I'm not surprised that there's not more first run game shows.
  • The Joker's Wild: Spin the slots with Snoop Dogg to win cash in multiples of $420.
  • Lip Sync Battle: The guests have become more obscure and the viral moments are becoming more and more fleeting. The secret to winning is cross-dressing. Chrissy Teigen may or may not be naked in each episode.
  • Ru Paul's Drag Race: There's a small part of me that wants a 40 yard dash to be a part of this show, but I am not the intended demographic by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Project Runway: Rumors are it's on it's deathbed after some big cast changes flopped.
  • The Challenge: MTV kept the Road Rules/Real World crossover oh who am I kidding the youths don't watch this channel anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The latest game show to be green lit by ABC is called Don't, where tasks like successfully not blinking could be rewarded up to $1,000,000:
https://abc.go.com/news/insider/dont-new-game-show-ryan-reynolds-coming-to-abc

Elsewhere, NBC is now advertising someone has achieved Total Victory on Ninja Warrior. It ruins some of the suspense for me, but I get that they are trying to get as many eyeballs as they can. I hope Matt and Ackbar actually get excited, unlike in 2014 where it got the "That's all the time we have on Nitro, we'll see you Thursday for Thu..." treatment.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Legends of the Industrial Temple also looks promising; I don't know what it says about either Nickelodeon's budget or modern transatlantic airplane tickets that they'll film this in England instead of whipping something up in a backlot.

well, for what its worth, they flew people out to peru for estate of panic (god, what an awesome show that was), and i think a lot of international versions of wipeout also did the same.

it's possible they sold this to networks in a number of countries as a cost-saving measure. just fly everybody out to the one, massive set instead of everybody building their own.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Heard they were flying people out to South America for international versions of Release the Hounds (UK game show about surviving horror-themed challenges and outrunning a pack of dogs to win the money.) But haven't heard anything about it since, so I'm guessing it got scrapped like the US version of The Cube.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Elsewhere, NBC is now advertising someone has achieved Total Victory on Ninja Warrior. It ruins some of the suspense for me, but I get that they are trying to get as many eyeballs as they can. I hope Matt and Ackbar actually get excited, unlike in 2014 where it got the "That's all the time we have on Nitro, we'll see you Thursday for Thu..." treatment.

I'm guessing this was the idea behind the Speed Pass/Safety Pass concept introduced this season. Up the odds of someone completing the whole thing by giving people less work on the way there/a do-over if they fail.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

blast0rama posted:

I'm guessing this was the idea behind the Speed Pass/Safety Pass concept introduced this season. Up the odds of someone completing the whole thing by giving people less work on the way there/a do-over if they fail.

The do-over should help at least one of the six to get to stage 3, but all bets are off after that. I'm curious if it will backfire on anyone because they've been gassed out by running an extra stage.

EDIT: The National Finals is now a 4 week event. They're better not be any edits! Who am I kidding, there will be.

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 16, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nobody will ever win huge money on Spin the Wheel.

It’s a combination of buffoon contestants not knowing answers to relatively easy questions, and loved ones bring cowards who press the button at the end and wipe out 80% of the person’s winnings.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

The do-over should help at least one of the six to get to stage 3, but all bets are off after that. I'm curious if it will backfire on anyone because they've been gassed out by running an extra stage.

EDIT: The National Finals is now a 4 week event. They're better not be any edits! Who am I kidding, there will be.

God I hate how they edit out so many of my favorite ninjas in favor of lovely new guys with sob stories.

Like Jamie Rahn never gets an entire qualifying run or city finals run shown it seems. And he's in my top 10.

I do get a kick out of Grant McCartney showing up in the cheering section of 3/7 of the competitors because he can fly to all the qualifiers and finals for free.

Wonder who will get total victory. My guess is Daniel Gil or Sean Bryan. Maybe Dreschel. Moravsky is fading IMO I don't think he will do as well as normal. I was so annoyed at Caldiero winning 4 or 5 years ago. That guy was such a tool and I loved when he failed out before even making stage 1 when he came back. They should have given the money to both winners not just the fastest.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Victorkm posted:

God I hate how they edit out so many of my favorite ninjas in favor of lovely new guys with sob stories.

Like Jamie Rahn never gets an entire qualifying run or city finals run shown it seems. And he's in my top 10.

I do get a kick out of Grant McCartney showing up in the cheering section of 3/7 of the competitors because he can fly to all the qualifiers and finals for free.

Wonder who will get total victory. My guess is Daniel Gil or Sean Bryan. Maybe Dreschel. Moravsky is fading IMO I don't think he will do as well as normal. I was so annoyed at Caldiero winning 4 or 5 years ago. That guy was such a tool and I loved when he failed out before even making stage 1 when he came back. They should have given the money to both winners not just the fastest.

Jamie Rahn really got screwed over for TV time this year. If you get married, wife gets diagnosed with MS, etc. they'll let you have a second puff piece. I'm digging that Grant is trying to be serious for a season after what he did to himself last year. I feel real bad for two categories of Ninjas: the ones who have now run all 11 seasons and those who have been overshadowed by their girlfriends while still being strong competitors themselves. I thought Crhis DiGangi or James MCGraff filled both, but they might have both missed a season.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Here's the 28th cast of Dancing With the Stars:
code:
 Celebrities:

Lauren Alaina – country music star
    Christie Brinkley – supermodel
    Ally Brooke – pop star
    Hannah Brown – The Bachelorette
    Karamo Brown – TV host
    Kate Flannery – TV star
    Ray Lewis – NFL Hall of Famer
    Kel Mitchell – comedian/actor
    Lamar Odom – two-time NBA champion
    Sean Spicer – former White House press secretary
    James Van Der Beek – TV icon
    Mary Wilson – The Supremes

Professional dancers:

Brandon Armstrong
    Lindsay Arnold
    Alan Bersten
    Cheryl Burke
    Witney Carson
    Val Chmerkovskiy
    Sasha Farber
    Jenna Johnson
    Daniella Karagach
    Keo Motsepe 
    Peta Murgatroyd
    Pasha Pashkov
    Gleb Savchenko
    Emma Slater
I think my money's on James VanDerBeek if I have my demographics correct.

Elsewhere, I started watching Supermarket Stakeout with my wife on Food Network. The premise is surprisingly complex for food network: Alex Guarnascheli hands you $500 and gives you the themes for each of the three rounds. You then have to accost people coming out of a grocery store to buy their food so you can make the dishes, budgeting your money on the assumption you make it to the final round. One of the constants last night was a total blockhead and may have given away the bit by saying "These shoppers looked staged! :downs:" I have to agree with him-- I can't imagine selling some of my grocery orders for only $120.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've been catching up on some of the new Press Your Luck and while some of it is seriously impressive (in the "I am shocked they put this much cash into the set design" sense), there's a few things it does that absolutely annoy the piss out of me. Like has been said earlier in the thread, yeah, the main game is nearly entirely untouched, which is good, it still plays well.

The flow of the main game is a little stilted, though, presumably because they have to pad out a full 30 minutes of tape with a game meant to be run in 22, which leads to the players being asked if they want to pass after every spin, and they think about it for a couple seconds and then they drop a full sentence containing the name of the show, even in situations where they only reasonable move is to spin again - compare to the original where the board ops will start the board moving even before Tomarken finishes asking the player, and players will just point at the board and say "go" or "keep going."

The animated gifs of lights on the video walls instead of actual lights or just straight LEDs look so chintzy, the bonus game is interminable (and really, there's no way in gently caress you're making it to round six, which is the only place where (I presume) the cash amounts let you get anywhere near 500k) and the now-obligatory emotional content (this one contestant I'm watching just actually said "family is important to me", which like, okay, and?) drives me up the wall.

It could be so much worse, though, so I appreciate them not totally breaking one of my favorite games of my childhood.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

hexwren posted:

It could be so much worse, though, so I appreciate them not totally breaking one of my favorite games of my childhood.

I've got pretty thick rose colored glasses for this revival, but I agree with you about the flow. I think it's the bonus round that screws up the editing and timing of the first round. I can only imagine someone crashing out or quitting in the first round that would totally blow the show up. Reviving daytime gameshows and maybe pairing it with Match Game would be my fantasy; I'll keep praying to Wink Martindale that this comes true.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Just a few updates from the last month or so

The Misery Index with the Impractical Jokers debuted - the third round is a golden snitch and promotes their trutv show

Supermarket Sweep came and went on ITV - I enjoyed it.

The Tournament of Champions on Jeopardy is coming up.

HQ might be reaching it's final moments.

Craig Ferguson has a game show coming soon called "The Hustler" on ABC

Fox might cancel all their game shows (except masked singer) due to budget concerns.

The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal debuted, CBS ALL ACCESS account holders can watch these shows wherever they want. You don't have to pretend to be sick to watch anymore!

Wheel of Fortune is still boring.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
You're telling me a big rear end wheel is too expensive, but Holey Moley can get renewed with it's giant rear end mini golf course. That or Rob Riggle will work for pennies on the dollar compared to Jamie Fox and Dax Shepherd.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

You're telling me a big rear end wheel is too expensive, but Holey Moley can get renewed with it's giant rear end mini golf course. That or Rob Riggle will work for pennies on the dollar compared to Jamie Fox and Dax Shepherd.

ABC is going all-in with reality-formats (my guess is the WGA Strike is scaring them, so they are trying to get as many game shows and reality-comps as possible as a "in case of emergency")

FOX is losing their rear end on WWE, and considering the network's track record is 50/50, for every "Hell's Kitchen" or "MasterChef" there is a "Utopia" or "Boom!" - it's not looking good. They do have new formats most likely already completed such as "Flirty Dancing" and "Lego Builders", but am unsure when they'll air, or if it'll be season 2 winners.

CBS is reducing Amazing Race, in favor of Survivor twice a year, and Big Brother having the mini-Celebrity season and the summer series (to also try and push CBS All Access) but it's really just Price and Deal as far as game shows are concerned. They have the worst track record so far in recent history - Million Dollar Mile, TKO and Candy Crush (Love Island wasn't even as trashy as the UK counterpart)

NBC is not really taking risks, The Wall Season 3 is collecting dust, Hollywood Game Night & Ellen's "Game of Games" are picking up the "in-studio" formats, while they continue having the same transition from The Voice to America's Got Talent with a dash of "American Ninja Warrior" thrown in.

That all that's left is Syndication - and GSN's strategy is creating original content for the purposes of not paying Fremantle (who now has "Buzzr") any extra money. So with original content they can rerun on the network, they can also make extra revenue through syndication, which is what they are doing with America Says (I'm assuming, they are going to try that out with Common Knowledge, Catch 21, and any other new format they try and develop)

There is also all the Quibi shows in development (which I see as disposable) and a series of "The Circle" coming soon to Netflix.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/banijay-endemol-deal-franchises-big-brother-survivor-black-mirror-1249497

Also Banijay and Endemol just did a merger, which means layoffs and MAYBE THAT MEANS WOLVERINE CAN PLAY DEAL OR NO DEAL :cheeky:

(most of this stuff, i talk about on the podcast, but if you read some of these press releases)

Anyway, Cash Cab is back again, I can't wait to see it again in two years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8eb9Xdm_WE

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
For some reason I was thinking ABC and FOX's budget were pooled together with the rest of the Disney money in a literal Scrooge McDuck vault.

I'm bored, trying to watch Nashville Squares and woof. Two more celebrities playing for the contestants, dragging though the game (in the first episode, X won after $4000 which took all of seven questions?), Bill Engvall seems to be the recurring celebirty but isn't the center square. They're trying to be Match Game '16 without the speed and half the charm. If I need my Squares fix I'll stick with that bonkers Match Game Hollywood Squares hour that was finally allowed out of the Vault.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I just saw it and it really is just Hip Hop Squares, but "Nashville" - and it's still cheap in my opinion.

It makes me wonder why they just don't go back to "Hollywood Squares" and syndicate it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://mobile.twitter.com/WheelofFortune/status/1192930873303130112

Game show hosts're dying, Cloud

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

If there is any good news, Vanna is hosting "Secret Santa" week and I guess Mickey Mouse is going to be working the Puzzle Board?

https://twitter.com/WheelofFortune/status/1192962616051658754

Also in "Panel Game" news

League of their Own is going to be on CBS as "Game On"
https://deadline.com/2019/10/cbs-remake-james-corden-a-league-of-their-own-1202773343/

And Taskmaster is getting pulled from Dave, and there is a bidding war between BBC and Channel 4 to air it.
https://tbivision.com/2019/11/01/exclusive-avalon-pulls-taskmaster-from-uktv-as-channel-4-circles/

This might mean the possibility of it airing like Great British BakeOff on Netflix (or Brit Box maybe?)

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Sean Spicer avoids becoming the next Bobby bones on Dancing, finally being eliminated tonight. I'm not sure if preventing half the country from voting was really part of the reforms they needed to boost the ratings.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I've been catching up on podcasts, and "Televised insanity catharts over lovely press releases" is definitely a high point.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Putting Spicer on was a bad call by casting, and they should really avoid the Trump Bump - celebrity big brother did that twice, and it didn't help. Just wait for the administration to end, and then maybe, if humanity isn't dead, you might see spicey on HGTV's "Celebrity Design Challenge" or something.

I've been catching up on podcasts, and "Televised insanity catharts over lovely press releases" is definitely a high point.

I've seen and heard so many formats, many innovative formats, some are reboots of classic game shows, others are things like "The Genius Game".

So whenever I see deadline posting a press release for "America's Next Ice Cream Flavor" or "Let's Do a Quiz About Social Media"

I immediately think "they passed on The Genius for this" or "we could have GamecenterCX, but instead this" or "Oh boy, another Arts & Crafts comp show on a shoe string budget with twelve executive producers that will see most of the budget as the set and prize will be cheap"

It's the most frustrating thing in the world, and sometimes there is a format I read and go "oh that's interesting" but ultimately it just rings to me "ah gently caress, I'm listing game shows to cover in future episodes, this sucks"

And considering the only new shows right now airing is "Misery Index" (with a Round 3 Golden Snitch) and "Nashville Squares : Hope These Bits Go Viral" - there really is not a lot going until Christmas

When you'll see Light Fight, American Baking Show Holiday (even though they haven't done a normal season for a few years), and a special episode of game of games on November 27, and a season of "Making It" to air every day for a week.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
ABC renewed all the shows in Summer Fun & Games :toot:

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Welcome back everybody, here's stuff you might have missed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t-_iyP4ruU

The Crystal Maze is coming to NICKELODEON January 24th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLeiwEvtaKQ

Vanna White is hosting Wheel of Fortune this week featuring Disney characters.

and just because...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YhsooE5xY

Taskmaster is also on YouTube officially! So you don't need to :filez:

(Also, Only Connect should return very soon, and the debut of "Epic Game Show")

And finally HOW ABOUT SOME STAR WARS

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLeiwEvtaKQ

Vanna White is hosting Wheel of Fortune this week featuring Disney characters.

I feel like I was given this scenario in grade school: We'll let you flip the letters on Wheel of Fortune, but you tell anyone and you're dead.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Vanna getting to host for the first time in, what? 30 years? Good for her.

I really hope the US Crystal Maze doesn't kill the spirit, but they filmed it in the UK maze, so they can't screw it up that bad. Nick's other game show right now is Top Elf, where kids who are too old to be doing this compete in arts & crafts competitions for Santa to become the Top Elf and win all sorts of toys I don't know the names of.

I can't wait for that Star Wars show. Legend of the Hidden Temple + Ninja Warrior + Star Wars, and Jar Jar Binks is hosting for cripes' sake.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

https://www.thewrap.com/nickelodeons-legends-of-the-hidden-temple-revived-at-quibi/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

They cancelled double dare btw, also this is gonna be on Quibi. Everybody who listened to the podcast knows I hate Quibi.

But anyway, get ready for the nostalgia of the actually mediocre kids show where people went into the finders keepers house but got jump scared and lost because the producers could only afford huffy bikes.

https://deadline.com/2019/12/quibis-singled-out-revival-keke-palmer-joel-kim-booster-host-mtv-studios-1202808295/

Didn't they JUST revive it for YouTube? Now they got Keke and Joel Kim Booster?

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/12/11/get-a-clue-logo-design/

And here's the next game show network show, lean back, harmless, passive.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Swing for the fences Quibi:
https://m.eonline.com/news/1103131/legends-of-the-hidden-temple-revival-in-the-works-for-adults

Make the ten minutes all about the monkey, no one's going to solve it.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Updating the thread, because of all the news that happened
Also a lazy plug for "Game Shows, I Suppose" the podcast I do!

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2020.../20200108abc10/

ABC picked up Supermarket Sweep, Leslie Jones is not only EP, she's hosting it.

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2020.../20200108abc11/

There is a new bachelor spin-off trying to be like "Flirty Dancing" called "Listen to Your Heart"

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2020.../20200108abc12/

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE IS COMING BACK WITH JIMMY KIMMEL
but it's with celebrities and it sounds like the +1 is replacing phone a friend still

https://www.thewrap.com/masked-singer-masked-dancer-ellen-show-new-fox-series/

Ellen's ripoff "Masked Singer" called "Masked Dancer" is going to the network that brings us "Masked Singer"

still no word on "Don't" for ABC, even thought it's already filmed and adam scott hosted it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Bring Norm McDonald back to tear though fifteen more questions.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let’s not forget our Canadian neighbors — there’s a documentary coming up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1wS8l_ztE8

Hey, it’s the dude from Conan’s trip to the wax museum!

edit: but seriously, adam's biographies of bill cullen, alan ludden, and dennis james are great reads and worth the couple of bucks for the ebooks.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 23, 2020

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVrr5H6BgPA

just watched this show, and it's the show that just screams "NBC on Wednesday Nights for One Season Then Cancelled" (with a $50,000 Top Prize)

The show is simple - just not come in first or last in any challenge, sometimes it's based on scoring (speed) sometimes it's based on most/least (such as "write down ANY hashtag, how many times it's used on Instagram") or just picking somebody from the audience.

The final round, when it goes to three is a "How Much Is Enough" style game, where all three players write down secretly how much they want to take home. Too Greedy, and they lose, Least Amount also loses.

I've also been watching "The Circle" on Netflix and loving it, I was *this* close to writing the TVIV thread for it, because I loved the show in the UK, and was glad it came to the states, and things like Survivor/BigBrother/AmazingRace/Bachelor does so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJqBNYvqF7I

I am glad people are getting into this show, I felt like such a champion of this format when it debuted a while back, and just now people seeing it and loving it and having that same reaction as I do (including the ULTRA RARE Genius Ah-Ha Moment) makes me love it so so much.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jeopardy-the-greatest-of-all-time-part-2-tv-ratings-1203461795/

also, can't believe jeopardy won the night, it truly is "The Ambassador of Game Shows" and glad people are catching wind, and I don't feel like such a weirdo in public when people say "did you see Jeopardy GOAT" and them telling me who they want (Typically it's James, because ESPN/Sports Backgrounds or Ken Jennings because of his broad, mainstream success)

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

ABC picked up Supermarket Sweep

:thumbsup:

Leslie Jones is not only EP, she's hosting it.

:geno:

Hope they don't mess with the format too much, as it's superior to the UK version. Calling Jones a "genius" doesn't encourage confidence.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
American Ninja Warrior is back with its USA vs the world special Sunday, with almost zero advertising. They've also been officially renewed for their ninth season on NBC, but will only tape in three cities for qualifying. I don't know if this is more for cost saving or time saving (the Tokyo Olympics sucking all the oxygen out in August).

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in old game show news, it's always a treat when more episodes of Whew! show up, and wink martindale's youtube brand has found an absolute doozy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwEYZcdJdZA

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and i'll admit this is a personal thing, because i love seeing the process by which a show goes from a pitch, to an office runthrough, to the pilot (and in some cases, pilots), to the actual series.

wheel of fortune, for instance, was an absolute clusterfuck in the "shopper's bazaar" pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKRebb0xuhQ

(even chuck woolery talked about how much bullshit that was, in the rare moment when he wasn't blaming brown people for the world's problems)

it moved a little closer to what we know now (albeit Ed "Kooky" Byrnes was completely in the bag [allegedly] when he was hosting it, to the point where merv griffin overheard him trying to remember which letters were vowels). but props for using maynard fergusons' "give it one" for the theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x5wmlf4A_g&t=34s

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 23, 2020

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Oh boy, the thread got updated, so now i can update as well...

Game Shows, I Suppose is still going up, recently we talked BODY LANGUAGE, and are still going strong, as everybody's favorite weekly game show podcast hosted by me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuLy_6BEZ6A

Nickelodeon's Crystal Maze is up on the 24th (that's today) and it looks like a fun show, 8 games are played per show (boo) but Adam as Maze Master is fun (yay) and the $25,000 in the Crystal Dome is very old school game show (yay) and the games are still fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyGvGlO5mI

Bravo put up an episode of Spy Games, it's a game show where 10 contestants are trained like Spies, while there is a game within the game - aquire the "secrets" of all of your opponents while preserving your own (somewhat like Identity, but with everybody trying to figure it out, with a The Mole style quiz at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MWEL5tdqlo

Hot Ones The Game Show came up with a trailer.... yep.

http://ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Poll_of_the_Year_2019

The UK Game Show List is Now Out - can you guess the best game shows on the list?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The UK Game Show List is Now Out - can you guess the best game shows on the list?

I hadn't heard most of these, but with the collapse of the two legitimate websites (and partial reanimation of one) I tend to watch this stuff on, it's not entirely surprising. I honestly want to dig into some of these, even the failures sound interesting.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I enjoyed The Circle and am kinda glad they broke up the episode releases a little bit. Also glad Joey won but I think he was a bit smoother than he let on. It reminded me of when I used to get excited about Big Brother, though haven't watched it in years.

Watching The Great Interior Design Challenge on Netflix, it's a good concept, some of the contestants are talented, but parts of the episodes feel rushed like the presentations to clients and that gets in the way of me caring very much about who wins.

VVV edit, sorry, really I am, was in the wrong mindset. VVV

wormil fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 1, 2020

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

wormil posted:

I enjoyed The Circle and am kinda glad they broke up the episode releases a little bit.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for posting who won without using any spoiler tags or giving a heads-up of any kind. I was halfway through when I checked to see if anyone in this thread was talking about it, and really appreciate that you managed to ruin the suspense of those last few episodes for me. VERY cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Welcome Back Friends, just to update you all on the world of game shows

SURVIVOR: WINNERS AT WAR debuted, you know the TVIV thread. you're there right now...

http://jordanhass.com/podcast/ironchef

Game Shows I Suppose is STILL going on, today (minutes ago) i uploaded the IRON CHEF episode.

HQ is no longer a thing.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/wil-wheaton-host-esports-reality-competition-series-1278590

wil whedon gets a video game reality show

the crystal maze is still going on

spy games is still going on

ellens game of games got a season 4 pickup

no word yet on millionaire or supermarket sweep (they said april)

deal or no deal is no longer on CNBC, must be cancelled

the wall is on sundays at 7pm for burnoffs (there was a new format point and i think that might have done them in besides hardwick)

and hot ones the game show debuted today, yep.